• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Curufinwe

What's I'm shocked that no one is really talking is the fact that it takes 25 minutes to install a game before you can start playing it (Installing 40-50ishGB games from Blu-ray that only need to have half of the game installed to start will NEVER take less than 15-20 minutes)

Remember when when people were bitching about the PS3 installs?

From what I've gathered the PS4 doesn't require any mandatory installation of game prior to starting as it does it all on the fly....

I installed all my 360 games. I don't think it's an issue.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What's I'm shocked that no one is really talking is the fact that it takes 25 minutes to install a game before you can start playing it (Installing 40-50ishGB games from Blu-ray that only need to have half of the game installed to start will NEVER take less than 15-20 minutes)

From what I've gathered the PS4 doesn't require any mandatory installation of game prior to starting as it does it all on the fly....

This dude has a really skewed sense of time, though. Who knows how long it really is.

Not on the fly,it's the same you need to update for watching blu ray on ps4,etc

Chucker

Honestly, I install all of my 360 games too. 9 times out of 10 it's either waiting for me at home when I get done with work, or I pick it up on the way home. I just set the install, change out of my suit and do some chores while I wait. Sure, I could just pop it in and go, but I bought that big hard drive for a reason, might as well use it.

This would also go for PS3 if they allowed installs like the 360 did. It's not that big of a deal, and PCGaf has been downloading and installing games for years.
Basically this isn't a thing worth fighting, the end result should be a smoother experience.

SHADES

• Guy gets Xbox One shipped early from Target
  • Decides to post video of an unboxing on YouTube
  • Continues uploading images via gyazo of the dashboard, Xbox Games Store and whatever else you'd come across on the console
  • Browses Xbox Games Store and shares images and details of what is available, descriptions and whatnot
  • Video gets flagged on YouTube
  • Console is banned from Xbox LIVE
  • Users, going from graphic whores to lawyers in the matter of days, believe that Microsoft are abusing their own Terms of Use and the ban was not justified

DaFuq?

liquidtmd

Banned
only sonygaf has found another reason to be angry about a console they will never buy so the rest of gaf have to suffer it. it's getting tiresome.

As a paid up 360 owner all this gen and not owning a Sony console since PS1, I'm opting for PS4 precisely because of fuck ups like this and a mountain of other fuck ups this year. I want to like the console. DR3 looks up my street. I just actively dislike MS's attitude, pretty much from dropping proactive 360 support for the last 18 months, to the Xbone reveal.

'B-b-but Sony would do the same' re: banning. As the many examples from others have illustrated, they haven't and have now been quoted from Yosh as they won't.

The only tiresome thing is the conversation MS wanting to have being decidely one way traffic.

Tapiozona

Banned
Nelson has always been a major tool. He might as well be wearing a green leather gimp outfit with an x branded on his exposed buttock.

Hyperbolae aside, many would have more respect from the man if he were at least reasonable and unbiased towards even the negative aspects of MS, rather than be the ultimate apologist. It would give his opinion more credibility. But no, his tone is too submissive to take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Its a job he's chosen. No pity for his flack.at.all.

At least he's smart enough to get paid, and paid well, to be a fanboy. You're the sucker who does it for free.

zebwinz

It is quite obvious that the console was banned because it was not on a white list.

Just look at this picture:
xboxone12_verge_super_wide.png

112 people playing Killer Instinct, 3 people playing Ghosts, etc on a Friday night.
It shows that there are only a couple hundred Xbox Ones in the wild, most likely only employee at home test units. Game review sites have not even received review units yet (if they are going to at all). Makes complete sense that any console connected to Xbox Live would have to be on the white list and if it wasn't, that console would be automatically banned. There is no Joe Microsoft watching in his ivory tower, verifying every MAC address that comes his Surface screen.

I'm not talking about blu-ray movies...

Games are playable out of the box for PS4, no update required (unless you want to use online services)

Every game on xbox one and PS4 have a mandatory install. And only some games have the feature of playing while installing,it needs to install some parts though first before playing.

zebwinz

As a paid up 360 owner all this gen and not owning a Sony console since PS1, I'm opting for PS4 precisely because of fuck ups like this and a mountain of other fuck ups this year. I want to like the console. DR3 looks up my street. I just actively dislike MS's attitude, pretty much from dropping proactive 360 support for the last 18 months, to the Xbone reveal.

'B-b-but Sony would do the same' re: banning. As the many examples from others have illustrated, they haven't and have now been quoted from Yosh as they won't.

The only tiresome thing is the conversation MS wanting to have being decidely one way traffic.

Yosp quote was from a EU user (mentioned the 29th) asking about getting his console early. If it was any time after the 15th, of course he wouldn't be banned.

Snubbers

Anyone defending Microsoft in banning this guy's console is ridiculous and highly suspect.

I'm not seeing why MS are so culpable.. look at the douche trying to sell on ebay at a super inflated price, trying to 'luck in'.. the fact MS have the infrastructure to enforce any street dates doesn't make them evil..

Target screwed up, and the end user does not deserve to be out of pocket because of their screw up, so they should simply sort it out for them, give them a console on launch day that isn't banned, and everyone is happy again..

I am not getting an XB1, and I wish MS had more reasonably policies, but I can see why they would stop this guy from getting the jump on every outlet bound by NDA until the 12th November for certain stuff..

If Target don't sort it out, and had MS banned his account, then I'd say they'd really gone too far and I'd certainly be that bit happier in my reasons for not choosing their console over the competition.

kmg90

It is quite obvious that the console was banned because it was not on a white list.

112 people playing Killer Instinct, 3 people playing Ghosts, etc on a Friday night.
It shows that there are only a couple hundred Xbox Ones in the wild, most likely only employee at home test units. Game review sites have not even received review units yet (if they are going to at all). Makes complete sense that any console connected to Xbox Live would have to be on the white list and if it wasn't, that console would be automatically banned. There is no Joe Microsoft watching in his ivory tower, verifying every MAC address that comes his Surface screen.

If they were implementing some sort of whitelist system, why wasn't he banned IMMEDIATELY after trying to connect?

He was banned after using a good portion of the service

This was done by someone at Microsoft, not some robot that monitors systems connecting...

weeeeezy

Banned
In that case I would be interested to see exactly why they banned the console. I can't see the guy doing it, but it might make an interesting court case if he tried to sue them.
Sue them? The console is not even released yet. If the console doesn't work on release day then he probably does have the right to sue. But for now, he just has to wait to see if Major can do something for him pre-launch.

it really isn't.,

if only any of the shit going around were divorced from the passions and interests of launch windows and console preference.

it's another chance to have a bitch. again.
I invite you to go through my post history, I slam MS and SONY when they screw up, and give them kudos when they do good. A lot of us here do. Implying anything negative towards Microsoft is just fanboy bitching is disingenuous. Sure, some people here do, but it's not the majority.

Godslay

Banned
It's not an MS / SONY issue, it's a consumer rights issue.

Not really. It's Microsoft's network, they can regulate it as they see fit. You are a paying guest, that's all. It will now be the same with PS+.

If they don't want the general public to have access on the Xbone until the 22nd, then that's what it is. No sense of entitlement is going to change that.

SHADES

I reached out to him and I'll get this sorted out. His console will not be permabanned that is for sure.

On a side note, I think they guy did a pretty good PR job for you guys, UI looks sweet ;-) I may be getting a XBone sooner than I thought thanks to seeing this guys take on it.

Cryolemon

Sue them? The console is not even released yet. If the console doesn't work on release day then he probably does have the right to sue. But for now, he just has to wait to see if Major can do something for him pre-launch.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. I have doubts that a US court would find in his favour somehow though. The EU might.

jond76

Banned
Not really. It's Microsoft's network, they can regulate it as they see fit. You are a paying guest, that's all. It will now be the same with PS+.

If they don't want the general public to have access on the Xbone until the 22nd, then that's what it is. No sense of entitlement is going to change that.

Gotta agree with this.

zebwinz

If they were implementing some sort of whitelist system, why wasn't he banned IMMEDIATELY after trying to connect?

He was banned after using a good portion of the service

This was done by someone at Microsoft, not some robot that monitors systems connecting...

Seems like he wasn't banned until after he popped Ghosts in and started playing, which probably connected him to Xbox Live proper.

Top Bottom