• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So these "Walking Simulators" on Steam...

Alphahawk

If you've been around on Steam for long enough, you realize that there is a certain brand of game called "Walking Simulator" These games include such titles as Proteus, The Graveyard and Ultraworld. Are any of these actually good? Followup question: Do you think this is an actual genre or is it just a flagrant abuse of Steam's tag feature.?

jediyoshi

These games include such titles as Proteus, The Graveyard and Ultraworld. Are any of these actually good? Followup question: Do you think this is an actual genre or is it just a flagrant abuse of Steam's tag feature.?

The fact that you've lumped those three games together would suggest not.

Ironically the first game I've seen that attached to was DayZ

FaintDeftone

I played Proteus on the Vita when it was a PS+ title. It seemed cool at first but after about 20min I had no desire to keep playing.

Watevaman

Dear Esther is a great one.

But to be honest, I would never pay full price for any of them. I don't appreciate the experience that much to justify it.

Reset

Nah, I don't consider it a genre. It's just stupid people who say that they aren't games, it's usually the same people that post saying games like Heavy Rain, Walking Dead, etc. aren't "real" games.

I didn't like Proteus, but then I loved Dear Esther...

Whatever man. They're cheap enough, so just try one of them out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dear Esther, the vanishing of ethan Carter, gone home - loved all of them. They feel a bit like visual novels in a way, but with more surface appearance of interaction (in reality you are still bound by the story though)

True Fire

Am I the only one who loves walking simulators? I don't actually play Grand Theft Auto or the Elder Scrolls. I just go adventuring for a few hundred hours until I have the map memorized.

These type of games are not my thing. I am not against them but I don't want to play them. It saves me some time and possibly a uninformed purchase when the game gets tagged like this.

I get it, they're not my games either really outside a few. but the term is typically used as a dismissal. Like "bullshit waifu JRPG"

you might get a sense about what that means but it doesn't mean the guy saying it isn't being a dick about it

But I like walking simulators. :(

It's usually used in the context of "not a real fucking game, just some hipster walking simulator"

which is a real shit attitude

Dear Esther is excellent and very poignent. I've played it three times through and every time I get something new out of it. Proteus is also pretty neat.

Platy

When they are good they are VERY good. Gone Home and Stanley Parable are AMAZING

But when they suck .... dear god I hate Dear Esther =P

Kinda sad that steam refunds will kinda kill the genre since most of those you can easily finish in less than 2 hours

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
When I think walking simulator, I think a VR gallery of different environments (in nature, otherworldly, etc.) to walk through. I'd buy that.

Nzyme32

Proteus and Stanley Parable are fucking awesome. So in that sense, I am certain there will always be a place for "walking simulators"

Kalor

"Walking Simulator" is normally used as a insult against games. Of course quite a few games that get this tag are good like Gone Home, Proteus, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and The Stanley Parable which all have really unique elements.

I don't think that it could be used as a genre title due to how it is often used to mock certain games.

Alphahawk

When they are good they are VERY good. Gone Home and Stanley Parable are AMAZING

But when they suck .... dear god I hate Dear Esther =P

Kinda sad that steam refunds will kinda kill the genre since most of those you can easily finish in less than 2 hours

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people will use Steam refunds responsibly. Sure there are a few bad apples, but I doubt that the vast majority of people are going to use it as a makeshift rental service.

Falk

that puzzling face
I thought this would be a QWOP thread.

I didn't think this would be a Skyrim thread but I was tempted to post about it.

p.s. Steam tags and by extension the automated game recommendation framework are a source of constant hilarity to be honest. Both intentional and unintentional.

really hate the name these have been given, because its mostly become a joke. A lot of these games I find to be really fucking good. I think they deserve a better name. what that is, idk too lazy to come up with a new one.

JC Lately

Proteus is cool as hell

People use the term walking simulator to be assholes

After games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, and the Stanley Parable, tagging something as a ‘walking simulator’ is more likely to increase my interest than lower it.

If assholes indeed came up with that term as pejorative, it kinda backfired hardcore.

Opiate

I get it, they're not my games either really outside a few. but the term is typically used as a dismissal. Like "bullshit waifu JRPG"

you might get a sense about what that means but it doesn't mean the guy saying it isn't being a dick about it

I can sympathize with this, but I'm not sure how to convey this information. The purpose is to inform the reader that the game is minimally interactive, with very little to do but walk around and let the story unfold.

I'm fine with coming up with a different label, but I feel almost all of them are going to seem disparaging.I feel like "minimal interactivity" would do, but maybe that's insulting too.

Sir TapTap

I'm conflicted, I more often than not really do appreciate these games though "walking simulator" is mostly used derogatorily.

If you've ever wanted to explore, really just explore, not fight, that's what they're for, love Proteus for that.

Dear Esther is excellent and very poignent. I've played it three times through and every time I get something new out of it. Proteus is also pretty neat.

Apparently the spoken "story" changes randomly so that might be why, I only played it once but that's what I heard.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I can sympathize with this, but I'm not sure how to convey this information. The purpose is to inform the reader that the game is minimally interactive, with very little to do but walk around and let the story unfold.

I'm fine with coming up with a different label, but I feel almost all of them are going to seem disparaging.I feel like "minimal interactivity" would do, but maybe that's insulting too.
Lets call them WASDs

MadSexual

I love how immersive these games can be. It's even better if they work in some puzzle elements (and it seems like most do).

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Most of them are super boring and essentially belly button gazing simulators as well.

It's a troll tag for a somewhat niche / emergent sub-genre

I guess it's a troll tag. I don't know what else to call it, and "walking simulator" has already stuck. May as well stick with it.

I like what I've played of this genre and don't personally consider the name derogatory. If someone has a more appropriate name, I'll gladly use it though.

idlewild_

I'm disappointed this isn't the top tag for Octodad.

OT, Gone Home was pretty good and Dear Esther was...not terrible.

Zomba13

Proteus is weird and interesting and looks really unique.

Dear Esther is boring but pretty and the story is partially randomised which makes it hard to actually interpret what exactly is going on as what you are told might be different to what your friend is told for no reason other than to make the story seem deep and ambiguous.

The Stanley Parable is hilarious and very clever with a lot of replayability.

Gone Home is something I haven't played but I remember losing interest when the devs said something like "there is no ghost" because it seemed like a creepy kind of game but there is nothing to it. The story is supposed to be good though but I've not played it.

Opiate

I guess it's a troll tag. I don't know what else to call it, and "walking simulator" has already stuck. May as well stick with it.

I like what I've played of this genre and don't personally consider the name derogatory. If someone has a more appropriate name, I'll gladly use it though.

As someone who doesn't like these games (but has no interest in belittling those who do), I feel the same.

I have no problem avoiding this term if people find it insulting, but I need to know what else to call them instead.

Lets call them WASDs

I like it!

ryseing

Proteus is great.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture looks like it's shaping up well.

It's not a genre I want to play consistently but it's a nice change of pace.

Top Bottom