• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Vita+PS4 works as advertised, thoughts?

Tobor

hopefully true. its extremely disappointing that the connection is not direct between the vita and the ps4, instead through a router. is a direct connection possible at all? Ala wii u? maybe via an update?

if its through a router there are going to be a lot of factors then. instead of just worrying about how close you are to the console whilst on the vita.

Yes, direct connect is in day 1.

Yes Boss!

We still don't know it works as advertised until it gets to the masses on release date, I'd say. It might be working reasonably well in controlled circumstances for press review situations where it's perfectly configured, but if it's difficult to set up or requires extremely perfect circumstances to get a virtually lag free experience then I can't imagine it being too successful.

I'm worried about this too. I love the off-screen on the Wii U and if it is similar to that then I'll use the Vita for PS4 stuff a ton. But the Little Big Planet remote thing was really difficult to set up. Like, very challenging.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I mean, what do you expect? Wifi is only so good. The WiiU tablet has this issue as well.

I'm INSANELY hyped for this feature. Killer app of the ps4 for me.

Total unadulterated BS.

thefit

Good thing its optional meaning you don't have to buy a psvita, its not a packed in peripheral hiking up the console price, if you do own a vita and you don't like the experience you still have a vita. Even when you loose you win.

ImmutableObject

Neo Member
As someone who plays mostly RPG/Strategy RPG games and likes playing games in bed it is possibly the best feature of the PSVita for me. Goodbye phone games.

Also, I hope some of the best PS3 RPGs make it to PS4; I've always wanted to play Ni No Kuni.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Please, you understand exactly what he is saying, stop trying so hard.

Then perhaps he could articulate himself. He's a big boy.

From what I've seen, this is more than playable and I've tried some of the crap on PS3 and some of the good stuff like Guacamelee as well.

It works very well when it does on PS3 and PS4 looks to work even better.

Not surprised that it's working out as advertised, seeing how PS3-PSV remote play (on the same network) already works pretty damn well. What I didn't expect was additional awesomeness like two-player TV/Vita multiplayer like with Knack and NFS Rivals, that's really going to elevate the feature.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It does nothing for me (I don't game in bed, I don't game while taking a shit...) but it sounds good for people looking forward to it.

Everyone is leaving out that they were playing in sub-optimal network conditions. We don't know if they were connected using a router or directly to the PS4.

is that even possible? everywhere ive read has stated its done via router. if a direct connection is available there should be no problems with lag or stuttering. personally i dont buy "network conditions werent optimal". its a connection between 2 consoles streaming video output. its not reliant on any huge factors such as internet connection speeds.

From what I've seen, the amount of lag is so little that I won't care whatsoever, and I suspect joe blow won't be able to tell and/or care either.

The feature is astounding and will get a ton of use from me.

erawsd

Other than playing on the shitter, I just don't see the appeal. I would prefer a way to circumvent all the Vita stuff and just have a way for the PS4 to stream its content to any TV in my house.

thefit

is that even possible? everywhere ive read has stated its done via router. if a direct connection is available there should be no problems with lag or stuttering. personally i dont buy "network conditions werent optimal". its a connection between 2 consoles streaming video output. its not reliant on any huge factors such as internet connection speeds.

Yes its possible there is an OT for this.

Skilletor

Direct connection is possible.

LiquidMetal14

I'll wait until there is some real world tests. IGN's preview is from the Sony event.

I would just adsorb the videos and gauge for yourself. Then see it for yourself hands on day 1.

Just remember, this is a new console and the features and functionality will improve. I hope people have the common sense to realize that.

Tobor

Other than playing on the shitter, I just don't see the appeal. I would prefer a way to circumvent all the Vita stuff and just have a way for the PS4 to stream its content to any TV in my house.

Vita TV will be out next year.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Yes.

A PS4 can either be connected to a WiFi network or directly to a Vita. To use the internet while connected directly to a Vita, you have to plug an ethernet cable into the PS4.

Yes its possible there is an OT for this.

awesome. well, if direct connect has lag and stuttering issues then.....thats extremely disappointing.

but if its "basically zero lag" like wii u, via direct, then great. lag and stuttering via router, tbh, i expect it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From what I've seen, the amount of lag is so little that I won't care whatsoever, and I suspect joe blow won't be able to tell and/or care either.

The feature is astounding and will get a ton of use from me.

Joe blow most likely won't own both a Vita and PS4.

LiquidMetal14

I haven't seen any benefits using off play on my Wii u gamepad so I'm not sure why this would be any different.

Seeing PS4 is a proper next gen system with some useful features I would call that a big difference and this is only launch with almost all games working except the camera stuff. You can bet your ass this is different than what we've seen with RP on PS3 and anything on WiiU MINUS the touch functions but I wouldn't be surprised if some games took advantage of Vita touch in the future.

drproton

It's a little too early to declare that Vita/PS4 remote play doesn't perform as well as the Wii U gamepad when the only 3rd party demonstrations of the feature have been at events with heavy 2.4 GHz WiFi saturation.

God damn it's just amazing how anyone can be on GAF or the Internet as a whole and still be unaware that the Vita connects directly to the PS4. This has been reiterated on this forum no less than 1,000 times now.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk and this reply isn't even meant for you directly. I just amazed how little people know about how RP works generally. There's even an OT for it. I think we need and OT *just* for the news that there's a direct system-to-system connection.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Other than Vita TV i think Im most excited about the remote play on the PS4. I have already thought of at least 10 diff scenarios for me to play with it in remote play. let a lone all the"Second" screen functions it could have. Hopefully Madden has designed a way where you can scroll through your playbook on the Vita next to you while your cheating friend in the same room sees only the players getting back into the huddle.

Could be massive in FPS maps as well. Very excited for this feature..

Plinko

Seeing PS4 is a proper next gen system with some useful features I would call that a big difference and this is only launch with almost all games working except the camera stuff. You can bet your ass this is different than what we've seen with RP on PS3 and anything on WiiU MINUS the touch functions but I wouldn't be surprised if some games took advantage of Vita touch in the future.

It wouldn't have to do much to be different from the horrible remote play on PS3. As for Wii U, it still appears to have the edge when it comes to lag free play, sadly. I thought with the tech involved between the Vita/PS4 it would be lag free.

Snakeyes

Wonder why these guys don't just do a frame-by-frame analysis. Get a 60 fps camera, record both the TV and the Vita, compare the delay between the two.

LiquidMetal14

Greg Miller just posted up the IGN Remote Play video with their impressions. Worth a watch, they really liked it.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/ps4-remote-play-hands-on-impressions

They do mention the network environment so that's a good sign of any latency probably being a setup issue.

The most important part of that is that the games don't lag and you don't feel like you're not in control other than a stutter here and there which they mention the network conditions in the building as a probably culprit.

God damn it's just amazing how anyone can be on GAF or the Internet as a whole and still be unaware that the Vita connects directly to the PS4. This has been reiterated on this forum no less than 1,000 times now.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk and this reply isn't even meant for you directly. I just amazed how little people know about how RP works generally. There's even an OT for it. I think we need and OT *just* for the news that there's a direct system-to-system connection.

yeah, i dont manage to keep track of "specific feature" OTs tbh. keeping track of each console OT is enough as it is.

also, there seem to be a lot of people in the "other" RP impressions thread worrying about "is my router good enough" for RP. so im sure there are a lot of people who have missed this bit of information.

RedStep

I think it will be an important feature to us, yes. I don't think it will move the dial to the rest of the world, though. The Vita has been revered here but dismissed by the world at large (to date, things can always change), I think they're playing to an established audience.

That said, I grabbed a second used Vita ($104.99 in mint condition on Cowboom, which tells you something) in preparation. I'm diggin' it.

Top Bottom