• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

Announced 2019
Released 2020
12-18 GFlops Sony may aim higher than Xbox due to need to support upgraded PSVR headset
12-16GB DDR4
Significant bump in CPU speed (approx 2.5-3.0 GHz)

PS5 will retain same architecture as PS4 to retain BC out of the box.
XBox reconsider its eSRAM design and the ability to drop it and retain BC with XBO.

Nintendo will Nintendo and give us something that doesn't make sense, costs too much and can pump out simple looking Mario graphics @ 1080p30fps using technology from 2012. Nintendo fans will eat it all up.

Scorpio is definitely the XB1 successor, it's a much bigger upgrade for it to not be, if it was just an XB1 upgrade it would be very similar to PS4 Pro, but MS are looking for a new CPU and everything for Scorpio.

Sony has made it clear that Pro is still PS4, so PS5 will be likely be released in late 2019 / early 2020, as PS4's life comes to an end and to counter Scorpio.

I'd love Microsoft to announce at E3 this year a new xbox delivery mechanism. Starting this fall you can "buy" the xbox service at best buy, gamestop, AT&T retail stores, etc and for $30-60/mo you get the scorpio, a package of TV channels, xbox gold, etc. Ideally different tiers for what people want, the dream is of course a la cart TV channel selection. Just like mobile phones you get a free hardware upgrade every 2 years if you want and they will refresh the hardware every 18-24 months.

Sony will have to scramble to catch up, but they have all the tools to bundle it even better - PSVue, PSNow, PS+, etc.

I doubt it'll happen this year but I think sometime in the next 3-4 years we will see something like this happen, where more consoles get put into peoples homes but its focused more on just overall entertainment.

I could see Netflix, T-Mobile, Verizon, Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc wanting to do this to plant a flag in peoples homes as the "digital hub" and with the big push to cutting the cord and the options now available this is a much better time to be doing it than 2013. At some point one device will be the "home datacenter" and all your mobile phones, tablets, smart TVs, laptops, media players, etc will drive off it.

Issues are of course a bit too much for this to be realistic right now - internet bandwidth, multiple TVs, ease of use, multiple countries, TV channel bundling, compatibility between gaming ecosystems, and so much more. But ultimately I am 100% sure the TV cable set top box is going to be replaced with something thats much closer to a PC and console. PS4 and xbox one was just the first part, where they are so much like a PC now that upgrading to next gen gives full 100% forwards and backwards compatibility.

And yes, this was 100% what Microsoft kind of wanted to do back in 2013 but nothing was really ready to do it, cable cutting was still in its infancy. All the issues still exist and I think its going to be 3-5 years before it really is ready but its much closer today than 3 years ago.

Epcott

Winter 2020 or 2021... Probably will be something that incorporates mobile phones to mimic the hybrid qualities of the Switch, which will probably have taken over Japan by then.

Xbox Two will probably be out (or announced) 2019. Will be a hardware add on to Scorpio.

Err... that's about all I got.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Scorpio isn't a next gen console, it'll deliver Xbox One level graphics at 4K as well as VR but otherwise its just an Xbox One.

I wish they would throw the original Xbox One away after a few years and release Scorpio exclusives. After a while they could release a new Xbox and threat the Scorpio like the original Xbox One is to Scorpio when it launches later this year.

I expect the PS5 to come out in 2020, especially if PS4's sales stay pretty high.

Xbox One successor largely depends on how the Scorpio does in the market.

Furyous

PS5/XB2 minimum specs, in my opinion:

Minimum 1080p 60 FPS
16 GB of ram
500 GB hard drive
Quadruple PS4 performance
wireless charging for controllers
USB -C Sixth spec whatever that is
HDMI 4.1

They've got an incredibly tough selling job ahead of themselves either way....

PS4 I expect in 2020. Specs I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with AMDs roadmap that far out.

Xbox Scorpio coming 2017 with the next iteration coming in 2021.

I personally think that Scorpio is the XB1 successor. I think that Microsoft is simply trying a new model out where they slowly wean off support for the old console instead of instantly dropping it in favor of the new console.

My guess is that PS5 will probably release Holiday 2019 with 15 T-flops, 24GB of RAM, and a significantly better CPU, or something around those lines.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony can't just wait-- beating Microsoft is critical. Actually this is somewhat interesting.

If Sony launches six years from original PS4 launch, that would be 2019. Six years is, aside from the last gen, long for a console generation though obviously things change (and boy have things changed). That would give the PS4Pro 3 years on the market. Not bad.

Does Microsoft rush to meet them? Does Microsoft produce a dedicated box at all?

low-G

Yeah 2019 if its an incremental jump, much later if bigger.

Note that if 2019 I'd suspect the Scorpio -> next jump to be small (not as big as X1->Scorpio) and PS4 Pro -> next to be bigger or the same as PS4->Pro.

Incremental would just be another GPU & minor CPU bump.

At some point though they will have to seriously consider increasing the RAM and storage medium speeds of these machines which may break forward compatibility.

DBT85

If i had a pro i would be mad if another next gen console releases within 4 years.

I have a Pro and I'd be totally fine with a PS5 in 2019. I can afford to upgrade every 3 years. The Pro only cost me £150 after trading in my PS4.

Curufinwe

Sony can't just wait-- beating Microsoft is critical. Actually this is somewhat interesting.

If Sony launches six years from original PS4 launch, that would be 2019. Six years is, aside from the last gen, long for a console generation though obviously things change (and boy have things changed). That would give the PS4Pro 3 years on the market. Not bad.

Does Microsoft rush to meet them? Does Microsoft produce a dedicated box at all?

They've already beaten MS. They can release 2019 or 2020; it won't be a problem.

For Playstation at least, 2019 seems most likely, and 2020 at the latest. I could see this year being the peak for PS4 sales as there appears to be a strong line up of games, the price should reach record lows during Black Friday, and support for past gen consoles is dead. To me that means that by the time 2019 rolls around sales will start slowing significantly, so by 2021 PS4 sales would be dire.

Also, they are going to announce and release it in the same year. Nintendo took it to the silly extreme (not enough time to inform, hype, and settle before launch) but it worked well for Sony and MS.

Outrun

If I was Sony, I would go long 2020. Increase the ROI on the PS4 family, all the whilst leading this generation easily.

KillGore

PS5/XB2 minimum specs, in my opinion:

Minimum 1080p 60 FPS
16 GB of ram
500 GB hard drive
Quadruple PS4 performance
wireless charging for controllers
USB -C Sixth spec whatever that is
HDMI 4.1

They've got an incredibly tough selling job ahead of themselves either way....

500gb HDD in 2024? That would be like putting a 60gb on current gen consoles, enough for 1 patch.

Iced Arcade

I think the big 2 are done with traditional generation as we once known it. Nintendo on the other hand if they survive after the switch.

Papacheeks

Banned
Going to bookmark this but if LAST of us Part II is slated for 2019 release that's when PS5 drops in the fall.

Reason behind this was the trailer was running native 4k when they showed that, so I think you will see either native 1440p upscaled to 4k on PS4 PRO, 1080p with HDR on PS4, and native 4k 60fps on PS5.

Calling it Fall November 2019. They said they wanted shorter gens, so I believe 2019 will be when PS5 comes out.

If scorpio craps the bed and doesn't garner the resurgence they are looking for they may pull a OG XBOX and release early.

But if they put all their eggs into scorpio I think we wont see xbox and playstation launch at the same time like they did this gen.

Mandoric

Banned
Scorpio isn't a mid-gen upgrade, it is the new Xbox console, and you can expect another one in 3 years or so. People need to let the concept of console generations die now that the Playstation and Xbox share so many architectural commonalities with gaming PCs.

Why, though? Even if we take for granted that ARM will never outpace x86, that Nvidia will never undercut AMD, and that Intel will never have a competitive graphics offering, these past two generations are littered with anti-consumer console-isms that newly-adopted commodity tech could easily have moved beyond but didn't - or even that one or another competitor removed and then reintroduced. The PS3 was a home of standard USB HID controllers, even allowing KB/M support - PS4 is locked down. It had free online with devs welcome to implement cross-platform or even Steam - gone. The PS3 and X360 had homebrew support which outdid even the Net Yaroze - not the launch Xbone and the PS3 literally patched it out in a firmware update.

I'm under no illusions that the winner of the gen will demur from attempting to ride their mindshare, or that the loser will pass on the chance to relaunch away from the stench of defeat. At most we may see it justified by a major peripheral shakeup.

Fuchsdh

Part of me thinks there's not going to be a PS5/New Xbox. What's keeping them from a simple optional hardware upgrade every 3 years, while retaining the libraries that already exist?

That's certainly what Microsoft is going to do, and it's the smartest move they can make given that it leverages their natural affinities. Sony has less impetus to do so, both from their specializations and because they're playing from the advantage in most territories this generation, but I kind of expect them to follow suit. What was the point of the steps towards making the consoles more PC-like, otherwise?

I'd put my money on this except 1TB

Scorpio and the like better ship with at least 7200RPM drives. We're still a few years off from them being able to affordably put 512GB+ SSDs in consoles, and I don't think the next upgrade cycle would do that, but I can have a bus-powered and silent 7200RPM USB3 drive attached to my Xbox so there's no reason the console manufacturers can't.

And yeah I think 1TB will be sticking around for a while. I don't think games are going to get massively larger, especially because file sizes are a burden from both the physical standpoint of disc storage and install times and from the digital aspect of bad internet performance or usage caps in many areas.

Trago

I do wonder how Sony and Microsoft pitch this new hardware. While I do fine a basic specs bump unexciting, how else are they gonna sell this new hardware?

VR?
Better 4K?

What features are missing that they couldn't add before because of hardware? I really hope that they are smart about this, but then again, better graphics might very well be enough to sell better hardware. That and new games to look forward to of course.

Brhoom

Banned
Announced 2019
Released 2020
12-18 GFlops Sony may aim higher than Xbox due to need to support upgraded PSVR headset
12-16GB DDR4
Significant bump in CPU speed (approx 2.5-3.0 GHz)

PS5 will retain same architecture as PS4 to retain BC out of the box.
XBox reconsider its eSRAM design and the ability to drop it and retain BC with XBO.

Nintendo will Nintendo and give us something that doesn't make sense, costs too much and can pump out simple looking Mario graphics @ 1080p30fps using technology from 2012. Nintendo fans will eat it all up.

... If you only did some basic researh, you would have found that since Mario Galaxy Mario games tend to run at 60fps, and that Nintendo first party games have been more focused on 60fps than Sony and Microsoft.

All that gFlops didn't help Sony's TLG from having PS3 level graphic and below 30fps performance. Where you need a pro to have it run at stable 30fps at 1080p. But hey, 18 gflop, 16 ram and 3.0ghz is what matters when I want to be immersed in a video game.

RoKKeR

I wish they would throw the original Xbox One away after a few years and release Scorpio exclusives. After a while they could release a new Xbox and threat the Scorpio like the original Xbox One is to Scorpio when it launches later this year.

There is nothing stopping them from doing this at the moment.

I don't know how much flexibility the manufacturers have in terms of launch dates: I assume designs and fabrication dates have to be locked down years in advance. But assuming there is some flexibility there, then I'd assume the launch dates for next gen consoles will depend on how Scorpio does.

If it's a hit then I'd expect Sony to try to get the PS5 to market earlier. If it doesn't take off then I'd assume Microsoft might start at looking more towards Windows gaming, and Sony might delay the PS5 slightly (the Pro gives them some flexibility there in terms of keeping customers who might otherwise leave the platform).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
~2020, ~10-12x Nintendo Switch.

Pro's GPU is technically already around 8 or 9x Switch in terms of pure GPU floppage...AMD architecture compared to Nvidia architecture, 153 GFLOPS in undocked mode is around say 250 in real terms and 353 in docked mode is around 450 real world. (just throwing numbers out of my ass based on previous nvidia and AMD disparities)

Both much better than Wii U especially when you throw in modern maxwell architectural efficiency.

Of course that small bandwidth speed might also hold it back from being able to do all it can do, despite the good color compression.

When you think about it like that, the fact that the Switch has games looking comparable or better to Wii U games, to say nothing of some resolution advantages, we can see just how far mobile architecture has come, and more importantly, how much PS4 Pro and Scorpio's GPU's will be held back by their other components like CPU, RAM and the like, not to mention the base XB1 and PS4 hardware.

This is exactly why they are considered iterative units and not new gen consoles like PS5 will be in my opinion. Which is what Sony was talking about during the Pro meeting last December and what Andrew house talked about before E3 last year.

Top Bottom