• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

A visual representation of MS's Xbox PR department:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg
I love that gif... But, really, the initial ban had nothing to do with bad PR. And to be fair, it seems that Microsoft's PR (Major Nelson) is acting very quickly to rectify the situation.

liquidtmd

Banned
I reached out to him and I'll get this sorted out. His console will not be permabanned that is for sure.

Good news. The guy sounded like he was enjoying the UI and other bits and pieces. Unfortunate it came to you having to get involved. No systems infallible, but surely a contigency of consoles getting out early was considered and banning without further information about it being lifted etc can't have been the best way forward? Again were only going on what the guy whose been banned has advised.

Been quite a charged and polarising thread and whilst not enough to change my purchasing mind, those opting for Xbone do have many things to look forward to. Sending the 'we can ban and send no further info unless you cause a stink on GAF and get the major involved' message sucks

I reached out to him and I'll get this sorted out. His console will not be permabanned that is for sure.

Will he be unbanned as soon as he gets back to you, or are you going to make him wait until the 22nd to play the thing he just paid you guys $500 for?

Sorry if that sounds hostile, but you guys have had a track record lately of obfuscating.

Bgamer90

Banned
Seems like he wasn't banned until after he popped Ghosts in and started playing, which probably connected him to Xbox Live proper.

And as someone mentioned, Ghosts currently has an embargo so the people who can only play it right now are probably people who have been given the a-ok (e.g.: press).

I really wish that people would stop, look at information that's already there, make logical connections, and then state what they felt happened but it's the internet and people just love spreading FUD without seeing various sides.

It seems like there was an automated system in place -- not a person at MS seeing him and then deciding to ban him.

Xenon

On the road to next gen, MS has made many wrong turns. They should have had the networked locked down in the first place if they were that concerned about something like this happening.

spwolf

Anyone defending Microsoft in banning this guy's console is ridiculous and highly suspect.

i cant believe people think this is what should happen... Microsoft needs to take this up with Target and not with users that got their consoles few days early.

But again, this is the same type of stuff they have been doing all this year, nothing has changed at all from February onwards.

rjinaz

he wasn't. only sonygaf has found another reason to be angry about a console they will never buy so the rest of gaf have to suffer it. it's getting tiresome.

First, sonygaf? Really?

Second, I may favor the PS4, but as a fan of video games, I will most definitely buy the Xbox One at some point as I imagine many others that favor the PS4 right now will.

artist

Banned
Will he be unbanned as soon as he gets back to you, or are you going to make him wait until the 22nd to play the thing he just paid you guys $500 for?

Sorry if that sounds hostile, but you guys have had a track record lately of obfuscating.
He specifically said "wont be permabanned", so I'm guessing he'll be banned until the 22nd. :)

Okay, don't correct me for what I said that was wrong. Just be passive aggressive and sarcastic.

He isn't under an embargo, he bought the console and the game with his own money, and he hasn't signed an NDA.

Sorry, it is just getting a little ridiculous to see people defending a consumer being banned for buying something and being excited about trying it out.

Bgamer90

Banned
On the road to next gen, MS has made many wrong turns. They should have had the networked locked down in the first place if they were that concerned about something like this happening.

How could the press review the online games/the system then?

It needs to be opened for them right now. I'm pretty sure that MS thought that a major retailer like Target wouldn't have broken the date.

SHADES

Good to hear. Hope it sates the Gafs thirst for blood.

I don't think anyone's out for blood, I think your looking at this completely wrong.

GAF is merely out for what's right & as acknowledged by the Major, having this guys console banned clearly isn't right and I'd imagine GAF's reaction would be exactly the same had this been a PS4 that got bricked pre-release.

It's good to see MS reps responding swiftly & correctly.

Major Nelson

Neo Member

I'll try to get him on a bit early, but the service, store and UI are still getting some finishing touches on it so we're not completely ready yet.

FStop7

Banned
Okay, don't correct me for what I said that was wrong. Just be passive aggressive and sarcastic.

There is no embargo. The whole "embargo" thing is a non-contractual, informal agreement between the publishers and press. It has nothing to do with customers.

Also, glad to see Major Nelson has committed to fixing this.

Vizzeh

Banned
A) It'll probably never ship early so he can say whatever he wants. And

B) That's not what happened here either.

Looks like they blocked access to Live because its not ready. (or broadcasting an unfinished product).

So yeah, dumb tweet.

No its not dumb mate, we "CAN" import from America, if its released on the 15th, we could get an express delivery prob by the 20th if we pay for it. So its valid

Maxim726X

Good to hear. Hope it sates the Gafs thirst for blood.

It shouldn't.

The fact that MS would even consider taking this out on the end user is beyond ridiculous... It was probably an automated response for consoles that log on before the launch date.

BUT STILL- It would be a retailer's fault and not the user. It's still bullshit.

Godslay

Banned
Gotta agree with this.

Tough pill to swallow, but the minute you connect to the network, you either fall into the parameters they lay out for you, or you will be denied access. Makes sense imo, that's what you get with any subscription service.

Darknight

Good, very good!

Im glad this will be fixed but its sad not everyone would get the same support from you unless their story went viral. Still a good thing you are doing.

It's messed up that his Xbox One got banned just for going online early. I hope Major Nelson fixes things like he says he will.

Anyways, why was the video taken down? How is it a violation of copyrights and stuff? I did not get a chance to watch it but I'm assuming it was a video of the console and dashboard.

Top Bottom