• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my 7 year old nepephephewww is probably going to completely obliterate my retro game collection - and oddly enough I don't care

Isn't that natural though? Some can choose what is important to them and not. As a kid/young adult having a games collection is probably a crowning achievement or source of pride. As you get older, that part can either grow with you or its left behind. Its all how you live your life and want your lifespace to feel. Want clean, sleek and decluttered? Cool. Want loaded shelves of the latest statues and games displays? Cool. However you want to relax and zen out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
5yOd4KI.png

yurqqa

My collection is stored in our basement, safe and away from my 2 mini threats (4 and 2 yo). I tend to buy only physical so my collection is still growing, i have the last spot on my shelves to accomodate my PS4 collection when the PS5 will come out. With PS6 i will definately need more storage space. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Still i don't fall in the digital trap, i love to touch my games from time to time just to remember that i actually own them. :messenger_savoring:

I think publishers should print final editions with all the patches installed and sell it full price, cause you'll buy it again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I sold my retro collection back in 2014 to 2016 mainly. Although I still have some odds and ends around (recently sold a Genesis+Sega CD).

Sometimes I think of what I sold in 2014 and think how much more it is worth now, but I dont dwell on it too much. I made some good money as I collected mainly from 1999-2006ish, and it was all just sitting in boxes anyways.

Yep. I’ve started slowly selling my collection away. Useless clutter that doesnt get touched.
I did the same over the last 5 years or so, all I kept is a Genesis with a couple of games... Not worth much, but they are games I care about.

One of the factors was how I was worried about old electronics rot,CD rot, etc. And the infinite clutter now that I have kids.

BigBooper

I sold my retro collection back in 2014 to 2016 mainly. Although I still have some odds and ends around (recently sold a Genesis+Sega CD).

Sometimes I think of what I sold in 2014 and think how much more it is worth now, but I dont dwell on it too much. I made some good money as I collected mainly from 1999-2006ish, and it was all just sitting in boxes anyways.
I've known a few people that still hang onto their baseball cards.

I've never held something for a real long time, but bought a few physical copies when I knew it would be rare. I tend to sell stuff from a couple generations prior.

Shout out to the mods who decided to leave the title as is and never corrected the spelling of Nephew.

Laughed my ass off reading it as Nephpewpewpewpew in my head.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I think for me it's the physical setting up of consoles and accessories that annoys me. And of course having a TV with the right ports on the back.

The absolute struggle my partner and her sister had last night, trying to hook up a PS2, eventually had to go composite into scart head attachment. Fuzzy as shit, and playing a PS1 game of DDR on the PS2 at that. Gf even brought her older TV downstairs.

For my own part, I've hacked a MegaSG and SuperNT, and between PS5 BC, XBSX BC, and having retail retroarch on it, I've got things almost as slimmed-down on number of consoles as I can, with XBSX basically covering PS1, PS2, SEGA SAT, SEGA DC machines.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have a pretty extensive collection of old systems but not a ton of games. Thankfully soft modding stuff is easy and instead of buying insanely expensive games I just play burned copies. I used to collect but not anymore, just too expensive and that stuff takes up a ton of space.

The only console that I cherish above all else is my Japanese Sega Saturn. It has a mod chip and I have the Pro Action Replay cart that makes it region free.

Hopefully your nephew doesn't destroy the stuff. It'd be cool if he actually got sucked into the games and treated them with respect. Little dude just stumbled on a potentially life changing experience.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I got a call from my dad who found a box with my old C64, Disc Drive, Atari VCS and a shit load of old Amiga discs and cassettes in a box in the attic. So naturally called up and collected it and had an enjoyable few hours going through it and the box of gamer mags, Zapp64, etc.. my kids had a right laugh at the graphics on the box art but i binned all the useless shit, like 40 games on a C90 cassette and kept the originals and promptly fucked it into my attic.. couldn't bare to bin tbh

EDIT: can a mod please fix my spelling of "nephew" (HAH!)

So my parents call me today and tell me my nephew has stumbled across my classic game collection which I keep stored away at their house (1,000km's from where I live). I told him not to touch them but I know him well enough to know my games are fucked. This kid is like Dennis the Menace.

It contains, among other things, mint copies of Super Metriod and the Australian version of Super Paper Mario (which is extremely rare as the release of this game was cancelled at the last minute in Australia, I once found a tattered copy of this for sale for $1,400). When I say mint, I mean mint. Back when I was a kid I would go to extreme lengths to make sure I never bent the tabs as I was opening those cardboard boxes. It would take me minutes to open a box because of how careful I was. The manuals? Pristine. Museum grade. I was anal as hell, with OCD levels of obsession about keeping my stuff in good condition.

I have an extensive NES, SNES, N64 and GC collection that I've saved up over the years that must be worth in the many, many thousands (at the very least).

As I've gotten older I now have a mortgage in the 7 figures. Hah. A few thousand bucks worth of retro games? In comparison this seems like such a drop in the ocean. This isn't a brag post by any means, I guess what I'm really trying to say is how the things that used to be the most important items in the world to me have just lost all value. If I visit my parents and they are torn to shreds I will feel a little sad, sure, but there's another part of me that just doesn't care anymore.

I'm curious whether anyone in their 30's or 40's have simply stopped caring about collectables? I guess at the heart of this post it's really about the digitalisation of the industry. I buy everything digital now. Fuck all this clutter. A rare copy of a game might go up 100x in value which seems great when you're 16, but when you're older you realise it's not even enough to pay for more than a few months of interest repayments LOL. I just can't stand shit in my house anymore, digital, baby!
First off, what do you do for a living that you have a house worth over a million dollars? Or was this a trust fund thing? You must be loaded to buy a million dollar house.

Sorry I come from working class and am scrapping by with 40k / a year on a job at 42 years old, I just can't relate to having that kind of spending money. Let alone owning a home again (My ex-wife has that, and it was only worth 140k no six figures). Part of that is to do with stupid mistakes i made in my twenties that led me to further my career growth later in life as I squandered my youth on sex, drugs and rock and roll...but I digress as there are people like me who make way less and didn't make the bad decisions I did.

That being said, I can see why you don't care. If i had the money to just buy whatever I wanted I probably wouldn't care either. Oh that black lotus magic card, who cares, I'll just whip out 2k from the McDuck vault and buy one and a solid deck. Oh old school games worth 100s of dollars, no problem just buy up the whole lot for 10k. Peanuts...wuhahaha...

Meanwhile I had a Intellivision, Atari 2600, NES, TG-16, Genesis, SNes, PS1.... And the RPGs from every system. Every black label ps1 jrpg you could think of. 100s of games. All gone.
Some asshole prick broke into my apartment back in the 2001 and stole every game system I had as well as the TV, my CD collection, and some clothes of all things.
I found out who it was, and he got nabbed on breaking and entering somewhere else, and did time. Never got my shit back though.

Stuff like that collection means a lot when you don't have much. You look at it as a little peice of meaning in a existence where society is buckling to cancel culture and woke bs.
I take comfort in my games, books, movies, music, magic cards, AD&D books, non fiction tomes....nerdy shit...
As more and more the shit i loved is being co-opted for Agenda over quality.

I started to build back my retro collection but stopped because of costs.
Now my once retro collection of games, books, cards, etc... which once consisted of stuff from 1970s - 2001, now consists, of at the earliest , PS2 and a collection of the best RPGs for that system. DS, 3DSXL, PSP, VITA, PS3, PS4, Switch, PC etc.. with 100s of games. About 50/50 digital/physical.

Luckily the earlier stuff is mostly preserved in digital format for emulation or as retro digital purchases. What sucks though is things like the PS4/PS5 not having PS1 support. All those ps1 classics i rebought, only playable on my vita, ps3, or hacked ps1 classic. Why the hell is Sony not allowing for ps1 games on ps4/5?

My current retro collection (1999-2021 collection and a handful of rebought games and book from the early 1980s) is my little slice of wonder. It makes me feel wealthy to be able to dip into whatever I want, when I want. I may not be rich, but i can pretend, if just for a moment.

Last edited:

sn0man

I think publishers should print final editions with all the patches installed and sell it full price, cause you'll buy it again.

I like this idea. Make something like a Criterion Collection for really good games.
Thread *rise from your grave*

Seriously this is a great idea. I live in the Midwest where space is somewhat cheaper. I’d love to have each system and the definitive 30–50 titles for each one at reasonable prices. I already have a couple CRTs and the wife is on board for a retro room / bar to entertain and have people over.

Durask

I am surprised that he cares about old games, most kids I know would not touch that stuff and just want Minecraft etc

I would have a heart attack if that happened to my collection. Too many years and time spent! I plan on keeping my games til I can't play them anymore.

He needs his ass beat. It's that simple. Don't touch things that don't belong to you, that's how I was raised.
Or the kid's parent/s

Jaxcellent

When i went to college 20 yrs ago i sold my retro game collection, Sometimes I regret it, but i never play the games, so might as well make some money from them..

now 20 years later, i have a small collection of games, but the obsessive "finding a rare title just to own it collecting" is gone, I buy what I play, I only keep the games that were really special for me, the rest i trade in for the next new game.

I'll probably stick with this strategy for 2021 with the exception of not buying day one anymore... If your 6 months behind the release schedule, you save a fortune and you will have a better gameplay experience.

ZoukGalaxy

What a pure and a total waste.
If you don't care, you should have donated them to an association/museum or someone who cares instead of letting a poor kid destroy all these treasure for nothing which don't even understand the memories of these.
Oh by the way: I hate kids
Harrison Ford That Belongs In A Museum GIF

yurqqa

I am surprised that he cares about old games, most kids I know would not touch that stuff and just want Minecraft etc

I introduced my kids to Super Mario bros and other old games before let them play current ones.

So they appreciate Shovel knight and Celeste as much as I do.

Did the same with music - and it works.
You basically can’t influence them that much after 10 years old, so building a good foundation of good character and good taste early on is our main responsibility as parents.

ZoolNL

I definitely don’t care about my collection anymore. Not for value..

But I do like finding stuff I’m interested in, like Bit Generations GBA and funky DS games with attachments. I have fun buying those.

strange thing though. It’s all short happiness and now I’m asking myself why do have all this junk?

nkarafo

I don't care about the monetary value. Some of the stuff i keep have sentimental value. And i'm not going to let some children mess with those items. If my nephews want to play retro games, i have a perfectly good Raspberry/Retropie setup which i made for this reason alone.

Jokerevo

Banned

So my parents call me today and tell me my nephew has stumbled across my classic game collection which I keep stored away at their house (1,000km's from where I live). I told him not to touch them but I know him well enough to know my games are fucked. This kid is like Dennis the Menace.

It contains, among other things, mint copies of Super Metriod and the Australian version of Super Paper Mario (which is extremely rare as the release of this game was cancelled at the last minute in Australia, I once found a tattered copy of this for sale for $1,400). When I say mint, I mean mint. Back when I was a kid I would go to extreme lengths to make sure I never bent the tabs as I was opening those cardboard boxes. It would take me minutes to open a box because of how careful I was. The manuals? Pristine. Museum grade. I was anal as hell, with OCD levels of obsession about keeping my stuff in good condition.

I have an extensive NES, SNES, N64 and GC collection that I've saved up over the years that must be worth in the many, many thousands (at the very least).

As I've gotten older I now have a mortgage in the 7 figures. Hah. A few thousand bucks worth of retro games? In comparison this seems like such a drop in the ocean. This isn't a brag post by any means, I guess what I'm really trying to say is how the things that used to be the most important items in the world to me have just lost all value. If I visit my parents and they are torn to shreds I will feel a little sad, sure, but there's another part of me that just doesn't care anymore.

I'm curious whether anyone in their 30's or 40's have simply stopped caring about collectables? I guess at the heart of this post it's really about the digitalisation of the industry. I buy everything digital now. Fuck all this clutter. A rare copy of a game might go up 100x in value which seems great when you're 16, but when you're older you realise it's not even enough to pay for more than a few months of interest repayments LOL. I just can't stand shit in my house anymore, digital, baby!
Phew-phew

jigglet

Banned
you are over thirty and keep games at you parents house?

1) I own it so I don't think it's that imposing to take up half a wardrobe in a 5 bedroom house lol

2) It's 2 people living in a 5 bedroom house, they can spare the space

3) Have you ever seen how small apartments are in the major cities (NY, SF, Sydney etc)? I can't afford to give up that much space for stuff I don't use

jigglet

Banned
First off, what do you do for a living that you have a house worth over a million dollars? Or was this a trust fund thing? You must be loaded to buy a million dollar house.

Sorry I come from working class and am scrapping by with 40k / a year on a job at 42 years old, I just can't relate to having that kind of spending money. Let alone owning a home again (My ex-wife has that, and it was only worth 140k no six figures). Part of that is to do with stupid mistakes i made in my twenties that led me to further my career growth later in life as I squandered my youth on sex, drugs and rock and roll...but I digress as there are people like me who make way less and didn't make the bad decisions I did.

God no. I refused to take a dime off my parents the moment I got my first job. I've been investing. Once I learned how to play the "game" and I wrapped my head around leverage, it was a light bulb moment to me.

Here's something really important I learned: the normal Average Joe will tell you how much they hate the banks. It's almost become like a trendy thing to do to slag them off. While you don't have to love the banks, treating them like the enemy will only leave you poor.

1) I own it so I don't think it's that imposing to take up half a wardrobe in a 5 bedroom house lol

2) It's 2 people living in a 5 bedroom house, they can spare the space

3) Have you ever seen how small apartments are in the major cities (NY, SF, Sydney etc)? I can't afford to give up that much space for stuff I don't use
Why are you paying millions to live in a box?!

I mean obviously job, but still man. You can get half a mansion in my state for cheap.

jigglet

Banned
Why are you paying millions to live in a box?!

I mean obviously job, but still man. You can get half a mansion in my state for cheap.

Yeah I've thought about it before. But have you ever lived in a major city? Everyone wants to live there for a reason, cause they're super appealing.

Yeah I've thought about it before. But have you ever lived in a major city? Everyone wants to live there for a reason, cause they're super appealing.
Not to me, i'm in a small town but we want to move in the opposite direction, out in the country. You must be a people person, I definitely am not lol. To each their own right? I've lived in Chicago briefly, 1 month was enough I must say.

Man, I would pay good money for your Cube/64 collection. I know you said you don't care, but I hope they're all right for your sake.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Not to me, i'm in a small town but we want to move in the opposite direction, out in the country. You must be a people person, I definitely am not lol. To each their own right? I've lived in Chicago briefly, 1 month was enough I must say.

Man, I would pay good money for your Cube/64 collection. I know you said you don't care, but I hope they're all right for your sake.

I don't think he ended up touching them. But that's what my parents say...how do they really know? I mean they don't know I got in all their shit when I was a kid. Kids are sneaky like that lol

fatty

God no. I refused to take a dime off my parents the moment I got my first job. I've been investing. Once I learned how to play the "game" and I wrapped my head around leverage, it was a light bulb moment to me.

Here's something really important I learned: the normal Average Joe will tell you how much they hate the banks. It's almost become like a trendy thing to do to slag them off. While you don't have to love the banks, treating them like the enemy will only leave you poor.

My wife and I are planning to transition to real estate in the next three years. The question about leverage has come up and we go back and forth.

I just hate debt, though. If a great deal comes up where I can’t pass up, I may have to take a chance even if it means getting a loan.

As a fellow Australian, I could not give two shits about my collection, especially PAL versions, when something like the SNES classic exists.

levyjl1988

Banned
My goal in life once I created a satisfactory collection is to buy a large empty white room that is fully paid for, and located in a secret place and store my entire collection in there, all my memories all vaulted up there.
It took a long time and effort to accumulate all the things. It's like in the latest Tomb Raider movie where Lara's father hid a private room in the family cemetery place. That would be the perfect hiding spot. Then everything else can be minimilastic.

Keihart

7 figures mortgage, lmao, are you bragging? sounds hard.

Edit: Damn! that's a necro bump.

Last edited:

Fbh

I've never had many expensive games but I still used to like having a collection of just the games I bought over the years.
Now I don't really care. I'll keep around a few games I really like but other than that I tend to buy digital on sales, and when I buy a physical game I usually resell them after finishing them. I used to have this "but what if I want to replay this in 5-6 years" mentality but now with digital if I want to replay some 5-10 years old game you can usually just grab it for like $5 on steam or something.

If you don't care about your collection you should still look into selling it. If it's worth a couple of thousands you can still get yourself something nice on the side, or if you really don't need the money buy some newer consoles for a children'ss hospital or something. Seems like a waste to just throw away thousands.

EDIT:
Oh damn, this is old lol

Last edited:

Lukin1978

Yeah I'm at that point I really have no desire to play old games anymore. Gamecube era is about as far back as I'll go and very rarely.
I'll sell my old snes, genesis etc soon.

Alan Wake

If I visit my parents and they are torn to shreds I will feel a little sad, sure, but there's another part of me that just doesn't care anymore.

Oh, I really hope that won't happen to them.

Top Bottom