• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what were the games you played the most/got the most value out of this gen?

StormCell

I'm seeing that GAF likes a lot of games that are not exactly hardware-pressing. That's refreshing to see and just proves that cutting-edge visuals are no substitute for fun.

My list:
BotW - >350 hrs
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Minecraft
Skyrim (again)
Stardew Valley
No Man's Sky
Cities: Skylines
Civilization VI (currently and for the foreseeable)

Best value? definitely Terraria, got 1300 hours on a game that cost 3,5€ (and was gifted to me so I didn't actually pay anything for it).
Other games I spent a lot of time on:

Grim Dawn
Vermintide 1&2
Hyrule Warriors DE
Didn't spend that much time on each one individually, but I 100%'d every Neptunia game released on Steam... :messenger_face_screaming:

Dorohedoro

TW3 - Wins easily with 950+ hours. I'm 112 hours into my 5th playthrough, playing this one with the Polish dub.
RDR2 - 400+hours maybe. 252 hours on my 2nd playthrough. I wish I kept track of how much time time I put into my 1st playthrough but I accidentally overwrote the file, d'oh. Guessing it was at least 200 hours but around 30 or 40 hours less than the 2nd because I didn't go for the Zoologist and Skin Deep trophies in this one, which took forever. Played Red Dead Online for a handful of hours.
R6 Siege - 269 hours. The real number is probably a little over 300, because the server got fucked and stopped tracking stats for a couple of weeks sometime in early 2017 not long after I bought the game.
BF4 - 246 hours.
BF1 - 107 hours.
GTAV - 75 hours. Story mode only, didn't touch GTA online.

Then there are others like TLoU Remastered, The Nathan Drake Collection, Shenmue 1 & 2 HD, Metro Redux which I replayed a bunch of times, just have no idea how much actual time I've put into them.

junguler

Banned
watch dogs & 2
metal gear solid V
witcher 3
dark souls 3
the surge 2
nioh
gta online
assassins creed unity & odyssey
warframe

If we're talking amount of hours spent on a game, it would be:
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U is this generation)

Last edited:

cireza

Then that’s your metric of value isn’t it? Where did I say it had to be based on time
That's what everybody is answering in the thread...

Just wanted to share that thought, no problem with your topic at all.

Last edited:
As a fan of Tri Ace, I feel your plight. However, last gen's JRPGs weren't so hot tbh. This gen we got a mainline Dragon Quest on consoles. Nier 2 was a surprise. Secret of Mana a nice throwback. Yakuza's as good as it's ever been. Even got KH3 finally (I hated it but people like it). Atelier's going big. VC4 and Sakura Wars aren't JRPGs but scratches a similar itch. Hot new Tales game on the horizon. So not really that dire...
Except I didn't like any of these. Dragon Quest feels too slow, generic and boring for me. Nier 2 was unique but after a bit it also just the normal MMORPG open world "work through a list of tasks" gameplay just that you can't even play with others. Secret of Mana were only remakes. Did not play Yakuza but wouldn't consider it a fully fledged JRPG. KH3 I skipped because there's too many other titles to play to get the story and I already didn't like KH1&2 too much. Atelier is probably one of the JRPG series I like the least because it focuses on one of my most hated mechanics: crafting. Valkyrja Chronicles I only played the first game a little but didn't like it. Never played Sakura Wars, doesn't look very interesting to me. Tales of Berseria was pretty good but has the same issues I have with most modern Tales of... games: Way too much mechanics and menu browsing.

Sometimes I feel like I just grew out of the genre, but then I replay the classics and still love them, so the genre just grew away from me I guess.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Many games with more than 100 hours: Monster Hunter World, BOTW, Sekiro, Bloodborne... But the king is Persona 5, +300 hours along three playthroughs.

Audiophile

Gold Member
PS3 = Super Stardust HD
PS4 = Super Stardust Ultra

The entire cost over nearly 13 years, incl. all extras, less than £25.

I'll likely be playing SSU on my PS5, 6 etc. for years to come.

Less than the price of a couple bundles in Modern Warfare 2019.

Last edited:
That's what everybody is answering in the thread...

Just wanted to share that thought, no problem with your topic at all.
Yeah but I’m saying people can have different value metrics so you for instance wouldn’t base it off of time played since you don’t feel that equates to “valuable” to you. Could be the experience itself, even short, was valuable because you enjoyed it or were moved by it to a level that set it apart from other games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Binding of Isaac rebirth and Enter the gungeon.
Also Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.
Trilogy of uncharted games all on 1 disc? I've finished that few times and it's a great deal

Last edited:

thief183

Hunt Showdown around 1000

Binding of isaac .... I dunno... a lot

Animal Crossing... damn this game around 500

Witcher 3 around 300

Sea of Thieves around 1000

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battlefield 5 you could make the case it's the best FPS of all time, but it should have been ready day 1 so I'll go with Modern Warfare, it feels like an actual Call of Duty, one of the biggest video game franchises ever.

Rocket League: I don't know how many hours but it's in the thousands for sure.

PUBG: Probably hundreds of hours

The Witcher 3: I've done two full playthroughs including the expansions. The last one in Death March difficulty. So probably 300+ hours overall.

DonF

APEX Legends and Rocket League

Apex is 100% free, but I got the battlepass season one and finished it every season, so free battlepass every season, cause you get enough premium currency to get the next one.

Rocket League was a ps plus freebie (i know its going completely free to play soon) I've played ...a lot of that game, I still play daily. And paid 0 bucks.

Worst value, destiny 1. got the full digital edition, was like $90 and lost all interest in that game in 3 months.

I believe ill add Fallguys soon, im having a blast with that stupid game.

supernova8

Banned
Breath of the Mother Fucking Wild

I think I cracked why it's so good. It's because there's this level of consistency in the game world that you often don't see. Every individual character model or environment model might not be Witcher 3 level of beauty but it's consistent. You've never get overly detailed stuff next to under detailed stuff. Like the super detailed player avatars in a lot of third person open world games juxtaposed next to terrible looking, almost last-gen looking NPCs and environment assets.

I reckon that's one of the reasons the immersion is never broken. Also thanks to the fact that you can literally go anywhere. Really brings out the child in me..
- What's over the other side of that mountain?
- What's on top of that mountain?
- That rock formation looks a bit too perfect, I wonder if there's a Korok seed with my name on it.
- I wonder if there's something at the top of that massive mountain.
- Shit I'm freezing my ass off in this area and I have nothing to give me an anti-cold buff in the meantime... I wonder if equipping this flamesword will warm me up... nah it probably... ohhhh fucking yes it does.
- I wonder if I can use Cryonis to hop my way across the winding river/streams on the way up to Zora's Domain instead of having to take the mountainous path. Surely it won't work - oh yes it fucking does.
- I wonder if I can just cheat this Shrine puzzle by flipping the tilty thing around ..... fucking yes.
- I wonder if I mix these ingredients it'll make a meal like .. this.. fucking yes it actually worked.

I think it's the constant moments of "Nah there's now they programmed it to do this... but let's try it anyway.... oh fuck it works"

I used to think it was a half-empty climbing simulator but I've recently been spending hours upon hours just doing all the shrines, building up my stamina ring, climbing as many mountains as possible and finding as many korok seeds and rare stone deposits as possible.

Don't think I've even done much of the main quests and yet I'm fuckiiiing loving it.

People might laugh but for me Call of Duty is always value for money because I play its MP all year round. And its a great thing you can jump in for an hour or 4 hours if you want. Its the only game I buy and play it for the whole year until next COD. GOW, Spiderman, RDR2...loved it, finished it and dont plan on touching them maybe ever again. Im really get burned out from these massive open world games so unless they are as good as Witcher 3 story wise, I start skipping sidequests so if a game gives me 100+ hours, its not 100 hours I want to spend on it considering how much other games are out there. Id say Yakuza games give a lot of bang for the buck but fuck me if ill ever spend all that time mastering the mini games and those bazilion sidequests. Not my thing.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
1. Tekken 7
2. Monster Hunter World
3. NHL 20
4. Witcher 3
5. DOOM
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
7. Final Fantasy XV
8. DMC V
9. Gears 5