• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's next for the Switch iteration?

Waji

Yeah, they're awful and I would never use the tabletop mode. A switch mini and cheap dock would be the pinnacle of the switch form factor for me.
No , they're pretty good and I'm using them while playing on the TV, one in each hand.
Freedom and comfort. The best. Second best feature of the system for me after the hybrid aspect I think.

There's ot even a problem with the lack of D pad. I finished the 3 scenarios of Shovel Knight playing with the buttons (not the stick).
It works very well after a few dozens of minute of adaptation. It may feel even better than a D pad.

Only problem might be for some 2D fighters I guess. But I don't play those.

My guess
-Switch Mini (Smaller screen but can fit the current Joycons)
-Switch XL (Bigger Screen by reducing the bezel)

And for laughs
-Switch Pro X (4K)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
How many of these threads are we going to get? Seems like they pop up once a week and the system came out like 4 months ago.

I really don't think they'll do a switch mini and lose the "sharing the joy" thing, They might go with a bigger screen(smaller bezel) and better battery which I would love.

Yeah, I think it makes a lot of sense that they're selling the Switch with a dock initially because they're trying to get the idea of what the Switch is off the ground, but once everyone understands that it's a "hybrid console" I think they should start selling the system and dock separately.

As it stands, they're forcing customers to buy what is essentially an accessory they may never use, and thereby increase the price of entry. Once there's a general understanding of what the Switch is, forcing customers to buy a dock with the system will just be bad business.

It would be like selling the Gamecube with a $90 GBA link-cable while providing no way to get the system by itself if someone doesn't intend on hooking a GBA up to it.

This has been pointed out many, many times, but the dock is a piece of plastic that costs a few cents to manufacture. It does not push up the cost of the Switch at all, and it certainly doesn't cost $90 to make- that is just Nintendo trying to make almost 100% profit on an inessential addon.

Selling a Switch without a dock doesn't mean Nintendo can sell the console any cheaper at all lmao

Zedark

How many of these threads are we going to get? Seems like they pop up once a week and the system came out like 4 months ago.

I really don't think they'll do a switch mini and lose the "sharing the joy" thing, They might go with a bigger screen(smaller bezel) and better battery which I would love.
Yeah, I think it'LL be this. They might go Switch 'pro' and introduce the Parker or Volta chip with better performance at the same energy cost (or even at a smaller energy cost), but imo there's no way they're losing the successful Switch aspect.

The logo of the Switch is the Joycons. And the animation of it shows one clicking into place.

You will not a see a system called "Nintendo Switch" that has permanently attached controllers.

At best, Nintendo will release a "new" console 4 years from now called something else, that has giant words on the box that say "Compatible with Nintendo Switch software".

People on this board seem not to give a shit about the very obvious realities of the system. They're not going to release a version without detachable joycons. They're not going to release a version that can't be docked. People keep proposing fantasy handhelds and just brush off what makes the Switch the switch as being inconsequential because they don't care about those features.

And before you bring up the 3DS and 2DS, I would argue those features of the switch (certainly the ability to dock/undock) are more crucial to it than the 3D functionality of the former

Caelus

For the first iteration of a Nintendo console, the Switch is rather tightly engineered and actually looks sleek as hell.

I do not think the next iteration will sacrifice any features, if anything, it might add headset support, a better kickstand, and a smaller bezel - along with any other build quality adjustments.

I can see there being a dock add-on for performance, but I'm not sure of the feasibility.

"New" Nintendo Switch with upgraded RAM and CPU + new battery really seems the way the go. They can keep the same original form factor and sell it without a dock to make it cheaper for the existing switch owner.

Aurongel

-Hardware power in the dock or significantly improved internals that can clock much higher when docked.
-Meager performance improvements.
-Keep the 720p screen but make it larger to remove the bezel.
-Better quality control, stronger rail system.
-Redesigned joycons that don't get jammed.
-Meager improvements to battery life.
-USB C on both sides of the device and a better shell design for docking.

They don't need many major improvements to make a huge difference. They nailed the design and philosophy of the device, they just need to iterate on the weak areas that stand out.

EDIT: Bluetooth would be a nightmare given it's current battery life and wireless radio congestion. Those joycons have a hard enough time staying connected in an uncluttered wireless setting.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Switch already uses blutooth for the joycons.

DavidDesu

I think a clam shell design but still featuring same sized joycon would be a great fit. Imagine something squarish, similar shape as the joycon grip, screen and speakers up top!

I do like the mini design posted here, hell I'd maybe buy it, but it would be awkward if the joycon functionality was lost, issues with fitting into the original dock or else featuring tiny detachable joycon that would become unusable...

I think clamshell featuring same sized joycon a could work.. also clamshell is automatically superior for portable play as you protect the screen and controls.

Edit: Then again the mini switch with non detachable controllers would be for a different market. Sell a separate mini dock if you need it so you keep costs down. It's the sort of thing every kid would have their own one so sharing joycon becomes less an issue.. And this is the company that literally took the main selling point of their 3DS and completely lost that feature, so to say Nintendo won't do a "switchless" Switch is forgetting their past behaviour.

Neiteio

The Nintendo Witch: Essentially a Switch with Bayonetta 1+2 built in. Launches with an exclusive game starring Ashley from WarioWare.

Rayis

I want the Switch to stay the same for however long its lifespan will be and not release any new iterations until its succesor.

Boney

Banned
Tegra X2 specifically for being more energy eficient seems likely. I'll try to hold on until the revision is out before jumping ship.

PrimeBeef

Why would a mini be that much cheaper? Where are they saving money?
EDIT: I guess no dock + joycon dock but still...
No joycon means no point IMO. The whole point od this system is the beabme to be able to switch from console to portable with local MP built in with the detachable joycons. I will eat crow if it happens, but this will never happen.

PrimeBeef

Nintendo's newest handheld is a 3DS without 3D. Occasionally, they will drop a gimmick to make a cheaper, better product.
The difference is you can play the entire DS and 3DS library on eother system. The 3D is just an enhancement. (I might be wrong if there are any 3D only games. I am unaware of any.)

Dockless SKU with joycons integrated. And die shrink Tegra to increase battery life.

I don't care about all those Nintendo gimmicks or innovative gaming just give me super powerfull handheld.

Regardless, unless there is a batrery breakthrough, or smaller newer components all of a sudden get cheaper, no one is getting better battery life on a 720p gsming device soon.

that's exactly why I'm not expecting Switch Mini until we're well through the current Switch's lifecycle and Nintendo has the opportunity to introduce a new Switch iteration w/the X1's successor built in at a price that's lower than the current Switch price. The only way a Switch Mini will work right now is with a next generation GPU that can do 'undocked Switch' visuals on a 720p screen while using less power. I also expect a new normal-sized Switch iteration with the same GPU that pushes 'docked Switch' visuals to a 1080p screen that's otherwise the same size as the one we've got now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The Nintendo Witch: Essentially a Switch with Bayonetta 1+2 built in. Launches with an exclusive game starring Ashley from WarioWare.
And the puyo-puyo cast from PPT - an absolute cabal, I'm telling you.

robochimp

How would that work, though? Wouldn't the Switch have to be redesigned to leverage the dock as extra "horsepower". You couldn't do anything useful over the USB connection.

I could see the dock becoming its own console(2-3 years from now PS4 level?)with hard drive to install the game from chip or digital purchase. The USB between the switch and dock being used to handshake between the physical chip and the installed version.

uZfUDcJ.png
Makes about as much sense as a Wii U without the gamepad.

Let's cover all bases. We can't rule out Switch XL.

Honestly the whole mini thing is somewhat convoluted, with Joy-Cons having a set size and being an important part of the system. However one cannot rule out Nintendo releasing smaller Joy-Cons, setting the screen vertically for transport, or just forcing people to buy JCs for their functionalities. Dock size is not a problem, they can easily make another model. Possibly a simpler one that's just a rail on the bottom. Or some sort of combination of HDMI cable and AC one that allows you to use the system as a controller.

It's the Switch TV which I don't see coming because of no viable touchscreen replacement. They can technically say something along the lines of "software/features incompatible with Switch TV", but this would open up an additional way of criticizing their digital account policies. Perhaps if they had invented a good replacement controller for that they could have set up some stupid handheld mode simulation mode, but another controller? Perhaps some kind of Joy-Con+ with enhanced targeting... Vita TV style stick cursors, I find impossible. Anyway, if it happens, it's surely bundled with Joy-Cons and not a Pro Controller.

Another possibility, depending on what happens with the rest of the market, is straight incremental upgrade. In this case new Joy-Con model possibility (not necessarily enhanced, just fitting with new system) still applies.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo Switch Dock Elite
-Spring 2019
-100~149$
-Internal hardware
-4k checkboard rendering
-internal HDD

Nintendo Switch Mini
-Spring 2020
-229$
-Smaller (Vita size)
-Improved battery life
-Same specs
-Bigger memory
-No Joy-Cons

Super Nintendo Switch
-Spring 2021
-300$
-New Gen
-New nVidia hardware
-Close or equal to PS4 in terms of performance
-4K checkboard rendering when docked
-Bigger memory
-Improved screen
-Redesigned ports layout
-Backward compatibility

This is essentially what I'm expecting, but I might move the Super Nintendo Switch to Holiday 2020 and not release a Switch Mini (depends on if they can make compatibility work). SNS could be 2021, though. As you've put forth, I don't currently expect that we'll make it through the end of 2019 without some kind of hardware expansion/improvement.

I should do an analysis some time of GAF posts and see if the prople today saying Ninty should do a dockless Switch revision are the same people who said that a hybrid console would never work. I wonder if that's a straw man or if there is actual correlation as both points are equally misguided IMO.

Philippo

This is essentially what I'm expecting, but I might move the Super Nintendo Switch to Holiday 2020 and not release a Switch Mini (depends on if they can make compatibility work). SNS could be 2021, though. As you've put forth, I don't currently expect that we'll make it through the end of 2019 without some kind of hardware expansion/improvement.

I'm saying 2021 for the SNS because it's not a simple new iteration, but a brand new gen, with exclusive games and so on imho.
Hence i'd say the current Switch will have at least 4 years of life-span (and even after, a few games will be cross-gen).
And i also think they will keep this format of launch year, price drop year, improved dock year, mini year and new gen year for at least two or three Switch cycles.

Same body size, larger 1080p screen (smaller bezels) running in docked mode fidelity at all times. Would make table top mode easier to see, and joy-cons would still be compatible on a chassis that's the same size as the old model. Late 2018 at earliest, more like summer 2019.

Realistically though I think we'll just get a battery life increase, passive cooling, more internal storage and a larger screen of the same res with a price drop to $250.

JBuccCP

Right now all I really want is Joy-Con XL's. Make them wider with slightly bigger sticks and buttons and move the right stick over to the left some. Package them with their own grip and I'd buy them instantly.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Release a dock that holds a more powerful GPU.

I should do an analysis some time of GAF posts and see if the prople today saying Ninty should do a dockless Switch revision are the same people who said that a hybrid console would never work. I wonder if that's a straw man or if there is actual correlation as both points are equally misguided IMO.

Do an analysis on why your life would afford you such time.

Oh, following up on my earlier (very conservative) suggestions, if they could include variable refresh rate support (handheld g-sync) that would be very good. Even sticking with a 60hz display.

Things to think about:

The switch won't get a higher res screen unless it can use it while portable, this means a higher clock or the next gen tegra chip gets used.

Making it smaller with built in controls may stop it sliding into a dock, so I doubt nintendo will do anything like that so soon if at all this gen.

Joycons being swapped out and used on their own is a big switch thing so I would expect a revision to keep using them just like the current switch.

CazTGG

Hopefully, the following:

-X2/Xavier model: Either one of these would allow developers to more easily port over multiplatform titles without sacrificing visuals/effects or performance while consumers reap the benefits of a more energy efficient GPU (X2 is 50% more efficient than the X1 while Xavier is 50% more efficient than X2)
-A better kickstand: I don't play the system in kickstand mode and there's a reason why. It doesn't work
-Joy Cons with button variants: We all know that the Virtual Console is on its way, so what better way to play through Super Mario Bros. 3 than with an NES Joy Con? Nintendo did something similar with the Classic Controller on the Wii, so it would be an easy way to create an aesthetically different Joy Con while offering a more authentic way to play an older console.

How is a portable Wii U not bleeding tech...

He's better off on your Ignore List. It was a shit post.
How the hell was it a shitpost? I never said it was bad tech, but it certainly isn't bleeding edge. The tegra X1 had been around for a bit. I don't see them adopting a brand new chip that's just coming out of the gate. Unless you have evidence they've done anything similar in the recent past? If new tech is coming in 2019 that could enable someone to build an affordable handheld PS4, I think it's a safe bet Nintendo won't be that someone, at least not for any extra year or two.

Nintendo has repeatedly targeted a lower performance envelope than their competition since the Wii. Why is expecting that trend to continue a troll post? How about you post why I'm wrong instead of acting like a child?

No joycon means no point IMO. The whole point od this system is the beabme to be able to switch from console to portable with local MP built in with the detachable joycons. I will eat crow if it happens, but this will never happen.

The point would be to make an entry level version of the system so kids don't have to ask their parents to spend $300 so they can play Pokemon down the line. Basically what the first 2DS was to the 3DS.

Little Mons†er;243550185 said:
That Switch mini looks horrible

Goes completely against what the Switch is lol

The 3ds is being replaced by the Switch. The mini would be a very crucial alternative form factor for people who favor portability.

Hyoukokun

A fair few of Nintendo's first party games (BotW, Splatoon 2) are being built with scaling visuals in mind. I could see them implementing a dock using their supplemental computing patent design that takes over the GPU responsibilities and boosts most games to a locked 1080p. I feel like expecting 4k is probably unrealistic; encourage devs to build toward that spec and you'll probably get games that will fare poorly in handheld mode. Also, the bandwidth on the connection to the dock may be a limiting factor. Do we have any details on that from the SDK leak?

Not as sure about a redesign of the main hardware. Maybe nVidia will push them to upgrade because they don't want to keep making Maxwell-based hardware in 2018/2019? I'd hate for Nintendo to get sucked into the mobile 2-year upgrade cycle where everything older than 2 years loses all support.

KtSlime

The 3ds is being replaced by the Switch. The mini would be a very crucial alternative form factor for people who favor portability.

Which is a very small number of people. They probably took this (when it comes to their handheld consumers bigger is better) into consideration when making such a large console.

Top Bottom