• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So there is a Nintendo Switch Joycon update separate from the system update

Twookie

I have a joycon that has the connection issue that I never got around to sending in. It may just be a random extended period of no issues, but honestly it seems like the update fixed it...

I can attest to this

Left joycon works much better now, although if sit too far back it will start to have connection issues if the switch isn't in direct vision while the right joy con works all the time.

I'm pretty happy with that

If there were patch notes, Nintendo would say something like:

- Increased pleasantness

So I dont miss them.
You literally "missed" it!
20171019_085039.jpg

I hope it fixes my weird left joycon charging issue. I have to dock my switch while its on in order for it to charge (then let it auto sleep). If I dock it while in sleep mode it doesn't charge.

Is the case replacement easy? Like just "unscrew-put board in other case-screw" easy?

I found it to be easy and I’ve never done anything like it before. I followed along with Jerry and finished it all within the day I got them.

https://youtu.be/L3TeP1G5lO0

You just have to be careful not to bend, break, or tear any of the cables. Joycons are useless if you mess any of those up.

WAIT WHAT!? WHERE HAVE I BEEN

How does this D-pad feel?

I haven’t tried those ones. Another poster above has a dpad mod, so they might be of better help!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is still a thing?

0_o

It's a design flaw of the joy cons. They have a weak bluetooth signal with a stupidly positioned antenna, it's very easy to obstruct the signal with body parts/furniture etc and if the console loses communication for a few seconds it desyncs.

Until they revise the hardware design it will always be an issue.

It's a design flaw of the joy cons. They have a weak bluetooth signal with a stupidly positioned antenna, it's very easy to obstruct the signal with body parts/furniture etc and if the console loses communication for a few seconds it desyncs.

Didn't they fix it by adding a piece of conductive foam though? I'm pretty sure if they hadn't fix the issue there would be a constant uproar about it, but almost nobody mentions it anymore. So I think it was fixed, or at least vastly improved from the launch units where it's no longer an issue for vast majority of users.

There are YouTube videos of people showing how to do the fix yourself and they report it being completely fixed afterward.

I can attest to this

Left joycon works much better now, although if sit too far back it will start to have connection issues if the switch isn't in direct vision while the right joy con works all the time.

I'm pretty happy with that
Man, I need to try this. I found out like 2 weeks ago that my left joycon was crappy (before Picross, all my coop was done on the go and at home I used the pro controller). If this doesn’t fix things, I guess I’ll have to send it in, though.

NimbusD

Literally where else can they put the antennae? A normal adult hand envelopes the whole joycon lol. Assuming you've never seen the thing taken apart.

It definitely needs a stronger signal tho, or if bluetooth just didn't cut it they should have tested it properly to know that. But antennae position is the least of the problems.

But didnt Nintendo fixed it?

Damn, I wouldnt have bought my Switch of I knew about this.

:(

boiled goose

good with gravy
Having a separate update menu for the controllers is so weird.

So it got a superior d-pad?
Nice shit post btw.

Lol relax

But didnt Nintendo fixed it?

Damn, I wouldnt have bought my Switch of I knew about this.

:(

To my understanding, it's a potential design flaw but only manifests itself from some specific manufacturing defects, which is why it affects some joycons and not others.

If you're unlucky, seems to be easily fixable if you send it to Nintendo. Most people including me have no issues. Haven't heard it be an issue in newer batches

you can connect the controller to your pc via bluetooth and mod it so the console thinks that your joycon is a different color. when doing this the light goes off

https://twitter.com/grizzlybara/status/915576353222561793

edit: lemme try to get a pic of the light going off, just a min

edit edit: https://twitter.com/grizzlybara/status/920836456217743361 there you go

I had no idea the home button could light up, seems like a weird thing to not have for the first year.

TheExodu5

Banned

I wonder if I got lucky. Launch unit here, and got an extra set of joycons. Tried yesterday standing 20ft from my switch with my joycons behind my back....no issues.

I'm not in an appartment building though, so the 2.4GHz band isn't terribly noisy.

RRockman

Banned

Why is this still being peddled around? It was a manufacturing issue that caused the connection error in the first place. The hardware design is the same for the newer cons and they don't have the issue.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

NeatoKuni

I had no idea the home button could light up, seems like a weird thing to not have for the first year.
no idea why it isn’t a thing, literally everything is there already, they just need to turn the function on.
i wonder if it can change colors at all, thatd be really neat. A different color for downloads, online friends, news, etc.

-shadow-

What kind of sorcery is this? I had no idea there was a light there.
For whatever reason Nintendo hasn't bothered updating the system to use it (yet). Well see if they'll eventually do so. Though, now that we have onscreen notifications, I don't really see the need for the LED anymore.

Top Bottom