• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who is getting a Switch Lite this friday?

V2Tommy

Headphone jack at the top? Jesus, after decades of Japanese electronics, how can Nintendo not test their own products? This is right up there with the Dreamcast's controller bottom cord feed. They put a notch to hold up at the top... why not just put it there in the first place?

MagnesG

Banned

Here is a pretty good teardown, looks like a lot of the thermal solution is largely the same (same fan, same heat pipe) as the original Switch.

So it looks like the decision to restrict TV out isn't based on CPU clock speeds which would be the logical reason.

There's nothing definite until you can test the handheld running on TV mode, with sustainable performance for a long periods of time. Even if all of that could happen, there's still no guarantee that it can't bring out any hazards to the users, per handheld by case. Not until Nintendo would guarantee it themselves, like their flawed joystick.

In the early days we had some Switches being fried due to overclocking (before any proper documentation) where some don't, for example.

Codes 208

Caved in and bought the Aqua model. I have fairly medium sized hands so this sleeker version actually molds well into my hands. Feels real good and light compared to the OG.

Giving me some serious gba + vita vibes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm tempted to get that pokemon themed one when it drops. Been wanting a switch for a long time
that's definitely the best looking one imo. the engravings of the pokemon on the back ruin it though.

not that i'm gonna be buying a Lite but i'm warming up to the yellow model. the grey one looks better in person than photos. i just can't get used to the blue one.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
that's definitely the best looking one imo. the engravings of the pokemon on the back ruin it though.

not that i'm gonna be buying a Lite but i'm warming up to the yellow model. the grey one looks better in person than photos. i just can't get used to the blue one.
The yellow one is bananas :messenger_grinning_sweat:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The yellow one is bananas :messenger_grinning_sweat:
reminds me of my old gameboy color

Here is a pretty good teardown, looks like a lot of the thermal solution is largely the same (same fan, same heat pipe) as the original Switch.

So it looks like the decision to restrict TV out isn't based on CPU clock speeds which would be the logical reason.

thanks for sharing. love tear downs. that guys voice is annoying though.

Last edited:

lachesis

As much as I'd like to get - but small letters are killer for me. Sucks to be old. :(
Most likely would buy a new version of Switch or perhaps wait for the Switch Pro....

Once, handheld games were my go-to gaming fix (GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP and Vita) - but since vita, I've noticed they're putting a lot of smaller text... (or maybe old eyes finally caught up with it) - I've haven't been enjoying it as much as I used to. Tried BOTW on my child's switch, but I couldn't enjoy as much as big screen.

DiscoJer

I think they use smaller text because the resolution is higher. With lower res screens, you couldn't really have small text, because you could literally see the pixels

But as I think I said earlier in the thread, I think it's going to be a problem with the Lite, as the text is apparently designed for a TV, not a tiny screen. You damn near need a magnifying class for some text. They have a zoom function (have to enable it in settings) but it's very difficult to use and has an overlay over the screen.

Weilthain

Banned
I just bought the yellow one. Really comfy to hold and is way lighter.

Buttons feel nicer than the joycons and the dpad is a nice spongy one the way it should be.

TLZ

Banned
As much as I'd like to get - but small letters are killer for me. Sucks to be old. :(
Most likely would buy a new version of Switch or perhaps wait for the Switch Pro....

Once, handheld games were my go-to gaming fix (GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP and Vita) - but since vita, I've noticed they're putting a lot of smaller text... (or maybe old eyes finally caught up with it) - I've haven't been enjoying it as much as I used to. Tried BOTW on my child's switch, but I couldn't enjoy as much as big screen.
Need one of those reading glasses for old people :pie_grinning_sweat:

lachesis

Need one of those reading glasses for old people :pie_grinning_sweat:
Lol my ego forbids wearing them - it’s like admitting in public that I am super old! My optometrist doesn’t think I need them just yet - so I won’t be wearing!!

Although... I tried my friend’s reading glasses, and it was obvious that I could read small letters better with it. Sad moment if truth... lol

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
Lol my ego forbids wearing them - it’s like admitting in public that I am super old! My optometrist doesn’t think I need them just yet - so I won’t be wearing!!

Although... I tried my friend’s reading glasses, and it was obvious that I could read small letters better with it. Sad moment if truth... lol
I know what you mean, but at the end of the day, it's life. Better to accept than live in denial :)

Also, if you're playing at home, who cares. Public can't see you :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its funny, when you're young you tend to think that short-sightedness is the big problem as you age, when its in fact turned out that in the digital age long-sightedness is a far bigger issue. Sure, if you're long-sighted watching TV is fine and you're in no danger of bumping into walls... but reading small text in books, magazines and on handheld/mobile electronics can be a real pain in the ass.

lachesis

I know what you mean, but at the end of the day, it's life. Better to accept than live in denial :)

Also, if you're playing at home, who cares. Public can't see you :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Ah, that there is the dilemma. I love how switch light looks, but it can’t be docked. At home I would love to play on 65 inch oled!
Its funny, when you're young you tend to think that short-sightedness is the big problem as you age, when its in fact turned out that in the digital age long-sightedness is a far bigger issue. Sure, if you're long-sighted watching TV is fine and you're in no danger of bumping into walls... but reading small text in books, magazines and on handheld/mobile electronics can be a real pain in the ass.
Sadly I am both! I can’t see far without my contacts either. And I absolutely will not, get a bifocals to play switch light on the go. Lol

Then again, I’ve noticed that I use my Phone flashlight to illuminate and use the camera to zoom the menus in dark restaurants. these days... certainly a mood breaker when you go on a date!

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I'm looking forward to the Lite teardowns that'll determine whether this was a necessary technical limitation or just a way to keep the OG Switch differentiated.

Update: got this question answered. It's not a marketing issue -- the video-out components are simply not present.

Birdo

Banned
Update: got this question answered. It's not a marketing issue -- the video-out components are simply not present.

I still think it will happen at the hands of bored modders.

But it will be a hefty mod including soldering an extra board or something (Not some simple hack or anything).

Last edited:

xool

£225 with BoTW or other games at PCWorld/Currys on the UK right now.

Same price as I paid for a white PS4 years ago .. not bad // not great

I was gonna get my first Switch this Christmas, but then I started hearing all these stories about stick drift. And there's no way I'm going through more Dual Shock 4 shit again.

DESTROYA

I still think it will happen at the hands of bored modders.

But it will be a hefty mod including soldering an extra board or something (Not some simple hack or anything).
If your going to go to that length and trouble might as well get a regular switch, it’ll save you time money and frustration and still have a warranty if anything goes wrong.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I ordered a second Switch Lite yesterday because Rakuten had their monthly site-wide 15% off promo code and it brought the price down to $169.99.

TheContact

Headphone jack at the top? Jesus, after decades of Japanese electronics, how can Nintendo not test their own products? This is right up there with the Dreamcast's controller bottom cord feed. They put a notch to hold up at the top... why not just put it there in the first place?

why is this a bad thing? if the headphone jack is at the bottom, you effectively can't rest the switch on your chest if you're lying down in bed to play

TheContact

i was talking about the person you quoted silly tits :messenger_blowing_kiss:

i see, but it may not be an idiotic comment. maybe there's some truth to why a bottom placement is good? would be interesting to hear his perspective on it rather than calling it an idiot comment imo

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i see, but it may not be an idiotic comment. maybe there's some truth to why a bottom placement is good? would be interesting to hear his perspective on it rather than calling it an idiot comment imo
nope it's stupid as hell

Grinchy

Banned
The benefit of the bottom placement is that the cord doesn't drape over the screen and you don't have to think about having it wrapped around the back of the system to keep it from doing that. But it also means it can't really be placed on its bottom edge anymore because the headphone cable is now in the way.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It has a Accelerometer / gyroscope no motion controls ffs. It can’t do this which is actually pretty cool.

And no way to use it with Ring Fit. Stop crying!

This video sold me on that game. Thank you!

RE4 Wii is my favorite RE title, in large part due to the aiming controls.

V2Tommy

yup idiot comment of the month

Top headphone jack:
-GBA SP (with dongle)
-Wii U
-Switch
-Switch Lite

Bottom headphone jack:
-GameBoy
-GameBoy Light
-GameBoy Color
-Gameboy Advance
-GBA Micro
-DS
-DSi
-DS Lite
-DS XL
-2DS
-3DS
-New 3DS/XL

I mean, like, you're suggesting there's no precedent or logic for top placement in a portable Nintendo product? Be for real, dude. The reason (like the Wii U) it was moved topside was to accommodate the dock. Now that it doesn't dock, it should've been moved back down.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Top headphone jack:
-GBA SP (with dongle)
-Wii U
-Switch
-Switch Lite

Bottom headphone jack:
-GameBoy
-GameBoy Light
-GameBoy Color
-Gameboy Advance
-GBA Micro
-DS
-DSi
-DS Lite
-DS XL
-2DS
-3DS
-New 3DS/XL

I mean, like, you're suggesting there's no precedent or logic for top placement in a portable Nintendo product? Be for real, dude. The reason (like the Wii U) it was moved topside was to accommodate the dock. Now that it doesn't dock, it should've been moved back down.
lay in bed on your back now play the switch lite. shit that headphone extension is poking me.
this is dumb glad nintendo put it on the top

If ANYTHING nintendo is dumb for not putting the charging port on TOP since you can't dock the system anymore

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Top headphone jack:
-GBA SP (with dongle)
-Wii U
-Switch
-Switch Lite

Bottom headphone jack:
-GameBoy
-GameBoy Light
-GameBoy Color
-Gameboy Advance
-GBA Micro
-DS
-DSi
-DS Lite
-DS XL
-2DS
-3DS
-New 3DS/XL

Keeping it in line with the regular Switch makes sense from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint and accessory compatibility etc. (for example the charging stand).

V2Tommy

Think about the gba sp and how that would fly today.

You needed to buy an adapter to use headphones.

I repeat, you needed an adapter to use headphones.

The adapters are for the headphones, not the device. Suddenly, your old headphones have the new, proprietary plug. No problem!

Not even sarcasm.

Dreyvas

Neo Member
Between the Switch Lite/Joy-Con drift issues and the pro controller d-pad issues what's the optimal controller at this point? Third party?

I changed my mind on the Switch Lite version since it also suffers from drift... Now I'd rather wait on a PRO version if they ever announce it.

m.i.s.

Banned
Having played the lite, I can say that, as a big handheld gamer, it's not for me.

Classic, textbook "falls between two stools" product. Not small enough to be a handheld and missing key features of the full product. I guess, too, that NSW is designed to be played on a big TV first and foremost. The games are designed to be played on a TV.

And, to say, this thing is huge -- as wide as an A4 piece of paper and wider than a PS One console. PS Vita is an almost perfect size for handheld. This is not.

Usual sh!tty design and business decisions from Nintendo then. :-/

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I bought a lite to go along with my OG and I love it, I leave my original switch docked and bring my lite with me for the portability, I think it feels a little better

jts

...hate me...
Having played the lite, I can say that, as a big handheld gamer, it's not for me.

Classic, textbook "falls between two stools" product. Not small enough to be a handheld and missing key features of the full product. I guess, too, that NSW is designed to be played on a big TV first and foremost. The games are designed to be played on a TV.

And, to say, this thing is huge -- as wide as an A4 piece of paper and wider than a PS One console. PS Vita is an almost perfect size for handheld. This is not.

Usual sh!tty design and business decisions from Nintendo then. :-/
How is it a shitty business decision because you don’t like it? I guess the perfect Vita must have been amazing business then, oh lawd.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
to be honest i wouldn't mind a Lite but it would be a downgrade for me. my Switch has a much better battery life and unless Nintendo has significantly improved their buttons/sticks then i ain't touching it. every Switch i've owned (4 of them) have had an issue with joycons and needed replaced. losing connection. buttons sticking. buttons feeling like they have no travel/click to them....and of course the analog stick drifting.

it's a bullshit situation but at least with the standard Switch I can send the joycons in to be repaired/replaced or worst case i buy new ones. if that Lite has any problems then well i'm saying good bye to the entire thing.

Jooxed

Gold Member
to be honest i wouldn't mind a Lite but it would be a downgrade for me. my Switch has a much better battery life and unless Nintendo has significantly improved their buttons/sticks then i ain't touching it. every Switch i've owned (4 of them) have had an issue with joycons and needed replaced. losing connection. buttons sticking. buttons feeling like they have no travel/click to them....and of course the analog stick drifting.

it's a bullshit situation but at least with the standard Switch I can send the joycons in to be repaired/replaced or worst case i buy new ones. if that Lite has any problems then well i'm saying good bye to the entire thing.

Yeah if you have the v2 switch I wouldn't do it.

1.) I really only did it because it has a sharper screen so a lot of the games look noticeably better on the lite screen, Also I have big hangs but the lite still feels better handheld to me for some reason. The OG just kinda feels clunky
2.) Im a nerdy Nintendo Fanboy, and I thought it would be neat to use both and have a docked switch and this one to bring with me. Though i will say when/if the pro comes out I will probably gift my lite
3.) It was a gift from my wife

Phase

I've wanted a switch for a while and the Lite's price-point isn't bad, but with the joy-can issues still existing, battery life still only slightly improved, and no docking ability to play on TV I can't say I'm interested in it.

m.i.s.

Banned
How is it a shitty business decision because you don’t like it? I guess the perfect Vita must have been amazing business then, oh lawd.

Because it's a textbook "between two stools" product. It's not small enough to replace a handheld product and misses key features of it's original product.

And sales figures bear this out. I mean it's even being outsold by the original in Japan [by an order of margin] for goodness sake.

That sales figures coincide with me not liking it is just a coincidence.

jts

...hate me...
Because it's a textbook "between two stools" product. It's not small enough to replace a handheld product and misses key features of it's original product.

And sales figures bear this out. I mean it's even being outsold by the original in Japan [by an order of margin] for goodness sake.

That sales figures coincide with me not liking it is just a coincidence.
There’s nothing strange about being outsold by the main model with the joy-cons, dock and all the USP of the original Switch proposition. The Switch Lite came to pick up additional sales that otherwise wouldn’t exist. It didn’t come to replace the main model.

The 2DS didn’t outsell the 3DS XL for example, and this is to be expected.

Jooxed

Gold Member
can you use your same account?

Yes you can, You have to set your switch lite to your primary switch because the secondary switch needs to be able to access the internet to make sure the game isn't being played on the other device. So it is better for the portable to be the primary. The only hassle really is games that don't support cloud saves, you have to send the saves back and forth between the two systems .(So far its Splatoon 2, Pokemon Lets Go, Dark Souls and Upcoming Pokemon Shield) It only takes a couple seconds but yeah Nintendo is gonna Nintendo

Top Bottom