• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what about Sony games after God OWar Ragnarok??

Are you excited about Playstation studios future upcoming games after GOWR?

• Hell YES i'm excited

Votes: 134 53.0%
  • No shit stinks

Votes: 35 13.8%
  • It's just OK, no bad, but no hype either

Votes: 84 33.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Flabagast

I’ve always preferred Sony’s consoles over others by a LONG shot, but I’ve never cared about their first party games.

I tried getting into GoW for like the 4th time the other day and I will never understand the love people have for this game.

-very dull UI with tiny ass text
-tons and tons and tons of collectibles everywhere. So basically half assed open world elements
-half assed RPG elements
-horrible camera that is way too close to Kratos and makes battles very unpleasant for me
-clunky battles with controls that I don’t really jive with. Tossing the axe, calling it back, while dodging and turning Kratos’ constipated, hemorrhoid-filled ass does not feel good.
-Kratos moves like he has both internal and external hemorrhoids along with a bout of swamp ass
-extremely “game-y” level design with the glowing ropes and puzzle points and whatnot. Extremely off-putting especially when paired with its “immersive” camera
-tons of annoying loading masks due to the “immersive” camera
-Repetitive puzzles
-spongey enemies
-Kratos has the charisma of road kill. As does Atreus

I don’t understand.
Yep I agree with you. Basically it was just excellent marketing but in truth the game is pretty average and very very bloated (although it has some good moments).

Naughty Dog games are miles ahead imho.

3liteDragon

It honestly doesn't feel like GoW is coming out in 2.5 months. The gameplay trailer is a year old, there's no marketing going on, and we don't know a whole lot about what they're doing with the game, what new gameplay additions, etc. Here's hoping that changes soon. Never seen such lack of marketing for a huge game so close to release.
September.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yup, too much Marvel, it's overkill

Actually i'm not a fan of the black and white color, full black is everything when it comes to console asthetics, imo.
racist comedy central GIF

I tried getting into GoW for like the 4th time the other day and I will never understand the love people have for this game.

It's probably not a good idea to force yourself to play something that isn't clicking with you; how much people enjoy games will differ because everyone is different.

And I don't share your criticisms of 2018 and hope SSM don't address many of your points in the next game. I also don't have an issue with the people who say Ragnarok looks like 'DLC'.

Last edited:
people thinking sony won’t have big 1st party games next year, lol

Has sony ever gone a year without at least two major AAA game releases along side their usual MLB and smaller stuff?

Honestly FF16 and Spider-man 2 alone is enough for a major year alone, add the possibility of two more service games, PSVR2, some good indies, they dont really need anything else but we’ll see.

If they actually release Factions 2 next year on top of those it would probably be the best year since launch

3 Spidermans and Wolverine
To sum up:
  • Spider-man in 2018
  • Miles Morales in 2020
  • Spider-man 2 penciled in for 2023
  • and then Wolverine hasn't got a release date.
I still don't see how that could be described as "overkill", there are other ips that have shorter gaps between releases. And even though they share the same universe, it's difficult to combine 2 ips like this.

Last edited:
To sum up:
  • Spider-man in 2018
  • Miles Morales in 2020
I still don't see how that could be described as "overkill", there are other ips that have shorter gaps between releases. And even though they share the same universe, it's difficult to combine 2 ips like this.
Not overkill but it feels like a lot of Spiderman. I wish Rocksteady was making another Arkham game. ;(

and ironically the studio making all those spider-man games still managed to put out a next gen ratchet and clank game inbetween. I couldn’t say the same for Rocksteady who’s been chained to making batman games for two console generations

Yeh next year looks terrible for sony, not surprising as they are focusing on gass multiplayer games and stupid pc ports, at this rate they are going to run out of games to port to pc lol. Well the xbox output is also shit, so no need to try, don’t know why they don’t fund more AA games . Great games don’t need big budgets.

Last edited:

Filldo

I mean, I liked the first Spiderman enough to look forward to the second game but yeah, that's it.

Naughty Dog went from top tier with the first Uncharted to complete garbage after Uncharted 4 and especially TLOU 2, Horizon 1 was great and 2 was good, but the third game is years away, and I'm good if its *just* more Horizon, and while I like things like Ratchet and Clank, they don't set my ass on fire.

I care for VERY little multiplayer games, and while GAAS games can be good, they don't have a good track record. Don't care about Destiny, don't care about GT, don't care about infamous, and while I haven't tried Ghost of Tsushima, it just looks like a (much better) Ubisoft game, so not exciting.

So yeah, its hard to be excited about Sony right now, especially since after TLOU 1 Remake and GOW 5 releases, the only titles being developed we know of are what, Wolverine and Spiderman 2?

Sony really needed an E3 presentation, or any kind of presentation, because things are not looking great right now.
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion but uncharted 4 is waaaaay better than 1 in pretty much every single way except maybe pacing.

Least of us 2 was certainly divisive but gameplay wise it’s pretty stellar and for many of us one of, if not the best stories done in a game.

Personally I think it’s just become popular to hate on them but I try to be understanding and listen to the arguments, I just think the majority are incredibly nit picky and come down to political beliefs and unmet expectations. Both of which are the fault of gamers. I watch all the same shit everyone else does and never come away expecting things that aren’t put into the games. But ND is so good they have become a cult and people have chosen their sides.

I recently played uncharted 4 again after being a little disappointed that it was not as bombastic and over the top as 3 but going back there is a lot more great set pieces and action than I think people give them credit for simply because there was far more emphasis on the story and the quiet moments.

Lost legacy however is up there with 2 in terms of great sequences and set pieces and was the most recent uncharted so again I don’t buy that they are going down hill. If anything they are getting so good that they are creating tons of intense conversations about gaming and stories and characters in games.

There is a saying that there is no such thing as bad press and I think a lot of people think that in spreading negativity about them they are helping bring them down but their games are selling better than ever. I guess we will see about last of us remake. I am wrestling with that price tag like many others but I’m definitely wanting to play through again. Look’s fucking gorgeous!

To sum up:
  • Spider-man in 2018
  • Miles Morales in 2020

Plus that dev still released Ratchet. There's a high chance they will make other games not based on Marvels IPs.

Plus the switch from Spiderman to Wolverine will probably provide a very different experience.

Last edited:
SpiderMan 2 in late 2023, Wolverine years away, and the new projects by the newly acquired studios are so far away they are hardly worth mentioning at this point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im actually looking forward to the next state of play (not the Ragnorok one) the one after because in theory we should see a bunch of unannounced Sony titles.

We know what Insomniac is working on.
Guerilla might have a surprise
ND are probably working on Factions 2 and something else, maybe that gets announced.
Housemarquee have got to be atleast someways into their next project.
Bend Studios after that new logo are almost certainly working on Syphon Filter right, so lets see how far theyve gone.

Only for me to be totally disappointed with a bunch of PSVR2 titles.
No disrespect to people who like VR and all that jazz, but that just aint it for me.

drezz

Only for me to be totally disappointed with a bunch of PSVR2 titles.
No disrespect to people who like VR and all that jazz, but that just aint it for me.
They will need a PSVR2 state of play sooner or later, so you'll be in for a let down soon'ish unfortunaly for you.

Im really looking forward to the VR boom we will experience soon'ish.
There are many hurdles with VR but the experiences I've had with it has been so great, both in just chilling and full on action panic MP games.
Best time i've had with VR was PSVR1 playroom, doing some dumb mini games where 4players on controllers fight the VR headset user, so much fun; and even better when drinking.

Normal games are better at most things, but as tech and configurations for this/that games improve with VR, we will hopefully see that line shrunken or dissapear.
VR+Normal/flat games is hopefully the future.
Either with full on VR side by side in MP; fighting or teaming up, as Normal/flat games, or VR taking some short of support role.
I think.

Winter John

Gold Member
The problem is Sony have released so many great games they've gone and created a bunch of spoilt brats who don't appreciate the toys they already got. If I was daddy Sony I wouldn't release anymore games until people started doing their chores and showing some damn gratitude.

Jormatar

I mean If Factions 2 and Spiderman make it to 2023 it will already be a good year. Add FF16 and some other titles to that and they have an amazing year ahead.

Skifi28

From what I gather reading this site, Ragnarok will be game to end all other games so it's safe to assume there's no need for any other games after that. Probably third party too.

NahaNago

Next year Sony is pretty much going to rely on third party (Final Fantasy), god of war finally releasing, spiderman 2, and psvr2. I'm guessing 2024 is when they are going to start releasing a bunch of games.

Last edited:

Hugare

Not much announced for the next months so far, so meh

The next big thing from 1st party studios will probably by TLOU Factions

And it 'll be glorious

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This gen with PS5 I mostly care about 3rd party games, I no longer can get excited about their 1st party games.

ZK8cCMP.jpg

Based on this, Sony have plenty of games in development.
Only thing is having to wait as development cycles are getting very long. Something like 4-6 year development time.
It would be nice to see Guerilla make a dedicated Killzone 2 style multiplayer game. I would of course like a campaign in the vain of KZ2 but I wouldn't complain if it was multiplayer only.

Moses85

The Last of us Part II Remake

ND will bring us the ultimate version of the game, the ps4 was not able to deliver.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I'm excited for 2023 Sony. Spider-Man 2, FF 16 and hopefully part 2 of the FF7 remake, Factions 2 and PSVR2 debut. Definitely sounds like a very exciting year!

Last edited:
Top Bottom