• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Overwatch 2 released yesterday... What happened?

How do you think Overwatch 2 release came along?

• It's having an awesome launch, people not into it are just out of the loop

• Already (or going into) a hard flopp

• Just a well enough launch, shadowed by the new trend (BR games)

Results are only viewable after voting.

.Pennywise

Banned
Overwatch 2 released yesterday. With little to no fanfare? Low marketing? I'm just out of the loop?

I mean, do any of you remember the release of the original Overwatch? It was another time, yeah (new IP from Blizzard after forever, hero shooters genre wasn't as saturated, Blizzard wasn't as shit (or not known), and Battle Royales didn't take over the entire world yet).
But, it was a Behemoth.

Now Overwatch 2 is up there in the top of Twitch a day after its release but doesn't seem like it's that much?
It's worse if you take into account that the game is F2P now.

Did the Overwatch series fall that hard and fast from grace as Overwatch 2 release feels like yet another mid game coming out from Early Access?

Leviathicus

Neo Member
Too soon to tell. The game has 220k people watching on Twitch right now, I don't think that is low by any means, especially considering that playing is almost impossible. I tried to log on yesterday with a couple of friends for hours without success, and today the problems seems to persist.

The game is basically the same as far as I saw, but for us who stopped playing OW years ago this is a nice time to give it another try.

Would be nice if I can get into the game for more than 30 minutes Blizz. Also my friend lost all his ow 1 progress for some reason even when he did all that account merge bullshit.

Kuranghi

I cleaned my toilet today:

Killing Eve Cleaning GIF by BBC America

Gudji

Its overwatch if you're already bored of the first you'll be bored of the second quick.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the gameplay but I'd rather play other types of online games.

HoodWinked

It's a tough position. F2P has caused a race to the bottom. Overwatch 1 was still operating in the old ways of monetization.

They probably figured they could only incorporate the scummy tactics all those other shooters have is to make it part of a new title.

Jennings

I haven't kept up with all the headlines, but from what I understand OW2 was so popular that login servers couldn't handle the enormous number of players trying to play and had issues off and on all day. It sounds more than popular enough to me and apparently millions of gamers are just dying to play.

Little Mac

Gold Member
It's a Blizzard game. There will always be server issues at launch. Preventing players from playing on launch day is a marketing tactic and free publicity. Gamers going online and telling other gamers that they are upset that the game they really want to play is unavailable makes players listening think that they should be apart of the mob and try playing the game too when its available. Even Hearthstone had "server issues" at launch.

Last edited:

Uiki

f2p space, especially on pc, is brutal. And they proved they are not able to keep a gaas alive.

Server troubles are just a marketing tool, nothing more.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

US seems to be hammered still - unless you do the Asia/Europe Trick..

It's pretty much the same as the beta several months back - nicer looking but that's it - currently playing the new characters - but probably won't invest too much time into it unless it gets interesting - certainly not going to pay for characters, etc., however..

Castro27

Played a few hours yesterday and, server issues aside, I had a great time. The Non-battlepass requirements are complete bullshit though. With heros being locked at tier 55 it will take ages to get there (10k exp/tier with an average of 1.5k exp per match).

TVexperto

Didnt even know that it was released, cant wait to play the PvE missions they talked years ago. How are they?

Word of mouth on this game is abysmal. My friend has a few thousand hours logged on the first game and he hasn't even mentioned this game at all. Outside the phone number stuff that the internet is mad about, I know nothing about this game which wasn't the case with the first one.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Yeah. It launched to almost no response from the community. It's basically dead.

...which is why it has 215K viewers on Twitch (more than any other game) and you can't even log into the game because so many people are hammering the servers.

Absolutely dead on arrival.

Dynasty8

Game is very fun...but wtf is up with the servers man? It's been 24 hours and they're still getting DDoS? Most of the time this shit is taken care of after the first few hours.

It has no fanfare because of a DDOS attack and people unable to play it, also because forums like this are skewed towards single player gamers, which is why you rarely see tons of posts about Fortnite or Minecraft or Warzone (until the acquisition) despite those games being massive.

Fbh

Will download it to try it out.
But I doubt I'll stick around for long, from my experience these team based games suck ass if you don't have enough friends playing to make up a whole party.

One of the main reasons I like Rocket League so much. You can play 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 depending on which of your friends are online so you never have to team up with randoms.

tmlDan

I actually really enjoy it, the new heroes are super fun to play and much better than old stale boring ones.

I'm having a blast, just wish the DDOS attack didn't happen so they can focus on fixing glitches for people.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I launched it and it was just Overwatch but without any of the skins and stuff I had unlocked before.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Most of the players including myself left OW1 as blizzard decided to cater the esports more and more than the core playerbase, role queue was the last straw to force players to do esports teamwork than having fun.
Is that what you call it? I'm not sure what I was but I remember life getting busy and then coming back to see it was forcing me into a role and then I never launched it again because fuck that noise.

Top Bottom