• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Thundercats is comming back...

Fbh

Did you like the original show? Did you enjoy the short lived reboot from 2011?

Well get ready for:

thundercats-roar-slice-600x200.jpeg

Looks like it's getting the Teen Titans Go treatment

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yeah no thanks. I love the original im not touching this garbage. I get the feeling she-ra is going to be ass too.

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

At this point I feel like they're farming bad reactions to old properties as an extension of marketing via social media at the very beginning of the creative process.

Old fans: "I don't like this". Legions of Steven Universe fans from Tumblr: "You can't accept change. The old one is still there. No one is taking your cartoons away!". #1 trending topic on Twitter. Someone says something racist. We got blogs talking about it now. It's no longer a cartoon but a battleground! What does the president have to say about Stupid-Looking Thundercats!?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

120v

let's get real how else would thundercats be a viable IP in 2018

you have the go around with streaming but there you have a niche passion project that'll last for 15 episodes or so

Fbh

some things are fine with that kinda art style.

Thundercats is NOT one of such thing.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with the art style itself if you are going to make some new comedy IP
But freaking Thunder Cats?!?

I'm just thankful Avatar is owned by Nick. It would hurt to see a new Avatar show getting announced and see it end up turning out like this

let's get real how else would thundercats be a viable IP in 2018

you have the go around with streaming but there you have a niche passion project that'll last for 15 episodes or so

I guess you are right. Though I would have preferred to get that 15 episodes passion project. And you never know, it might do decently enough to be like Voltron on Netflix (which is probably my favourite cartoon since The Last Airbender), which isn't a massive success but does well enough to still continue after several seasons.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Art style is instantly off putting and doesn't seem to suit the franchise. Unless this is going for more of a comedy vibe?

Shifty

Oh come on. I enjoyed Steven Universe, but seeing more and more shows start to ape the same art style is just rubbish. Particularly when rebooting a franchise whose original aesthetic was diametrically opposed to whatever this is.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, no, I'm good. This looks like hot garbage. If they really want to do ThunderCats they can start by finishing the 2011 show. At least that showed some sort of effort and was true to the source material.

Acerac

Banned
Ooh, another monkey's paw wish well used.

Reality is so good at making me wish I'd not wished for things sometimes.

Doom85

Oh come on. I enjoyed Steven Universe, but seeing more and more shows start to ape the same art style is just rubbish. Particularly when rebooting a franchise whose original aesthetic was diametrically opposed to whatever this is.

Agreed, although this also seems to copy Teen Titans Go's type of reboot and I feel this is only being made because, "well, Teen Titans GO was a massive success with the kids, let's just grab random cartoons and see if that formula works there as well!" And for the record, I don't think Teen Titans GO is terrible, just weak, but it's the facts that A) Cartoon Network has it consume a MASSIVE percentage of their schedule, and B) the fact that its success has led to other similar reboots like the new Powerpuff Girls (which to me is far more disrespectful to the original series than TTG is) and now this new Thundercats that have me think that TTG's existence is more trouble than its worth.

Man, is the only new good reboot (not sequel, so not counting Samurai Jack's return or Korra) of a cartoon series/franchise of recent years Ducktales? Which I haven't watched yet but I've heard only good things. It's such a shame, the 2010's were starting off strong with new entries for franchises like the 2011 Thundercats, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, and DC and Marvel with Young Justice, Green Lantern, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. And don't get me wrong, plenty of great original cartoons still get made but it seems most franchise-based cartoons are in a bad spot recently.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I bet todays animators look at this and think: "How did they do this? Black magic."

The same answer as today,"They got it done in Japan". The Thundercats intro was animated by the same people that did Nausica and the Valley of the Wind.

Last edited:

Doom85

I know this is old people talk. But cartoons were way better when i was a kid in the 80s.

I don't personally agree especially with the first half of the 80's. Cartoons were driven far too heavily on merchandise in that time, Transformers G1 is a prime (pun intended) example of this. The first three episodes which serve as the pilot hurl dozens and dozens of characters on both sides at you which is insane, it's like if the first Star Wars movie gave every random Rebel trooper and stormtrooper a name and unique look and expected you to care enough to buy all their toys. Beast Wars and the following shows Transformers Animated and Prime introduced only 5-6 characters per side in their pilot and only slowly introduced new characters as their series progressed, actually allowing the viewer to care about them instead of just an obvious, "hey, here's so-and-so! Buy their toy!" factor being used. And ironically, while not a great show, Transformers G1 is at least watchable, I remember rewatching the original He-Man years ago (someone had brought a few DVDs to our break room) and wow, so cringe-worthy.

Now, the second half of the 80's did offer improvement particularly with the Disney Afternoon rolling in with Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, etc. But it was really the 90's when cartoons finally began to really nail it. But I'd say they are still evolving, yes today has a lot of trash but every decade has trash if you actually go back through it all instead of only remembering the shows they enjoyed, I can attest to that as Nostalgia Critic's Disney Afternoon video made me go, "oh, Quack Pack, I pretty much forgot about that one, god that show was terrible. And Shnookums and Meat, ugh, I vaguely remember that and yeah it was bad". Speaking of, he did a great video on modern cartoons () talking about how the medium is clearly evolving and we're seeing shows that wouldn't have got made even in the 90's. And that's not limited to kid cartoons, adult cartoons are also starting to diversify some as stuff like Bojack Horseman and Final Space are welcome deviations from the standard adult comedy cartoon you see everywhere.

Honestly, something like Teen Titans GO feels like it has the same mindset of a lot of cartoons made in the 80's but at a different angle. While the 80's cartoons may have been more merchandise-driven, obviously that also means they're corporate-driven shows and not writer-driven shows and TTG feels the same way, it doesn't take chances or try to offer subtle or clever humor, it instead relies on safe, predictable humor that can easily appeal to a mass kid audience and lo and behold Cartoon Network shows it all the time as a result. In both cases, they are not what I want for cartoons, I want stuff that has actual good writing, characters, etc., not stuff that practically feels soulless.

caffeware

Banned
The same answer as today,"They got it done in Japan". The Thundercats intro was animated by the same people that did Nausica and the Valley of the Wind.

I know it's from japan. You can just look at the credits. In fact, back in the day, before the internet, I thought the whole thing was a show dubbed from japan

What makes me sad is that the Thundercats have such a great rooster of characters to work with. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. Keep the designs more or less the same.

Just make the show into a real series. Create cohesive storylines. Cut some of the cheese from the original.

Last edited:

IpsoFacto

Is this gonna be another slice of life / comedy 10 minute skit? 'Cause we already got plenty of those. I'm still bummed that they cancelled the 2011 reboot.

manfestival

So why is CN so big on these type of art style shows? Teen titans go is horrendous. I feel like this deserves a chance. Granted I am on board with the hate train. They need to change my mind with a good product.

VAL0R

Banned
That's just sakuga stock footage though.

Outside of the stock footage, a lot of those old shows cut corners wherever possible. Not to say that the art style isn't still better than TTG shit, but that scene is not representative of the whole show.
Fair enough, but the footage wasn't just about showing a slick animation loop. The .gif clearly shows the old-school character design and aesthetic, which was my main point.

after season 5 of samurai jack, you would have expect that cartoon network would get the picture and create more adult animated cartoons. But nooooo......:(

Codes 208

Good god why? WHO EVEN ASKED FOR THIS? I mean Thundercats wasnt bad (i remember it and gi joe being on just before dbz as a kid) but this is complete chqnge in format.
after season 5 of samurai jack, you would have expect that cartoon network would get the picture and create more adult animated cartoons. But nooooo......:(
At this point, i think its safe to say Adult swim =/= CN

MaulerX

Fair enough, but the footage wasn't just about showing a slick animation loop. The .gif clearly shows the old-school character design and aesthetic, which was my main point.

Yes. The original Lion-o character model was so good.

Personally, one of the things that bugged me about the 2011 reboot was how Lion-o looked. His iconic red mane was gone and replaced by some choppy red hair. Overall he just didn't have that commanding figure. His character model just sucked imo. Funny because the rest of the characters looked pretty damn good which made Lion-o stand out for the wrong reason. This however is on a whole new level of sucky-ness though.

How dare you post this. I ejected a stream of coffee from my maw into the screen. I was both laughing and pleased to see this.

As for this new Thundercats... oh, boy. They are doing a disservice to the original by putting this out. I understand there is a lot of work that goes into this but as someone who grew up with the Cats during the 80's I just want to kill it with fire, acid and the power of the burning sun.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yeah... Because who has time or skill to draw something decent? Lets just make everything this doodle style shit.

Top Bottom