• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So PC mouse/keyboard players are playing against console players on COD Warzone. How has that been playing out?

I just found out COD Warzone cross-matches PC and consoles players by default.

There was always that age old argument that you can never pair a PC player against a console player using a controller or otherwise it would be extremely unfair.

Now it's happening like it's no big deal in a major triple A title.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but how wasn't this bigger news?

Are console players getting slaughtered by the master race?

And also, furthermore, since when have PS4 and Xbox players been allowed to play against each other? That seems almost... sacrilegious. When did that start happening and in what titles? Is it every multiplatform title now or just COD?

I thought Sony was vehemently against it?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Don’t they usually have input based filters for matchmaking? I was under the impression that (at least some) games didn’t explicitly put m/kb players with controller players for that reason.

If it is happening, it can’t be fun for controller players to get slaughtered. The only chance console players would really have would be if gyro aiming was a thing.

cormack12

Gold Member
I just found out COD Warzone cross-matches PC and consoles players by default.

There was always that age old argument that you can never pair a PC player against a console player using a controller or otherwise it would be extremely unfair.

Now it's happening like it's no big deal in a major triple A title.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but how wasn't this bigger news?

Are console players getting slaughtered by the master race?

And also, furthermore, since when have PS4 and Xbox players been allowed to play against each other? That seems almost... sacrilegious. When did that start happening and in what titles? Is it multiplatform title now or just COD?

I thought Sony was vehemently against it?

It was, but it was pretty much squashed as an issue because of the amount of cheating in Warzone in general from PC players

However, some console players still cheat using these kind of things on console (but these wll be much less in numbers)

Forced crossplay will be the death of many games being taken seriously but I doubt a lot of players are even aware of the issues

Warablo

A lot of PC players just did a work around to match up with console players and wreck them if not outright cheat. Crossplay has to be better than this if its gonna work out.

ethomaz

Banned
Just disable crossplay... it is useless and unfair.

To be fair devs should get rid of crossplay feature but after the Crossplaygate we moved again to another bad excuse to fuck up PlayStation players.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Just disable crossplay... it is useless and unfair.

To be fair devs should get rid of crossplay feature but after the Crossplaygate we moved again to another bad excuse to fuck up PlayStation players.

Agree. Putting gamepad players against mouse and keyboard players is unfair just by itself.

You can't disable crossplay in Warzone

Also what has PS players got to do with this now =\?

Last edited:

Amaranty

I've played it a bit on console. Auto aim on consoles is quite strong and recoil handling is easy, much easier than compared to Apex Legends.

The biggest issue is a lack field of view option. I think that is a bigger advantage for PC players than using a kb/m.

Aion002

Crossplay is trash. Every game on ps4 that I play and got crossplay update has become worse, so many cheaters on Apex and Smite these days. Before this crosshit, someone cheating was kinda like a rare situation, now it's like almost a weekly encounter.

The worst part is that the games are setting crossplays as the default, so when you turn it off it's harder to find matches.

Before the crosshit I never had on ps4 any issues in playing quick matches on Smite and Apex, now if you turn off the crosshit it takes too much time to get a match.

Crossplay should be only allowed by default with console players. Sorry pc players, but cheaters suck.

Now, allowing mouse/keyboard against controllers is just mean.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Crossplay should be only allowed by default with console players. Sorry pc players, but cheaters suck.

Now, allowing mouse/keyboard against controllers is just mean.
With that I agree. Crossplay is great because it makes the game never dies

But you also must separate controller players from MKB players

CoD is garbage and so is Activision. They can't even make the input device based lobbies works properly, let alone dealing with hacks.

In Apex you don't get to play with PC players unless you have a PC player in your team.

Last edited:

Banned
Agree. Putting gamepad players against mouse and keyboard players is unfair just by itself.
unfair for whom?

PC players bitch and moan about aim assist... so is ir unfair for mouse players?

also, mouse and keyboard are supported on every version

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
unfair for whom?

PC players bitch and moan about aim assist... so is ir unfair for mouse players?

also, mouse and keyboard are supported on every version
No amount of aim assist match the accuracy of the mouse point... sorry.

BTW where do you use a mouse/kb in a console that is on your living room without any table to support them? lol
C'mon mouse/kb is barely a thing to console players.

Last edited:
unfair against whom?

Is it a serious question? Mouse and keyboard will always destroy gamepad if players are on similar skill level. It's not even a contest.

Yes, I know there are some pro players that are super accurate on a gamepad so don't come up with this bullshit please.

Watching casual players trying to aim with a gamepad on YouTube in first person perspective games makes me cringe every single time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
With that I agree. Crossplay is great because it makes the game never dies

But you also must separate controller players from MKB players

CoD is garbage and so is Activision. They can't even make the input device based lobbies works properly, let alone dealing with hacks.

In Apex you don't get to play with PC players unless you have a PC player in your team.

Isnt that what COD and Gears do?

They are the only competitive games ive tried PC crossplay on and I assumed it was the standard.

To play vs Console players on PC you must be using a controller, even if you disconnect the controller the game just wont respond to m/kb inputs if you are in a controller match.
Granted im not a heavy COD player so I cant really attest to whether m/kb players on PC still enter controller lobbies willy nilly but when I did try if i was m/kb it was all m/kb when i used a controller i got all controller players.

With Gears for competitive its controller vs controller and m/kb vs m/kb because you can use m/kb on console.
In horde and co-op m/kb and controller can play together and it tells you who is using m/kb.

Banned
Is it a serious question? Mouse and keyboard will always destroy gamepad if players are on similar skill level. It's not even a contest.

Yes, I know there are some pro players that are super accurate on a gamepad so don't come up with this bullshit please.

Watching casual players trying to aim with a gamepad on YouTube in first person perspective games makes me cringe every single time.

yet, people compete on controller and mouse players bitch about them all the time.

same is true for Fortnite and Apex btw.

and as I said, every version supports mouse and keyboard so disabling crossplay won't get rid of that

Last edited:
No gamepad will ever rival m/kb combination. The response time and precision is just nowhere near on gamepad in comparison to PC.

Touch controls can probably compete with mouse but you finger will burn to catch up to mouse speed :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned

They are the only competitive games ive tried PC crossplay on and I assumed it was the standard.

To play vs Console players on PC you must be using a controller, even if you disconnect the controller the game just wont respond to m/kb inputs if you are in a controller match.
Granted im not a heavy COD player so I cant really attest to whether m/kb players on PC still enter controller lobbies willy nilly but when I did try if i was m/kb it was all m/kb when i used a controller i got all controller players.

With Gears for competitive its controller vs controller and m/kb vs m/kb because you can use m/kb on console.
In horde and co-op m/kb and controller can play together and it tells you who is using m/kb.
Most PC players tricks the system.
They used Mouse/KB but the game thinks they are using controller so matching them in the controller pool.
And it is not even an advanced thing in PC space.

Last edited:
With the amount of aim assist, controller vs m+kb isn't a huge issue in COD, especially when you add a dose of skill-based matchmaking. Cheaters from the PC version are a bigger issue, and I hope the industry gets a better handle on cheaters in general. Overall games going platform agnostic is an excellent thing.

ethomaz

Banned
With the amount of aim assist, controller vs m+kb isn't a huge issue in COD, especially when you add a dose of skill-based matchmaking. Cheaters from the PC version are a bigger issue, and I hope the industry gets a better handle on cheaters in general. Overall games going platform agnostic is an excellent thing.
Cheaters will be always a issue in a Open Platform... you can't block people to install apps that cheat the game... and no matter what devs do hackers and modders will always find a way to overcome them.

That was one of the advantages of consoles closed ecosystems before the Crossplaygate.

If I buy a game on console I'm not interested in play against others platforms at all... against PC then it is abomination just the ideia to allow it.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Warzone doesn't have a ranked or competitive scene yet, so hard to find out. In Apex Legends there's a big chunk of pro players using controller Vs. mouse/keyboard. One of the best controller players is TSM_snip3down.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
console players getting owned probably. the difference between controller + kb/m is crazy. they really shouldn't be in the same servers.

When I'm on console I'm not interested in playing with cheaters.
lol whatever... yeah there are cheaters but the skill of players on pc with kb/m can be mistaken for cheating. see above...when you have a kb/m you play a lot better. there is much more precision and of course PC players are likely playing on 144-240Hz displays. you're gonna be dead before you even see them.

Droxcy

Controller is just free kills but I like my reaction time with m/k being able to flick on people quicker.

Hackers in warzone have been a real issue for awhile now they ban them actively but you'll still lose that match you just played for 25-30 minutes which will piss you off.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
lol whatever... yeah there are cheaters but the skill of players on pc with kb/m can be mistaken for cheating. see above...when you have a kb/m you play a lot better. there is much more precision and of course PC players are likely playing on 144-240Hz displays. you're gonna be dead before you even see them.

Not even interested in crossplay with Xbox. Platform holder should have full control to terminate those fuckers instead of the 3rd party hassle.

If I wanna play with PC gamers I'll play on my PC.

HTK

Banned
When it comes to kb/m vs. controllers it's pretty balanced. kb/m is better when it comes to snipers while controllers are better in more up-close engagements. (Again this can vary by player skill level obviously.)

Console players need the next gen upgrade for FOV and 120fps.

I have grown tired of Warzone as it's the only game I've played in 2020, this Black Ops Cold War update ruined the game for me.

- Broken Weapons
- No Real New Map
- PC lobbies have forced me to disable crossplay as almost every match has cheaters. (Only PlayStation allows you to disable crossplay, PC and Xbox don't have that option.)

I don't know just beginning to feel like a huge waste of time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They used Mouse/KB but the game thinks they are using controller so matching them in the controller pool.

"Most"

Beyond the usual having friends with controller how are they doing this and is it really as prevalent as you say it is?
And whats the real benefit of doing it?
Might as well play with bots right?

Do you play COD and Gears?

HTK

Banned
console players getting owned probably. the difference between controller + kb/m is crazy. they really shouldn't be in the same servers.

Some console players play on PC with a controller as well. Plenty of Warzone tournaments have been won with a controller, world record of kills is by a controller player.

Just because you use a kb/m doesn't make you a good player. Like I said it's pretty balanced outside if Sniping (Much easier on PC) and Controllers seem to do really well on close quarter combat. But again it all depends on the skill of the player.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's not entirely tilted in the favor of PC players. The autoaim for controller means that if you manage to get on target you're easily staying on target regardless of what happens. There's an inflection point in there where if you're good enough to begin with the autoaim makes up for the other disadvantages, and you see this in any/all of the good controller players on the streaming services.

Cheating is rampant on PC and almost non-existent on console. Mainly due to the cost of entry and potential ramifications if you're caught. Cheating on PC merely requires software, on console it requires hardware and/or hardware mods. It's also a lot easier to ban a particular console and make that ban stick due to the walled garden ecosystem. PC hardware bans on the other hand are a joke.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
"Most"

Beyond the usual having friends with controller how are they doing this and is it really as prevalent as you say it is?
And whats the real benefit of doing it?
Might as well play with bots right?

Do you play COD and Gears?
CoD yes... Gears not.

Are do you mean with bots? I always played against humans on every CoD MP on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

I’m honestly not sure about that. What I’m sure of is when I played at that time the lobbies were mixed in standard MP and Warzone. It was because of a bug just not sure now about how it works now

Logically all lobbies should be input device based unless your team consists at least one player using MKB

Because honestly no matter how strong the aim assist a controller player has, we will still have an advantage. Apex did it perfectly so I don’t know why a multi billion dollar company can’t even implement a good system

Last edited:

mxbison

No amount of aim assist match the accuracy of the mouse point... sorry.

Don't know how it is now, but when I played a CoD game on PS3 the auto-aim was crazy good. If you pressed the aim button anywhere near an enemy it would instantly snap on him.
I had thousands of hours in Counterstrike and could never aim that fast lol.

Maybe not as fast as a super skilled player with mouse and keyboard, but definitely fast enough that I wouldn't want to play against it.

Mista

Banned
Just like how console players can trick the system and plug MKB in console lobbies.

well most ps4 players disable crossplay......if you don't have friends on Xbox its also the same
the main issue aint the control methods (which can be tricked with devices like Xim or Titan2) but the amount of hackers on there

These idiots subscribe to cheat programs which give them hacks for Rainbow Six/GTA V / BFV and Modern Warfare/Black Ops) and most are still undeleted

It's not entirely tilted in the favor of PC players. The autoaim for controller means that if you manage to get on target you're easily staying on target regardless of what happens. There's an inflection point in there where if you're good enough to begin with the autoaim makes up for the other disadvantages, and you see this in any/all of the good controller players on the streaming services.

Cheating is rampant on PC and almost non-existent on console. Mainly due to the cost of entry and potential ramifications if you're caught. Cheating on PC merely requires software, on console it requires hardware and/or hardware mods. It's also a lot easier to ban a particular console and make that ban stick due to the walled garden ecosystem. PC hardware bans on the other hand are a joke.

As someone that plays several games online on PC using an Xbox One controller, pretty much agree with this and don't really see the issue with mixing control types myself. There are more factors to player performance than just control method to be honest.

The real issue is the ease of cheating really for PC users, likely due to having direct access to the game files too - but then that falls on the publisher/developer to have robust system to keep that in check when accessing servers.

Mista

Banned
well most ps4 players disable crossplay......if you don't have friends on Xbox its also the same
the main issue aint the control methods (which can be tricked with devices like Xim or Titan2) but the amount of hackers on there

These idiots subscribe to cheat programs which give them hacks for Rainbow Six/GTA V / BFV and Modern Warfare/Black Ops) and most are still undeleted
And those dumb idiots with all the money they got can’t even implement a decent anti-cheat. Thank fuck the games I play doesn’t have hackers

If anything, it's exposed some truths that were downplayed previously. At least that I've seen.

Back before crossplay was available on games such as this, one of the knocks on pc gaming was having to deal with cheaters. PC players always downplayed this, claiming that cheating on pc was actually a very rare occurrence.

The results have determined that, that was a lie. Now with crossplay fully enabled, it's easily observable that in fact... Cheating on pc is widespread and common. There's literally been times when the ratio of games with cheaters was roughly about 1 out of every 3 games played.

The other main claim was that the average m/kb player would destroy the average controller player. Aim assist or not.

As Maury would say once again... The results have determined that, that was a lie. The cream of the crop is dominated by m/kb players, but that consists of perhaps the top 5% of players. The rest are a mix of both. While crossplay is enabled, the games does attempt to pool m/kb players with others using the same input methods, and likewise with controller users. There are instances though where the last few spots to fill up a lobby may have players using a different input. M/kb players not being able to wholesale dominate those on controller has had some interesting results that most wouldn't have predicted though. Chief among them being some m/kb players crying foul regarding skill based matchmaking at a far higher rate. This is especially prevalent with M/kb youtubers believing that they'd easily get good content, as they'd often be facing helpless players on a controller. Once they found themselves not having the massive advantage they thought they would.... They began blaming skill based matchmaking for their lack of easy wins. The devs have tweaked the matchmaking formula a bit, but despite what they claim. It's clear that the majority of people who regularly complain about SBMM are m/kb users attempting to find easier lobbies. It's no coincidence that their number 2 complaint is that controller players have too much aim assist. Making it unfair for m/kb users.

While I wouldn't call it an outright failure, crossplay in COD is sort of a loss for both platforms. Mostly due to blatant cheating that goes unchecked by Activision. Consoles lose because they're now placed with those outside their walled garden. Perhaps the only benefit to paying for either XBL or PSN, was the relatively safe and cheater free environment it provided. Those people are still paying that fee, yet they're no longer able to fully enjoy that cheater free environment.

PC loses because crossplay really could've provided the perfect opportunity to demonstrate some of the benefits of playing on pc. Console users being able to mingle with pc players likely could've resulted in many console users switching over to pc. The widespread popularity of Warzone at just the right time when a new console generation starts with almost no new consoles available should've created a perfect storm of sorts. While there could've been a world where there was a surge of gamers moving from console to pc... Cheaters prevented any chance of that being the case anytime soon. Unless their objective is to cheat. Console players are likely to want nothing to do with crossplay with pc players in games such as this. For millions of console users playing Warzone. Any credibility pc hoped to have as a viable platform is gone. It's unfortunate, but hopefully pushes the importance of anticheat software even further to the forefront.

Last edited:
A lot of assumptions in here, reality is a good number of the big Warzone streamers actually use controller, not mouse keyboard. Even despite the fact they play on PC. There is a lot of aim assist that makes the controller advantageous in some respects. I used keyboard and mouse for a bit on my PS4 and went back to controller because it just felt better to play.

The real issue with the game is PC cheaters.

Mista

Banned
A lot of assumptions in here, reality is a good number of the big Warzone streamers actually use controller, not mouse keyboard. Even despite the fact they play on PC. There is a lot of aim assist that makes the controller advantageous in some respects. I used keyboard and mouse for a bit on my PS4 and went back to controller because it just felt better to play.

The real issue with the game is PC cheaters.
Because the aim assist in CoD is literally aim botting. You don’t see PC players using controller in other games

Because the aim assist in CoD is literally aim botting. You don’t see PC players using controller in other games
I mean, yes and no. Sure you could reduct it to aimbotting, but ultimately their goal is to make a universally competitive game no matter how you want to play, and they have done that.

And besides even calling it aim botting isn't really fair at all, because when you see a PC cheater actually aim botting and killing you, it looks very different than a console player trust me lol

Top Bottom