• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

BigDug13

He didn't get banned for nothing... people, start to read the posts in this thread. Can't believe what some people post here.

MS customer service said you can do whatever you want with the console. He is free to do what he wants.

He posts youtube video of an unboxing which Major Nelson had posted weeks ago and gets banned. How is that justified?

See, he mentioned he had to reload CoD Ghosts at one point and they instantly banned him. What lies beneath the Xbox One OS? I am starting to feel concerned. CONCERN is radiating from me.

Maybe it wasn't MS that called for the ban, maybe it was Activision? There was a guy earlier on twitter last night that was warning him about showing Ghosts since other people were getting take down notices on YT for leaking footage

The funny thing was that those videos were the first thing that made me want an XB1. Waking up to find he was banned took care of that interest rather quickly.

Loakum

Banned
He didn't get banned for nothing... people, start to read the posts in this thread. Can't believe what some people post here.

Then plllllease educate us on why a person who legally purchased a console, that was sent early, and updated it with a update that's currently live on Microsoft's online network. Please show us the error of our posts...I'm waiting?

weeeeezy

Banned
no is not.

seriously its not. if you don't want systems on it, don't put it live... or use IP whitelisting for those that are supposed to have it early

anything but this
Why does it matter how they do it? As long as the console works on day one it shouldn't matter how the console functions at the moment.

Do you honestly think they're going to do that? They don't care. They got his money, they made a "great" excuse to ban him (they consider the console a 'beta' because it isn't released yet -- which would scare the shit out of me if I was purchasing an XB1) and they're going to move on.

If they don't, then fantastic, but I'm putting no faith in their decision making at this point.

None of us know what MS will do for the guy, I think it would backfire if they leave the console banned. Just wait till launch day, if it's still banned then MS deserves to get their ass handed to them.

hornetpie

Neo Member
this be albert and major today

anger460.jpg

DBT85

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson 2m
@Moonlightswami Love to know more about what happened w/ your console. Can you follow and DM me and I'll get this sorted out? Thanks.

oux1m6n.png

Microsoft reserves the right to suspend/ban that console under the TOS.
Well, I just finished reading the TOS, and although I didn't see anything about having access to the console early, MS does have an out:
8. NO Warranties

MICROSOFT, AND OUR AFFILIATES, RESELLERS, DISTRIBUTORS, AND VENDORS, MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS WITH RESPECT TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THAT WE PROVIDE THE SERVICES ON AN “AS IS” BASIS “WITH ALL FAULTS” AND “AS AVAILABLE.” MICROSOFT DOESN'T GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR TIMELINESS OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE SERVICES. To the extent permitted under your local law, we exclude any implied warranties, including for merchantability, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, and non-infringement. You may have certain rights under your local law. Nothing in this Agreement is intended to affect those rights, if they are applicable.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT computer and telecommunications systems are not fault-free and occasional periods of downtime occur. We do not guarantee the services will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free or that CONTENT loss won't occur.
TL:DR Use Live at your own risk.

Youtube reserves the right to remove your content for essentially any reason. Fair use is a defense against a copyright infringement claim and does not protect you against private parties censoring your content on their own platforms.
Yeah, as an IP attorney I'm not sure there's a valid copyright claim here unless he obtained the console unlawfully. YouTube can (and does) regularly remove stuff that is not subject to any copyright violations.

hornetpie

Neo Member
Why does it matter how they do it? As long as the console works on day one it shouldn't matter how the console functions at the moment.

None of us know what MS will do for the guy, I think it would backfire if they leave the console banned. Just wait till launch day, if it's still banned then MS deserves to get their ass handed to them.

you don't ban legitimate customer from using your service if a product is released early.

sony isn't doing this by the way............

there are ways and means to ENSURE that you don't let people in without banning them and its actually not that hard to do at all. Firewall, ip whitelist, done.

seriously for a company the size of MS this is a monumental fuck up that could have been so easily avoided

edit: so major has tweeted. I lean more and more and even more towards automated ban rather than intended.

c0de

Then plllllease educate us on why a person who legally purchased a console, that was sent early, and updated it with a update that's currently live on Microsoft's online network. Please show us the error of our posts...I'm waiting?

You already have it in your first sentence.

BigDug13

@Moonlightswami Love to know more about what happened w/ your console. Can you follow and DM me and I'll get this sorted out? Thanks.

Figured bad publicity would call these guys into action. Still makes me question their blanket policies.

Good to hear Larry is on the case. He always seemed like a guy who really cares about the product and the fans. Surely he sees what a mess this has become.

fritolay

I thought of a comparison.

If Ford or Toyota had a new car. A dealership sold it early. If Ford or Toyota enabled a kill switch so you could not start the car, people would go crazy.

If Ford or Toyota had a new online media interface for this car, a new platform for searching the web and new maps, and it was not ready yet until the planned release date for people to use, I can see them disabling the internet portion until release date. Of course if the car actually said "available Nov 22nd" this would be much better. Otherwise the person buying the car would go back to the dealership and ask why a feature of their new car is not working.

I think MS is just trying to keep new XBOX Ones off of live until they are ready, and this does not seem crazy. They just aren't doing the PR thing correct again.

tbm24

Clearly this means he's gonna send in a SWAT team to take the console back to Target. That's why he didnt do it in at 1am this morning, signing the checks.

Mugatu

What's Target's return policy in the US like? I'd personally just return the banned console on the day of launch, get my money back and then buy another (assuming MS don't remove the ban before then).

Crappy thing is that then some kid will unwrap that same open box Xbox One on Christmas morning and find that its useless. And there probably won't be any more consoles in store to exchange it with.

A console ban is very serious and MS doesn't seem to realize this. What other product do you buy where the manufacturer can come and just turn it off because they don't like what you do with it?

Ford doesn't come and remove my ignition even if I drink and drive and kill someone with one of their products but filming it being taken out of the box is worthy of such punishment? This is completely and utterly ridiculous.

weeeeezy

Banned
People should just relax about the console ban right now. Like I said above, as long as the ban is lifted at launch no one should be yelling and screaming.

c0de

Perhaps they were worried about his 'long term' experience. We know it goes into stasis if it overheats (like most electronics these days) but what if it does it regularly and after only a couple of hours. Could this be what CBOAT was referring to?

What? He can still tell us if it happens. He can still use the console 24/7...

Petrae

The console is not released to the public yet so the ban is fine.

Not released to the public... so what? The guy legitimately bought and paid for his console, and the retailer shipped it to him ahead of schedule, with no restrictions. So he set it up, got the update, used his console like normal, then... BAN.

Perhaps it's automated, as some gaming press folks on Twitter maintain. Perhaps it was a targeted ban because he shared info that we weren't supposed to know yet for whatever reason.

Still, he's a paying customer who got shafted because he wanted to use the item that he paid for when he got it, as opposed to waiting for a date that was not warned on the packaging or via the TOS. There are no specific rules in place about sharing images and content if you are a customer, unless you're an XBO dev who pulls TOS interpretations out of his ass.

Customers are not responsible for adhering to street dates, especially when the product itself does not warm them against it. This ban is not "fine".

It's bullshit.

pompidu

oux1m6n.png

saving the day! I think he sees the impending pr debacle exploding

oux1m6n.png

I guess Major is the smartest one out of the bunch. He realizes that this is the best PR they have had, he realizes this is better than what most of his co-workers have done PR Wise. Kudos to Major Nelson, and I am far from a fan of his.

Loakum

Banned
You already have it in your first sentence.
Is that the best you got? lol, I knew you didn't have anything. Funny, Major Nelson just tweeted him to DM him in hopes of fixing this. So much for your theory of this being a justified bann.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
I guess, if your GT gets banned on Xbox One it's also banned on your 360, right? Terminating your entire library of digital licenses across two consoles should your hardware ever fail. Now, that's a comforting thought considering that MS probably can ban you for a wet fart in front of your Kinect 2.0.

oux1m6n.png

Hope this works out well for him, instead of like Stinkles never following through with helping others get unbanned.

oux1m6n.png

Good to hear. I Tweeted him myself earlier asking him to sort this out. He could ignore us but it never hurts to ask.

saving the day! I think he sees the impending pr debacle exploding

Well, when he got banned, it absolutely blew the fuck up on twitter. I bet Major Nelson tells him "Look, do what you want with the system, JUST DONT SHOW FUCKING Call of Duty, its embargoed! Now we will un-ban you!"

Top Bottom