• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So wait....was this supposed to be their big show..?

pixelation

The ban tab is going to make awesome reading in the morning.
Phil Spencer has been known to be a big talker, he has proved that time and time again and he always fails to deliver. They were hyping this event to hell and back and they show us... this?. Sorry but that showing really didn't live up to the high expectations they were setting but that's just MS's modus operandi as of late, talk a big game followed by disappointment... so why should people get banned for speaking the truth?

Last edited:
Phil Spencer has been known to be a big talker, he has proved that time and time again and he always fails to deliver. They were hyping this event to hell and back and they show us... this?. Sorry but that showing really didn't live up to the high expectations they were setting but that's just MS's modus operandi as of late, talk a big game followed by disappointment... so why should people get banned for speaking the truth?
He's dreaming.

He wishes there were people banned over their opinion.

The Xbox game showcase was a huge hit and miss.

Xplainin

Banned
They had a smaller indie showing which had Bright Falls, The Medium, Scorn etc, then this one, and they said they will be showing more from their first party studios later. So they have split it up.
Sony had their console reveal as well in their show, while MS did that at the Gameawards.
Had They put them all into one show, it would have been massive.

Spokker

Psychonauts 2 was the highlight for me but that's just the nostalgia talking. This presentation did nothing to justify why I would need a new console. My interest in the Xbox Series X went from leaning toward a probable purchase to back to sitting on the fence.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The ban tab is going to make awesome reading in the morning.

URZKKqq.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
Well, I gotta say that Microsoft event was extremely underwhelming... no BIG surprises. No Banjo Kazooie. No games that made me leap out and say YES!!! No extreme annoying and nothing that screamed omg I need that in my life.

I'll buy an Xbox Series X, but not for Halo Infinite, it doesn't seem like a landmark title. Cyber Punk 2077 for sure.
But really that Xbox showcase was disappointing.
I'm looking forward to the rumored Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster, Dragon Age 4 done right, and the Harry Potter game RPG.

Verchod

To be honest the whole summer of game reveals has been a sea of mediocrity, but Microsoft have crowned it off.
I wouldn't say I'm that hyped for the new console generation that's supposedly coming this year, even though the technology in both seems great.

Underwhelmed, that's how I feel.

Whenever they show Halo multiplayer. No one plays halo for the story. It’s popularity grew because of its multiplayer. So in August I guess.

It was a showcase of their future and the fact that every game shown will launch into Xbox Game Pass is something that hasn't been done and is pretty hype in my opinion.

It's like if someone showed you a ton of movie trailers and while only a couple looked cool, but most were at least semi-interesting and then the person told you "when these come out you'll be able to watch them at no extra cost" You would be a lot more excited or be willing to sign up for that given service.

I feel like Xbox shows won't really be better until like 2022 when most of the studios are situated and have released content, but I still feel like it was a pretty good showing

Batiman

Banned
I laughed when that Honey I Shrunk the Kids game name dropped Cyberpunk as the biggest game of the year in the same conference as Halo Infinite
Ya that was good. The first reveal of grounded did nothing for me but today’s video made little game look great. I have no idea what type of game it is though.

REE Machine

Banned
Whenever they show Halo multiplayer. No one plays halo for the story. It’s popularity grew because of its multiplayer. So in August I guess.
The whole halo story as well as their ad campaign for "finish the fight" for halo 3 was the hypest shit ever and you best believe I beat those campaigns before going online.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Do we need a thread for everyone's personal thoughts on this conference? Like I was disappointed too but I'm not gonna make a separate thread. There's one for the presentation and the next gen theaad

REE Machine

Banned
What did Sony show that was great? Rachet was the only game that stood out for me.
You got god damn Miles Morales and god damn Aloy
Aint nobody fuckn with that
Nothn fuckn with that
Theres nothin you could say thats fuckn with that
Phil aint got nothin fuckn with that
Nobody on god damn xbox fuckn with that

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You got god damn Miles Morales and god damn Aloy
Aint nobody fuckn with that
Nothn fuckn with that
Theres nothin you could say thats fuckn with that
Phil aint got nothin fuckn with that
Nobody on god damn xbox fuckn with that
Personally I'm really excited for a new sackboy and GT and a couple others from that show

CitizenX

Banned
How can anyone hate on the MS showcase when we got a STALKER 2 announcement?

As a hardcore STALKER fan, the sequel was announced close to a yr ago and if you know anything about the devs. im not all that hyped, see their on going project Survarium. It will be a beautiful game but by the time it releases its game play will be as ancient as Halo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
What did Sony show that was great? Rachet was the only game that stood out for me.

I'm totally with you on this, but I think a more reasonable question would be: What did they both showed that will be actually available soon?

I think that's important because we know Sony likes showing stuff that won't come for years (and god knows if they're even being in development at the moment).

If most of what MS showed today will be available sooner than most of what Sony showed, I think they played it better.

Yoboman

I'm totally with you on this, but I think a more reasonable question would be: What did they both showed that will be actually available soon?

I think that's important because we know Sony likes showing stuff that won't come for years (and god knows if they're even being in development at the moment).

If most of what MS showed today will be available sooner than most of what Sony showed, I think they played it better.
You're saying this while MS just showed a whole bunch of CG trailers that were little more than title screens, we've learned that State of Decay 3 has only just started preproduction, Rare doesn't even know what the gameplay for Everwild will be and the only gameplay they showed was for Halo Infinite which was first teased in June 2018

bitbydeath

Most if not all of what Sony showed is coming either this year or next year which is why they were able to show stable gameplay segments from each.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Most if not all of what Sony showed is coming either this year or next year which is why they were able to show stable gameplay segments from each.

You're saying this while MS just showed a whole bunch of CG trailers that were little more than title screens, we've learned that State of Decay 3 has only just started preproduction, Rare doesn't even know what the gameplay for Everwild will be and the only gameplay they showed was for Halo Infinite which was first teased in June 2018

TBF it applies to both of them, the only thing I'd actually consider gameplay from Sony 1st parties is R&C because Horizon is CGI and/or "in-engine".

bitbydeath

TBF it applies to both of them, the only thing I'd actually consider gameplay from Sony 1st parties is R&C because Horizon is CGI and/or "in-engine".

I just had the Horizon being gameplay discussion in another thread.
But also titles like Project Athia were clearly gameplay.

cfTAuem.gif

Here’s a link to where I was talking about Horizon being gameplay.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just had the Horizon being gameplay discussion in another thread.
But also titles like Project Athia were clearly gameplay.

cfTAuem.gif

Here’s a link to where I was talking about Horizon being gameplay.

Come on, they already had the character and other stuff from Luminous engine and yet no release date or something, also, it's Square + Sony... we know how it goes with their times.

BTW, not saying "it doesn't count" or that it doesn't look good... I with this time they deliver because it looks delicious, but I'm comparing 1st party titles only since third parties actually showed gameplay here and there in both shows.

In terms of actual 1st party gameplay and what games they'll both will release with the consoles, I'd say MS is a little ahead here, since they already had Halo in development for a while.

Redlight

This looked way better than Halo.

That's much more my thing too. This and Stalker 2
It was a good show, lots of stuff to look forward to, Gamepass is ridiculous value, I wouldn't have bothered with Destiny 2 DLC, but for free? Count me in. Surprised at how interested I've become in Everwild.

They showed a lot of promise with Avowed, Forza, Hellblade 2, Fable, Everwild, etc....its just that the games are still to far out when they're still not ready to show gameplay.

Demons Soul remake that people have been asking for forever. Horizon 2 which looks gorgeous. GT7 gameplay which looked great. Resident Evil 8, that new exclusive Square Enix game, Spider-Man etc. Their show had far more gameplay and was much more impressive.
Demon Souls _> no Gameplay shown.
Horizon 2 _> gameplay looked like last gen
GT7 _> gameplay looked like last gen
SpiderMan _> Gameplay looked like last gen

Top Bottom