• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why are you and your entire extended families buying Nintendo Switch?

Do you, or a close relative/friend of yours, have a Switch?

• Yes.

Votes: 134 72.4%
  • Not to my knowledge.

Votes: 51 27.6%

• Total voters

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Bought it when it was released, Nintendo games are my favorite games, Mario is my favorite franchise and I have been loyal to the company since the NES/SNES days. The Switch is my main console.

My sis purchased it during the summer to play Animal Crossing. Haven't really seen her touch it since haha.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I bought the launch model, was disappointed. It is an extremely poor offering as a home console.
I gave a second chance to the console in 100% handheld mode with a Lite, deciding to ignore all these bigger first/third person games and making a library of smaller games. The Lite feels okay for this usage, but I still don't play it that much.

Would recommend the Lite to people wanting a decent dedicated handheld experience. Vita is a much better handheld though.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I had a Switch since launch since I liked the idea of having a personal device which I can easily take with me (traveled quite a lot for work).
My brother bought one late in 2018 mainly to have access to Nintendo games (Mario Bros, Party etc). Also a lot of friends who never had a Nintendo console bought it as a great indies machine and/or to play games like Diablo 3 mobile. So I think the main reason is that it appeals to casual gamers that normally play on their smartphone but lack some real buttons there. It's definitely not for the ones that want the latest high res AAA games.

Initially, I planed to have it in addition to my PS4 Pro. Surprisingly, and especially when I became a father, I have not touched the PS4 anymore, eventually sold it and bought more games for the Switch. It all boils down to your gaming preferences.

Mr Branding

First ever Nintendo platform, fell in love with the system, especially it’s hybrid capabilities.
I find that modern cinematic games don’t do it for me anymore and I barely have the time for couch gaming in front of a big screen.
It’s library is also great so far and it’s getting even better in the future.

Saruhashi

Banned
Epic post by just the type of poster i was hoping to get to speak on this thread. Help me out here: If i got a switch, could i play like every flagship Zelda released this century? Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, obviously botw..? And what about Metroid Prime?

LOL. What is this post?

"Oh guys can you help me out here? Will I be able to play <list of games not available> on this console?"

You can't just Google that stuff?

"Oh I guess I'm good for now. I thought there would be more Zelda and Metroid content."

So the thread was really "does the Switch have all the Zelda games and all the Meteoid games"?

What's with the weird set up just to ask a question you could Google the answer to?

Last edited:

Tschumi

LOL. What is this post?

"Oh guys can you help me out here? Will I be able to play <list of games not available> on this console?"

You can't just Google that stuff?

"Oh I guess I'm good for now. I thought there would be more Zelda and Metroid content."
what the fuck? are you high?

you come to a thread geared solely towards sharing opinions about the switch and all you can fucking do is troll me about the wording of my post?

there's only one post here that's a waste of fucking space lol

got anything to share about the nintendo switch? nimrod

Saruhashi

Banned
what the fuck? are you high?

you come to a thread geared solely towards sharing opinions about the switch and all you can fucking do is troll me about the wording of my post?

there's only one post here that's a waste of fucking space lol

got anything to share about the nintendo switch? nimrod

Haha. Well, that escalated quickly.

"Apparently it doesnt have Metroid Prime Trilogy."

Apparently. LOL.

"Help me out here..."

Fuck off. You think this is Gamestop or something? LOL.

The best thing about the Switch is being able to play Dark Souls Trilogy, Zelda 35th Anniversary Collection and Fallout New Vegas on the go.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I love mine. Aside from some shitty third-party ports it's a great console, has lots of exclusives and it's also perfect as an indie-game handheld machine.

And the deal only get's better if you are able to hack it and put in some emulators or sweet homebrews like moonlight, which allows you to play PC games streamed to the Switch.

Overall it's great, but we could really use a Pro model for some higher resolutions and steady frame rates.

Tschumi

Fuck off. You think this is Gamestop or something? LOL.
the thread is about sharing opinions and thoughts on the switch, there's next to nothing here i couldn't find on google, you're just getting a cheap diss out of a cheap smartass comment. wanker.

Tschumi

Because it's an incredible handheld.

It delivers what the Vita promised but failed to.
i have a vita and love it, could u like tabulate what ur referring to? for sure vita is 10x better since sony stopped supporting it :p but yeah, that's an interesting statement~

BlackTron

As a WiiU owner, Switch was the first Nintendo system I didn't buy at launch. I lasted until November when Odyssey came out. I was always going to get one eventually, but you could say I really bought it for Mario Odyssey. I agree that Zelda wasn't that great, good game but falls short of being this megaton Zelda title.

Mario was good, Zelda was meh, and first party output has been muted ever since. Switch has become a slick, convenient way to play a large library of existing titles and Wii U games. That's okay, but at the onset I thought it might be something like N64-2, kicking off with a game like Odyssey. It isn't though.

My wife and I both have one.

Top 5 reasons I own a Switch:

1) Exclusives
Nintendo make the best first party games. Hell, the best games full stop. Even if no other titles were available, there would still be enough to make it worth owning from the big N alone.

2) Portability
I am first and foremost a handheld gamer. I own way more Vita games than PS3 and PS4 combined. The Switch is the Nintendo Vita for me, with the added bonus that if I really want to, I can play it on the TV. I think I have done this twice ever however.

3) Local Multiplayer.
Sitting next to my wife playing games, each with our own screen, is awesome, and one of our favourite pass times. The fact there's all the co-op Resident Evil's available also helps make this a killer app for the system.

4) Budget games and Indies
I love smaller games. Stardew Valley and Untitled Goose Game are some of my top current gen titles, and that's just the ip of the iceberg for those little passion project games that make this hobby so compelling that the Switch is swimming in. Between the huge number of Japanese titles, classic remasters and smaller B tier proper studio releases, there's also more than enough of rhe little gem games to play that may lack that high end system AAA polish, but my god do they make up for that in heart.

5) AAA games.
They're few and far between, but getting to play stuff like Doom 2016 while on the loo is a magical experience.

The Switch is the mirror universe twin, 8th gen console to the WiiU, but it's definitely the latter that sported a goatie. It's as brilliant as the WiiU was retarded, and deserves ever single sales it's had. I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

As a WiiU owner, Switch was the first Nintendo system I didn't buy at launch. I lasted until November when Odyssey came out. I was always going to get one eventually, but you could say I really bought it for Mario Odyssey. I agree that Zelda wasn't that great, good game but falls short of being this megaton Zelda title.

Mario was good, Zelda was meh, and first party output has been muted ever since. Switch has become a slick, convenient way to play a large library of existing titles and Wii U games. That's okay, but at the onset I thought it might be something like N64-2, kicking off with a game like Odyssey. It isn't though.
as someone who didn't get to play any nintendo games since wii you do paint an intruging picture for me :p
My wife and I both have one.

Top 5 reasons I own a Switch:

1) Exclusives
Nintendo make the best first party games. Hell, the best games full stop. Even if no other titles were available, there would still be enough to make it worth owning from the big N alone.

2) Portability
I am first and foremost a handheld gamer. I own way more Vita games than PS3 and PS4 combined. The Switch is the Nintendo Vita for me, with the added bonus that if I really want to, I can play it on the TV. I think I have done this twice ever however.

3) Local Multiplayer.
Sitting next to my wife playing games, each with our own screen, is awesome, and one of our favourite pass times. The fact there's all the co-op Resident Evil's available also helps make this a killer app for the system.

4) Budget games and Indies
I love smaller games. Stardew Valley and Untitled Goose Game are some of my top current gen titles, and that's just the ip of the iceberg for those little passion project games that make this hobby so compelling that the Switch is swimming in. Between the huge number of Japanese titles, classic remasters and smaller B tier proper studio releases, there's also more than enough of rhe little gem games to play that may lack that high end system AAA polish, but my god do they make up for that in heart.

5) AAA games.
They're few and far between, but getting to play stuff like Doom 2016 while on the loo is a magical experience.

The Switch is the mirror universe twin, 8th gen console to the WiiU, but it's definitely the latter that sported a goatie. It's as brilliant as the WiiU was retarded, and deserves ever single sales it's had. I absolutely love it.
okay local multiplayer, ur blurb snapped my eyes open lol... i might have to try and make that happen some time...

awesome post :p what's ur list of exclusives? others have made it sound like only mario and zelda are present?

i love the pants off my vita, i'm really sad switch wouldn't get persona

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Portable
Cheap used
Fair range of software ranging from shit tier shovelware garbage (Most are just bad, but some are so bad they're good) to first party gold
Kid friendly For adults, yes, Ninty's online sucks, but for a 6 year old, it's gonna be way harder for them to hear some 16 year old kid screaming funny dumb shit that a 6 year old shouldn't hear

as someone who didn't get to play any nintendo games since wii you do paint an intruging picture for me :p

okay local multiplayer, ur blurb snapped my eyes open lol... i might have to try and make that happen some time...

awesome post :p what's ur list of exclusives? others have made it sound like only mario and zelda are present?

i love the pants off my vita, i'm really sad switch wouldn't get persona
I'm still holding out hope the success of Persona 4 on Steam means an eventual port to Switch, along with P3 and P5.

My personal recommendations for Switch Exclusives are:

Mario and Zelda stuff:
Mario Odysee
Zelda Links Awakening remake
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario and Rabids

Non M&Z stuff:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveler
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Golf Story
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Astral Chain

There's also a ton of stuff on the horizon like Pokemon Snap 2 or Metroid Prime 4, super popular titles I don't care for like Animal Crossing and Pokemon, and good games that were on othe systems like BotW and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remastered.

There is more than enough great content on the Switch to justify owning it, even if you can't stand Mario and Zelda.

Honestly, if it just had the build quality of the Vita (that OLED original is still unsurpassed as a work of engineering), it would be my favourite system of all time.

that sucks, i'm more of a zelda/metroid dude than a mario dude, so i guess i'll be holding off a bit for my switch pickup :) glad to know mario fans are getting a lot out of it though~

so astral chain is ur main game for switch? what'd u think of the mario/zelda/etc titles?

Zelda 35th is next year I believe. You'll very possibly get your wish then.

Ogbert

i have a vita and love it, could u like tabulate what ur referring to? for sure vita is 10x better since sony stopped supporting it :p but yeah, that's an interesting statement~

No worries.

For reference, my favourite consoles of all time are 1) SNES 2) Switch and 3) Vita.

I absolutely adore the Vita, especially the tech, which is still impressive. But what it didn't quite manage to deliver was genuine console experiences on the go. It got close, but if you take something like Borderlands, it wasn't quite able to get it to run. I almost feel like it was too ahead of its time.

With the Switch I now have a handheld that plays pretty much every 2D game I love, all Nintendo AAA gems, a number of awesome third party titles (Bioshock, Witcher, Diablo etc) and virtual console. It's perfect, for *me*. I finish games when I can play them on a handheld. For some reason, on console, I struggle and get distracted.

Vita made me huge fan of portable gaming and Switch is spiritual successor of it. Also Nintendo own library reached point when I decided there's enough to buy (for the record i'm interested in stuff like Tokyo Mirage, Three House, Xenoblade, BOTW, Hyrule Warriors not Marios)

Amiga

Numbers are coming in pointing solidly towards the Nintendo Switch coming off an internationally successful, damn near record breaking year. In fact it has been the #1 selling console in the US for the last 23 months. This board has plenty of threads about this; we know this.

images

I wanna know why.

Why is everyone buying a Switch? It's it portability? Is it initial cost? It's it perceived cost of games? Is it the games? Is it the sheer breadth of age groups it appeals to?

Are you planning to get one? Why?

Please, give us your anecdotes, let's try to pin down for damn sure what is up with this Switch deal.

1- dedicated Nintendo fans
2- more kid friendly games
3- lower price
4- exclusives
5- dual use

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Numbers are coming in pointing solidly towards the Nintendo Switch coming off an internationally successful, damn near record breaking year. In fact it has been the #1 selling console in the US for the last 23 months. This board has plenty of threads about this; we know this.

images

I wanna know why.

Why is everyone buying a Switch? It's it portability? Is it initial cost? It's it perceived cost of games? Is it the games? Is it the sheer breadth of age groups it appeals to?

Are you planning to get one? Why?

Please, give us your anecdotes, let's try to pin down for damn sure what is up with this Switch deal.
I've always found Nintendo games and consoles fun and so much better since the GameCube. I bought my wife a Switch for our 3rd wedding anniversary 2-years ago with Breath of the Wild. I enjoy watching her play as she grew up playing video games more than I did. My siblings in the U.S. all bought one not long after launch. So, portability is a big one but my wife mostly plays hers through the TV. Games is probably the big one. No one else has those games and the downloadable games have gotten better. Price? No, it was bloody expensive for such a small thing. But I feel the money spent was worth it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s that gaming toy everyone feels compelled to buy.

Another trend is that they buy one or two Nintendo games and that’s it. They don’t really go beyond that.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I bought a Switch a couple months ago, and I've been enjoying it a lot (playing BotW, which is excellent). Here are my reasons:

1. I was a PS4 guy this whole gen, and I was mostly satisfied with that, but over the past couple years, I'd grown increasingly bored with gaming. Some of the PS4 exclusives just didn't appeal to me, others were fine but nothing really great. I was bored with most of the AAA multiplatform games on offer. I had a "been there, done that" feeling about most of gaming. So I was headed towards either just not gaming any longer or else getting a second console. Xbox didn't appeal, but Switch offered something different.

2. Part of what I was tired of was the overly serious, somber tone of most modern gaming. In an effort to be "mature" and adult, the gaming world has begun to take itself Very Seriously. Look at TLoU2, for instance. I turn to games for escapism and fun, not for serious, heavy drama. If I want that, I'll read a novel. So part of my ennui with gaming was due to this sense that games were very heavy, serious, often dark and grim. They also seemed to focus a lot on the most primitive, ugly aspects of human nature (fear, anger, violence, terror, revenge, etc.). I just didn't want that stuff in my head, because it affected my mood and outlook. So I found myself preferring games that were more lighthearted and simply fun, which had a healthier spirit to them. And those are the games Nintendo seems to specialize in.

3. I found enough games that warranted a purchase. For me, those were Zelda BotW (enough to keep me busy for months), Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Xenoblade 2, Paper Mario Origami King, Luigi's Mansion, Deadly Premonition, and the recent Mario collection.

Those are my main reasons. I haven't regretted it a minute. I've found that my love of gaming has returned.

Help me out here: If i got a switch, could i play like every flagship Zelda released this century? Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, obviously botw..?

Others have answered this, but I'll just add that on Mario's anniversary, Nintendo issued a collection of three old Mario games for the Switch. Zelda's anniversary is coming up in March, and many people suspect that they may do the same for three old Zelda games. So stay tuned.

Have one. Hate it.

I bought one around 2017 and while I dont hate it, I dont really like it either.

I got mine for around 150€ by trading old games (that I bought for 150€) to one, as switch never were really popular here (never sold out so I made a deal with game store owner I knew, he sold total of 3 switches in 1 year lol)

Why I dont like it?

- greedy nintendo politics, aka cheapest and slowest possible non-custom hardware at premium price. It feels like a toy, not like premium item

- Slow hardware leads into bad 3rd party support, no big hitters like GTA or big RPG games. Or games like witcher 3 which is kind of unplayable as it looks so bad and visuals are big part of that game

- 1st party games are mainly boring. Mario odyssey were most depressing and boring game I have ever played, worst game of the year to me. Collect million stupid ass things isnt fun at all, and every level felt repetitive as they were build around those mechanics

- BoTW and xenoblade 2 are kind of games I would like, but after those it have been quiet or games cant run on the hardware good enough so they look like shit. And im not too picky about the graphics but sub 720p isnt acceptable.

- ergonomy is shit, cant play more than 30mins in handheld mode without feeling uncomfortable

- Screen is low quality (compared to price and also compared to amoled vita)

- games are stupidly expensive because of nintendo politics of "never drop prices of 1st party games"

- too many games, not enough games. By this I mean, there are like 4000 games on store? but 99% of them are some low quality poop, so trying to find gems it is too time consuming and big AAA-games could fix that. Like more BoTW and xenoblade style + other modern games but made for switch hardware, like doom 3 looks better than many modern game ports as it runs higher res and doesnt look like "ultra dropped to lowest low"

- biggest problem is the lost potential, it would be great machine but Nintendo politics ruined most of it

I still get why many like it, if you are a gamer that likes "modern nintendo games" which are really repetitive and boring, but familiar and nostalgic.

I modded mine and used it to play PS1 games and other retro stuff, for that it is nice machine.

I know one person that owns switch too, and he says basically the same, havent touched his after first year.

Fun is relative and subjective, others find "cinematic games" to be fun, other find "repetitive platformers" fun.

00_Zer0

My son, my step daughter and I all have Nintendo Switches. The reason why it is so successful is there is something for everybody on the system. I share a Nintendo Online family account with them. I also set up my sons Switch as the main Switch and buy only one game for both of us. We both can play all our games on our accounts without buying two copies of a game. It works out great and saves a ton of money.

Moogle11

Banned
Oh, another thing I love it for is playing retro games and indies with retro/pixel graphics. That stuff looks terrible to me blown up on a big HDTV. I especially dislike 4:3 content on a big 16:9 TV.

So I play most of that stuff in handheld mode (just on my Lite since getting it). Switch replaced Vita for me for a lot of indies and for retro gaming with the NES and SNES games included with their online service.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Great hardware concept. The ability to switch between TV and portable is insanely convenient and kinda cool.

Library is rock solid. I avoid the early adopter trap so didn't pick one up until over a year after launch, but right now it's got an insanely large and varied library with some insanely high quality big budget and indie titles to pick up. The sheer variety of games from quick pick up and go titles to deep 100+ hour timesinks is almost overwhelming. It's actually got to the point where my gaming budgeting is based more around time than financial cost and my backlog is shameful.

And I have the reassurance that Nintendo will provide at least a few more gems before the system's end. They're a damn good developer and always put out the goods. Granted, that alone isn't enough to push the system for me but along with my above point and the diverse library and ecosystem they've built up it's ample justification for the buy.

Last edited:

PooBone

I think we all know why.... Coronavirus. Animal Crossing was essentially the perfect quarantine game and it hit at the perfect time. The only reason I don't have one is because they were sold out in April and May. That being said, I got an Xbox Series X and don't intend to search for a Switch again until the new Zelda (Breath of the Wild sequel, not that Koei game) is close to release.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says it's Nintendo's vision for every single member in the family to own their own personal switch. He has 5 switches in his home and counting. Countless joycons in various colours and a few pro cons.

He also says that all hotels in the world should come with a Switch Dock. He sees everyone in the bus or train playing a switch in the future.

Also. Nintendo games are fun. Playstation games aren't.

He also predicts that the Nintendo Switch will beat the shit out of PS2's numbers and make Sony fanboys cry.

Nintendo fans shouldn't need to port beg as not porting games to the switch means developers leaving money on the table.

He encourages playing the Switch outside and letting people see the joy of playing on one.

There is no need for console wars anymore as Nintendo has already won. They are the market leader.

These are some of the wise words of my friend.

Name in RED is him. Blue is his friend who is also a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony. But doesn't hate Sony as much as my friend does. They jerk off to Nintendo all day. Even at 5am in the morning.

I often wake up to see hundreds of text messages about the wonders of Nintendo.
QN0vy8W.jpg

znFWzRb.jpg

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well that’s not true.

Switch software sales and attachment rate are ridiculous.

Is that right?

Can you provide a link to attach ratio numbers? Saying it’s ridiculous seems quite over the top, specially when only Nintendo games seem to be doing big numbers.

But please, go ahead, link please.

edit:

Attach Ratio at 6.4. It’s better than I thought, for sure. Nowhere close to being “ridiculous” though, lol, it’s actually below average. Below Xbox One for example.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Is that right?

Can you provide a link to attach ratio numbers? Saying it’s ridiculous seems quite over the top, specially when only Nintendo games seem to be doing big numbers.

But please, go ahead, link please.

edit:

Attach Ratio at 6.4. It’s better than I thought, for sure. Nowhere close to being “ridiculous” though, lol, it’s actually below average. Below Xbox One for example.

456.49M software sales as of 30 September 2020.

Also, where did you get these Xbox One software tie ratio?
And how do you calculate attach ratio to 6:4?

Last edited:

Tschumi

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says it's Nintendo's vision for every single member in the family to own their own personal switch. He has 5 switches in his home and counting. Countless joycons in various colours and a few pro cons.

He also says that all hotels in the world should come with a Switch Dock. He sees everyone in the bus or train playing a switch in the future.

Also. Nintendo games are fun. Playstation games aren't.

He also predicts that the Nintendo Switch will beat the shit out of PS2's numbers and make Sony fanboys cry.

Nintendo fans shouldn't need to port beg as not porting games to the switch means developers leaving money on the table.

He encourages playing the Switch outside and letting people see the joy of playing on one.

There is no need for console wars anymore as Nintendo has already won. They are the market leader.

These are some of the wise words of my friend.

Name in RED is him. Blue is his friend who is also a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony. But doesn't hate Sony as much as my friend does. They jerk off to Nintendo all day. Even at 5am in the morning.

I often wake up to see hundreds of text messages about the wonders of Nintendo.
QN0vy8W.jpg

znFWzRb.jpg
Your friend is a trip :p all power to him~

Top Bottom