• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what your top 5 games of the year so far?

tommib

Yesterday I was just roaming around Elden Ring just to get a feel of the game (I finished it when it came out and killed all bosses). And how fucking magical that game is kills me. The vibe, the string drone music, the secrets on every corner. Best world ever created for a game? I think so. It made me think as well what my top experiences were for the year so far:

1 - Elden Ring / GT7 (can’t still decide between the 2 because I play GT7 basically everyday and it’s endless enjoyment)
2 - Ghostwire Tokyo
3 - Scorn
4 - Signalis
5 - The Last of Us Part I

Games that I know I will love but haven’t played yet:

Bayonetta 3
The Callisto Protocol

Also, big props for the Returnal expansion Tower of Sisyphus. Endless fun and with gorgeous aesthetics.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A "so far" with 7 weeks of the year left seems redundant, no? Ask me again later, I've still got shit to play!

Xeaker

Have not even played 5 new games this year because I am playing older games all the time. From the ones I played the only good one was:
1. Pokemon Arceus
LOL great year

Banjo64

cumsessed
1. Elden Ring
2. Splatoon 3
3. Stray
4. eFootball 2023

I’m pretty sure they’re the only 2023 games I’ve played this year. I’ve also completed Crash 4 and Lost Legacy, but they’re old.

After I finish Elden Ring tonight I’ve got to choose between Horizon Forbidden West and The Last Guardian.

tommib

1. Elden Ring
2. Splatoon 3
3. Stray
4. eFootball 2023

I’m pretty sure they’re the only 2023 games I’ve played this year. I’ve also completed Crash 4 and Lost Legacy, but they’re old.

After I finish Elden Ring tonight I’ve got to choose between Horizon Forbidden West and The Last Guardian.
The Last Guardian. It will warm your heart.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My top 5.....

11207236-11207236

81AS-lQdqfL._AC_SY445_.jpg

91sWZbA6W4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51GTBpGVyKL._AC_.jpg

915PR-X7KEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

F31 Leopard

Top 5 games I played this year and finished. I have other games but omitted because I haven't completed them yet. No particular order.

Monster Hunter Risebreak (Switch)
Atelier Ryza (Switch)
Atelier Ryza 2 (Switch)
Valkyrie Elysium (PS4)
The Witcher 3 (Switch)

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
1. Elden Ring
2. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
3. Call of Duty MWII
4. Overwatch 2
5. NBA 2K23 (toss up with MLB The Show 22)

I haven't played a lot of games this year - these were pretty much the only 5 (well, 6) new games I played for any extended period of time. I'm enjoying the bottom 3, but they aren't standouts like the top two.

Ragnarok will most likely be up there once I get around to playing it.

Fredrik

Elden Ring

Can’t list anything else because I haven’t actually finished any other 2022 releases. The others I’ve finished was LTTP playthrough after the new PS+ launch.

Miles Morales
Returnal

Will start Ragnarök tonight. Seems set to end up on the list as well, if I can finish it in time that is, livingroom and ultra violent game is a bad combo in my house.

honestly only game this year for me is Elden Ring

Overwatch 2 was fun for a while but I went right off it due to how much of a fucking grindfest it is to get shitty rewards. Gameplay itself is fun. Suppose I could just ignore the reward/battle pass system.

other than that.... Persona 5 Royal on Switch if that even counts?

The only other game I'm getting this month is Pokemon Violet.

wheres GOWR in your list
it literally just came out. unless you got a copy early then i don't think many people have finished it yet. but i suppose everyone has already made their mind up that it's a masterpiece before even playing it.

Last edited:

ungalo

1- Elden Ring
2- Bayonetta 3
3- Tunic
4- A Plague Tale Requiem
5- Prodeus

(would have put the Cuphead DLC in third place if it was a game, the best way to spend 8 euros ever)

2 great games at the top but overall not a good year for me at all . But the end of the year is packed there are at least some games to talk about.

I'll probably play Evil West, Callisto Protocol, Pentiment...need to find a Playstation for Gran Turismo 7 also. But still when i see my list it's pretty shit lol, i don't even like the last 3 games that much.

Last edited:

SHA

Sorry for being different but playing catchup to older games suits me very well.
Not worth mentioning but most classical Playstation xbox and PC titles you already know, they're really worth revisiting , makes me optimistic about the industry for the least.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
2. Elden Ring
3. The King of Fighters XV

Only a top 3 cause I haven't yet played other games from this year that deserve to be in a top 5, like God of War Ragnarok and Bayonetta 3.

Games from past years that I played this year:
- Zelda Breath of the Wild
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Last edited:

ssringo

1. Elden Ring

- Asterigos
- Signalis
- Infernax
- Bayonetta 3

Big name releases just didn't do much for me this year. Actually a lot of stuff that came out this year was underwhelming. Indies, late ports and Elden Ring carried the year.

correojon

Hmmm....
  1. Bayonetta 3: I love Character Action games and this may be my favourite in the genre.
  2. Elden Ring: Amazing game, but I'm a bit burned on the Souls formula already.
  3. Neon White: Awesome game, really strange that it's not showing up in more lists.
  4. Splatoon 3: Big Splatoon fan since 1, 3 is just more and better than 2 in every way.
  5. Can't think of anything right now, most of the year I've been playing old stuff I had pending from previous years, including a lot of small and amazing indies...Probaly Sifu will make it into my top5 if I manage to play it before the year's end.

Last edited:

stn

I'm only going to post the games I've actually played so far. There are some other 2022 titles that I purchased but still have yet to play (XC3, Ragnarok, Star Ocean, NBA 2K23, etc...).

1. Elden Ring
2. Stranger of Paradise: FF Origin
3. Bayonetta 3
4. The King Of Fighters XV
5. Deathloop

I'm counting Deathloop since it only released this year on XSX.

Going to be very challenging for me to narrow it down to 5. My list will be changing until the very end of the year. Still have a lot to play.
  1. Bayonetta 3
  2. Triangle Strategy
  3. Neon White
  4. Stranger in Paradise
  5. Citizen Sleeper
Honorable Mention: Sifu, Splatoon 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Immortality, Prodeus, As Dusk Falls.
Games I still need to play: God of War, Pentiment, Norco, Vampire Survivors, High on Life, Plague Tale 2, Signalis, Xenoblade 3, Mario + Rabbids 2.

I'd rather do a top 10. 5 isn't really enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. Dying Light 2: Stay Human
2. Horizon II: Forbidden West
3. A Plague Tale Requiem
4. Steel Rising
5. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

Will be different once 2022 ends. Fully expecting GOWR to be #1 and Callisto Protocol finish in the top 5 for me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Out of those released this year?
  • Elden Ring
  • Scorn
  • Live A Live
  • Crystal Project
  • Stranger of Paradise
I have yet to finish all those but Elden Ring lol. Haven't played much more new games this year.

Now if we are talking about older games that I've played and beaten this year, then it has to be:
  • Yakuza 5
  • Yakuza 6
  • Dragon's Crown Pro
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Ion Fury
Really enjoyed my time with all of those.

Markio128

1 - GT7
2 - HFW
3 - Elden Ring - not finished yet (just got to the forbidden lands) so could rise.
4 - TLOU remake
5 - Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5 version)

Not sure where GOW:R will land as I haven’t started it yet, but I fear for Cyberpunk 😂 (still enjoyed it though).

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Elden Ring is the only 2022 game I played this year. Want to try Ghostwire, but I'm waiting for it to hit gamepass.

Edit: I forgot about Dying Light 2. I guess that would be my 2nd favorite game of the year.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

1. God of War 2018
  2. The Ascent
  3. Geometry Wars 3
  4. Bayonetta 3
  5. Spider-Man Remastered
  6. Devil May Cry 5
  7. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  8. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
  9. Tetris Effect: Connected
  10. The Wonderful 101: Remastered
Had to list 10 since I'm playing sooooo many games this year.

Fbh

This has mostly been a backlog year for me.

But the best new releases I played this year so far were:
1. Elden Ring*
2. Triangle Strategy
3. Bayonetta 3
4. Sifu
5. Tunic

Games I'm interested in but have yet to buy/play:
Horizon, Ghostwire Tokyo, GOW Ragnarok, Neon White, Plague Tale, Rogue Legacy 2, GT7, Prodeus

Top Bottom