• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
9TYrr9q.jpg

Bravery, courage, simplicity: Nintendo

Okay this is amazing.

The only was this abortion of a set up can be averted is Bluetooth, a headset with either one or two blue tooth connections, one for phone, one for Switch, something has to give. Or at LEAST give us a headset with bluetooth to a phone and all we have to do is plug in the game audio, thats at least bearable. Holy fuck Nintendo, how can you make the most innovative console in a generation and then create something so elegant while boasting about the being mobile fact.

"Hey guize got my headset all set up, lets rock!"

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Buggy Loop

Funny but why play with game sound in the headphones in that scenario?

I play with headphones at home so often, to not bother my girlfriend with so many fucking annoying repeating game sounds (which makes sense when you play, but for outside peoples, is freaking annoying).

That's the scenario.

Blunoise

Go show me how a company could make something exactly like the switch for less money then. Go on. I'll wait.

I like how this thread has evolved from a "what a shit peripheral" (which is completely true, this is a really awful, inelegant system), to a "what a shit voice chat system" (which we still don't really know anything about, all we have is speculation) thread. Now, finally, it is entering it's final, beautiful form: a "let's shit on the Switch / Nintendo in general" thread.

Exactly lol . Those ppl were waiting to hear news like this to say Nintendo lost haha

this is beyond stupid. what the fuck.

The switch is their fastest selling console ?

The only good thing about the switch is Zelda and the portability aspect, but other wise the device is riddled with problems and lacks so many features.Its also pretty overpriced.

No, not really. but I'd have loved to hear why you thought that, if it weren't so predictable.

I doubt this had anything to do with nintendo being apprehensive about voice chat. It has everything to do with monetizing every aspect of the switch.

molnizzle

I play with headphones at home so often, to not bother my girlfriend with so many fucking annoying repeating game sounds (which makes sense when you play, but for outside peoples, is freaking annoying).

That's the scenario.

Also so your teammates don't have to hear the echo from your TV noises going through your mic into their ears because you're an asshole.

He's talking about the Switch. If you currently use wired headsets with the Switch, this is the same scenario.

Okay? this is still so backwards and ridiculous (hilarious)

I thought the entire point of having the "phone app" was so that you don't have to plug your headset directly into the Switch

Hey, how does this work with iPhones that don't have minijack-in anymore? Separate cords?

oh my god i didn't think of this either.

We're in Dongle fucking City, now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stop rationalizing nonsense.

Nintendo consistently makes baffling decisions in third-party relations and online, which are exactly their weak spots for decades.

And consistently people will peddle spin, rationalizations, and a dozen theories on just whyyyyy they did it this way.

This has been the pattern, again, for decades. There is no rationalization. It's incompetence and lack of experience.

Exactly. Occam's razor

Hey, how does this work with iPhones that don't have minijack-in anymore? Separate cords?
need two splitters. :)
:/

Yikes

Deep in my heart I hope they fix this, either before or after launch

But they won't... and that sucks :(

I guess our best chance of a change is the press really grilling Nintendo on this

Admodieus

Exactly lol . Those ppl were waiting to hear news like this to say Nintendo lost haha

I love my Switch. It doesn't change the fact that every decision they have made regarding online play or anything related to online play (voice chat) for the last decade has been shortsighted, idiotic, or needlessly complicated.

XandBosch

I doubt this had anything to do with nintendo being apprehensive about voice chat. It has everything to do with monetizing every aspect of the switch.

I'd say it has more to do with Nintendo caring way more about local play and not giving a shit about online play (when they really should).

I respect their devotion to local multiplayer, but it shouldn't be at the cost of online in 2017.

Vena

Okay? this is still so backwards and ridiculous (hilarious)

I thought the entire point of having the "phone app" was so that you don't have to plug your headset directly into the Switch

Just explaining what he meant as several of you misunderstood his statement. That is all.

pringles

Are you new to competitive online gaming or something?
No but it's the switch.

he is not playing with sound on the headphones on that image, you can see the sound lines on the tv
So why the wire to the switch?

That's the scenario.
Fair enough, some scenarios really are going to suck.

I love my Switch. It doesn't change the fact that every decision they have made regarding online play or anything related to online play (voice chat) for the last decade has been shortsighted, idiotic, or needlessly complicated.

Thank you!

Im in the same boat

Love the system

Absolutely hate how they are handling voice chat

Abhorrent... the whole setup should be shouted down

VeeP

Apparently people think this is an earnest solution to protect children from voice chat rather than having that feature be disabled in the parental controls like everything else. Also "haha sales" and also "what games do you even use VC for on nintendo systems" are the general answers to the why I am seeing.

Both arguments are idiotic.

Want to protect children? Add parental options like Microsoft did on Xbox, I'm pretty sure they've had that feature for multiple generations.

I'm literally looking at the pictures and just thinking this setup is sad as hell. I have no idea how Nintendo even thinks this is a good solution, and I'm surprised that fans of Nintendo will even defend this. It's like Sony fans defending the lack of EA access on their service, or Microsoft fans defending the closure of first party studios.

Console makers fuck up. But you gotta speak up so they can correct it, or at least correct it for future consoles.

Jubenhimer

Ehh, this is a Hori accessory, so it's not something Nintendo has in mind. I'll wait until Nintendo shows how this app is actually supposed to be used because we still haven't seen what it's supposed to do yet. Remember, this isn't Nintendo's solution to Voice chat, this is Hori's.

Cartho

A better way to do this peripheral system in my opinion would have been to have the connection between the headset itself and the mixer unit thing be wireless. That way you could at least just connect your switch to the phone and the phone the the mixer and leave them together on your console while playing in docked mode while still being able to sit a decent distance away on the sofa without wires trailing all over you. It's the fact that there's going to be wires running all over the room with this system which I don't like.

It's such a bizarre system that I feel there must be something we're missing here, a more simple way of doing voice chat, some kind of simple ear bud which just hooks into your phone at least if you don't want a full headset on. I cannot believe that this is the only way it can possibly work. If that is the case then... Well that's staggering. Will need to wait till next week to find out for sure though.

Seik

Banned
ah, so that's why Nintendo console warriors blindly defend the boneheaded, utterly incompetent decisions the company has been making for decades now.

FTFY.

Guys, fucking stop with the Nintendo Fans thing. :lol

There is plenty of Switch owners here that think this is the dumbest decision.

Blunoise

ah, so that's why Nintendo fans blindly defend the boneheaded, utterly incompetent decisions the company has been making for decades now.
I never said this was smart. This is the dumbest shit for voice chat, I mean no Bluetooth head set compatible. Even still that does not make the console suck or doom, as what other ppl are progressing to say. Hell we got e3 in 2 weeks to start a riot if so. Either way this does not make my purchase of a Switch bad, I will still be enjoying it when games comes out

But replies like that only singinifies what I just said, nothing I said had anything to do with fanboyish, it was stated that ppl overreact to the upmost when it comes to Nintendo

Vena

A better way to do this peripheral system in my opinion would have been to have the connection between the headset itself and the mixer unit thing be wireless. That way you could at least just connect your switch to the phone and the phone the the mixer and leave them together on your console while playing in docked mode while still being able to sit a decent distance away on the sofa without wires trailing all over you. It's the fact that there's going to be wires running all over the room with this system which I don't like.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a mixer of this sort, and I suspect third parties will sell it. Its a pretty straightforward two-channel sound pass over a wireless channel.

ah, so that's why Nintendo fans blindly defend the boneheaded, utterly incompetent decisions the company has been making for decades now.

Grow up. Learn the difference between fans and blockheaded console warriors, and why its bad to generalize.

XandBosch

Are people defending this design somehow?

No, no one is defending the design. Other people have just turned this into a "lol Nintendo is shit" thread so people are defending Nintendo in general, especially since the Switch is pretty damn awesome..until this.

Lets be clear. Nintendo fans myself included are not happy with this, and I have seen a small minority of people defending this shit. Stop making this into a nintendo fanboys are idiots dialogue, I've been tweeting NOA on twitter all morning and send a email, asking just what the fuck they are thinking. People need to reach out to Nintendo and tell them they need a better solution, open up the blue tooth, its more important then an 8th controller connected to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom