• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So next gen 3rd party games are gonna target a 4TF 1440p baseline and we're ok with this because $299?

We have here the full spectrum. Those that are true gamers who can see what's up, assassin trollins and those that have no idea what the technology means...

All these back seat devs acting like they understand tflops
They fell for the MS marketing-speak from the One X and the 12TF dick waving, not realizing that marketing gremlins don't give a fuck as long as they get you hyped.

Terraflops are the new 'bits', 'polygons', and 'HD visuals' buzzwords, and it's already being replaced by 'speed' in realtime.

dano1

A Sheep
Flight simulator 2020 says hi lol. Don't be mad asbo beat everyone to nextgen graphics on a world wide scale.

I just watched a 4K HDR video. Does look good but Next gen could easily don’t that. Not much action going on...

GT7 looks more next level

quest

Not Banned from OT
MS could have a mandate where to develop on SeX you have to have an SeS version. I don't recall hearing whether such a mandate has been put in place though.
If your doing a PC version there is no reason not to do a series s version. Your going to scale to worse PC hardware.

dano1

A Sheep
MS could have a mandate where to develop on SeX you have to have an SeS version. I don't recall hearing whether such a mandate has been put in place though.

Thing is Sony has the market share. Pretty sure they have more pull than Microsoft at this point.
If it can be done on the S I’m not buying it!

If your doing a PC version there is no reason not to do a series s version. Your going to scale to worse PC hardware.
I think a better analogy would be if a developer were to make a switch port, then they would make a SeriesS version. Because I don't think pure PC development involves scaling to any specific hardware target. PC development itself is contrained by console hardware.

Armorian

Banned
Call me crazy but there is absolutely going to be games that will only be on PS5 and XSX.

LOL, no

Why cant people understand this!

"Teraflops" battle fucked up people perception, they think ~2TF difference is like a massive gap that will result in 30fps games on PS5 and 60 on XSX. "Whole PS4 difference in power!" and stuff like that :messenger_grinning_squinting: When in reality there just will slight resolution difference. And XSX will just run XSS code in 3x or 4x resolution.

If I didn't invest in PC I would totaly buy XSS for my 1080p TV, great move on MS side.

Last edited:
Thing is Sony has the market share. Pretty sure they have more pull than Microsoft at this point.
If it can be done on the S I’m not buying it!
Yeah Sony definitely has the advantage in marketshare and mindshare. I just wonder if MS does have a Series S mandate and how willing would be to enforce it especially when PS5 starts to heavily outpace XSeX next year.

MrFunSocks

Banned
There is no "SeS version", it's literally the same game but targeting different performance profiles in the dev kits.

No it was not. It was discontinued due to how poorly it performed.
Haha it wasn't discontinued for that lol. It was discontinued because it's being replaced by the Series S and Series X.

Last edited:

RafterXL

This could possibly be one of the dumbest Ops I've ever seen.

There is nothing to "hold back". They are the same fucking machines, only one has a third of the gpu power. If ANYTHING the S will be more capable at its desired resolution than the X will at it's.

Literally no one is going to develop games around the S, they'll just develop for the X and then turn the resolution down...the end.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think a better analogy would be if a developer were to make a switch port, then they would make a SeriesS version. Because I don't think pure PC development involves scaling to any specific hardware target. PC development itself is contrained by console hardware.
There is always a minimum hardware level and the series s will be above that unless you want to cut of 50% of steam users which they won't.

Kumomeme

my concern is at further middle of generation when developers reach 'peak' of console performance, where they start hitting limit with ps5 and xsx, where there games will be 1440p30fps for example. how it will run on xss?

also, assuming later both sony and ms gonna release ps5 pro and xsxx, for ms there will be 3 xbox sku that devs need optimize for which is not easier for smaller devs especially indies since they didnt have resources like larger studio.

on other aspect if 4tf is the 3rd party devs baseline, not just xsx will serve as 'upscalling' machine. ps5 too.

but we will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Neo_game

OP doesn't understand how tech works. It's the same recycled-ass argument from months ago.

That's like saying CyberPunk 2077 will look like shit because CD Project Red is using GeForce 1060 GT as a baseline.

The game will run on medium settings on the 1060 GT and Ultra Settings on the RTX 3090.

That's how it will work on Xbox.

But how would CyberPunck 2077 look if it was developed 6-7yrs from now where RTX 2070S as a baseline 🤷‍♂️ Mincecrart RT demo by Microsoft was running at 1080P on the X. I doubt they would want to show that demo on the S. Next gen starts from the S. X and PS5 are the pro models.

quest

Not Banned from OT
my concern is at further middle of generation when developers reach 'peak' of console performance, where they start hitting limit with ps5 and xsx, where there games will be 1440p30fps for example. how it will run on xss?

also, assuming later both sony and ms gonna release ps5 pro and xsxx, for ms there will be 3 xbox sku that devs need optimize for which is not easier for smaller devs especially indies since they didnt have resources like larger studio.

on other aspect if 4tf is the 3rd party devs, not just xsx will serve as 'upscalling' machine. ps5 too.

It will be sub 1080p with some upscaling to 1080p like the ps5 does 1440 to 4k.

Who says Microsoft bothers with a pro and does not use that money on more new studios. That is a better investment.

Kumomeme

It will be sub 1080p with some upscaling to 1080p like the ps5 does 1440 to 4k.

Who says Microsoft bothers with a pro and does not use that money on more new studios. That is a better investment.
also, considering what happened this gen where lot of devs still dont bother release proper patch or fix for ps4 pro or x1x version of game, i wonder if it will be same for next gen. some game still waiting for patch until today, near end of generation where such a waste for additional power for those midgen refreshes.

assuming there will be 3 sku for xbox, (lower, base, high) im not suprise if there is situation where one of the iteration is kind of 'left behind' by devs. for example there is patch for xsxx but no proper patch on xss or vice versa.

Last edited:
I don’t really get the complaints I’m gonna be honest. Here’s how I see it (I have no loyalty to either company and initially thought this concept was a bad idea btw) - PS5 is going to deliver those first party, cutting edge graphics games - as Sony always has (and they’ll always be third parties in this regard) and it will have VR capability. Xbox has what? Halo? Gears of War? I mean their first parties aren’t exactly known for pushing the envelope technically anymore - the small new Xbox will be good for playing couch co op and using game pass to play old games or new games and streaming - the big Xbox will be the best performance for third party titles but little else. To me it’s a no brainer. Get the xss and then wait till a killer exclusive comes out on ps5 (possibly a price drop at that point) or till Vr comes out on it.

EDIT: just so people don’t get it twisted, I could buy all of these consoles and a 3090 upgraded PC if I really wanted to. But considering video games aren’t my life I think it’s just a better investment to do it this way. Before I was kinda like, ah man maybe I’ll have to get an Xbox series X and a PS5, Microsoft just made the decision much easier. Don’t need the X at all.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

on other aspect if 4tf is the 3rd party devs, not just xsx will serve as 'upscalling' machine. ps5 too.

900p and below.

so xbone x was touted as 4k with 6 TFLOPS, but yet this being touted as 1440p?!

can it still do 4k like xbone x? Im thinking yes?! I understand Xbone X is discontinued, but how would the average consumer know the difference between 4TFLOP RDNA 2 vs 6TFLOP GCN ?

Kerotan

Every single game Sony get exclusively off the xbox will be a win for gamers for this reason alone.

I'd love if Sony did a deal for GTA 6 where it is on xbox but doesn't support the Series S. I'll have waited 10 fucking years for a new GTA. The last thing I want is it held back by a 4TB turd.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
What's the problem? Gotta love the concern trolling threads from SonyGaf. First Ampere, now this.

The Series S will target 1440p/120 FPS but I am sure that will be in 2D games like Cuphead. At the end of the day, the Series S will be a good 1080p 30 FPS machine for AAA next gen graphics heavy games. And a LOT of people will be good with that, specially for 300 USD.

Which PS5 games will be targeting 1080p 30 for example to make an apples to apples comparison? Fanboys always ignore that the PS5 is supposed to run games between 1440p and 4k and a lot of GPU power is "wasted" in displaying those high resolutions. But the games will be the same since CPU and storage are the same as on the Series X model.

so 4K resolution gamers are ruining it for 1080p gamers who don't give a sh!t about higher resolutions since they don't have 4K tvs?

Journey

Banned
Can't really take advantage of next-gen hardware when you're constrained by last-gen (equivalent) hardware.

PS5 has a last gen CPU?

-Tell-me-more.jpg

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I would say yes. The whole reason game consoles even exist as a platform is to bring gaming to the masses. Having uber powerful boxes at half a ground is awesome for the hardcore, but not practical and removes the reason they even exist in the first place. They (just like Nintendo) are continuing that tradition after blowing their wad in 2013. At least we have higher powered options now, when I was coming up you got what you got. Sony may take the loss and sell the DE now for $299. Sony fans will benefit from this market pressure and will save money!!

Last edited:
There's no way a series S hits 1440p 60 FPS on demanding AAA next gen games It's GPU bound to do that. I'd even say that barely a Series X will be able to hit those targets. The way I see it, the ideal use case would be to offer high framerates in 2D or E Sports games. And 1080p 30/60 on single player AAA games.
Games like battlefield 5 and modern warfare were already hitting 1080p 50-60fps on ps4 with ancient hardware. If devs prioritize it, the series S can easily do 60fps lol. Microsoft is claiming 120fps. The true test will be the next COD which is confirmed 4k120. If series S can achieve 2k120 then it is a game changer of a console.

Sonys first party PS5 games will look better than any PC game. So I doubt it.

Many people think Driveclub and GT7 are the best looking racers LMAO. Sure small GIFs on a phone screen any game can look good. I remember buying a PlayStation 4 just for that title and was shocked how blurry and jaggy it was. Looked last gen outside of weather effects and close ups on cars in photo mode. The problem is most console players have never experienced a PC game maxed out, let alone 144hz. I will say consoles do an amazing job maximizing their limited hardware.

S0ULZB0URNE

How can the resolution of series S gimp anything on Series X? I play Street fighter 5 on pc at 1440p and I'm sure I'm not gimping anyone's else who is playing on a more powerful pc than mine.
Because that isn't enough power to match a machine that's over 3X the power with the same details/performance at half the resolution.

1080p wouldn't be a issue but 1440p could be.

MrFunSocks

Banned

on other aspect if 4tf is the 3rd party devs baseline, not just xsx will serve as 'upscalling' machine. ps5 too.

If they all share the same CPU, GPU architecture, SSD, and RAM setup then it's simply a case of "low/med/high" graphical settings.

I swear by the time I'm through with this thread it'll be about 1 page unless I hit "show ignored content". This is like the ultimate fanboy finder thread, so thanks OP I guess.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

If they all share the same CPU, GPU architecture, SSD, and RAM setup then it's simply a case of "low/med/high" graphical settings.
For developers it not that simple. its not simply about adjusting graphical sliders of low mid high ultra like people think is. There more to that for them to the code. The features available on pc also thanks to them. All of those exist and functional due to devs effort, which is required lot of resource. It not something magically exist out of nowhere. Optimization is not easy. It not simply playing with resolution and graphics sliders. It take resource and time to make that happened. And there lot more other issue need to be taken care like lod setting, texture, physic, bug, performance and stuff in the background. For smaller devs, its not that simple especially if there more sku for them.

Also not all game performance scale is same. Why there is game has good scalebility while the others dont? why this is happened? what make this different? its thanks to devs effort make it possible. Why bad port exist if its all simply adjusting graphical and resolution level setting?

Remember AC Unity? that game has already has massive money and manpower resource and yet at launch those 'magic' graphics slider on pc wont do shit. That big studio. How about smaller one? This is my concern.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
For developers it not that simple. its not simply about adjusting graphical sliders of low mid high ultra like people think is. there more to that for them to the code. The features available on pc also thanks to them. All of those exist and functional due to devs effort, which is required lot of resource. it not something magically exist. optimization is not easy. It not simply playing with resolution and graphics sliders. It take resource and time to make that happened. and there lot more other issue need to be taken care like lod setting, texture, physic, bug, performance and stuff in the background. for smaller devs, its not that simple especially if there more sku for them.

Also not all game performance scale is same. why there is game has good scalebility while the others dont? why this is happened? what make this different? its thanks to devs effort make it possible. Why bad port exist if its all simply adjusting graphical and resolution level setting?

Remember AC Unity? that game has already has massive money and manpower resource and yet at launch those 'magic' graphics slider on pc wont do shit. That big studio. How about smaller one? This is my concern.
Why exactly do you think "lod setting, texture, physic and stuff in the background" are difficult? It's just lower resolution assets. Physics are run on the CPU generally, which the S has the same as the X. "Stuff in the background"? You mean stuff that the CPU does?

Codes 208

By that logic I suppose I shouldn’t upgrade to a 3000 because PC games can run on my friend’s gtx 760 which is like a potato by modern standards.

a game designed around 1800-4k on the SX/PS5 will just run at lower resolution on the SS.

I mean How many games ended up being gimped towards the end of this gen because of the original Xbox one despite the existence of the pro and One X?

Kumomeme

Why exactly do you think "lod setting, texture, physic and stuff in the background" are difficult? It's just lower resolution assets. Physics are run on the CPU generally, which the S has the same as the X. "Stuff in the background"? You mean stuff that the CPU does?
this is the problem. lot of people think this it as " just lower resolution assets", "just lower the setting, texture, graphics, effect etc" while wonder when all those coming from? we can speak about it as "simply did this and that" since it already laid for us by them.

tons of devs describe how optimization process is. for example before FFXV lead game designer Wan Hazmer describe optimization process as “HELL ON EARTH”

before few month ago there indie devs spoke about this, describe optimization is not easy especially for smaller devs.
not saying impossible, but it not easy. There more to it but i not remembered more where i read.

ofcourse, how the console architecture, the tools, devs kit will play role here too. Thanks to current x86 architecture that closer to pc, it help alot. But it still not easy process for developers. Not saying all game will be run bad. But my concern is on behind the scene. For us it not an issue since they do the work for us so we can play game.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I don't believe you. Look at the difference in graphic settings on the PC market. You can't just drop resolution and run everything on ultra settings for a mid-tiered card compared to a higher tiered card. It doesn't work that way.
You practically can if the vram is there.
Sorta

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Lmao op talking about teraflops as if he knew what it means. Series s is more powerful than xbox one x, a 6tflop machine. It just proves that 4k is a fucking gimmick and resources should not be wasted on 30fps 4k bullshit but 60fps 1440p.

Top Bottom