• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Metal Gear's "Quiet" figurine features squishable boobs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10571
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Älg

I would say both are equally sexualized. Problem is that women in gaming are sexualized too much while the men are not.
Kojima's intentions may be pure but his methods are incorrect

I get the feeling that Kojima doens't have any intentions. He's just doing what he thinks is fun.

KingGondo

Banned
I honestly don't care about the squishy chest very much, and it actually makes sense that it would be malleable for poseability.

It's the character design itself that I find ridiculous.

Brawndo Addict said:
It's a god damn video game, the only real reason she has to be naked is because of Kojima. He can make her power work however he wants but lo and behold this one requires her to be naked. Oh sorry, not actually naked, apparently nudity is the one taboo Kojima can't tackle, so she's just gonna wear a bikini and ripped nylons and have her breast size doubled over Stephanie's. She can wear nylons on her legs but obviously she can't wear shorts or a tank top, it would break the tenuous grip we have on the coherent Metal Gear fiction. Never mind that the End could use photosynthesis in a Ghillie suit, we're gonna retcon that away. Her power obviously requires her to be just mostly naked, covering up her arms or legs would leave her with not enough skin to absorb the sun. That's not just some trivial thing that was arbitrarily decided and could be changed on a whim, it's a hard physical parameter in the universe that must be obeyed.
Thank you, very good post.

MadClacker said:
The fact this is a 23 page thread already highlights just how sensitive people are nowadays.
Thanks for helping to make it longer with this stellar contribution.

Arkeband

Banned
This isn't about what you're trying to make it about, yes Kojima made a perverted tweet, I'm not arguing against that, I'm just trying to show that this isn't his perverted design decision to create a "boob physics" feature, it's an action figure decision to increase poseability and nothing more.

Of course it would be less offensive if Quiet was wearing anything other than a Bikini...but since that's her design, they have to play ball.

I tried to take some pictures to show the effect (in the name of science of course.....)

zBfAd3y.jpg

ydovI57.jpg

It's much harder to notice on snake since he's in a thick sneaking suit as opposed to a skimpy bikini, but it's there.

This is the kind of post that either kills a thread or spawns a parody.

I wouldn't call the ones you quoted angry or outraged, especially in the context of an internet discussion on a controversial topic.

So what if someone is angry or outraged? It's ridiculous to decide the merits of a discussion based on emotional tone policing, particularly when people try to handwave the problem away or claim media portrayals don't matter or that it's somehow censorship because people had the audacity to talk about something on an internet forum.

I am angry and tired of having to pull teeth to get people to admit that female character designs are overtly and intentionally sexualized, let alone that media portrayals can be problematic.

Kurdel

Banned
Älg;163543504 said:
There we go.

Metal Gear Solid is arguably one of the few series where there are more sexualized men than women.

I think this is disingenuous, considering that Raiden in MGS 2 was a complete and utter failure, and was relegated to lol he is gay joke status in MGS 3.

Thank you for this wonderful, wonderful post.

Kojima was delighted when he found out her boobs could be squished, don't think he checked to see if Snakes chest was.

Just go and read the definition of outrage.

Älg;163544242 said:
I get the feeling that Kojima doens't have any intentions. He's just doing what he thinks is fun.

That's what I meant. Kojima's having fun while the rest (Say Team Ninja) are making sleaze so to speak. So basically everyone's like Kojima's making sleaze too!

Problem is that he just doesn't care about industry politics and what's "appropriate"
Which is both a good thing (artistic freedom) and a bad thing

I think this is disingenuous, considering that Raiden in MGS 2 was a complete and utter failure, and was relegated to lol he is gay joke status in MGS 3.

That was really sad.

KingGondo

Banned
So what if someone is angry or outraged? It's ridiculous to decide the merits of a discussion based on emotional tone policing, particularly when people try to handwave the problem away or claim it media portrayals don't matter or that it's somehow censorship because people had the audacity to talk about something on an internet forum.

I am angry and tired of having to pull teeth to get people to admit that female character designs are overtly and intentionally sexualized, let alone that media portrayals can be problematic.
I agree with you in principle. My post was in the context of a debate about whether or not the tone of those who don't like Quiet's design would qualify as "outraged."

From what I've seen this thread has been about 1/2 civil discussion (between people of different opinions, even), 1/4 handwaving, and 1/4 drive-by "I'll buy as many as I can get" or "LOL Kojima based troll god!" bullshit.

LocalE

I don't even. Why is Kojima/MGS moving against anything people managed to achieve when it comes to women in gaming recently?

This all is so weird to me.

What's wrong with squishable doll boobies? How does that go against anything positive that may have been previously achieved?

I don't see a problem, or why it would be weird.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So we've established that the characteristics of the figure are not particular to the gender or sex appeal of the character portrayed, and the Snake figure has the same fleshiness. Quiet as a character design is certainly up for legitimate debate as far as objectification in gaming, but the story presented in the OP operates under false pretenses and is heavily agenda-driven, so this thread is a bust (as it were).

As a closing commentary, Akihabara is easily the creepiest place on the planet. You probably really don't want to buy figures catering to the otaku market segment for your own mental and social health. That being said, merchandising for anime/manga/gaming in Japan is so ridiculously depraved and targeted at pedophiles that it's difficult to bat an eye whatsoever at this Quiet doll, which, despite any squishability, depicts a grown woman with human proportions that overall looks very much like the model in that photo of her holding it (which is neat), and not a 10 year old girl-creature in a maid outfit with ZZ cups and moe eyes as per the status quo.

Don't buy otaku dolls and a big glass case to put them in. Thanks. 'Til next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom