• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh, the crazy buttocks on a train (CBOAT) is back?

SPDIF

no need for my follow-up, you nailed it.

Yep, that's what I said. Because Latvian Hitman apparently didn't care, but argued anyway. It was an amicable way of saying "if you don't care, why bother arguing?". By trying to be amicable, I essentially took most of the blame for the argument, which I suppose in the end took the point away from what I was trying to say.

But hey, I was just trying to nicely round the discussion off, and didn't want to cause any further arguments. I guess there wasn't much point in that was there?

Re: the discussion on the value of leaks and control of information, here's a couple recent tweets

Jason Schreier ‏@jasonschreier 22m

Only in the video game industry will a company REFUSE to comment on who's DIRECTING the product they just announced. http://bit.ly/1vgrYqW

Jason Schreier ‏@jasonschreier 16m

Imagine if other industries worked like video games? Sorry, we're not talking about who's writing this book just yet. PRE-ORDER NOW.

Gorillaz

Re: the discussion on the value of leaks and control of information, here's a couple recent tweets

Imagine if other industries worked like video games? Sorry, we're not talking about who's writing this book just yet. PRE-ORDER NOW.

Pretty much, and it actually bugs me at times. There is a difference between being coy and trying not actually getting delivering info on the product to the people you are selling it to. It's the most backwards thing I've ever seen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Only in the video game industry will a company REFUSE to comment on who's DIRECTING the product they just announced. http://bit.ly/1vgrYqW

Why the constant need to compare the game industry to other industries? It's not the same.

Yeah, Schreier's 2nd tweet is Ubi being petty.. but really.. does it matter all that much?

Games that are early WIP aren't even all that much games worthy to be shown. Besides, what you could be shown.. and if it's changed.. people will bitch.

It's like everyone wants to look behind the curtains.. but whenever they do they bitch about what they saw and how it's not what they wanted.

It's damned if they do/damned if they don't.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
In the Halo 4 OT2.

Don't ask me. I have no idea. Literally as context-less as you can get.

CBOAT always wit dem cryptic leaks.
Is this the first major Halo to have a subtitle since Combat Evolved?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait...

I get it now

akira28

I refuse to get hype. But maybe they're saying like they're the Guardians of the computer fps genre, and that they're going to take the title back because they're Halo. But, I could be reading into it too much. But I don't care.

I refuse to get hype. But maybe they're saying like they're the Guardians of the computer fps genre, and that they're going to take the title back because they're Halo. But, I could be reading into it too much. But I don't care.

Halo 5: Guardians was announced.

DC1

This awesome thread has five rails of discussion.
Currently discussing the characters and lore of the Halo universe.

Enjoy!

Really,. I'm enjoying reading the multiple evaluations of this thread to which I have played a part.

Prototype

great points by Schreier. So true. A director or writer being attached to a movie can make the difference between if I see it or not.

NervousXtian

None of the other industries are the same, yet we compare them all the time. Complaints like this have always stood out to me as remarkably myopic.

No, comparing the game industry to the movie industry is myopic.

People who make these blunt arguments about how some other industry does XYZ and how come games can't do XYZ are just spouting off noise. They aren't saying anything constructive.

Again, everyone wants to look behind the curtain... but it's not all that exciting most of the time. Gamers like to think if we aren't told everything, then we are being played. It's a pretty toxic situation these days with a lot of gamers.

Think about it: Anti-Publisher, Anti-Dev, Anti-Game Journalism, Anti-Console manufacturers.. There's a conspiracy theory for all of them.

Some of the threads turn into Infowars style of tin-foil cap wearing crusades against whatever perceived slight of the day.

toothed1

Banned
Sorry if this post is too much of a bump, but I just finished reading this thread, and I can't believe there are posters defending the idea that corporations, supposedly for the greater good, have a right to withhold information from consumers. Do y'all realize this is traditionally the kind of justification used by fascist governments to justify their secretive activities? I mean, Christ, look at Plato (the ultimate fascist philosopher, of course) and his 'Noble lie' - a strict subset of the population misinforms the excluded population supposedly for the good of society.

But there is so much wrong with this way of thinking. (Indeed, I think it is one of the most wrong-headed ways of thinking in all of Western thought.) It would at least take an essay-length exegesis to adequately convey what is wrong about it, but let me at least say the following about the current discussion: I would wish to see a society with totally transparent access to information even if that meant the failure of each and every corporation that populates consumer society (assuming that is what is at stake here).

Chettlar

Banned

Apparently I need to update the OP. They just announced Halo 5: Guardians.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I thought about it and I think we need insiders. We crave the theatre of gaming. The execs and the game shows. The bombas and the Minecrafts. It's too easy to fall for their theatre and believe their lies. CBOAT and ntrkl are needed to disrupt their show. To make them rethink. We make it more on our terms. And I love it.

toothed1

Banned
I thought about it and I think we need insiders. We crave the theatre of gaming. The execs and the game shows. The bombas and the Minecrafts. It's too easy to fall for their theatre and believe their lies. CBOAT and ntrkl are needed to disrupt their show. To make them rethink. We make it more on our terms. And I love it.

Yeah, exactly. I would hate to see gaming corporations totally controlling the presentation of information that constitutes the 'show' of the video game ecosystem.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dht_3NziwSw CBOAT is Harry Tuttle - this is my new thesis.

NervousXtian

I think that's kind of the point of comparing them.

They aren't typically comparing them.. they are saying "Movie industry does XYZ, Why doesn't game industry do XYZ?".

The thing is, they aren't really asking that question... it's a rhetorical question.

So if someone wants to have serious discussions about what is different about the Game, Book, Music and Movie industry.. I'm down. Trying to make a point by posing the above rhetorical question doesn't do that. The movie industry in said question is just a strawman.

Joni

That is funny because it is easy to find high-profile books where the writer will never be announced. See Nancy Drew.

akira28

Apparently I need to update the OP. They just announced Halo 5: Guardians.

Why do people keep saying this? I know they announced it. It's a weird name, but maybe with a purpose. I'm just saying that without some kind of evolution, they're not going to get me hype, even with a new game announcement.

Freeman

Banned
If companies were transparent then I could agree that leakears are doing a disservice. They are constantly trying to BS us and leakers sometimes end up helping consumers.

MS must be pissed if they have employees posting on forums challenging CBOAT supporters to physical confrontation, shows how mature they are, maybe the fact that they appeal so much to the dudebro crowd is because they relate to each other on a deeper level.

If people are losing their jobs or being yelled at because some teaser for a game was hinted at on a forum, don't blame us or even the leakers, blame yourselves and the corporate culture you are part of that does such a thing to someone for without reason.

Banned
Sorry, but guys like CBOAT and ntkrnl help spread the truth and filter out the PR bullshit that is kept secret for no reason. What harm did those leaks do? Revealing that an awesome collection of Halo games was being remastered for the XB1 is terrible for those guys working on it?

A White XB1 is coming out so now maybe someone who wasn't interested in the xbone before might want one now? That asshole!

If companies were more transparent then maybe I could agree with some people but nope. This industry has PR people spinning everything as Full HD 1080p, 60 fps, nothing gets announced or revealed outside of E3 and some smaller gaming events, and they try to take advantage of the ignorance of the less informed individual.

ntkrnl's leaks made me want to buy an Xbox One now instead of waiting for some black friday deal. CBOAT revealing that Titanfall was 720p (ended up being 792p) made my decision of getting the PC version that much easier.

None of these guys are doing a disservice to Microsoft or Sony. If anything, they're promoting the games and companies and generating free hype and excitement.

Sorry, but guys like CBOAT and ntkrnl help spread the truth and filter out the PR bullshit that is kept secret for no reason. What harm did those leaks do? Revealing that an awesome collection of Halo games was being remastered for the XB1 is terrible for those guys working on it?

A White XB1 is coming out so now maybe someone who wasn't interested in the xbone before might want one now? That asshole!

If companies were more transparent then maybe I could agree with some people but nope. This industry has PR people spinning everything as Full HD 1080p, 60 fps, nothing gets announced or revealed outside of E3 and some smaller gaming events, and they try to take advantage of the ignorance of the less informed individual.

ntkrnl's leaks made me want to buy an Xbox One now instead of waiting for some black friday deal. CBOAT revealing that Titanfall was 720p (ended up being 792p) made my decision of getting the PC version that much easier.

None of these guys are doing a disservice to Microsoft or Sony. If anything, they're promoting the games and companies and generating free hype and excitement.
what i hatw the most are demos/trailers being shown only to gaming peeps who do coverage. seriously? in this information age, what is the use of renting out a dark theatre to show ign or gspot your game that won't come out in a year?

PJV3

I really couldn't care less about the plans of these million dollar corporations and their plans to fleece me of more money. Any information is welcome. Bring on the leaks.

Agreed.

We spend shit-loads of cash on the consoles and games, just say what games are being made. People will still get excited when the first images appear etc.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Often movies are announced without a director attached, this is just ignorance.

Why the constant need to compare the game industry to other industries? It's not the same.

Yeah, Schreier's 2nd tweet is Ubi being petty.. but really.. does it matter all that much?

Games that are early WIP aren't even all that much games worthy to be shown. Besides, what you could be shown.. and if it's changed.. people will bitch.

It's like everyone wants to look behind the curtains.. but whenever they do they bitch about what they saw and how it's not what they wanted.

It's damned if they do/damned if they don't.

But surely this is all moot at the point when a game is being announced? Some would argue that this was Bioshock Infinite's folly, but really, by the time you're making your game public knowledge and it is, in essence, the beginning of its marketing campaign, those are the sorts of details you should really have nailed down.

test_account

XP-39C²
What harm did those leaks do? Revealing that an awesome collection of Halo games was being remastered for the XB1 is terrible for those guys working on it?
Probably not terrible, but it would ruin a surprise announcement. It probably wont affect sales or anything like that, but if i had been working on something, i'd probably would like to announce it myself. That said, i dont mind leaks.

what i hatw the most are demos/trailers being shown only to gaming peeps who do coverage. seriously? in this information age, what is the use of renting out a dark theatre to show ign or gspot your game that won't come out in a year?
Maybe it is to eliminate the possibility of people thinking that whats being shown is the final game, or to eliminate negative stuff being said about the game, like "this game looks bad!", even if its early footage. Whats being shown can be unpolished and bugs might happen. I know that some people put like "this is footage from a unfinished product" in the begining in some trailers, but not showing even earlier footage to the public would at least remove the risk of negative comments. Naturally the opposite might also happen, that people give positive comments instead.

leadbelly

Banned
This isn't really a leak. Posting a picture without any context informs no one. It was not something that anyone could possibly understand. It qualifies as teasing people at best.

abadguy

Banned
It's funny reading posts accusing posters of "defending corporations" and how we shouldn't fall for "PR", while in the next sentence portraying leakers as some sort of crusaders "sticking it to the man" or some shit. Clearly some have fallen for their PR. I like a good leak as much as the next forum poster but i don't buy for a minute them doing that shit "for the greater good" like some seem to. They love the attention and fanfare they get.

Dynasty8

Agreed.

We spend shit-loads of cash on the consoles and games, just say what games are being made. People will still get excited when the first images appear etc.

Still doesn't give some people the right. Most of the time these leaks are erroneous and just end up causing mass speculation and disappointment if not presented in the right way.

KissVibes

Banned
The problem is when leaks set some expectation that isn't met because the company wasn't ready to talk about or show the product. That's when things get fucked up.

Often movies are announced without a director attached, this is just ignorance.

Name a movie that was actively in production with a release the same year it was announced, that kept the identify of the director from the public and press.

Sorry if this post is too much of a bump, but I just finished reading this thread, and I can't believe there are posters defending the idea that corporations, supposedly for the greater good, have a right to withhold information from consumers. Do y'all realize this is traditionally the kind of justification used by fascist governments to justify their secretive activities? I mean, Christ, look at Plato (the ultimate fascist philosopher, of course) and his 'Noble lie' - a strict subset of the population misinforms the excluded population supposedly for the good of society.

But there is so much wrong with this way of thinking. (Indeed, I think it is one of the most wrong-headed ways of thinking in all of Western thought.) It would at least take an essay-length exegesis to adequately convey what is wrong about it, but let me at least say the following about the current discussion: I would wish to see a society with totally transparent access to information even if that meant the failure of each and every corporation that populates consumer society (assuming that is what is at stake here).

How was your first year of College? You do well on your finals?

Ho-ly shit. I'd respond honestly but I don't want to be banned.

Yes the failure of every corporation would be a positive thing. Let alone every game company every corporation period. FFS what an incredibly poor perspective.

Top Bottom