• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringe So Netflix... take a seat over there.

Mod of War

🏴‍☠️
Staff Member
Oct 23, 2018
Don't pretend you don't know the difference between exploiting real children and a fucking cartoon.

Oh, he's banned. Welp I stand by what I said.

EDIT: lmfao even edited my post, not even the first time I've used the word here, no warning all the other times.
Context is important. I gave you a verbal due to you using it as a slur towards someone.

Past use you were not being derogatory towards anyone, but describing situations.

Reactions: EviLore

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Context is important. I gave you a verbal due to you using it as a slur towards someone.

Past use you were not being derogatory towards anyone, but describing situations.
I'm pretty sure I've called people dumb niggas here before and there was 0 warning, but sure, whatever's fine its your car dude drive it how you like.

I get banned I get banned it aint the end of the world.
Pedophiles hates anime though.

That's the funny thing, people were calling anime fans pedophiles for liking Uzaki chan, but at the same time defend actual children being sexualised in the real world.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Theres no real difference let's be real. Black people alternate people calling themselves and other people both at the same time. Yet they get offended when white people use either version. It's the same word.
The A version is able to be jokingly stated by whites in some contexts, but you absolutely cannot ever state the hard R version. The difference is somewhat academic though yeah. It's all just gutter language.

Last edited:

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
The A version is able to be jokingly stated by whites in some contexts, but you absolutely cannot ever state the hard R version. The difference is somewhat academic though, it's all just gutter language.
Man I've seen white boys get absolutely stomped for just using the a version.

Hell when I was living in Houston there was a huge fight at our old apt complex between a mexican gang and a black gang over that shit. It's safer for white people to not use it at all bc people get straight up unreasonable over that shit.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
It happens, or are you just offended that a black person used the N word. Either way, I'm guilt free.
I think there's still an assumption that everyone posting on the Internet is a white dude, so seeing any use of the word when it's not obvious that the user is black triggers alarms.

• LOL
Reactions: Dacon

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Man I've seen white boys get absolutely stomped for just using the a version.
Well like I said, some contexts. I have absolutely seen the A version joked about by whites in some comedy contexts, never the hard R version.

It's safer for white people to not use it at all bc people get straight up unreasonable over that shit.
I've never felt the need to use either, I'm not that much of a racist to use the hard R version, or interested in aping black culture using the A version.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Well like I said, some contexts. I have absolutely seen the A version joked about by whites in some comedy contexts, never the hard R version.

I've never felt the need to use either, I'm not that much of a racist to use the hard R version, or interested in aping black culture using the A version.
I remember back in school (90s) all of the gangsta-wannabe Hispanic and Asian kids used the "A" version when no black kids were around. Then you had the dumbass white kids use it only amongst other white kids. I always found it super cringey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dacon and Nymphae

manfestival

Nov 12, 2009
Pedophiles hates anime though.

So his argument that seems to have really been impactful was that he was supposedly engaged in his "kink" of pretending to be a pedophile

During the trial, the defense argued that Bright was under the impression that he and the FBI agent were engaged in “ageplay,” and that the children were in fact consenting adults.
“I did not, at first, think she was talking about real kids,” Bright told the court when he was called as a witness last Thursday, detailing for the jury the ins and outs of “ageplay,” a kink in which “mommies” and “daddies” have sex with adults pretending to be “littles,” or “princes” and “princesses.” Bright said that he had engaged in similar role-plays before, always with consenting adults. He’d met the undercover agent, whose username had been “PrincessMom” on KinkD, a fetish and BDSM dating app.

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas

manfestival

Nov 12, 2009
So his defense is that he was RP'n as a pedophile? Lmfao Clown world.
Even more wild to me is that it was effective enough to at least create a hung jury. He isn't out of the woods yet but my goodness. The "I was just pretending" went to the next level.

• Triggered
Reactions: Dacon

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
Even more wild to me is that it was effective enough to at least create a hung jury. He isn't out of the woods yet but my goodness. The "I was just pretending" went to the next level.
Still more believable bit less effective than the Pete Townshend defense.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: nush

Boswollocks

Apr 19, 2019
Mars
Their stock is crashing, and they've currently lost millions this week, so yeah probably not a good time to trot out this lame excuse
Lame excuse for what? This looks like a classic marketing technique to get people talking about Netflix and to get them back in the news cycle

Either that or they really are using subliminal messaging to make paedophilia OK.

I know which of those scenarios are most likely and which one I want to believe the most

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
You know what else is weird? The people saying this movie is for pedos. Just watch this clip. No Thank You Mr. Pedo.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I am acting like an adult idgi.

It happens, or are you just offended that a black person used the N word. Either way, I'm guilt free.
Calling someone you disagree with a "nigger" is acting like a child, whether you are black or white

And please, fuck off with the "I'm black" excuse, as if that makes you special. I'm black too, it means nothing

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
Lame excuse for what? This looks like a classic marketing technique to get people talking about Netflix and to get them back in the news cycle

Either that or they really are using subliminal messaging to make paedophilia OK.

I know which of those scenarios are most likely and which one I want to believe the most
Or they purchased an award winning foreign little art house picture that was expected to be more prestige than do big numbers and then suddenly they had this whole mess.

Nov 6, 2019
Do you really believe it will ever get to that point?
If you streamed it, then you're already logged. There will be a record of it. Once it gets banned and you've streamed it, surprise, you were trojan-horsed this garbage. Gatekeepers at Netflix can send the info to their connections and use it against you whenever they want.

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
If you streamed it, then you're already logged. There will be a record of it. Once it gets banned and you've streamed it, surprise, you were trojan-horsed this garbage. Gatekeepers at Netflix can send the info to their connections and use it against you whenever they want.
I just, I find it hard to believe that a billion dollar company will ever see any consequences as severe as that for something like this.

Reactions: Boswollocks

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
I watched it. I didn’t get hard once.
Take that Chris Hansen.

i didn’t watch it

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Dec 2, 2013
Maybe as an idea it seemed good in someone's head, to make a point about this.

But in practice? It was a really bad one.

It's hard to believe no one of what must have been multiple parents and adult members of crew caught this in the process of auditioning, rehearsing and filming. Like go "now wait just a minute, what are we doing here?"

And then Netflix chose the absolute worst way to promote it too. Just look at that fucking poster -- which apparently is not even the original one used for the Sundance festival.

treemk

Nov 11, 2019
I hope you all realize that having separate rules based on skin color is a racist concept.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
I cancelled my sub. I let them know why.

I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt even though I thought it was in extremely poor tastes and even borderline illegal - as I posted before (not a lawyer, but how is having children doing and simulating the things they're doing on film legal?).

I kept having to skip ahead as I watched. I eventually quit in disgust. This stuff shouldn't be dramatized.

Also ResetEra condoning it because, and sic, it's part of black culture or it was because of "her experience" as an immigrant is bullshit. Not a single black family I know would condone this, and the writer/director was born in Paris in the 80's and grew up there. She's a first gen Parisian. She didn't live this life, she saw this stuff later in life when she was already in her late 20's / early 30's and decided to craft a story around it with the star being like her - of Senegalese roots. It speaks nothing to her experience as a fake immigrant (*sorry, first generation isn't an immigrant to me).

Anyways, as I noted I tried to watch it and it was gross and it shouldn't be out there. Finally we on the left and right can agree on something in 2020. I know Netflix and film critics are trying to frame this as some kind of right wing thing but literally no one I know personally or online thinks this is anything but disgusting at best and criminal at worst.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019

Imagine: they are still going to release it. It is like they are impelled by an ideology higher than profit motive. No price is too high to pay for the windfall when this is normalized.
They were already on the same downward trend as many companies on Nasdaq but I can't help but think this hurt them some and will until they suck it up, admit wrong doing, and remove it. I know I won't give them another dime until then.

BigDeadFreak

Jul 7, 2018
Part of the problem is that feminists have been arguing for years that there is no such thing as inherently sexual clothing or behviour. If a woman wears a tight top, short skirt, high heels and make up it is not sexual unless she says it is. Also, if she writhes around, shaking her tits and ass then she's just expressing herself and only and evil sexist man would interpret it as sexual if she didn't intend it that way.

Of course, this is all nonsense. If you see a woman in a club dressed like that and behaving like that we all know what it means. However, if you say so out loud you'll be called a rapist. Consequently, you get to a point where it's all relative and subjective and everyone can act as they please without referring to any fixed morality.

So here we have children in skimpy clothes, jerking their bodies in a s sexual manner and no one can say anything because they are all just expressing themselves.