• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelas

The funny thing is that this still will be the best Voice Chat setup a Nintendo console ever had...lol. Then again most people use Discord Server nowadays.

Making up facts to justify dismissing the situation??

Clearly Nintendo messed up when the defense strategy in this topic boils down to "this doesn't matter." I really don't understand this attitude.

jviggy43

Both arguments are idiotic.

Want to protect children? Add parental options like Microsoft did on Xbox, I'm pretty sure they've had that feature for multiple generations.

I'm literally looking at the pictures and just thinking this setup is sad as hell. I have no idea how Nintendo even thinks this is a good solution, and I'm surprised that fans of Nintendo will even defend this. It's like Sony fans defending the lack of EA access on their service, or Microsoft fans defending the closure of first party studios.

Console makers fuck up. But you gotta speak up so they can correct it, or at least correct it for future consoles.

Oh I 100% agree with you. But those so far have been the go to from people thinking that this method is at all justified. Its lunacy.

Mael

I've asked at least twice for people to show me posts that are actually defending this dongle or the voice chat app being the only way to have voice chat, and I haven't seen a single example.

People trying to come up with explanations or reasons why Nintendo did this are NOT defending the decision.

Yeah, I'm not defending this shit.
They're on their own for this kind of stupid shit.
I understand where they come from and why they would do this, it's still shite and I won't put up with this.

Instro

No, no one is defending the design. Other people have just turned this into a "lol Nintendo is shit" thread so people are defending Nintendo in general, especially since the Switch is pretty damn awesome..until this.

I think this is really disingenuous. There are many issues with the Switch that have been identified both pre and post launch that have not been addressed, or will not be able to be addressed due to design flaws. A lot of this has been buried lately due to the success of the console, but the online situation being a cluster fuck was identified when this thing was officially announced. It's hardly a new thing.

ViolentP

I love how ppl think this is Nintendo fans defending something, when everyone hear is clearly saying that this is stupid shit, but that doesn't mean this has to effect the whole company or the system for its value.

Ppl calling other ppl Nintendo fan defenders is just an easy cop-out to end the argument

I've seen justification for the design in this thread. Never did I mention Nintendo or their fans.

Copenap

I love how ppl think this is Nintendo fans defending something, when everyone hear is clearly saying that this is stupid shit, but that doesn't mean this has to effect the whole company or the system for its value.

Ppl calling other ppl Nintendo fan defenders is just an easy cop-out to end the argument
You clearly didn't read the thread.

Not

Banned
Using Discord as a solution sucks. To me, that's even more complicated than attaching a phone to your headset, to have to get everyone you want to play with right then to get an account and join the server.

jviggy43

So, you can't? He's trying to come up with the reasoning, and he does a very poor job of it in my opinion, but that's not defending this. At all.

No. Nobody is actually defending this.

You seem to be confusing defending with suggesting its a good idea. Theyre not the same thing. He very clearly was defending Nintendo's decision here. He didn't need to suggest it was a good decision to put up a soft defense of it.

Nice. You should make a handheld and table top mode one too :p

what is the square above the phone?

they have had voice chat before as separate apps and specific in game solutions.
Now they still have it as an app.

It's such a bad solution for the "protection" reason that whether or not that is what they are thinking it is still stupid.
Same with using game specific friend codes in DS. It was always a bad implementation regardless of objective.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. I think it's totally stupid. Absurd.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Genuine question, and I know it's a fairly unusual circumstance these days, but: what is the workaround if people don't have a mobile device? Get one?

Also, does this take into consideration Apple and Samsung's recent trend away from 3.5mm jacks?

Flintty

This isn't worse than I ever expected. I'll be passing on this and Switch online play completely. So disappointing.

I love my Switch but no.

aBarreras

I think this is really disingenuous. There are many issues with the Switch that have been identified both pre and post launch that have not been addressed, or will not be able to be addressed due to design flaws. A lot of this has been buried lately due to the success of the console, but the online situation being a cluster fuck was identified when this thing was officially announced. It's hardly a new thing.

so the switch is not pretty awesome, gotcha

ghibli99

On one hand, I had to laugh at how insane this is.

On the other hand, this might weed out all the idiots/trolls from using voice chat to begin with, as dumb as the implementation is...

C'mon Nintendo... why do something like this to stop your momentum?

Genuine question, and I know it's a fairly unusual circumstance these days, but: what is the workaround if people don't have a mobile device? Get one?

Also, does this take into consideration Apple and Samsung's recent trend away from 3.5mm jacks?
The only workaround is discord or Skype

ViolentP

On one hand, I had to laugh at how insane this is.

On the other hand, this might weed out all the idiots/trolls from using voice chat to begin with, as dumb as the implementation is...

C'mon Nintendo... why do something like this to stop your momentum?

Wouldn't the idiots be the first ones to jump in on this?

So they reeeeallly want to use cell phones to manage this kind of thing. I guess the problem occurs when you want to use handheld mode, because how do you combine those two things?

Dumb. I'm sure it won't ruin my life, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the app offers and how they could possibly justify this

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Like this?

9TYrr9q.jpg

Bravery, courage, simplicity: Nintendo

OMFG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

trixx

The console has native Bluetooth, implement a headphone jack into the pro controller for those without wireless headset

And allow for Bluetooth compatibility. This is just as bad if not worse than Wii u and will not support paying for online with features that are so archaic

Didn't Nvidia develop the is?

What fresh hell is this. It looks bad for portable mode but even worse for me since I don't undock my Switch

I have to believe there will be a better solution

Jubenhimer

Remember people, this isn't actually what Nintendo is proposing, this is what Hori is proposing. Yeah it looks stupid as shit, but we have yet to actually see Nintendo side of the story. I'm still going to wait and see what the features of the app actually entail.

You seem to be confusing defending with suggesting its a good idea. Theyre not the same thing. He very clearly was defending Nintendo's decision here. He didn't need to suggest it was a good decision to put up a soft defense of it.

He's telling us to blame assholes for this, not Nintendo. That doesn't mean he's defending this voice chap app, he's literally saying it's a bad thing.

I guess I'm using a different definition of defend then you guys are.

EDIT: I guess I see where you're coming from, it's the distinction between defending the app itself and defending Nintendo's decision making here (both of which I think are asinine btw).

I'm starting to think Nintendo is just trolling us. I mean none of this makes sense, they could release a usb adapter that plugs into the switch and that would be better than this.

Remember people, this isn't actually what Nintendo is proposing, this is what Hori is proposing. Yeah it looks stupid as shit, but we have yet to actually see Nintendo side of the story. I'm still going to wait and see what the features of the app actually entail.

Nintendo has said time and time again that voice chat would work via an App. This would solve the issue of mixing game and chat audio.

JMY86

Could this really be so needlessly complicated because Nintendo is deathly afraid of voice chat? This is all so crazy.

I don't know if that is the only reason but I'm guessing it is the main reason. Nintendo has run away screaming from pretty much anything online related for a decade now. This is simply another in a endless series of idiotic head scratching decisions by Nintendo. My Switch has been collecting dust for a couple months but I'm glad the Switch is selling well and that so many people enjoy their Switch and I really hope Nintendo comes out and addresses this at E3 or sooner.

Nintendo needs to fire whoever is in charge of online experiences. Or hire someone. I can't even tell which level of incompetence this is anymore.

Making up facts to justify dismissing the situation??

Clearly Nintendo messed up when the defense strategy in this topic boils down to "this doesn't matter." I really don't understand this attitude.

It doesn't matter when it serves to defend their purchase, if Sony or MS were to pull this the internet would cook them for breakfast.

aBarreras

I was referring to the idea that this is the only problem with the system, and that it is only coming up now, but ok.

still doesnt make sense, because the console has been a success despite those flaws you say it has, so in grand scheme of things, those "flaws" arent as bad as you think they are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom