• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, which environments blew you away this gen?

Assassin's Creed Unity, Syndicate, Origins, and Odyssey.

Going through each game back to back has been one of most enjoyable gaming experiences for me since I played the entire Dark Souls series in a row back in 2016. The worlds in each AC game are just so well realized and fun to explore. No other game nails exploration like AC does with its parkour system.

Bravo Ubisoft, bravo.

Dishonorable mention: Death Stranding

From the unimaginative cities to the boring hills and mountains you traverse, this game is such a grind to play. Traversing the world with the balance mechanics feels like the game is working against you the entire time and once you get to a destination (someone's foyer), you realize there was nothing to see anyway.

xPikYx

Resident Evil 7 (from my actual gameplay)

jnXoUb.png

jnXYOT.png

MarlboroRed

Hitman, for sure. You can pick any level in that game and it could make this list. The map design in this game is, as SuperBunnyHop put it, "the stuff of legends". It's straight up high quality product throughout.

My favorites would have to be Sapienza, Hokkaido, Miami, Mumbai and Paris. Every map feels like an exciting murder vacation, full of things to do and explore.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

There were a TON of beautiful games this generation, but I feel like I'm the only one who dug theHunter : Call of the Wild. I can just chill in this game for hours.

JloqNm6.jpg

BOXUjqn.jpg

hBrDiGX.jpg

I wonder whether hunting games mean less real animals get killed (because the person scratched the itch in a virtual way) or more animals get killed (because it leads new people into the hobby)?

I am still playing BotW, and I am quite often amazed at how good the environments and landscapes look.

There are so many incredibly beautiful places in there...

UC4
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
BloodBorne
Dead Stranding
The Last of Us2
Days Gone
A Plague Tale
Shadow of the Collossus Remake
And... The coming Ghost of Tsushima (stunning!)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I spent a lot of time in Fallen Order looking around at the view.
(random screenshots from Steam)
xogydVL.jpg

mY4Sa1H.jpg

Zi9LtYl.jpg

These are great anyway but I'm gonna boot it back up and grab some 4K, unbelievable IQ versions. I really worked hard on it to get it looking super clean with TAA and sharpening, but not too much to ruin it, I was routinely just stopping and staring in this game, especially on Zeffo.

Kuranghi

How can I capture less-compressed (better than shitty jpegs) screenshots of my games? Is installing Geforce Experience required to use Ansel? I don't really want to do that.

Kuranghi

Dude its VR, you don't "charge" anything, you wave your hand at the strippers ass and *whack* it makes a sound and jiggles.
Yeah you can do rapid slaps. Gentle or hard.
You can also use a cash gun and shoot them with dollar bills. Its great!

NSFW!!!!!!!!!!! VR tits and ass. and a slap.

I had a video interview of Shelby Steele playing at the same time as this video, what a hilarious combo.

PR: "How can we heal the black community?"

*shoots bills out of money gun at coincidently black stripper*

Kuranghi

hDwL9QT.jpg

xHk7EEj.jpg

uBbJKKt.jpg

Really impressed with this one tbh, freaking 8K downsampling + TAA + UE sharpening looking amazing. It'd be even better if I could get something better than jpegs.

Kuranghi

I completely forgot about that gem, one of the coolest areas I've seen in any game ever. Almost makes me want to go buy it just so I can take screenshots, even though the gameplay is a drag and the story a mess.
0*ufGUoAssMmF7lBxi.jpg

Rubbish!

Seriously though thats amazing, fuck me!

Seeing the upper plate from Sector 7 slums for the first time was the best moment this generation. You never got to see that in the OG, so having to see it for the first time was a sight to behold. I was sitting in front of the TV just taking in the scenery and music for a good ~10 minutes. <3

bBklgZD.jpg
I was disappointed by how low quality the whole section was compared to the reactor, and the low rez skybox used to show the upper plate just made the whole environment immersion breaking.

I know a lot of people love this game--I really love the original--but to me the remake is a HUGE disappointment, I despise everything they added, all the changes they made to the core of the story, all of the new characters are useless, the extremely bad acting and animation (did they even use motion capture for the cinemas?). I wish they had stuck to the original storyline and made the whole thing like the reactor, with only minor changes to the environments, etc. with the new combat system and similar graphics to what they have it would have been pretty amazing.

NahaNago

I was disappointed by how low quality the whole section was compared to the reactor, and the low rez skybox used to show the upper plate just made the whole environment immersion breaking.

I know a lot of people love this game--I really love the original--but to me the remake is a HUGE disappointment, I despise everything they added, all the changes they made to the core of the story, all of the new characters are useless, the extremely bad acting and animation (did they even use motion capture for the cinemas?). I wish they had stuck to the original storyline and made the whole thing like the reactor, with only minor changes to the environments, etc. with the new combat system and similar graphics to what they have it would have been pretty amazing.

The remake has been a huge disappointment to me as well. I was hoping for so much more in this remake. I fell off of it half way through the game. The environments , enemies, and towns were all just major disappointments. I kind of feel like this game was something they could have easily just have made for the ps3 but with weaker graphics.

xPikYx

How does this look on your screen?

RE7_Main_House.png

Is it really gray/flat?
Nope, I don't know what's wrong some people do not display my screen for this game correctly. Some people display them all black but on my screen does not. I tried to modify my screen e windows settings but if I display them correctly what can I modify?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nope, I don't know what's wrong some people do not display my screen for this game correctly

Ah right its probably just how you are capturing the images, try using the Windows Xbox Gamebar thing, it captures .pngs and can preserve HDR via the .JXR format, althought we'd need to turn on our HDR windows toggle to view it properly (Not sure if most/any TV's inbuilt image viewer supports HDR images, definitely HDR video, even Dolby Vision is supported, but I don't know about images) I assume.

Even if you aren't playing in HDR you're more likely to actually capture what you are seeing on your screen with the Xbox Gamebar screenshot tool.

xPikYx

Ah right its probably just how you are capturing the images, try using the Windows Xbox Gamebar thing, it captures .pngs and can preserve HDR via the .JXR format, althought we'd need to turn on our HDR windows toggle to view it properly (Not sure if most/any TV's inbuilt image viewer supports HDR images, definitely HDR video, even Dolby Vision is supported, but I don't know about images) I assume.

Even if you aren't playing in HDR you're more likely to actually capture what you are seeing on your screen with the Xbox Gamebar screenshot tool.
To capture screens I've always used Riva tuner included in MSI afterburner and so far never had a problem, olnly with this game. I recently updated my driver but situation didn't change. my screen is not HDR compliant and can't be activated on either windows and in game

For me it's Kingdom Come Deliverance, being from near that region; you don't understand - playing that game was like stepping outside, they perfectly captured the central European environment especially for forest. And it was just such a gorgeous and well executed game overall.

31526557774_090d3204e1_o.jpg

32195580402_68c3b0180f_o.jpg

been meaning to try this. Is it good

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Going all the way back to the start of the gen, Infamous Second Son's rendition of Seattle was pretty wild. It still holds up reasonably well.

Spider-Man PS4's New York is immaculate.

Every locale in Uncharted 4 seemed to be designed and built with the most extreme attention to detail.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How people shit on any of these games is a wonder to me. I know it's photo mode in a lot of cases, but jesus...if these stills aren't immaculate.

Here's one nobody would suggest probably. Mass Effect Andromeda's first level and ONLY that level.

16-08-2017-mass-effect-andromeda-guide-mission-walkthroughs-tips-and-tricks.jpg

Horizon ZD and AC Odyssey for graphic whoring.

But really the endless procedural sci-fi landscapes of NMS. They all look alike and yet never the same, some striking vistas opening for miles for exploration. I've probably lost far more time in these lands and intricate caves than in any other game this generation.

Top Bottom