• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So there's a HL3 reference in DOTA 2 UGC Tools

ekim

untitlediixeb.png

The file can be found here:
%STEAM_HOME%\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota_ugc\game\bin\win32\tools\model_editor.dll

Looks like a call to a physics test program is made here with the parameter "-game" to be "HL3" and "-open" to be something undefined, probably the name of the object to be tested.

The file was recently updated (February 3rd, 2015)

I'm usually searching through those files after every DOTA2 update since the Source2 implementation and I didn't notice that reference yet but there are chances that this string is in there since the beginning and is just some legacy stuff.

MayMay

Banned
There's a reference to EP3 or HL3 every once in a while, watch it get removed next patch.

I mean, it's not like it's a surprise that they're working on the game anyways.. lol

But yeah, it's nothing guys.

Savitar

This isn't the first time such a thing has popped up. A few years was a similar style thing happened.

Basically someone on the team is trolling folks that they know will comb through every bit of code to find something.

Radec

And these were found back in 2011 beta client of Dota 2:

/src/game/server/ep3/weapon_icegun.cpp /src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_concrete.cpp /src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_liquid.cpp /src/game/server/ep3/weaponizer_metal.cpp /src/game/server/ep3/weapon_flamethrower.cpp

3 years have passed and still nothing.
KuGsj.gif

We already knew this when they upped the engine to Source 2 when it got upgraded like 6 months ago right?

Or is this "new"?

[edit]
mmmm feb 3rd 2015 nice! that is new then I guess

ekim

We already knew this when they upped the engine to Source 2 when it got upgraded like 6 months ago right?

Or is this "new"?

This particular reference is new to me. Afaik there wasn't a single HL3 reference yet in the Source 2 stuff.

edit: the file itself came with an update in early December 2014.

When the workshop tools launched there were no HL3 (or L4D3) refs to be found, people searched for them

so yeah, this is new

but really

this doesn't mean a lot :p

All signs point to it being worked on. They're just playing it close to their chest until closer to release. This new generation of consoles, Source 2, and Valve pushing to evolve OpenGL only tell us that we're getting closer. I fully expect to see it in the next year or two, but probably not before L4D3.

Pikma

Banned
There's a reference to EP3 or HL3 every once in a while, watch it get removed next patch.

I mean, it's not like it's a surprise that they're working on the game anyways.. lol

But yeah, it's nothing guys.
Lol no, even if this reference was well thought it doesn't mean shit and yeah, it'd be a surprise to know they're actually working on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The G-Man is Half-Life 3.

MayMay

Banned
Lol no, even if this reference was well thought it doesn't mean shit and yeah, it'd be a surprise to know they're actually working on it.

iirc I said "it's nothing guys", so I don't know why you're acting like I'm somehow saying that it's a big deal. It's not. It's just old code that they didn't clean up, and people find a line like that once every while (and it usually gets removed immediately). It makes sense for those references to exist seeing as the Dota 2 Beta branch runs on Source 2.

And it's no surprise they're working on it at all, Valves Jira Database leaked twice - and we could clearly see who is working on what, including a clearly observable growth in the HL3 developement team.

Pikma

Banned
iirc I said "it's nothing guys", so I don't know why you're acting like I'm somehow saying that it's a big deal. It's not.

And it's no surprise they're working on it, Valves Jira Database leaked twice - and we could clearly see who is working on what.
Oh sure, I was mostly referring to that last part, that I don't believe they're working on it and won't believe it until I see actual facts proving otherwise.

I mean, of course the game existed, or exists, at some point, but there's no guarantee it's still worked on, far from it.

iirc I said "it's nothing guys", so I don't know why you're acting like I'm somehow saying that it's a big deal. It's not. It's just old code that they didn't clean up, and people find a line like that once every while (and it usually gets removed immediately). It makes sense for those references to exist seeing as the Dota 2 Beta branch runs on Source 2.

And it's no surprise they're working on it at all, Valves Jira Database leaked twice - and we could clearly see who is working on what, including a clearly observable growth in the HL3 developement team.

Tbf, that growth consisted of people who were also in the L4D3 team, which was bigger and had specific teams like Audio. Meanwhile HL3 had that 40something team and the core team. It totally doesn't indicate that it entered proper production.

MayMay

Banned
Oh sure, I was mostly referring to that last part, that I don't believe they're working on it and won't believe it until I see actual facts proving otherwise.

I mean, of course the game existed, or exists, at some point, but there's no guarantee it's still worked on, far from it.

The game was worked on by some people in September 2013, when we could take a peek into Valve's Jira database. Sure.. they could've canceleld it by now but I doubt it.

There were alot more people working on L4D3 though - so we'll see that game first.

Tbf, that growth consisted of people who were also in the L4D3 team, which was bigger and had specific teams like Audio. Meanwhile HL3 had that 40something team and the core team. It totally doesn't indicate that it entered proper production.

Yeah, that's true. It was probably not in full production back then (probably still isnt). But hey - it's something lol. They might enter full production once they finish up L4D3 - which should happen this year I hope.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think there are people who doubt something called Haflf-Life 3 exists. They just doubt if it will ever come out.

Think of it like The Last Guardian or Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Interfectum

I don't think there are people who doubt something called Haflf-Life 3 exists. They just doubt if it will ever come out.

I guess the question is... is Half Life 3 in development hell or development apathy?

I guess the question is... is Half Life 3 in development hell or development apathy?

Well, in an earlier thread he was theorizing they might want to morph it into something that fits their current vision and trends: GaaS, Destiny, L4D etc stuff and that's why the delay and non-talk

I said I'd rather have them not wanting to work on it than that

Neither should be appealing to HL fans, but what can we do lol

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Not even close...

Top Bottom