• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this time, next gen … feels a little weird.

Nickolaidas

In previous console cycles, the next console would be announced, with gameplay videos to show off and reps/devs talking about their capabilities.

This gen ... took a weird alternate route.

We have games announced for platforms we have yet to see how they look like or what their specs are.

We had tweets giving us info and numerous tidbits about said consoles, but no videos or concrete info to show us how different they work or perform.

We had unveils of next gen consoles in terms of look, but have no idea how many games are coming in day one and other crucial info about their specs.

In the past, we would get, say, the PS4 reveal, gameplay trailers and info on what they do. There was a clear line we would cross on a particular day - before the PS4 reveal, we knew next to shit. After the reveal, we knew almost everything. It felt like a day where a new machine was born and everything would be different. The reveal mattered, it felt crucial, it was a great gaming day.

Now, I don't get that feeling. I already know PS5 will use SSD, ray-tracing, will have backwards compatibility, have seen a game running on PS5, know about instant load-times (of course I still don't know what games are released day one, how it looks, how many damn TFs it's going to have and so on). And that happened over the course of many weeks. Instead of having a solid reveal which would blow my socks off, I got little drops of info every now and then, and the reveal isn't going to look as amazing as it would in the PS4's case, because I am already prepared in knowing what the machine can do and how it will be different than the PS4.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that, despite the PS5 being a gigantic leap over the PS4, I think the reveal won't be nearly as climatic as it was with the PS4.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Ar¢tos

In previous console cycles, the next console would be announced, with gameplay videos to show off and reps/devs talking about their capabilities.

This gen ... took a weird alternate route.

We have games announced for platforms we have yet to see how they look like or what their specs are.

We had tweets giving us info and numerous tidbits about said consoles, but no videos or concrete info to show us how different they work or perform.

We had unveils of next gen consoles in terms of look, but have no idea how many games are coming in day one and other crucial info about their specs.

In the past, we would get, say, the PS4 reveal, gameplay trailers and info on what they do. There was a clear line we would cross on a particular day - before the PS4 reveal, we knew next to shit. After the reveal, we knew almost everything. It felt like a day where a new machine was born and everything would be different. The reveal mattered, it felt crucial, it was a great gaming day.

Now, I don't get that feeling. I already know PS5 will use SSD, ray-tracing, will have backwards compatibility, have seen a game running on PS5, know about instant load-times (of course I still don't know what games are released day one, how it looks, how many damn TFs it's going to have and so on). And that happened over the course of many weeks. Instead of having a solid reveal which would blow my socks off, I got little drops of info every now and then, and the reveal isn't going to look as amazing as it would in the PS4's case, because I am already prepared in knowing what the machine can do and how it will be different than the PS4.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that, despite the PS5 being a gigantic leap over the PS4, I think the reveal won't be nearly as climatic as it was with the PS4.

Anyone else feeling the same?
If the reveal shows proper nextgen 1st party games, it can be as exciting as the ps4 reveal.
If they are going to stick to AA 3rd party games, then it will be underwhelming.
We need to wait for one of the main 1st party studios to show a ps5 game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think we're seeing similar tech involved, but running on better hardware. Great graphics are already here in a lot of ways. You have so many AAA game(s) still coming out on the current platform. To me, there's only so much they can focus on. We still have a year until things change and even then will everyone wait it out for a upgraded Remaster? If that's even a thing.

Backwards compatibility and not having to re-buy everything at launch. This current gen created a new foundation that will be amplified (built upon) instead of crossed out and made obsolete. I think its wise that we don't over do it. How many consoles shipped since launch? Xbox is focusing on the Xbox Family. They know people can handle their current hardware. I think its wise to focus on that. I'm playing RE3, Cyberpunk, etc on current gen. I'm not exactly wanting to buy the game again or wait forever to play it. I think overdoing it or focusing on what you can't play until you upgrade is not a good way to start the next gen. In fact, this current gen looks great in 2020. Some could say you're better off owning a current gen console then just waiting a year+ for more.

I of course can't wait to get the next set of consoles, but I realize there's awesome games in early 2020 that I want to buy. Godfall just feels like a pieced together fantasy game, but I know nothing about it.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Well, let's be real. It's not that next-gen in general took a weird route. Microsoft took a weird route. They have now revealed/announced their next-gen console twice and we don't even have the specs. We have a 3rd reveal coming...

It looks so far like Sony is only going to announce it once and theoretically would show features and games during the reveal. And that's the exact formula from before.

Last edited:
All reveals will be subpar until we move into a full on VR-type console market. RT this comment in 10-20 years. Sofa + TV based gaming hit its peak years ago, we need more immersive types of games and we are limited by just staring at the TV.

I love my Xbox, but PSVR, Oculus, Vive, and all these VR headsets is the direction the market needs to move. They need to be perfected, and one day hopefully put us "INSIDE" the actual game. Resolution and FPS can only get so pretty sitting and staring at a screen. Being able to actually be inside a game is what's gonna kick off the next revolution of gaming awesomeness.

Edit: I already know there are plenty of folk who are anti-vr. I used to be one, a lowly regular monitor gaming peasant. But VR is the future, its just not at the level of mainstream adoption....yet.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
What really is different is that MS have pretty much confirmed by putting it in the name that their next console will be one in a series. Last gen we got a mid gen refresh out of nowhere but when will the next, more powerful in the series launch?; 1 year? 2 years?

There was always this non-gamer 90's joke on TV when I was a kid that consoles released monthly and it was so wrong I was baffled how anyone could make that mistake but it seems like we're moving towards that now.

sublimit

Banned
I feel like this is becoming a game of cat and mouse in terms of marketing with each company waiting to see what the competition's moves will be.

magnumpy

give it some time... there was only some vague details about the next Xbox shown (how much ram will it have?) nothing shown about PS5 so far at all, only assumptions... D:

HE1NZ

Banned
Microsoft is moving forward with Xbox as a service, not a console platform. The console is now merely what Gaben wanted to do with Steam machines. A device designed for PC gaming in the living room. For people who don't want to bother with building an actual PC and making it work on the TV. Also, Microsoft giving everyone almost free Xbox Game Pass subscriptions is a great plan. It will drive people to pick new console just to redeem the value they recieved with subscription.
Sony will go the old way of overhyped console with exclusives and teraflops. But it won't necessarily work as well this time.

Life

@OP that feeling is most likely a factor of two things: your age, and the lack of real "jump" with each new generation.

Leonidas

Last time none of the companies said anything official about the current gen till 2013, the same year they launched.

This time it's been a series of small announcements from both MS and Sony.

MS announcing next-gen last year at E3 2018
Sony announcing paper specs to the Verge back in February was it?
MS announcing Scarlett at E3 2019 (the name of which already leaked)
Sony announcing that the next PlayStation will be called PS5, a few months ago if I recall
MS naming Scarlett and showing the box yesterday at the VGAs
It's Sony's turn to reveal something it seems...

Last edited:
All reveals will be subpar until we move into a full on VR-type console market. RT this comment in 10-20 years. Sofa + TV based gaming hit its peak years ago, we need more immersive types of games and we are limited by just staring at the TV.

I love my Xbox, but PSVR, Oculus, Vive, and all these VR headsets is the direction the market needs to move. They need to be perfected, and one day hopefully put us "INSIDE" the actual game. Resolution and FPS can only get so pretty sitting and staring at a screen. Being able to actually be inside a game is what's gonna kick off the next revolution of gaming awesomeness.

Edit: I already know there are plenty of folk who are anti-vr. I used to be one, a lowly regular monitor gaming peasant. But VR is the future, its just not at the level of mainstream adoption....yet.
Fuckin A.

Last edited:
You're just getting aware of the lack of ambition in gaming and how these new consoles won't bring any changes (yay, raytracing 🙄).

We'll get the 3-4 standout titles (New Elder Scrolls, GTA6, nextgen AssCreed, etc), but the rest will be games that could have been as well One/PS4-titles.

Part of why I like Nintendo's deemphasize of graphics. But in sheer quantity, they also will only be able to create so many standout titles (BotW, BotW2, Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade DE, new Monolith Soft-ip).

Gaming has become a game of waiting for those of us who don't play every shit just to waste time. The way nextgen unfolds is only reflective of that.

@OP that feeling is most likely a factor of two things: your age, and the lack of real "jump" with each new generation.

The lack of real jump is real. PS5 games will look much better than PS4 games, but we're near that threshold where you have to be an extra turbo nerd to notice how big of a difference it is.

Top Bottom