• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice... (READ MOD POST)

Atheerios

k4LMP9P.png

Remember all the talk by Reggie of avoiding "clunky gamer headsets" on Switch? Well, this is just ridiculous.

Was just posted on Twitter by Hori: https://twitter.com/HORI__OFFICIAL/status/870203353707429888

We will need to plug the headset both to the phone and the console to be able to listen to other people and the game and the same time.

Seriously, what is Nintendo thinking?

More images:
DBOZDkhWsAAv7_t.jpg

DBOZE-7XcAAjA3Y.jpg

DBOZGHVW0AADzoZ.jpg

DBOVaVFUwAAXvyb.jpg

d6a0t9J.jpg

The controller's cables are only 0.5 m long.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is a third party product...I'd wait for some official word from Nintendo before people have full-on panic attacks over this thing.

ViolentP

As technology has become more convenient and conducive to the way we live our lives, I asked myself, "You know what all this convenience needs? A bunch of wires."

Effect

As said before this appears to be more of an option for the Switch in portable mode. This does not indicate how things will look in docked mode. Unless you site right next to it then hey you could replicate this if you wanted. If anything this is how the average setup might look I think. Put the switch in the dock with this image and it's what we already knew.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238802484&postcount=1424

Ultimately the most important take away is that people wanted party chat. This is what Nintendo is ultimately giving people. Not in the manner expected or wanted. If one doesn't really want to use the app to voice chat like this people can continue to use discord, etc like many already do. Many times in place of what is offered on the PS4 and XBO as well. This isn't a defense of Nintendo's decision here. Just looking at it without losing my mind because I honestly can't not bring myself to be more emotional then I am at this moment at this. It is what it is.

Maybe with a new thread people won't act so over the top.

8bit

Knows the Score
This seems kind of inelegant and maybe a bit of a gimmicky kludge to get a squid in there. Maybe Nintendo have something less terrible to officially announce?

zelas

Gonna need a bigger carrying case with all of the accessories and batteries needed just to have a normal experience.

Bousf

Alarming levels of convoluted for 2017. I wonder what made this work the way it does instead of the way it should, legit curious.....

Geg

This is a third party product...I'd wait for some official word from Nintendo before people have full-on panic attacks over this thing.

Well the product itself seems to be done with Nintendo's stamp of approval, since the official Splatoon 2 twitter made a post about it.

As said before this appears to be an option for the Switch in portable mode. This does not indicate how things will look in docked mode.

Ultimate the most important take away is that people wanted party chat. This is what Nintendo is ultimately giving people. Not in the manner expected or wanted. If one doesn't really want to use voice chat like this people can continue to use discord, etc like many already do. Many times in place of what is offered on the PS4 and XBO as well.

Yeah, no. The vast, VAST majority of gamers use the built-in voice chat options on their consoles. If this is how Nintendo expects gamers to do voice chat, the feature is going to be dead on arrival.

jonno394

It's a completely ridiculous way of doing things. If everything were wireless id think it would be much less of an issue :/

End of the day its loads of wires if playing in handheld mode but i assume you'll only need to plug in to phone if you're playing on tv with the volume up?

I wouldn't find myself in a situation where I would need this adapter, but I agree that it's not very elegant... Just about as appealing as using an adapter to charge my iPhone while using headphones at the same time!

I feel sorry for anyone that wanted to play Splatoon 2 like this.

moeman

Regardless of how the whole voice system plays out, these headphones look very stylish. I'd love to buy a pair to just use.

Hell, I'd take a splatoon line of clothing too...

EDarkness

As I said in the other thread, I don't use voice chat and don't listen to folks who use it, either. Doesn't matter to me how they do it at all since it's a feature I won't use. Luckily, this is a software thing and they can fix it if there's enough "outrage" about it. I guess we'll see once we have the whole situation directly from Nintendo.

Griss

As someone who has not used voice chat on a console in over a decade, I have no stake in this at all. This won't affect me, and I plan on purchasing a Switch regardless.

But why on earth would they make it so that it uses your phone? What's the difference between that and just not bothering, just letting people use a 3rd party app instead? Why make you have to juggle two devices? It seems so woefully inconvenient.

It can't be 'for the kids' as all the dangers are still present on this app, which is Nintendo-branded and other companies do social features / chat like this without issue. It can't be because the Switch is essentially a handheld as the Vita did this back in 2011, right?

So... what's the reasoning here?

Silurus

Just a 3rd party accessory. No need to panic.

Voice chat through phone. Game through TV or sound system.

The Lamp

Does Nintendo hire consultants or anyone else from industry for their R&D? Are they just stupid enough to seriously think this concept of using a phone + headset makes sense for people in 2017?

It's like the design decision to have the unit charge exclusively from the bottom

geordiemp

Do you think Nintendo make headphones or do they get suppliers to do it ?

Do you think these headphones are pure 3rd party or do they look as if it has some Nintendo partnership on it ? Clues could be logos, mascots, artwork.....

MADGAME

So this is Nintendo's definition of an elegant solution. Can't expect me to take anything you say to be credible anymore, Reggie. You should be embarrassed.

Shiggy

This is an Official Nintendo Licensed Product and it's promoted by Nintendo. If there wasn't a need for such a solution (e.g. because in-game audio is streamed via the app), Nintendo wouldn't need to promote/license it.

seal_new.png

MazeHaze

Banned
Yeah, no. The vast, VAST majority of gamers use the built-in voice chat options on their consoles. If this is how Nintendo expects gamers to do voice chat, the feature is going to be dead on arrival.
Yep. I use voice chat on PC and PS4 and have never used a third party app.

So it's already more inconvenient and convoluted than anything else, AND they want us to pay for it?

Nintendo can fuck right off.

Somnid

I kinda want the squid connector, at least it's (artistically) well designed. The rest of it, I'm not sure how it's supposed to be used in practice but it seems like it's only for portable mode, perhaps they expected the TV speakers to deal with the rest? Feels very incomplete, I dunno why bluetooth couldn't solve all of this, maybe someday it will.

Top Bottom