• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So next gen 3rd party games are gonna target a 4TF 1440p baseline and we're ok with this because $299?

Orta

Banned
As if cross gen focus wasn't bad enough (look what it did to Halo), now we have the "next gen" baseline being 1440p and 4TF. Devs will cater to the lowest common denominator.

Make no mistake about it, games will be held back all gen thanks to Series S.

This just seems like the worst idea in gaming history, NO CAP.

edit: and not just 3rd party. All of MS 1st studio will have this console as the one they build around because it will sell better and games have to run on it. Trash.

Best thing you can do is walk away from gaming then if you aren't happy.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I world imagine the graphics side of things will scale quite nicely. Three main thing is it has the same CPU and SSD as the X and those are going to be the things that define this generation (for all platforms)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
OP doesn't understand how tech works. It's the same recycled-ass argument from months ago.

That's like saying CyberPunk 2077 will look like shit because CD Project Red is using GeForce 1060 GT as a baseline.

The game will run on medium settings on the 1060 GT and Ultra Settings on the RTX 3090.

That's how it will work on Xbox.
So you are trying to tell me Cyberpunk wouldn't look better if it targeted the new Nvida cards as the base?

lol.

Of course it doesnt look "bad", but it could look much better by not having to make everyone happy. I get that its a different set of circumstances for PC gaming, but consoles operate differently.

Last edited:
It's too early to tell.

Maybe those who think you just lower resolution and everything else will be identical will be right.

Maybe the XSS will get shoddy downports of games aimed at the PS5 and XSX that are an even bigger drop in quality than the Switch 3rd party games are this gen.

Maybe third parties and XSX games will effectively be crossgen all generation, and starkly, obviously inferior to PS5 exclusives.

I certainly think it's a bloody stupid idea myself, and that the stripped down GPU capabilities and RAM are going to have a far more limiting effect on development than a simple resolution dip is going to solve, but we'll not know until about a year from now, probably even longer really.

Do PC games target the weakest graphics cards?
PC exclusives usually run on as weak hardware as they can to cast as a wide a sales net as possible.

Multiplatform games target the most popular console specs because it's usually the biggest single audience, less work and a decent indication of what the low end PC spec most people will find acceptable to be.

It's why console generations are so important, even for PC gamers. Without them, that baseline minimum of what you can expect from games, and by extension the maximum they can reach on the high end, would only ever improve at a snails pace.

FlyyGOD

As if cross gen focus wasn't bad enough (look what it did to Halo), now we have the "next gen" baseline being 1440p and 4TF. Devs will cater to the lowest common denominator.

Make no mistake about it, games will be held back all gen thanks to Series S.

This just seems like the worst idea in gaming history, NO CAP.

edit: and not just 3rd party. All of MS 1st studio will have this console as the one they build around because it will sell better and games have to run on it. Trash.
Series S has a better cpu than the ps5 has and is RDNA 2 based. It'll be capable of running any game this generation with some loss of visual bells and whistles. Targeting a lower resolution won't affect any development on ps5 or Series X.

OP doesn't understand how tech works. It's the same recycled-ass argument from months ago.

That's like saying CyberPunk 2077 will look like shit because CD Project Red is using GeForce 1060 GT as a baseline.

The game will run on medium settings on the 1060 GT and Ultra Settings on the RTX 3090.

That's how it will work on Xbox.
I think it's related more to the concerns that MS, Sony, and certain developers did not want the various versions to appear too dissimilar in overall, so they did not push one version too far ahead of the others. Parity clauses or something, can't remember.

reinking

Gold Member
Next Gen third party is going to target the most popular console specs. If that means lower systems stutter so be it. If that means the Series S is the most popular and that is the target the same.

Bolivar687

Banned
What's the worst that could happen then? Sony would have to work harder to compete? Proper PS1/2/3 BC? Sony put more effort into their first party output in the PS3 days.

1. I think it's a mistake to assume that Sony is going to add more features to compete with Microsoft if the competition ramps up. Sony removed A LOT of the bespoke features including backwards compatibility from PS3 to keep the price down and compete with MS.

2. I think it's an even bigger mistake to believe that Sony only competed with Microsoft on software because they were behind. The biggest and best PS3 games were by longtime first party studios, some of whom began work on their PS3 magnum opii before the competition heated up, like Polyphony and Guerilla working on GT and Killzone since the PS2. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog would've made Uncharted 2 and GoW3 whether Sony was winning or losing. The only viable argument I see here is that their studios tried harder because the company was losing and, even then, I think that's quite difficult to believe.

3. On the third party front, if Sony had dominated, you would have had flagship titles like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy just get to work making their next PS3/PS4 game instead of the shift to multiplatform development, which we saw take up a lot of time and money for franchises that were previously iconic when they only developed for Sony.

4. I recognize this is a personal and petty but I think a lot of people have forgotten what gaming was like during the 360/Wii/PS3 days. Microsoft's executives, the Xbox fans who followed their leadership, and the mainstream American journalists who went along with this all took on the most toxic rhetoric I've ever seen in my decades of gaming. The PS3 was clearly a superior machine and I honestly felt it had better and more unique library, but this destructive alliance between the fans, execs, and media, kept saying what a piece of shit it was with no games and any games it did have sucked. Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and God of War III all got above 90 on metacritic and had huge followings but the discussion all over forums and by American journalists was about how they were such shitty and outdated games that sucked. This same alliance genuinely advocated, I shit you not and people forget this, that Netflix, Kinect, and the media capabilities really did make Xbox the better console and why Sony would never catch up. This narrative was literally everywhere and people only really turned against it because there was absolutely nothing running on the console at the reveal and they couldn't even give the details of their own DRM solution. Even after this disaster, many in the press and the few diehards who were left kept telling us Microsoft was going to have all the games, their warchest meant they were going to beat Sony on performance and price, Sony was still stuck in the past, and GDDR5 wasn't going to have any benefits for gaming. They really said all these things and that hurts the larger community.
file_218_kinect-vs-move-comic.jpg

Again, I acknowledge this is very personal and petty, but Microsoft deserved to lose last gen. They probably deserve to lose this gen, too, because I shudder to think what the media and forum narratives are going to be once their fans feel comfortable again gloating and spreading disinformation. I don't want to go back to that environment because it was really mean-spirited and nasty, and it's a lot more fun now when we can all just laugh at Microsoft's missteps. I don't want that to change, and I accept that it's probably not a good thing that I feel this way.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Series S has a better cpu than the ps5 has and is RDNA 2 based. It'll be capable of running any game this generation with some loss of visual bells and whistles. Targeting a lower resolution won't affect any development on ps5 or Series X.
Yes but thats kind of besides the point.

It will be able to run any next gen game at lower res. Great.

The point is that the reason it will be able to run those games with just a res hit is because its going to be the baseline. Not the Series X. Meaning devs aren't TRULY able to maximize the power and potential of Series X at all next gen. Which kinda blows.

EDMIX

Another very salty, concern thread.

I'd say its a very, very logical concern.

Why should anyone assume Series X and PS5 will be targeted when PS4 Pro and XONE X was not targeted and used for making games exclusively?

So 360 using DVD...AGAIN after PS2 very much gimped the previous generation, as to why MGS4 only exist on PS3 currently.
Now we have a 4TFLOP system and we should magically believe it won't gimp the next generation? I have a very, very hard time believing everyone will just make 2 versions of a game. I call bullshit on that, they will make games targeting 4TFLOPS and simply porting to those other systems.

Dnice1

Series S can play Gamepass, and that's enough for MS.

Exactly, I've seen folks who are planning on buying a PS5 now consider picking up a Series S also. Microsoft just wants to get people into Gamepass. It will be affordable way for them to play a bunch of games in between PS5 exclusive releases.

J4K

I actually really love that it's targeting 1440p. Means 1080p playback should be completely flawless for folks with older TVs, but also playing on a 4K TV has some headroom to upscale a lil better too.

Barnabot

it was promised to me 4k and 120 fps and I won't be accepting anything below that as the truth.

/s

Last edited:

T-Cake

SSD is slower on the Xbox Series S? How does that work? Will there be separate expansion carts for the S model that are also slower? Or will you pay the premium price for the X carts even though you can't take advantage of the full speed? Or is it only the internal SSD on the S that is reduced speed? Confused.com

Last edited:
I think you’re overestimating how much people care about resolution and frame rate - drop those significantly for the series s on games that target the higher end consoles and the majority of casual gamers will be completely fine with it.

Arkam

But will they really? If the S sells more than XSX and PS5 combined, sure. But if its less than that, why would they? Developers usually target the largest user base. On the plus side IF they did, XSSX and PS5 games would all run very smooth due to being "held back"

I'd say its a very, very logical concern.

Why should anyone assume Series X and PS5 will be targeted when PS4 Pro and XONE X was not targeted and used for making games exclusively?

So 360 using DVD...AGAIN after PS2 very much gimped the previous generation, as to why MGS4 only exist on PS3 currently.
Now we have a 4TFLOP system and we should magically believe it won't gimp the next generation? I have a very, very hard time believing everyone will just make 2 versions of a game. I call bullshit on that, they will make games targeting 4TFLOPS and simply porting to those other systems.
Because they were mid-gen refreshes? What am I reading - I never bought those - no one I know did. No one viewed them as a new gen of consoles either. Completely different scenario when all are released simultaneously

NullZ3r0

Banned
So you are trying to tell me Cyberpunk wouldn't look better if it targeted the new Nvida cards as the base?

lol.

Of course it doesnt look "bad", but it could look much better by not having to make everyone happy. I get that its a different set of circumstances for PC gaming, but consoles operate differently.
What features does the PS5 support that Series S can't do at a lower resolution?

Last edited:
Top Bottom