• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So to be considered a next-gen console, the only thing that matters is a new chip?

MrFunSocks

Banned
8TH1bhy.png

Kinda sorta?
Not at all.

Also can people stop pretending that the S has a worse GPU than the One X? It’s better in every way.The TF number is a different architecture, they don’t compare equally.

Last edited:
Fuck generations. They are outdated and need to die. Nothing really changes and they slow down progress. Let me buy the latest console every couple of years so that it can take advantage of advances, and have all the games - new and old - just work... Sell varying power configurations at different prices to cater to all budgets and tastes.

PC has been doing this for years.

Next: fuck exclusives.

Last edited:
Well, if it's backward compatible it should at the very least run the games from last gen in their enhanced version... Not like say the series S as an example.

Mister Wolf

Well, if it's backward compatible it should at the very least run the games from last gen in their enhanced version... Not like say the series S as an example.

None of those 360 or Xbox games were native 1080p.

Edit: Didn't realize old games weren't enhanced at all on the regular One.

Last edited:

kikonawa

Damage controlling what? A cheap entry level console? What damage is there to control? The Series S will fly off the shelves. It will be a huge success at $299.

Also, If the Series S and X naming convention seriously confuses you, then you must be on the spectrum. No way around that. Sorry.
Damage controlling suddenly a bare upgrade to one x without a bluraydribe and a measly 512 ssd is enough. It will sell to the hardcore gamers maybe.

Because everything in the Series S is next gen.
It's as simple as that.

Otherwise the PS5 is also not next gen, because it's weaker than the Series X.
What is that stupid logic?

cormack12

Gold Member
The Switch is a generation 8 console. The next generation will be generation 9. If the console releases in the same timespan, then it will be a generation 9 console/next gen. Generations denote time periods, not power. The 32x was the same generation as the mega drive. The X1X was the same generation as the PS4. The Wii was the same generation as the PS3.....

Fuck generations. They are outdated and need to die. Nothing really changes and they slow down progress. Let me buy the latest console every couple of years so that it can take advantage of advances, and have all the games - new and old - just work... Sell varying power configurations at different prices to cater to all budgets and tastes.

This is the opposite of reality.

Without generations there is no incentive for game developers to significantly raise the baseline, minimum targeted specs, that game will run on.

Do not think of a old consoles holding games back because, while true towards the end of the generation, it is far more accurate to say that new console generations cull off older and weaker hardware and make new technology's inclusion mandatory.

Without console generations we would be stuck with effectively permanent crossgen titles, all games compromised and held back far, far longer than they are currently.

Kdad

Microsoft should have announced both at the same time a simply positioned the X as a pro variant of the S. The 2 console approach isn't the problem, it's the messaging...spent months and months touting the X, the S looks like an afterthought rather than pushing both out at the same time. Jmo, the Xbox isn't on my radar.

Alphagear

It isn't next gen at all.

It is as much next gen as the Nintendo Wii was.

What the Wii was to the Gamecube this is to the Xbox One X.

Current gen console with a face-lift.

Microsoft really have found the best way to gimp the XSX. 12TFs flushed down the toilet.

Makes the gap between it and PS5 totally irrelevant now.

In fact I reckon first party Sony games will be the best looking games next gen simply because it.

It isn't next gen at all.

It is as much next gen as the Nintendo Wii was.

What the Wii was to the Gamecube this is to the Xbox One X.

Current gen console with a face-lift.

Microsoft really have found the best way to gimp the XSX. 12TFs flushed down the toilet.

Makes the gap between it and PS5 totally irrelevant now.

In fact I reckon first party Sony games will be the best looking games next gen simply because it.
Sony fp are always great looking because they are linear cinematic experiences.

None of those 360 or Xbox games were native 1080p.

Edit: Didn't realize old games weren't enhanced at all on the regular One.
I was also talking about the S not loading the enhanced xbox one X enhanced version of the xbox one games when it runs these... many are sub 1080p, some also have lower quality assets, etc.

The machine runs the S version of the games, this is why it's called series S.
God of war, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone are not linear cinematic experiences. Yet are the some of the best looking games this gen.

Same goes for exclusives like Death Stranding.
What he means by cinematic experience is that the games have great graphics.

Alphagear

What he means by cinematic experience is that the games have great graphics.

He said Linear Cinematic experience.

Those games I mentioned are anything but linear.

Anyway lets not go off topic.

Personally I am disappointed with the XSS. It is underpowered and to make matters worse it is going to hold the XSX back.

We will not see the full potential of the console other than resolution and FPS boosts.

meech

The SSD, the CPU, the architecture, the fact that is going to play next gen games...

But who cares about that; have you heard that it doesn't support Xbox One X enhanced features?
Funny, right? Not long ago, Sony fanboys even argued that backward compability wasnt important at all, and now they complain that the S cant use enchanced features made for the Xbox One X for last gen games.

Last edited:
More numbers != Next gen.

Next gen is the hardware itself thats next generation. The actual technology on the boards and chips themselves that are so much smaller, faster and more efficient than they 7 year old predecessors. The RAM while lower is much better and more efficient than previous consoles. The CPU is lightyears ahead in terms of speed, power and efficieny and will do so much for consoles that it's going to change how console games feel. It will be much smoother and capabale of more fidelity than before. The SSD while slower than the PS5's is still lightyears ahead of the terrible slow HDD's that were standard before. Trust me, you'll notice the difference in everything from UI speed increase to game asset loading major increase and load times reduced by minutes in lots of cases.

I get why people are skeptical of the Series S and how it could "hold back" development on 3rd parties and even exclusives, but i dont see it. Even last gen, if there was an advantage to be had on PS4, most developers went for it. They usually had higher quality graphics and better framerates. The PS4 versions were just better overall. PC versions are usually always fully featured just because they can and even the Switch got a lot of ports of big games being a sub 1tf machine. That said, while its the least powerful console, the S will be no slouch for a 1080p machine and developers should have minimal issue scaling to it from X or PS5 with the tools provided by Xbox, it just takes a little talent / effort to not make the S version a pile of dogshit.

If you get a PS5, you'll get the best possible version of that game as is possible on the device, independant of the PC or Xbox or Nintendo versions. Good developers go the extra mile to make sure their work is at its best on each platform they choose to develop for. The onus is on the developer to prove their work they are selling to you, not the tools they chose to use to provide it.

Last edited:

M16

1440p is like a 1/3 of 4k, and the gpu is 1/3of series X. Same performance different res. Its next gen you goof.

Montauk

God no. Consoles should 100% not go down the smartphone route. I don't want that as a consumer at all. I don't want to constantly worry about the need (or not) to upgrade.

The fixed spec of consoles gives devs something to master and optimise to for years. I can tolerate a mid gen upgrade at most but no more.

If you want to fret about specs every 2 years then get a pc. I don't want to see the console concept and its benefits eroded any more.

Please don't turn consoles it a realm of spec anxiety. They are meant to be simple. Yes of course the tech will quickly be out of date; that's the nature of technology particularly in the last decade.

Worrying about specs is anathema to console gaming. Just give your console a powerful adaptable spec and let devs learn its performance floor and ceiling. Let them learn how to make it sing and show great creativity in overcoming its limitations in the same a short story format or haiku forces creativity through limits.

Tripolygon

Banned
Hahahah

Nintendo laughs in the same old chip for multiple generations.

But seriously all that is needed to be considered next gen is the manufacturing declaring it as next gen. For all intents and purposes Series S is next gen. It is a new hardware albeit less powerful in terms of GPU but it has same CPU and newer graphics features as well as SSD which to me is the defining feature for next gen.

Last edited:
The Series S is $200 cheaper than the One X was when it was last for sale. It has newer features, including ray tracing. I'm interested in seeing how this strategy plays out.

Games as a service. Multiple hardware options. Seems like the way things should eventually become.

Top Bottom