• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate does gain better textures on N3DS after all (pic)

rGah91p.jpg

https://twitter.com/krokounleashed/status/557282412313718784

I remember hearing folks say that wasn't the case, but it's plainly obvious here.

This is the only game so far to have a visual upgrade on N3DS correct? Other games just have faster load times like The Legend of Legacy (apparently it's only a minor boost).

Folks must've played MH4U on both 3DS and N3DS, what are your impressions of the upgrades?

Phazon

Nice! Now patch past games with improved textures :p

Are you going to patch some extra RAM-memory into those platforms? :p

OT: These kind of things are always hard to compare with shots. I noticed that there's sometimes a 'blur' effect on a lot of textures during certain camera angles. Would love to see a 1:1 video comparison soon.

aka_bueno

Also much higher resolution shadows, there's a kinda bad comparison pic of that. Without a New3DS, shadows are really pixelated.

I don't feel like that's a very telling comparison pic.

A good comparison video would help.
It's the snout of a monster at the same angle really close to the screen. It's a pretty good comparison unless (as someone mentioned above me) the texture didn't properly load on the old 3DS

Storm360

Hasn't this been out a while in Japan? I have my Japanese New 3DS on the way so should be interesting to compare...

Perfect, glad I've got my New 3DS to take full advantage of this. I didn't know about this feature... you'd think Nintendo might try advertise little things like this.

Wonder how many other games might have this feature?

Vitacat

I though this was common knowledge?

From what I've read, MH4U has better textures on New 3DS, plus (obviously) C-stick camera control. I wonder if it also loads faster?

I though this was common knowledge?

From what I've read, MH4U has better textures on New 3DS, plus (obviously) C-stick camera control. I wonder if it also loads faster?

It absolutely loads faster on the New 3DS.

43 seconds start-up time on original 3DS XL
14 seconds start-up time on N3DSXL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVLc1DQErTY

However, I heard the intra-area load times are very slightly improved, but not as big of a difference as initial boot time, so the faster load times aren't as big of a deal once the game is booted up.

Vitacat

Still the nub seems the only reason to upgrade.

I dunno.

The vastly improved 3D, faster loads, faster OS, improved browser, exclusive Xenoblade Chronicles, built-in NFC, extra shoulder buttons, wireless SD card access etc. all seem pretty nice too. But yeah, the C-stick offering compatibility with all CPP supported games, old and new, is pretty sweet.

It is a shame there is no video out on a New 3DS yet (as far as I know) making direct feed comparisons impossible.

It absolutely loads faster on the New 3DS.

43 seconds start-up time on original 3DS XL
14 seconds start-up time on N3DSXL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVLc1DQErTY

However, I heard the intra-area load times are very slightly improved, but not as big of a difference as initial boot time, so the faster load times aren't as big of a deal once the game is booted up.
That is like super smash bros. Regular 3DS has to do a full reboot to go into some sort of higher RAM mode (as shown by web browser and miiverse not working as the game is now that using that part of the RAM).

Terrible comparison picture. Need an actual video.
I'd personally wait for better comparisons.
again, not sure what's wrong with the comparison. All it shows is that one texture is noticeably better on the new 3DS which means more textures should be improved as well. We also have that picture of the shadows without jaggies.
Heard on twitter that the draw distance and the loading has been improved as well

That is like super smash bros. Regular 3DS has to do a full reboot to go into some sort of higher RAM mode (as shown by web browser and miiverse not working as the game is now that using that part of the RAM).

Ohh I was wondering why people weren't comparing screenshots taken for miiverse.

Ricky 7

I played the Demo on the New 3DS and thought it didn't look any where near as bad as people on this site made it out to be. I was hearing stuff like it looked like a PS1 game in some regard. Glad this isn't the case and that the textures are actually better on the New 3DS.
The monsters and hunters are extremely detailed in this game and I was quite impressed by their in game models. Another thing I was impressed by was the loading time between traveling to different areas, it's like 1 second or even less sometimes.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I played the Demo on the New 3DS and thought it didn't look any where near as bad as people on this site made it out to be. I was hearing stuff like it looked like a PS1 game in some regard. Glad this isn't the case and that the textures are actually better on the New 3DS.
The monsters and hunters are extremely detailed in this game and I was quite impressed by their in game models. Another thing I was impressed by was the loading time between traveling to different areas, it's like 1 second or even less sometimes.

People don't remember what PS1/N64 era looked like. Wow.

Kurdel

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I just bought a new 3DS and MH4 and the difference is huge.

Better framerate, textures and shadows.

I played like 40 hours on the 3DS XL and thought it looked like shit. I blame the huge pixels blowing it all to hell, the higher pixel density on the smaller 3DS pixels that issue.

This must be common knowledge by now, but I just wanted to share my satisfaction.

Top Bottom