• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who is getting a Switch Lite this friday?

No, the Switch lite is like a retarded little brother to the Switch that is utterly pointless.

Classy.

It's funny that you'd use such a categorical word when you haven't held the system or used it in its intended use case vs the original Switch (I'm assuming--feel free to correct me and call me other choice words if I'm wrong).

bronk

Banned
Switch Lite haters are bullies. 😢

Console civil war being laid upon us. Us Lite lovers aren't hating on the original Switch!

Lite lovers>>>Original lovers

Last edited:

Rodolink

The switch 1.2 has better battery than the lite. But at least it's 100 bucks cheaper and that's great. Most parents will see the price first.

DESTROYA

Just to clarify I have no problem with the Lite but some of you guys got to grow a thicker skin , a lot of people commented on whether they are buying the Lite or not and whatever legitimate reasons some people gave good or bad you guys took it personally.
For some people a cheaper slightly more portable console is ideal but being excited about a smaller Switch when the OG is far superior in every way besides battery life is not a big deal to others.
I think it will sell really well and boost the Switch to even greater heights but like I said in a earlier post for most that already have a Switch it’s not that big a deal.

MagnesG

Banned
Just to clarify I have no problem with the Lite but some of you guys got to grow a thicker skin , a lot of people commented on whether they are buying the Lite or not and whatever legitimate reasons some people gave good or bad you guys took it personally.
For some people a cheaper slightly more portable console is ideal but being excited about a smaller Switch when the OG is far superior in every way besides battery life is not a big deal to others.
I think it will sell really well and boost the Switch to even greater heights but like I said in a earlier post for most that already have a Switch it’s not that big a deal.
The form factor is not superior for handheld use. The dpad. The solid, not squishy build. Wtf, that's just you focing your opinion, man.

They need a form factor to replace the 3ds line. Part of the Switch plan was to consolidate both handheld and console development pipelines into one and sell across multiple form factors.

They probably should have given it a unique title, like Sega did with the Nomad. Even TurboExpress got the idea across perfectly.

GamesAreFun

Banned
They need a form factor to replace the 3ds line. Part of the Switch plan was to consolidate both handheld and console development pipelines into one and sell across multiple form factors.

I think the important part is the price. Here in the UK, the 3DS sold terribly until the price was dropped under the £150 mark, and then it sold well again when the even cheaper 2DS released. I still think the Switch Lite is too expensive personally to buy as a present for young childen (£200), they need to knock another 25% off.

DESTROYA

The form factor is not superior for handheld use. The dpad. The solid, not squishy build. Wtf, that's just you focing your opinion, man.
Like I said some people take it personal.
I like the idea of the Switch Lite but not being able to “Switch” is pretty lame.

Havoc2049

I’m getting a turquoise Switch Lite, carrying case and Astral Chain. My launch 3DS is turquoise as well. For all the hatters, my mom isn’t buying it for me because it’s cheap, I’m not poor, not retarded and I’m a hardcore gamer. Cracks me up that people who own the weakest console this gen are acting like a bunch of elitist with the Lite. I like Nintendo handhelds and the Switch platform has some nice Japanese 3rd party exclusives on it that I want to play.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Pretty rich to accuse the other side of taking it personal when you're stating your viewpoint as fact.
Thanks! Trust me I take nothing personal on message boards.
I’ve stated many times I like the idea of the Lite it’s just not that compelling when it comes down to what the OG Switch was originally designed to do play games both at home and on the go.

PRO’s

Cheaper
D-pad that’s better but still not amazing compared to past Nintendo D-pad’s
Better Battery life
Easier to play in handheld mode because it weighs less

CON’s

No Rumble
No TV mode
No kickstand
No motion controls
No tabletop mode since joycons cannot be detached
Some games won't work as easily because of compatibility ( see above )
Smaller screen

Saying that I think Nintendo will sell a ton of these and I’m not sure why your saying things like I have to pick a side because I have OG Switch.
I bought the Switch mainly intended as a handheld to begin with then got a nice new TV and tried it docked and WOW what a difference it made ,hardly use handheld mode anymore.After replaying games I played in handheld mode on the big TV it just doesn’t compare.
I completed BOTW and a lot of other games in handheld mode and had a blast , but when I went back to the game on the new TV it’s just so much better on the bigger screen and at least now I have a option for either mode.
Stop trying to make it a Lite vs a regular Switch thing because it’s not . Hope everyone loves the Lite and to those waiting for a less expensive pure portable option it’s finally here and glad to see more people enjoy the Switch in whatever model they decide to get because this gen Nintendo really has some amazing games.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Like I said some people take it personal.
I like the idea of the Switch Lite but not being able to “Switch” is pretty lame.

I tend to assume that Nintendo have at least some idea what they are doing. They will also have access to a lot of aggregated user data that tells them how people are using these products, and their reaction based on that data was to release two new models - the first one is essentially identical in performance terms to the original except that it has longer battery life (which is only useful to people that are using it as a portable system). The second eliminates the docked mode entirely and is only usable in portable mode.

My inference from this is that their user data indicates that enough people are using the Switch entirely or largely in portable mode that it makes sense to adjust their product strategy to recognize this.

MagnesG

Banned
Thanks! Trust me I take nothing personal on message boards.
I’ve stated many times I like the idea of the Lite it’s just not that compelling when it comes down to what the OG Switch was originally designed to do play games both at home and on the go.

PRO’s

Cheaper
D-pad that’s better but still not amazing compared to past Nintendo D-pad’s
Better Battery life
Easier to play in handheld mode because it weighs less

CON’s

No Rumble
No TV mode
No kickstand
No motion controls
No tabletop mode since joycons cannot be detached
Some games won't work as easily because of compatibility ( see above )
Smaller screen

Saying that I think Nintendo will sell a ton of these and I’m not sure why your saying things like I have to pick a side because I have OG Switch.
I bought the Switch mainly intended as a handheld to begin with then got a nice new TV and tried it docked and WOW what a difference it made ,hardly use handheld mode anymore.After replaying games I played in handheld mode on the big TV it just doesn’t compare.
I completed BOTW and a lot of other games in handheld mode and had a blast , but when I went back to the game on the new TV it’s just so much better on the bigger screen and at least now I have a option for either mode.
Stop trying to make it a Lite vs a regular Switch thing because it’s not . Hope everyone loves the Lite and to those waiting for a less expensive pure portable option it’s finally here and glad to see more people enjoy the Switch in whatever model they decide to get because this gen Nintendo really has some amazing games.
It has motion control, tryhard. Again featuring other mode like tabletop, it's a HANDHELD ffs.

IKSTUGA

Really tempting, but I think I'm going to pass. Don't really need a dedicated handheld device at the moment.

SantaC

Got mine

zMEeJESr.jpg

dmzLOkN.jpg

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
was gonna get one but got the standard 2019 model.

why:

1. it can actually Switch between handheld, docked, tabletop.
2. larger screen.
3. significantly better battery life. with the Lite being a dedicated handheld and only offering a mere ~30 minutes over the original model is an absolute joke.
4. better sound
5. rumble feedback.
6. if the controllers mess up then i can just replace them and not the entire console.

probably more reasons but those 6 are just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It has motion control, tryhard. Again featuring other mode like tabletop, it's a HANDHELD ffs.
It has a Accelerometer / gyroscope no motion controls ffs. It can’t do this which is actually pretty cool.

And no way to use it with Ring Fit. Stop crying!

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
It has a Accelerometer / gyroscope no motion controls ffs. It can’t do this which is actually pretty cool.

And no way to use it with Ring Fit. Stop crying!

Okay, that is quite a valid point. Still, there's no problem on using it like gyro sniping in botw for example, or Splatoon motion aiming. You literally said there's no motion controls whatsoever which is wrong.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would but any good games on it? My last Nintendo device was NES.
Literally thousands of games, many exclusives. Depends on what you're into.

Vawn

Banned
dude it's not a downgrade for handheld users ffs

I guess that's how you see it.

It's a much shorter battery than the current regular Switch. It has a smaller screen. It has no rumble feature whatsoever. There is no kickstand for table-top play. And, of course, you lose the option to play on a big screen completely.

SantaC

It's a much shorter battery than the current regular Switch. It has a smaller screen. It has no rumble feature whatsoever. There is no kickstand for table-top play. And, of course, you lose the option to play on a big screen completely.
After spending time with a switch lite today :

-Super sleek and lightweight
-Good d pad and buttons
-rumble isnt needed
-big screen tv isnt a big loss for me. I dont like 720p gaming on a 4K tv anyway.

Last edited:

It's a better portable system because it feels better to play in handheld mode (like a LOT better) . If you haven't played it, you won't know what we're talking about.

jts

...hate me...
Must be mind blowing to play this level of games on such a compact system.

Still sticking with the OG, mind, but I see the appeal.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'll never understand the hate for Lite. Noone is taking your OG away. Is it a good value? Maybe (not) - it's really individual, but it is 1/3 cheaper than OG, for many that's a good proposition.

Yes, the lite is an excellent system in its own right.

Grechy34

Hilarious. This thread has become an OG switch vs Lite Switch pissing contest.

The internet is full of absolute dweebs. Enjoy what you have and what accommodates your lifestyle and person preference & if you can afford both, that's great too. Jesus people.

Max_Po

Banned
If it had OLED screen I would.

I think the switch itself is portable enough and its a huge waste of money.

Don't call me a cheapskate or burger flipper... I just spent 500 us on a brand new Skeleton ED SEGA SATURN ....

Last edited:

The internet is full of absolute dweebs. Enjoy what you have and what accommodates your lifestyle and person preference & if you can afford both, that's great too. Jesus people.

I don't have any beef with the OG Switch. It's the purists who are crazy.

I already think the Switch Lite is great. My only regret is needing another SD card.

bosnianpie

Gaming fans are the worst. We can't really enjoy anything. Fighting about size, screen resolution, pads, colors, battery life, fps and God knows what. Instead of playing Link's Awakening, one of the best games ever in my humble opinion.

Switch Lite probably brought a ton of new players to the Nintendo ecosystem, something all Switch players will benefit from in the long run. Why on earth is that a bad thing?

"It can't dock and has 30 minutes less battery life!" :messenger_loudly_crying:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking forward to the Lite teardowns that'll determine whether this was a necessary technical limitation or just a way to keep the OG Switch differentiated.

Here is a pretty good teardown, looks like a lot of the thermal solution is largely the same (same fan, same heat pipe) as the original Switch.

So it looks like the decision to restrict TV out isn't based on CPU clock speeds which would be the logical reason.

Top Bottom