• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who is getting a Switch Lite this friday?

cireza

Banned
That replacement is called Switch 1.0 Nobody is making you play in docked mode. Plus its not like you can throw Switch Lite in your pocket either.
The Switch is in no way a proper handheld console. Switch Lite is not either. The Vita is a proper handheld, good size, easy to carry, no active cooling.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I could give Vita for example where a company is adamant on presenting a sorta reasonable price for the current market while at the same time having to cut corners (using proprietary card) as compensation, there's always a price for these, the only question is whether it's worth doing. There's also the developing cost (which in turn would contribute to the price) to consider, plus QA tests for having to keep the dock option. Modders are now trying to test whether the tinier handheld could properly withstand heat pressure, and that's definitely not a guarantee it could work on regular basis.

So just do it at regular portable resolution.

I don't buy the development cost or QA stuff for a nanosecond. Of course it would be trivial to have the Switch Lite have a TV out. They had to work harder to ensure you could only do it with a dock instead of just plugging in a cable. It probably cost extra resources to block it with the Lite!

I'm not using this as an argument though because the development resources/QA on something like this is trivial regardless.

It's only artificial market segmentation, and taking away an option. That's all it is.

It's also an utterly ludicrous thing to do with their brand. Switch succeeded on having the product, unique selling proposition and marketing all perfectly aligned. Now they are back to Wii U levels of naming stupidity of just defaulting to whatever the last successful name was. It doesn't even Switch! You've fostered a healthy market based on clear messaging and are now creating confusion. I think they're totally crazy.

Okay, so it's not for you. But, does its existence really offend you this much?

Yes.

It's a bad idea. It fucks up their brand messaging, and anyone who buys a Lite should have the option of switching to a TV with a dock purchase.

It's both integral to the brand and perfectly within the Lite's ability. They simply removed it because reasons.

I'd even say it's dishonest to play up the Switching abilities of the Switch, and then to release a device of the same name that doesn't do it. Gonna be lots of confused AF parents, grandparents etc buying the wrong thing. You think they don't know that?

Shitty and irresponsible, Nintendo.

Zog

Banned
it’s not like the OG Switch, which does all you want, is going anywhere.
What if I had told you, when the first 2DS launched, that the 2DS models would replace the 3DS models and that developers would stop utilizing the 3D feature?

-Arcadia-

Banned
What if I had told you, when the first 2DS launched, that the 2DS models would replace the 3DS models and that developers would stop utilizing the 3D feature?

That... never happened? I mean, for shitty (in tech) Pokémon games, sure, but the vast, vast majority kept supporting 3D, and 3DSes are sold to this day.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If it was dockable for TV, I would have pre-ordered immediately after announcement.

My biggest complaint with the Switch is that it's way too fuckin' big for proper portable play, but I appreciate being able to play on a television as well.

They were so close to greatness.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So just do it at regular portable resolution.

I don't buy the development cost or QA stuff for a nanosecond. Of course it would be trivial to have the Switch Lite have a TV out. They had to work harder to ensure you could only do it with a dock instead of just plugging in a cable. It probably cost extra resources to block it with the Lite!

I'm not using this as an argument though because the development resources/QA on something like this is trivial regardless.

It's only artificial market segmentation, and taking away an option. That's all it is.

It's also an utterly ludicrous thing to do with their brand. Switch succeeded on having the product, unique selling proposition and marketing all perfectly aligned. Now they are back to Wii U levels of naming stupidity of just defaulting to whatever the last successful name was. It doesn't even Switch! You've fostered a healthy market based on clear messaging and are now creating confusion. I think they're totally crazy.

Yes.

It's a bad idea. It fucks up their brand messaging, and anyone who buys a Lite should have the option of switching to a TV with a dock purchase.

It's both integral to the brand and perfectly within the Lite's ability. They simply removed it because reasons.

I'd even say it's dishonest to play up the Switching abilities of the Switch, and then to release a device of the same name that doesn't do it. Gonna be lots of confused AF parents, grandparents etc buying the wrong thing. You think they don't know that?

Shitty and irresponsible, Nintendo.

Any good points (I like the brand talk and customer confusion discussion) you have are being drowned out by arrogance and aggression over something that really doesn’t matter that much.

It’s like, hey, go home reasonable posts speculating why Docked may be cut. This guy has all the answers! He even knows more than the development team. Making a Docked profile that gets so hot it cracked and warped some regular Switches, is totally easy to do on a smaller, cheaper form factor!

FFS. Are you the second coming of Amirox?

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
That... never happened? I mean, for shitty (in tech) Pokémon games, sure, but the vast, vast majority kept supporting 3D, and 3DSes are sold to this day.

Off the top of my head, the Mario and Luigi games, Dragon Quest 8 and the Pokemon games. What if, some developers stopped supporting TV play (you just get a blank screen when you dock it) to save money on lower quality, portable only assets? Would you say 'sure but it's only a few games'?

Also, 3DS models are very hard to find new, replaced on store shelves with the different 2DS models. Here, look at Wal Mart.com.

Notice how many are overpriced and not sold by Wal Mart? It seems like Nintendo has stopped shipping them.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Off the top of my head, the Mario and Luigi games, Dragon Quest 8 and the Pokemon games. What if, some developers stopped supporting TV play (you just get a blank screen when you dock it) to save money on lower quality, portable only assets? Would you say 'sure but it's only a few games'?

Also, 3DS models are very hard to find new, replaced on store shelves with the different 2DS models. Here, look at Wal Mart.com.

Notice how many are overpriced and not sold by Wal Mart? It seems like Nintendo has stopped shipping them.

Whoa. Three games, and they stopped selling 3DSes after eight years, and two years after its successor hardware came out.

Such wow. Many proofs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would have preferred it to have been smaller as well, but alas, I guess they couldn't shrink the components to get it to Vita levels of compactness.
The switch Lite is only 24.5mm wider and 6.34mm taller, but it's 1.03mm thinner. The screen is a half inch bigger. We in Vita territory now.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Absolutely and if people want to waste their money on a downgraded product then I can't stop them but we get to speak our opinions too.
You can, but from what I see, the reasons for people to buy this product is perfectly reasonable and justified - which I've listed, and saying them wasting their money on a downgraded product kinda seem petty from a consumer standpoint. Still, this is quite a ridiculous discussion imo.

Zog

Banned
Whoa. Three games, and they stopped selling 3DSes after eight years, and two years after its successor hardware came out.

Such wow. Many proofs.

So now you admit I was correct but you move the goal post. Cute. Let me bring you back on topic.

There are plenty of 2DS models on store shelves, it has replaced the 3DS. A 3DS specific feature was lost due to the existence of the 2DS but you think that can never happen to the Switch. I disagree because if developers can save money by using portable only low quality assets (and as a result smaller cart sizes), they will.

Zog

Banned
You can, but from what I see, the reasons for people to buy this product is perfectly reasonable and justified - which I've listed, and saying them wasting their money on a downgraded product kinda seem petty from a consumer standpoint. Still, this is quite a ridiculous discussion imo.
The door is on the left if you don't want to be in this 'ridiculous discussion'.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So now you admit I was correct but you move the goal post. Cute. Let me bring you back on topic.

There are plenty of 2DS models on store shelves, it has replaced the 3DS. A 3DS specific feature was lost due to the existence of the 2DS but you think that can never happen to the Switch. I disagree because if developers can save money by using portable only low quality assets (and as a result smaller cart sizes), they will.

I did move the goal post. I did admit you were correct about one small, tangential thing. Stopped clock, and all that.

I’m just saying that your main point is shit. Is it supposed to be shocking evidence that the 3DS is being sunsetted eight years after launch, and two after a successor? That’s a ripe old age.

And three games? Don’t make me laugh. Maybe we can make it to a handful, out of thousands of games?

Docked compatibility isn’t going anywhere, and it’s asinine to suggest so. This is ‘Hurr, durr, Switch Lite bad!’ with the flimsiest of justifications.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
To add to the point, on top of the fact that 3D stayed until the end, that was a controversial feature.

Docked, on the other hand, is universally loved. The entire Switch concept has been a massive success. If you think Nintendo and developers are going to throw that out the window, because they added a small, additional model, I don’t know what to tell you.

So people are only allowed to post if they agree with the OP? Different opinions are bad?
What is this, Resetera?

OP can be excited all he wants, just as others can answer the threads question positively or negatively.
Oh whoops here you go.

ResetEra.com

Nobody is saying he's in the wrong for getting excited, people are just voicing their opinions and concerns on the product in question.

And I’m allowed to be amazed. And you’re allowed to be that kid at the birthday party.

There is a literal chasm between what goes on at ResetEra and my suggestion that if you’re not hyped about a particular product, maybe your negative commentary doesn’t belong in a hype thread about it. “I’m so excited about game X” - quickly followed by “game X is the worst game series ever”, “the developers are terrible”, “the music sucks”, “it only runs at 480i”, “in at $4.53”, etc.

What is the point of going into a hype thread and declaring to the world that you are clearly not hyped about the product?

Zog

Banned
I did move the goal post. I did admit you were correct about one small, tangential thing. Stopped clock, and all that.

I’m just saying that your main point is shit. Is it supposed to be shocking evidence that the 3DS is being sunsetted eight years after launch, and two after a successor? That’s a ripe old age.

And three games? Don’t make me laugh. Maybe we can make it to a handful, out of thousands of games?

Docked compatibility isn’t going anywhere, and it’s asinine to suggest so. This is ‘Hurr, durr, Switch Lite bad!’ with the flimsiest of justifications.

If docked compatibility did go away, just for a few games, what would you have to say about it?

-Arcadia-

Banned
As can be seen by Nintendo throwing the Switching concept out the window with the Lite.

So, your stance is that the Switch concept is not a success, nay a huge one? I would love to see you try to stand that claim, or any of these claims, on some kind of evidence, while worming your way around the last two years of sales, positive news coverage everywhere, and big cultural impact.

So far, you have a grand total of:

- The Switch Lite endangers the Switch, because three games didn’t support a different feature on a different system, and the 3D model eventually ceased sales this year, after eight years of being available, and two of them after a successor was released.

- The Switch concept is not a success, despite every evidence to the contrary.

Ridiculous fucking bullshit, from someone more interested in preserving his hot takes, than using critical thought. I refuse to engage further with this blatant anti-intellectualism.

Zog

Banned
So, your stance is that the Switch concept is not a success, nay a huge one? I would love to see you try to stand that claim, or any of these claims, on some kind of evidence, while worming your way around the last two years of sales, positive news coverage everywhere, and big cultural impact.

So far, you have a grand total of:

- The Switch Lite endangers the Switch, because three games didn’t support a different feature on a different system, and the 3D model eventually ceased sales this year, after eight years of being available, and two of them after a successor was released.

- The Switch concept is not a success, despite every evidence to the contrary.

Ridiculous fucking bullshit, from someone more interested in preserving his hot takes, than using critical thought. I refuse to engage further with this blatant anti-intellectualism.

I am saying that revisions often replace the original models. The DS --> DS Lite ---> DSi and 3DS ---> 2DS are examples. Ignoring the past is achoice you make.

The Switch concept certainly is a success but Nintendo doesn't seem to think so evidenced by their decision to make the Lite.

I don't know why you get so upset that you need to use foul language. It's just a different opinion.

DESTROYA

No point in getting the Lite if I already have a OG Switch, if anything I was thinking of getting a Switch V2 for the better battery life but decided against once I learned the new revision screens are not as good as the first version.
Smaller screen in my opinion is a negative and people complaint about a Dpad have pretty cheap options to upgrade if they want without going to the trouble of modding themselves.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No point in getting the Lite if I already have a OG Switch, if anything I was thinking of getting a Switch V2 for the better battery life but decided against once I learned the new revision screens are not as good as the first version.
Smaller screen in my opinion is a negative and people complaint about a Dpad have pretty cheap options to upgrade if they want without going to the trouble of modding themselves.

sorry but this is just wrong. the small screen will make all your games look sharper,
cause it has higher dpi.

it is in fact a better switch for handheld gameplay

BlackTron

Any good points (I like the brand talk and customer confusion discussion) you have are being drowned out by arrogance and aggression over something that really doesn’t matter that much.

It’s like, hey, go home reasonable posts speculating why Docked may be cut. This guy has all the answers! He even knows more than the development team. Making a Docked profile that gets so hot it cracked and warped some regular Switches, is totally easy to do on a smaller, cheaper form factor!

FFS. Are you the second coming of Amirox?

My "arrogance and aggression" is directed towards Nintendo for their shitty unfair product, not at the end-users who have to suffer for their unfair, manipulative branding. I think it's outrageous.

Not everyone is a NeoGAF member with 30 game systems. In the same way people didn't realize Wii U wasn't just a tablet add-on for Wii, people won't realize the Switch Lite doesn't switch, but this time they will actually buy it. If you think taking advantage of their customers like that doesn't matter very much, then all I can say is that I disagree.

I'm confused at your answer that branding/customer confusion is valid but then argue lack of TV out doesn't matter that much. I mean, I think branding/customer confusion matters a LOT. That's why I'm annoyed at this move lol.

As said, worst-case is to simply have it output the exact same fidelity as the portable mode. I mean sorry, but the unit is already processing and outputting this image on its own display. It could just send the same signal straight a la Vita. You have an uphill battle making me believe there's some technical limitation to that.

A case can be made that they didn't want lower-quality video on TV, but that's no reason to totally fuck your marketing and your consumer in the same move. At least have the option, especially when it's literally the name of the product. So you got the cheaper, portable focused model, corners had to be cut somewhere and you feel it in the docked resolution. At least it still switches!

To be direct -if you want a smaller, cheaper Switch with a d-pad and better battery life, I'm not telling you that you are wrong to like or buy the Switch Lite. I'm saying it's a bad idea on a scale far beyond us adult game forum nerds.

If they really insisted on doing this, should have used a new name. Still would have been an unfortunate waste, but at least it wouldn't be actively dishonest.

This is like if they had named the 2DS, the "3DS Lite" instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog

-Arcadia-

Banned
sorry but this is just wrong. the small screen will make all your games look sharper,
cause it has higher dpi.

Debatable. Not the higher PPI (looking forward to that), but some people may genuinely prefer HD Rumble, a bigger screen, and the ability to kickstand for some multiplayer or detached Joy-Con/Pro Controller play. That’s without getting into the bigger battery.

It’s a you thing, pretty much. What price do you want to pay, what features do you want to have.

bosnianpie

I'm getting one, super excited! It's my first "main" Nintendo console since the NES. I've had almost all the portable ones so this purchase really made sense for me, two-in-one. Add a PS5 to the family and I'm set for the next decade (or atleast 7-8 years).

-Arcadia-

Banned
My "arrogance and aggression" is directed towards Nintendo for their shitty unfair product, not at the end-users who have to suffer for their unfair, manipulative branding. I think it's outrageous.

Not everyone is a NeoGAF member with 30 game systems. In the same way people didn't realize Wii U wasn't just a tablet add-on for Wii, people won't realize the Switch Lite doesn't switch, but this time they will actually buy it. If you think taking advantage of their customers like that doesn't matter very much, then all I can say is that I disagree.

I'm confused at your answer that branding/customer confusion is valid but then argue lack of TV out doesn't matter that much. I mean, I think branding/customer confusion matters a LOT. That's why I'm annoyed at this move lol.

As said, worst-case is to simply have it output the exact same fidelity as the portable mode. I mean sorry, but the unit is already processing and outputting this image on its own display. It could just send the same signal straight a la Vita. You have an uphill battle making me believe there's some technical limitation to that.

A case can be made that they didn't want lower-quality video on TV, but that's no reason to totally fuck your marketing and your consumer in the same move. At least have the option, especially when it's literally the name of the product. So you got the cheaper, portable focused model, corners had to be cut somewhere and you feel it in the docked resolution. At least it still switches!

To be direct -if you want a smaller, cheaper Switch with a d-pad and better battery life, I'm not telling you that you are wrong to like or buy the Switch Lite. I'm saying it's a bad idea on a scale far beyond us adult game forum nerds.

If they really insisted on doing this, should have used a new name. Still would have been an unfortunate waste, but at least it wouldn't be actively dishonest.

This is like if they had named the 2DS, the "3DS Lite" instead.

Essentially, I like most of your points, but it comes across like someone just came into the room and started yelling, while everyone else was having a quiet conversation. Then you brushed off some interesting points about Docked engineering.

But fuck it, I got (justifiably) heated at someone else, so I guess I lack much of anything to stand on at the moment. 😋

I don’t think putting portable mode on the TV would look that great. I’ve never done it mind you, but I’m under the impression that a lot of image quality stuff that’s present in Docked, isn’t in Portable. Hence blowing up that view may not be the best idea.

I likewise don’t think that Nintendo means any ill will towards customers with this move, but I agree. I am concerned. There’s always the people that don’t do research into a system, and I’d hate to see people disappointed once they take it home, or kids getting a gift, even.

I think the box, or the marketing, should make it clearer. Switch “Lite” is kind of that, but a lot of people still associate that name with the superior DS iteration.

DESTROYA

cause it has higher dpi.

That’s a load of BS on a fairly small screen to begin with.
Maybe to you but the screen on the OG Switch looks great and sharp already when playing in portable mode making the screens smaller doesn’t necessarily mean they are better, it just means they are smaller.

936z4x909h931.png

You really think the relatively small change in screen size will improve things drastically enough to upgrade? I don’t think so at all.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That’s a load of BS on a fairly small screen to begin with.
Maybe to you but the screen on the OG Switch looks great and sharp already when playing in portable mode making the screens smaller doesn’t necessarily mean they are better, it just means they are smaller.

936z4x909h931.png

You really think the relatively small change in screen size will improve things drastically enough to upgrade? I don’t think so at all.
I loved the new 3ds small SO SO SO much better then the XL.

It is 120% worth it for me.

Seems like some people are suffering from the "waaah i no longer have the newest toy in town syndrome"

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Not suffering at all, if anything I’m enjoying my OG Switch a lot lately with all the great games out .
Not only that the colors of the Lite are absolutely disgusting at launch. I see absolutely no point of getting a Lite over a regular Switch besides it being less expensive and not being able to switch is also pretty lame.

If docked compatibility did go away, just for a few games, what would you have to say about it?
VOEZ launched alongside the Switch in 2017 with only handheld functionality due to a touch screen being required for controlling the game. This happened way before the Lite was a thing. I'm sure there's other games that don't support docked functionality either. It's a shame, but understandable. I don't see why support for TV-mode would suddenly be dropped for the Switch. The existence of the Lite isn't enough of a reason for that.

Kamina

Golden Boy
And I’m allowed to be amazed. And you’re allowed to be that kid at the birthday party.

There is a literal chasm between what goes on at ResetEra and my suggestion that if you’re not hyped about a particular product, maybe your negative commentary doesn’t belong in a hype thread about it. “I’m so excited about game X” - quickly followed by “game X is the worst game series ever”, “the developers are terrible”, “the music sucks”, “it only runs at 480i”, “in at $4.53”, etc.

What is the point of going into a hype thread and declaring to the world that you are clearly not hyped about the product?
Define hype thread. The title is literally a question, so people come to answer.
If you dont like that some people dont agree then you have to learn to cope with that.

Look, i dont like it either when people come into threads about my favorite games and say they didnt enjoy them.
But i learned to not give a shit because its their right to have that opinion (except brap). The world would be very boring of everyone liked the same stuff.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This caught my eye in an ad. I wasn’t planning (or budgeting, lol) for a case, but I might just have to pick this up.
S6KIxvk.jpg

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I don't know if this was known already, but I just watched a Youtuber plug a pro controller into a Lite and it worked. So I guess you could play it sat on a stand if you wanted.

BlackTron

Essentially, I like most of your points, but it comes across like someone just came into the room and started yelling, while everyone else was having a quiet conversation. Then you brushed off some interesting points about Docked engineering.

But fuck it, I got (justifiably) heated at someone else, so I guess I lack much of anything to stand on at the moment. 😋

I don’t think putting portable mode on the TV would look that great. I’ve never done it mind you, but I’m under the impression that a lot of image quality stuff that’s present in Docked, isn’t in Portable. Hence blowing up that view may not be the best idea.

I likewise don’t think that Nintendo means any ill will towards customers with this move, but I agree. I am concerned. There’s always the people that don’t do research into a system, and I’d hate to see people disappointed once they take it home, or kids getting a gift, even.

I think the box, or the marketing, should make it clearer. Switch “Lite” is kind of that, but a lot of people still associate that name with the superior DS iteration.

If I seem pissed at Nintendo, it's because I am lol. I thought they had turned around from this WiiU level idiocy. But as always, once they have a little success, they fade back into the same patterns. It's brain-dead ineptitude at best and dishonest at worst.

You're right, portable mode on TV wouldn't look that great. For that matter, docked mode on TV often doesn't look that great either. Sorry but lack of visual fidelity or processing power never stopped Nintendo before. Their stuff always performs like crap compared to everything else, so what's the difference? Again, options. If someone wants to use their "lessor" Switch to, well, switch, let them.

I can't buy into Nintendo "protecting" anyone from bad image quality. Even OG Switch has games that look like ass on a big TV. Wii came out at a time adoption of HD sets was really ramping up and it looked like shit on them. They don't care. They just do their best with what they have and that's always been it.

Again I see nothing but artificial segmentation.

GAMETA

Banned
I wouldn't, even if I had the money.

The only way a Lite version would appeal to me is if it could stream to the TV.

Now that would be something worth rebuying the same system.

Last edited:

Hudo

I can understand why people like the Switch Lite (They should've called it Lite Switch, goddamn, Nintendo!) but for me, I like having the option to dock it. So, I am waiting for a "Power Switch" (Which will probably be called "Switch Pro" because people are no fun.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can't buy into Nintendo "protecting" anyone from bad image quality. Even OG Switch has games that look like ass on a big TV. Wii came out at a time adoption of HD sets was really ramping up and it looked like shit on them. They don't care. They just do their best with what they have and that's always been it.

Again I see nothing but artificial segmentation.
The OG Switch Switch underclocks it's internal components when running in handheld mode though. I assume that by removing the ability for this to dock they were able to scrap internal components that did the dock detection but also were able to squeeze additional battery life from the Lite system by giving it a constant lower clock speed. They also probably shaved off a bunch of plastic from the unit by not having to engineer such a robust thermal displacement system (smaller fans as there is less to cool).

Ovek

7Member7
No, the Switch lite is like a retarded little brother to the Switch that is utterly pointless.

Top Bottom