• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So next gen 3rd party games are gonna target a 4TF 1440p baseline and we're ok with this because $299?

As if cross gen focus wasn't bad enough (look what it did to Halo), now we have the "next gen" baseline being 1440p and 4TF. Devs will cater to the lowest common denominator.

Make no mistake about it, games will be held back all gen thanks to Series S.

This just seems like the worst idea in gaming history, NO CAP.

edit: and not just 3rd party. All of MS 1st studio will have this console as the one they build around because it will sell better and games have to run on it. Trash.
Imagine 3090 buyers.

The baseline is not about resolution or frames though, it is about the main assets.

Last edited:

gamer82

We should all be concerned. This will hold games back the entire fucking gen.

Maybe not are pc games held back because of your spec not really you simply turn down some stuff. i guess this will be no different and seeing as its all digital it will be automatically done for you at download stage.

I think it is still best to reserve judgement until review day.

Eurogamer just stated the price in the UK as £249, which is shockingly good. No doubt about it. Right now, I have two main thoughts:

1. I need to see how the games are running on this machine. Are developers devoting the time to make sure it is optimised for the series s as well as the series X?

2. I can’t help but feel a little bit skeptical. It is very rare, I feel, to find a shockingly good priced product, which delivers a similar experience. Particularly in the tech world that is.

Nevertheless, if Microsoft can deliver a good experience with this new, cheaper console, I think this could be a real winner. The run-up to the next gen consoles is getting good finally. I can’t wait to see the gameplay reveals on these consoles.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Maybe this is why Sony bought up a lot of third-party exclusives, to ensure that 3rd parties would not in fact target 1080p.

I believe the "exclusive (marketing) partnership" deals from the past two gens are the same sort of idea.

In either case, it's a bait and switch designed for marketing slogans. "The power of next gen for $299" or something like that. After the first year we will see if Microsoft's gamble was correct and people will pay $50-100 less for a much weaker system. Worked for Wii and Switch 🤷‍♀️

S0ULZB0URNE

same ssd, same cpu, same architecture, ect.

only difference is gpu which means extremely easy scaleability. this wont hold anything back just like the ps5 wasnt gonna hold anything back.

they will develop for the XSX, lower resolution a tad and disable some things for the ps5 and the lower resolution and disable more things on the series s.
Xbox Series S.S for Salt. Microsoft made a huge move here, wether you like it or not.

It's roughly 4 x weaker than XSX...that is almost a generational difference.

nikolino840

As if cross gen focus wasn't bad enough (look what it did to Halo), now we have the "next gen" baseline being 1440p and 4TF. Devs will cater to the lowest common denominator.

edit: and not just 3rd party. All of MS 1st studio will have this console as the one they build around because it will sell better and games have to run on it. Trash.
Devs never talk about teraflop for the games they said with the ps5

reinking

Gold Member
Like many, I was super excited this morning. It is easy to get on the hype train seeing a $300 price point but I have a feeling if I were to jump on the Series S it is a temporary solution and when the real next gen Xbox games start hitting the market I am going to wish I had chosen the Series X. It is a smart move on MS part though. Get early adopters in cheap and then upgrade them in a year or two.

EDMIX

Because they were mid-gen refreshes? What am I reading - I never bought those - no one I know did. No one viewed them as a new gen of consoles either. Completely different scenario when all are released simultaneously

Its actually irrelevant. Mid gen reference, release at launch etc doesn't matter. It exist during the same generation and will still be used as the base. I don't see developers making 2 fucking games each time, unlikely. They will make it on Series S and port to everyone else. I don't see this releasing at the same time changing that as what would be the relevance to that point in the first place?

"I never bought those - no one I know did" ??? Has zero relevance to the topic. Irrelevant...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Imagine 3090 buyers.

I would be too bitter and upset to ever buy a 3090, too much wasted potential lmao

OP console are holding back PC games.
See it’s easy to troll
Thats not trolling though, its a fact. I have no qualms admitting that.

Theres a reason theres only been 1 Crysis.

Imagine how fucking advanced games would be if the 3090 was the only target.

BRUH what? I would welcome this.

Last edited:

Chromata

I just hope this means Sony will have proper 1440p downscaling support this time around. 1440p high framerate > 4k low framerate so I'd rather stick with a 1440p monitor.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No one knows how this stacks up against last gen consoles and we will see pretty quickly how it performs across all consoles and high end pc when the games start coming out for real.

trikster40

Nah, games will just have to be lower resolution than big brother X, maybe some ray-tracing turned off.

I do think that Sony did the right thing by making its digital version identical to the other SKU.

EDMIX

Starting to make sense now why Assassins Creed is looking so bad now...

EcMRs4FXsAkb0PP-1.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It should manage 1080p as well as the XSX handles 4K (better actually), or 1440p with some other settings turned down.

Only the GPU is weaker, everything else is basically the same (less RAM too, but it doesn't need as much at lower resolutions).

So no, it won't really hold anything back. What will is also targeting current gen consoles with their weak CPUs and slow HDDs.

(Saying this as someone who is getting a PS5 only.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even if Xbox Series S doesn’t exsist we still have PC HDD to hold next-gen games.

Actually, yes. I doubt most 3rd party devs will be brave enough to make their games unplayable on HDDs. So very few non-1st party games will be built to take full advantage of SSDs, at least for the first half of the generation or so. Neither will MS's games, so we're really only gonna see that in PS5 exclusives for quite some time. That's far more disappointing than 4TF.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Which ones ? I did not feel like I was going to miss a lot from third party devs until now on Xbox ?
I don't know because I don't think all of the third-party purchases were confirmed. I am referring to this thread:

Eric187

Banned
Yea I agree with this sentiment. For the first time ever I won’t be buying an Xbox console due to this. What’s the point in a new generation of hardware if developers have to cater to something like this? I’ll stick with Sony this time around and expect some mind blowing first party games that push the boundaries of this medium.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox One X was designed to do at 4K what the One S could do at 1080p. And for the most part, it succeeded in that, with a little bit extra even. There is no doubt that MS designed these two consoles in the same way. They are designed to do the same thing, with resolution being the differentiation. We will see how it plays out in practice, but there is precedence.

I honestly don't give a shit about this baseline business, I think that PC GPUs are going to be lapping these consoles very quickly, all of them, and the gap is going to be enormous.

Last edited:

scydrex

MS is gonna release 2 Xbox at launch. Like this gen is gonna have the most powerful and the weakest one. What will happen if Sony releases a PS5 Pro in the future it's safe to say is gonna happen.

Will MS release a Xbox Series X2 or X² or XX to keep the title of the most powerful console? Sell 3 versions of Xbox this gen or release the newer one and stop selling the Series X?

Last edited:

cireza

I don't know because I don't think all of the third-party purchases were confirmed. I am referring to this thread:

Oh okay. That's just a rumor though, I don't give it any credit. Could be totally false to throw more shade at MS, you never know.

Marlenus

Resolution scaling will be all devs have to do. Just look at the 5500XT @ 1080p vs 5700XT @ 4k. Techpowerup have nice charts and they use the same settings apart from resolution.

It's too early to tell.

Maybe those who think you just lower resolution and everything else will be identical will be right.

I know it will because we already have benchmarks to prove it. Everything the same apart from GPU is the basis of all PC game benchmarking.

Go check out techpowerup performance summaries. Compare the 2080S to the 1650S and you see that a GPU around 3x faster gets similar 4k scores to the lower end GPU at 1080p.

Top Bottom