• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what happened to Link? (Champion's Ballad spoilers).

tkscz

As the title says, this has spoilers for Breath of the Wild's second DLC "Champion's Ballad". You have been warned twice.

Alright, so in the Champion's Ballad, we get more background on Hyrule's Champions. You get them from the memory cutscenes, and also their personal diary's. You also get more info on Link himself from each person's point of view. Like how he was fucking 4 years old when he was considered a swordsmen prodigy, able to handle his own against adults. Reading Mipha's diary, you found out when he was a kid, he smiled, was curious and talkative (and short). But when you keep reading her diary, she says one day (when they are older) he just stopped being as such. He became silent and stoic. He was still kind and would go out of his way for people, but he wasn't the happier person he use to be, choosing usually to speak very little. This is the way he's explained to be by the others, as well as Daruk and Urbosa bringing up that Link had something on his mind/heart, but had issues expressing his problems.

So what happened to Link between his childhood and when he got older? Some of the diaries say he opened up to Zelda and told her his problems, but they never say what the problem was. From one memory prior to the DLC, Zelda bring up Link's father also being a knight, but that's about it. We don't get much more than that. Was his dad abusive or forced knighthood onto Link? What happened?

ChuyMasta

Diaries? I'll have to google this up. I did not know of these journals. I just looked at the picture hints from the pilars and went on a blind search for the shrines/trials

tkscz

Could you post the location of the journals? I can't find any.

You have to talk to specific people and they tell you where they are.

Mipha - Talk to her father (King Zora), the Diary will appear directly to your left.

Urbosa - Talk to Riju (current chief of the Gurodo/the little girl in the throne room), the Diary will appear in her room on the couch arm.

Ravali - Talk to Kaneli (the owl), the Diary will appear in Teba's hut to the left (Tena's hut is directly next to Kaneli's).

Daruk - Talk to Yunobo, the Diary will appear in Yunobo's house.

Each person has a new speech option they didn't have before "Tell me about (insert champion's name)". Choose that option. Not sure if the Diary's appear before talking to them, but from my play through, they do not.

ChuyMasta

Thanks! I found them

You are right, the other bit of info I found about link is... He really likes food. This is confirmed by Zelda and Durak.

And like you said, Zelda's Diary mentions how Link feels like all eyes are on him and he chooses to remain silent as to carry this burden.

I wonder if there's Link's diary somewhere. I did a sweep through Hyrule castle thinking Link used to live there, but I only found sweet weapons. Where would a 4-year-old live in the castle?

Lastly, I like the subtle Ocarina of time references from Durak "Brother" and Mimpha's ancestor's legend.

Top Bottom