• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who is doing sober October here?

NeoGiffer

:messenger_weary:

No+fap+november+day+2+done+only+2+days+in_53f0e4_5731049.jpg

DESTROYA

yap, and i'm irish

it's a miracle

i drank a bit in my twenties, glenlivet here and there but it never stuck
Oh I remember you saying you don’t drink but not smoking weed for a month is surprising.
Not much of a drinker myself, I think last time I had a beer was a couple of months back , not that I’m against it or anything I just did more of it in my younger years and really not my thing now.

TheContact

yeah, i actually started a few days ago. will be my first month doing it but i feel like i need it because i drink too much and too often. i'm hoping when i make it through the whole month i won't feel a need to drink as often as i do as it's been excessive for the past few years. my goal is to only feel a need to drink on rare occasions and not vape as often either.

MastAndo

Gold Member
No chance. Having a few beers with friends is one of my greatest joys in life.

I suppose I don't get the concept of quitting something for a month with the intention of just going right back to where you were before that month started. A cleanse, perhaps? ...you're just going to undo the benefits in short order. Now, if you're using it as a platform to change your ways indefinitely, that's good stuff, more power to you.

No chance. Having a few beers with friends is one of my greatest joys in life.

I suppose I don't get the concept of quitting something for a month with the intention of just going right back to where you were before that month started. A cleanse, perhaps? ...you're just going to undo the benefits in short order. Now, if you're using it as a platform to change your ways indefinitely, that's good stuff, more power to you.

For frequent drinkers your liver can do a significant amount of healing if you quit for a month a year, the process will ordinarily lead to a few pounds in weight loss even when people are not dieting or trying to lose weight, and other health benefits. I think sometimes when I do this I might quite permanently, but I don't go into it thinking "Okay, never again." I go into it thinking "I need to lay off the booze, maybe I'll make it permanent I dunno but at the least I need to take a break."

There have been studies on this, quitting for a month lowers your alcohol tolerance, that is you will be able to get buzzed off of fewer drinks. In studies they've done on this people that quit for a month will lower their alcohol consumption for months afterwards. It's also an important discipline exercise, and life experience. You do this thing all the time, can you not do it? What's that like?

I was really hoping to do no caffeine this year along with no alcohol but I'm towards the end of a year long probationary period on my job that ends this month, I am a little worried that eliminating caffeine will hurt my performance and I don't want to make too many changes at once, maybe next year I'll do no caffeine along with the no alcohol.

Part of my interest in no caffeine is that alcohol, caffeine, pretty much any substance you put in your body is effecting a bunch of brain receptors in order to have the effect it's having on you. I think you could increase the effects of all this stuff and probably keep your brain in better health if for one month a year you cut out any substances that aren't just normal food and water.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
For frequent drinkers your liver can do a significant amount of healing if you quit for a month a year, the process will ordinarily lead to a few pounds in weight loss even when people are not dieting or trying to lose weight, and other health benefits. I think sometimes when I do this I might quite permanently, but I don't go into it thinking "Okay, never again." I go into it thinking "I need to lay off the booze, maybe I'll make it permanent I dunno but at the least I need to take a break."

There have been studies on this, quitting for a month lowers your alcohol tolerance, that is you will be able to get buzzed off of fewer drinks. In studies they've done on this people that quit for a month will lower their alcohol consumption for months afterwards. It's also an important discipline exercise, and life experience. You do this thing all the time, can you not do it? What's that like?

I was really hoping to do no caffeine this year along with no alcohol but I'm towards the end of a year long probationary period on my job that ends this month, I am a little worried that eliminating caffeine will hurt my performance and I don't want to make too many changes at once, maybe next year I'll do no caffeine along with the no alcohol.

Part of my interest in no caffeine is that alcohol, caffeine, pretty much any substance you put in your body is effecting a bunch of brain receptors in order to have the effect it's having on you. I think you could increase the effects of all this stuff and probably keep your brain in better health if for one month a year you cut out any substances that aren't just normal food and water.
That all makes a lot of sense. I suppose I had one particular friend in mind who is partaking, but has already got his calendar marked for November 1st.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I’m sober

so yeah I’ll join ya

appaws

Banned
I haven't been able to do the after work drinking with my co-workers because of COVID....and I really miss it.

I've only been drinking during Bears games the past 3 weeks because I can't handle the stress otherwise.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I just threw away the rest of my home grown weed stash. Was probably worth a few hundred euros on the street. I've been inhaling weed for over 20 years now and I don't regret it, but it's time to grow in a new direction.

Last edited:
I am unintentionally doing it. I forgot about the whole sober October thing, but I had sleep problems for a week and am trying cutting out alcohol and other late night sugars.

So I guess its Slumber Octumber for me.

DogofWar

I have one birthday party to attend but except for that night I'm in sure. Since I want to get serious with strength training again I might as well.

Leopold

I pretty much stopped drinking 2.5 years ago. I go for drinks perhaps once a year and try not to exaggerate. This year perhaps it might have a toast for my wedding and that's it.

My life became way better. Less mood swings and crashes. I highly recommend.

Barrage

Going to try it again this year.the wife and I gave it a go in 2019 and got 99% there (me one beer, her one joint).

We’re trying to start to have kids here soon, so she’ll have no choice but to go sober, and I’d like to show as much solidarity as possible.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
To everyone doing it. You have my Respect. - I haven’t seriously drank since 1999/2000.

I know first hand how drinking to have fun, can become much more way more.

Not saying it’s the case for everyone who drinks. But for a few it can become a way of life or a way to cope.

Stay strong stay on track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom