• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who is getting a Switch Lite this friday?

Birdo

Banned
I'll never understand the hate for Lite. Noone is taking your OG away.

The same thing happens with every console revision (Even 2DS got it).

It's that deep down feeling that you no longer own the latest hardware, even if it's a lesser version. It creates a resentful reaction.

BlackTron

The OG @Switch underclocks it's internal components when running in handheld mode though. I assume that by removing the ability for this to dock they were able to scrap internal components that did the dock detection but also were able to squeeze additional battery life from the Lite system by giving it a constant lower clock speed. They also probably shaved off a bunch of plastic from the unit by not having to engineer such a robust thermal displacement system (smaller fans as there is less to cool).

I'm fully aware of this. I said that if this is an issue, the worst case scenario is to simply output portable mode video.

In other words, no modifications or changes are necessary beyond lifting the arbitrary limitation.

Even phones output video through their USB port. The Switch does it such a similar fashion that you can use adapters that work on a Samsung on OG Switch. The only reason you can't on Lite is because they took care to block it.

BlackTron

I'll never understand the hate for Lite. Noone is taking your OG away. Is it a good value? Maybe (not) - it's really individual, but it is 1/3 cheaper than OG, for many that's a good proposition.

It's that deep down feeling that you no longer own the latest hardware, even if it's a lesser version. It creates a resentful reaction.

Hold on. I resent Nintendo for how they handled Switch Lite, but none of the reasons specified have anything to do with no longer owning the latest and greatest.

For the record, I think 2DS was a necessary product and executed correctly. Even if I didn't want one.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

it's fucking immature that's what i think

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I don’t hate Lite I just personally don’t think I would need one, my OG Switch gives me option to play both handheld and on TV. With Switch Lite You would lose that option.

It would have been better if there was mini dock for Switch lite so you could still connect it to TV.

Fake

I'll probably looking for the Nintendo Switch PRO. Using as a full portable is not my line right now.

Can’t wait! Still rocking a launch day model and have the diablo 3 limited edition (no intention of parting with them either). Getting grey for the launch and also getting the Pokemon one in November (along with whatever pokemon regular switch they make).

I play exclusively handheld so it’s no skin off my nose to get the Lite which will see far more use from me. I also marathon long periods and have put a bit of stress on my joycons from my hold to the point they feel loose in the rails a little bit. The Lite will eliminate that for me since there’s no detachable parts. If my kids were younger and there was risk of joycon breakage, they’d get Lites no question as the single body design reminds me of the intended sturdiness the original 2DS launched with (even though it was god ugly..)

Zog

Banned

I do own the latest Switch hardware and I still think the Lite is dumb. I have the Switch version 2 with the best battery life of them all and all the features that the Lite lacks.

The reason people don’t like the Lite has been discussed in this thread and you still think it’s envy. Envy over downgraded hardware. It’s not envy.

Last edited:
Why is this shit up for debate? If you’ve already made it clear you don’t like or want the Lite, then move the fuck on.

We get it: it’s a “downgrade” to you naysayers even though it’s a great strategy by Nintendo.

They did the market research and more people play handheld than any other mode, so it made sense to capitalize on the market that would be drawn to a more handheld device. And it’s a great option for parents whom a) want a cheaper alternative to the regular system and b) want something a little sturdier (less moving parts and less risk of being broken or lost).

It’s a handheld that plays Switch games and is light on the original’s features, really not that fucking hard a concept to grasp... And why is the Lite a laughable system yet nobody seem to bat an eye when people claim they want a screenless tv-only system?

EDIT: And for the supposed “confusion” this will cause? There’s only two versions of Switch on market, the regular and the Lite. A parent asks for one, any retail employee should be able to ask which model and give bulletpoints to the differences. From there, consumer makes informed choice.Though given this is not a perfect world and many retail employees are actually major idiots (or just don’t care to know the products they carry), fault lies on the consumer that can’t research or read the packaging.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This isn't really geared toward most of the people on here (more hardcore gamers). Apparently, a lot of people have an issue with that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if they are planning a Lite and a Pro, it makes sense to drop the Lite this year and drop the Pro when the other console's next gen systems are announced, next year. that way the Pro can be a little more on par with the new gen refresh.

not getting it personally but I respect the hustle. Nintendo has a huge hit on their hands with the Switch. it's a no brainer to want to shift more units.

Zog

Banned
Why is this shit up for debate? If you’ve already made it clear you don’t like or want the Lite, then move the fuck on.
Only positive opinions are allowed. Got it!
We get it: it’s a “downgrade” to you naysayers even though it’s a great strategy by Nintendo.

They did the market research and more people play handheld than any other mode, so it made sense to capitalize on the market that would be drawn to a more handheld device. And it’s a great option for parents whom a) want a cheaper alternative to the regular system and b) want something a little sturdier (less moving parts and less risk of being broken or lost).
Branded as a Switch will make it confusing for people who don’t do research on game systems. A blu ray player is a blu ray player type of people will buy the cheaper Switch and be surprised when it doesn’t Switch.

It’s a handheld that plays Switch games and is light on the original’s features, really not that fucking hard a concept to grasp

It’s a. switch that doesn’t.....Switch.
... And why is the Lite a laughable system yet nobody seem to bat an eye when people claim they want a screenless tv-only system?

I agree. It would also not Switch.

Zog

Banned
if they are planning a Lite and a Pro, it makes sense to drop the Lite this year and drop the Pro when the other console's next gen systems are announced, next year. that way the Pro can be a little more on par with the new gen refresh.

not getting it personally but I respect the hustle. Nintendo has a huge hit on their hands with the Switch. it's a no brainer to want to shift more units.
There is a reason they announced the Lite before the version 2.

Vawn

Banned

IF Nintendo ever releases a "Pro" Switch, it won't even be on par with a base PS4, much less a PS5.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

It’s a handheld that plays Switch games and is light on the original’s features, really not that fucking hard a concept to grasp... And why is the Lite a laughable system yet nobody seem to bat an eye when people claim they want a screenless tv-only system?

EDIT: And for the supposed “confusion” this will cause? There’s only two versions of Switch on market, the regular and the Lite. A parent asks for one, any retail employee should be able to ask which model and give bulletpoints to the differences. From there, consumer makes informed choice.Though given this is not a perfect world and many retail employees are actually major idiots (or just don’t care to know the products they carry), fault lies on the consumer that can’t research or read the packaging.
dude it's not a downgrade for handheld users ffs

bronk

Banned
I don't want a Switch I want a 3DS successor.... in my mind that's what the Switch Lite is. Soooo I'll take it. I guess I'm a dumb customer. I'll be having fun with it while you (the angered folk) scream at me and Nintendo to get fucked.....Jeez.

Only positive opinions are allowed. Got it!

Branded as a Switch will make it confusing for people who don’t do research on game systems. A blu ray player is a blu ray player type of people will buy the cheaper Switch and be surprised when it doesn’t Switch.

It’s a. switch that doesn’t.....Switch.

I agree. It would also not Switch.

I’m not saying anyone can not have opinions. But express them and move on. Why does it really have to be such a debate and why are those of us that are interested in theLite mocked over it. Different strokes, different folks. Nobody really needs to sit up here saying we’re “settling” for a product that has deemed value to us. I’m happy to give up the docking and joycons because my launch day switch never saw me use them. And yet I’m still keeping both of my regular switches even when I get the Lite.

How is it anymore confusing than the entire DS line was. I worked at Gamestop as a teen and can’t tell you how many people just came in wanting a “DS” for their kid but didn’t know the differences between the DS Lite, 3DS or 2DS. I took it on myself to inform them, asked them what games were they looking to get and broke down the info for them. If a consumer is that stupid, that’s their problem if they can’t read the box or the ads in the section or do an internet search.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I got my son the OG back near launch but now I'm getting a 1.01 for myself for Zelda Lonks Awakening and Pokemon. Already have a good catalog built up. Just wish it had trophy support...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Here's my plan to show how much efford I put into this.

Friday, after work, I'll check out my local target since I need to do groceries anyway. I'll walk by the electronics section and grab Switch Lite for my son if there's any left.

Otherwise, I'll grab a V2 switch. I really dont mind one way or another.

If its your sons only switch console, a v2 is the better option so he can play on TV too.

Zog

Banned
I’m not saying anyone can not have opinions. But express them and move on. Why does it really have to be such a debate and why are those of us that are interested in theLite mocked over it. Different strokes, different folks. Nobody really needs to sit up here saying we’re “settling” for a product that has deemed value to us. I’m happy to give up the docking and joycons because my launch day switch never saw me use them. And yet I’m still keeping both of my regular switches even when I get the Lite.

How is it anymore confusing than the entire DS line was. I worked at Gamestop as a teen and can’t tell you how many people just came in wanting a “DS” for their kid but didn’t know the differences between the DS Lite, 3DS or 2DS. I took it on myself to inform them, asked them what games were they looking to get and broke down the info for them. If a consumer is that stupid, that’s their problem if they can’t read the box or the ads in the section or do an internet search.
Ah yes, if your opinion isn’t positive, don’t debate with the people who have positive opinions. Nice.

Well, it’s more confusing than the DS line because it’s a Switch that doesn’t Switch. Switch Lite is akin to calling the 2DS a 3DS Lite.

bronk

Banned
Ah yes, if your opinion isn’t positive, don’t debate with the people who have positive opinions. Nice.

Well, it’s more confusing than the DS line because it’s a Switch that doesn’t Switch. Switch Lite is akin to calling the 2DS a 3DS Lite.
Random old ladies and moms buying game stuff for their kids are always confused since the dawn of time. Are you looking out for all potential confusees? They are gonna sell a shit load that's all Nintendo cares about.

I'm dumb because I'm buying a switch lite so excuse made up words

Not even remotely what I said, but clearly your comprehension sucks...

Anywho, the DS line was far more confusing between the three generations. Only tying factor: could play regular DS games and all had a dual screen. The name was kept because of the software which is the same for the Switch.

The Lite plays SWITCH games in handheld only mode. That’s the point. 2DS played 3DS games without 3D. Was never an issue that the 3D feature was removed and the naming convention was still essentially the same. Both still played on the base hardwares’ names/concepts. Why is this so hard to understand?

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned

I assume it didn’t surprise you that Nintendo introduced a smaller, cheaper Switch. If we grant that 1) they were smart to, because money and 2) they had to maintain brand recognition, because consumer clarity and money, what else could they call it?

Zog

Banned
I assume it didn’t surprise you that Nintendo introduced a smaller, cheaper Switch. If we grant that 1) they were smart to, because money and 2) they had to maintain brand recognition, because consumer clarity and money, what else could they call it?
What else could they call it? Not my job to answer that but someone at Nintendo knew not to name the 2DS the 3DS Lite.

Lite
/līt/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: lite
INFORMAL
  • denoting a simpler or less challenging version of a particular thing or person.
    "the film was dismissed by many of the more serious critics as Woody Allen lite"

Oh, look... Official definition. So, let’s break this down again, children: A Nintendo Switch that has had some of its features removed yet still performs the essential function of playing the titular software is, ergo, a Switch that is *gasp* lite on the original defining features aka a Switch Lite

Zog

Banned
Lite
/līt/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: lite
INFORMAL
  • denoting a simpler or less challenging version of a particular thing or person.
    "the film was dismissed by many of the more serious critics as Woody Allen lite"

Oh, look... Official definition. So, let’s break this down again, children: A Nintendo Switch that has had some of its features removed yet still performs the essential function of playing the titular software is, ergo, a Switch that is *gasp* lite on the original defining features aka a Switch Lite

So do you think they should have called the 2DS the 3DS Lite as well?

Zog

Banned
To quote you: Not my job to answer.

To quote me eh? I am not asking you to come up with a name, I am asking you if you think that 3DS Lite would have been a good name for the 2DS.

I think it's obvious that you don't think that 3DS Lite would have been a good name and why? Well, maybe it's because the defining feature of the system for which it was named had been removed. How is it different with the Switch?

Last edited:
To quote me eh? I am not asking you to come up with a name, I am asking you if you think that 3DS Lite would have been a good name for the 2DS.

I think it's obvious that you don't think that 3DS Lite would have been a good name and why? Well, maybe it's because the defining feature of the system for which it was named had been removed. How is it different with the Switch?

It’s not obvious because I never answered either way to your inquiry.

But I do believe the naming convention could have gone either way. Major difference, both still played the same software. Switch Lite still plays Switch games, even if it can’t switch. 2DS still plays 3DS games, even though there’s no 3D. The semantics are moot. Why are we still even going in circles about this? You don’t want a Lite, you think the Lite (and its naming convention which wholly makes sense) is dumb and a waste. Let it go...

Zog

Banned
It’s not obvious because I never answered either way to your inquiry.

But I do believe the naming convention could have gone either way. Major difference, both still played the same software. Switch Lite still plays Switch games, even if it can’t switch. 2DS still plays 3DS games, even though there’s no 3D. The semantics are moot. Why are we still even going in circles about this? You don’t want a Lite, you think the Lite (and its naming convention which wholly makes sense) is dumb and a waste. Let it go...

So you do think the 3DS Lite would have been a fine name for the 2DS? Why are we still talking about this? I just want to nail down your hypocrisy (if there is any).

So you do think the 3DS Lite would have been a fine name for the 2DS? Why are we still talking about this? I just want to nail down your hypocrisy (if there is any).

Yep. It skimped on a major defining feature of the 3DS just as the Lite skimps on some of the Switch’s. They are both Lites. One just ended up with a catchier naming convention that still fell in line with its predecessor system.

Zog

Banned
Yep. It skimped on a major defining feature of the 3DS just as the Lite skimps on some of the Switch’s. They are both Lites. One just ended up with a catchier naming convention that still fell in line with its predecessor system.

I see, so when parents wondered why their kids 3DS Lite didn't have the 3D feature they should just be told 'hey, it said Lite on the box and you should know exactly what that means'.

Last edited:
I see, so when parents wondered why their kids 3DS Lite didn't have the 3D feature they should just be told 'hey, it said Lite on the box and you should know exactly what that means'.

Exactly. Consumers are generally idiots. It’s no different than an oblivious parent purchasing a ticket to Sausage Party because they saw the animation and assumed off the bat it was a kids’ movie. I had plenty of people come in asking where were the 2DS games when the box clearly said it played 3DS and DS games.

Look at Amazon’s pages for the Lite and original Switch. Theygo above and beyond to break down the differences and even in a series of questions (with attached links) what is it the consumer is looking to get out of the Switch so as to point them to the likely fit for said person’s needs/wants.

But seriously, if you’re stupid enough to just take something at face value and not read the packaging which clearly outlines the contents of what you’re buying, how is that the company’s fault? It speaks more on your lacking as an intelligible being that shouldn’t be trusted to make even simple decisions for yourself, especially if you see two different forms of packaging and pick the wrong thing because you don’t want to take two goddamned seconds to ask for help or read the box

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
But seriously, if you’re stupid enough to just take something at face value and not read the packaging which clearly outlines the contents of what you’re buying, how is that the company’s fault?

Hmm, I guess if McDonald's named their hamburger a cheeseburger people might blame McDonald's when they order a cheeseburger and get a burger with no cheese. They might assume that because it's called a Cheeseburger that it would have cheese on it but they would just be too stupid to read the menu properly, right?

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess if McDonald's named their hamburger a cheeseburger people might blame McDonald's when they order a cheeseburger and get a burger with no cheese. They might assume that because it's called a Cheeseburger that it would have cheese on it but they would just too stupid to read the menu properly, right?

I’m going to hazard a guess at this point that you simply enjoy arguing for the sake of trying to make a nonexistent point... You’ve brought nothing of validity to this back and forth just because you want to pound your chest and claim you’re in the right. I’ve given actual valid examples as to how and why the name is fine and why the Lite is a good addition to a certain segment of the market yet you sit here making the most ridiculous scenarios that make no sense in the slightest... If you’re just a manner of troll, then well done on your persistent charade.

Frankly I'm tired of Nintendo's duplicity. I should have learned the first time around when Nintendo sold me a Gamecube that didn't have equal dimensions on all sides. It's a Gamecuboid you fucking shysters.

Zog

Banned
I’m going to hazard a guess at this point that you simply enjoy arguing for the sake of trying to make a nonexistent point... You’ve brought nothing of validity to this back and forth just because you want to pound your chest and claim you’re in the right. I’ve given actual valid examples as to how and why the name is fine and why the Lite is a good addition to a certain segment of the market yet you sit here making the most ridiculous scenarios that make no sense in the slightest... If you’re just a manner of troll, then well done on your persistent charade.

You gave a dictionary definition. Let's hope Wal Mart, Target and other stores have that definition printed up and put on the glass where they keep the Switch Lite consoles. They may also want to define what Lite means IN THIS CASE. With the DS, Lite meant it was lighter and had a brighter backlight but no features were lost so customers might not know what 'Lite' means in this case.

You just blow off the fact that Switch is in the name because it suits you. Lite does not mean 'lacks main named feature'.

Shouta

I don't want a Switch I want a 3DS successor.... in my mind that's what the Switch Lite is. Soooo I'll take it. I guess I'm a dumb customer. I'll be having fun with it while you (the angered folk) scream at me and Nintendo to get fucked.....Jeez.

That's basically what it is. It's mostly like a slightly larger PSP, honestly. It feels real nice in your hands and I kinda like the buttons on it more than I do the standard Switch.

You gave a dictionary definition. Let's hope Wal Mart, Target and other stores have that definition printed up and put on the glass where they keep the Switch Lite consoles. They may also want to define what Lite means IN THIS CASE. With the DS, Lite meant it was lighter and had a brighter backlight but no features were lost so customers might not know what 'Lite' means in this case.

You just blow off the fact that Switch is in the name because it suits you. Lite does not mean 'lacks main named feature'.

Switch form factor with joycons fused to the unit, lacks tv output, lacks a kickstand. Yet the most important feature is that it plays the Switch library of software, the whole fucking point of the system.

DS Lite was still a DS. It was smaller but a fucking DS.

Again, if a consumer is that dumb, they have bigger issues to worry about. Like the idiot lady that ignored the “Contents may be hot” warning on her mcdonalds coffee cup and got burned, or the pearl-clutching parent that purchases Grand Theft Auto 5 for her 6 year old in spite of the rating and list of contents on the game box then acting surprised that sexual themes and violence are a major component of the game.

What you’re essentially saying is that the consumer must be catered to like a baby and choices be damned for those with different tastes and that things should just be simple And the Lite shouldn’t exist. Got it. Perhaps Nintendo should hire you. That’ll solve everything.

Now, it’s been fun, but I have a sick child with a 102 degree fever now awake and screaming. Let’s hope I manage to read the medicine bottle properly and not overdose her because by your logic, a consumer shouldn’t have to be bothered with simple reading skills nor be informed and responsible.

Zog

Banned
Now, it’s been fun, but I have a sick child with a 102 degree fever now awake and screaming. Let’s hope I manage to read the medicine bottle properly and not overdose her because by your logic, a consumer shouldn’t have to be bothered with simple reading skills nor be informed and responsible.

By your logic, a company shouldn't be bothered with not giving their product a misleading name.

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone know if it'll be easy to transfer saves between systems if your Switch Lite is your second Switch? I know you can transfer files through Nintendo Online but I'm hoping there's an easier solution and one that doesn't involve paying a monthly fee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom