• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why are you and your entire extended families buying Nintendo Switch?

Do you, or a close relative/friend of yours, have a Switch?

• Yes.

Votes: 134 72.4%
  • Not to my knowledge.

Votes: 51 27.6%

• Total voters
Yes, and while at first it was cool to sit in the living room and play games on something handheld, it quickly becomes irritating when one person keeps losing their temper and ragequitting.

I have a switch and I don’t really know why sometimes. I rarely use it and I keep buying games in hopes that I do and then continue to play them elsewhere.

I didn’t care for BOTW and the direction it took the franchise and I’ve legit only ever finished 2 games on Switch in like 2 years...Planetarium and Catherine Full Body (one of my favorite games). I probably have less then 50 hours on it total.

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says it's Nintendo's vision for every single member in the family to own their own personal switch. He has 5 switches in his home and counting. Countless joycons in various colours and a few pro cons.

Your friend is a GOD AMONG MEN, he's literally my best friend and I don't even know him. That kind of perspective certainly beats out having to EXPLAIN why one owns a fucking gaming device at a gaming board.

Clarissa

Banned
Your friend is a GOD AMONG MEN, he's literally my best friend and I don't even know him. That kind of perspective certainly beats out having to EXPLAIN why one owns a fucking gaming device at a gaming board.
My friends were all wondering if that's really Nintendo's vision or his own vision :messenger_squinting_tongue::messenger_squinting_tongue::messenger_squinting_tongue:

By the way he bought 2 game and watch thingy to use as his clock and also for his kids!

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Perhaps he's an angel unleashing upon us visions of increasing NINTENDOMINATION ahead.
He is not just a Nintenchad. He is NINTENGOD!!!!

What do you think of his vision of all hotels around the world having a switch Dock in every single room?

And also his vision that everyone should be playing their Nintendo Switch while traveling on the bus or train instead of being mindless zombies staring at their mobile??

Clarissa

Banned
He also wanted Labo to take off and his vision was for every school to have enough Nintendo Switch for the students and they can have 30 minutes of creative fun in class everyday by playing with Labo.

Education shouldn't just be academic. It should be fun and involve games. And the various labo kits are mad fun and encourage creativity.

This is his vision and he's fighting for it.

Why? Huge Nintendo fan and this is their best console yet. I’d be crazy to miss out. Many friends and relatives have them to, same reason.

He is not just a Nintenchad. He is NINTENGOD!!!!

What do you think of his vision of all hotels around the world having a switch Dock in every single room?

And also his vision that everyone should be playing their Nintendo Switch while traveling on the bus or train instead of being mindless zombies staring at their mobile??

He's the one Crossbell-chan. The promised NintenCHAD to deliver us to freedom. I had to endure multiplue WHY DO YOU LIKE NINTENDO threads for good reason. When shit got really retarded, he never dwindled in determination.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One word: Games.

I have one, and I absolutely love it. The flow of games since release has been FUCKING INCREDIBLE, there's no other way to put it. I game on all platforms (including a beefy gaming PC), and I personally think Nintendo has them all beat in the "pure fun" category. Everything from their properties to their hardware to their execution this generation has been outstanding. When people say "draught", I say "What the fuck". I can't keep up with all the great games coming out, in fact I have a serious backlog of Nintendo stuff that I love that I can't finish because there's so many.

They also occupy a totally unique space with their IP in gaming; wholesome and endearing characters that anyone can love from dad, to grandma, to the kids. No one else is like Nintendo and I'm very grateful that they exist.

PC and Switch cover 98% of the games on the market. I don't have time for more than that. I could finish a game every day and not have enough time to play all the games available on each.

The Switch being a hybrid portable is a godsend. Rainy day at the lake? Everyone's playing Mario Kart or Smash. Fantastic!

Clarissa

Banned
He's the one Crossbell-chan. The promised NintenCHAD to deliver us to freedom. I had to endure multiplue WHY DO YOU LIKE NINTENDO threads for good reason. When shit got really retarded, he never dwindled in determination.

Everytime you find yourself wavering when people ask you why do you like Nintendo, just keep my friend in mind and remember my anecdotes about him and also the many screenshots of his messages I posted. Keep his wise sayings in mind.

You will then find true courage and tell them naysayers off, especially those pesky Sony fanboys that he hates so much. Believe in Nintendo.

He is planning to take his family to Super Nintendo World next year when it launches in Universal Studios Japan. Covid be damned. Covid will back the fuck away and bow down to the greatness of Nintendo.

Last edited:
He is planning to take his family to Super Nintendo World next year when it launches in Universal Studios Japan. Covid be damned. Covid will back the fuck away and bow down to the greatness of Nintendo.

Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-Memes.jpg

Dude's done asking nicely, I love it.

We got one at launch, I wanted to play Zelda, but couldn't get into it, so I gave it to my kid.. he mostly plays Minecraft and Roblox with it.

Fbh

I bought a Switch because I usually enjoy Nintendo games and the Switch did something I've wanted for a long time: Provide a single system that allows me to play all current Nintendo games.
Finally a system where I'd be able to play the Next 3D Zelda and 3D Mario but also the next Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Overall I have to say it has turned out to be quite disappointing. Loved the first year but sadly 3 years later Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are still my favorite Switch games.
A lot of their releases after the first year simply haven't clicked with me. Pokemon increased the Price to $60 but they didn't change up the formula at all and production values are still at most at Ps2 tier, Fire Emblem turned half of the experience into an anime highschool simulator, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are still nowhere to be seen, the new 2D Zelda was an Ok remake of a gameboy game that looked and played like a $20 indie game except it cost $60, Monolith went on to make a Xenoblade Remaster instead of a new game, etc.

The only reason I haven't sold it is because I'm still looking forward to Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, SMTV and Metroid Prime 4. It's a shame that by the time they are out there's probably going to be a system that will run them better (the rumored Switch Pro). But I'm not about to spend even more money to upgrade a console that has mostly been gathering dust for the past 2 years.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In here (Czech Republic) Nintendo is crazy over priced and almost nobody buys that over priced, under powered, under featured trash.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It’s really very simple.

1. The machine is brilliant - a fantastic form factor that suits those of us without a huge amount of time.
2. Nintendo make amazing games that are pure 100000% fun. Not 90% cut scenes, no bullshit, just pure gameplay.

These things have resonated with people.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i did have a switch but sold it as it was just sitting in the cupboard doing nothing. used the money towards PS5/XSX + New Tv :) I'll get a new Switch whenever there is a new model out and more games i want to play.

i only know 2 people with a Switch.

In here (Czech Republic) Nintendo is crazy over priced and almost nobody buys that over priced, under powered, under featured trash.
don't blame Nintendo for your countrys problems.

it might be under powered compared to Playstation/Xbox but Nintendo never set out to compete against them. If you thought Switch would then you obviously don't know anything about Nintendo.

Last edited:

lachesis

My daughter and I have own Switch. My friends who have kids also have Switch. Even non-gaming brother of mine also bought Switch for my nieces...

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I wanna know why.

Why is everyone buying a Switch? It's it portability? Is it initial cost? It's it perceived cost of games? Is it the games? Is it the sheer breadth of age groups it appeals to?

Are you planning to get one? Why?

My friends all have them, they all have kids, they all enjoy Nintendo games, they enjoy being able to play handheld while their kids/family use their TV to watch something else, it's really that simple.

I have not bought one, I am not generally interested in Nintendo games apart from a few every generation and I don't buy consoles in order to play 3-4 games. I don't have a need to play on handheld, I don't particularly like handheld. And I think the vast vast majority of Nintendo first party games are wildly overrated, even the ones I want to play. I've been through most of Galaxy 1 & 2, and 3D World despite not owning those consoles. Everything else, especially Zelda, has for the most part not interested me in 15 years.

However! I'm waiting on some kind of switch pro announcement, I don't know if it's likely but if that does happen I will get one. Mario 3D Allstars was part of that decision as I really want to revisit 64 & Galaxy, but also it's just good timing in terms of a number of games I want to play. Haven't really wanted to own a Nintendo system for more than 2 games or so since Gamecube.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Hm. Smells like bullshit.

A quick search suggests that Switch accounts for around 50% of all console sales across EMEAA (which includes Czech Republic) so I guess your area must be a super unique place where people only play big boy consoles.

Seems like PC gaming is a more popular in that part of Europe though?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hm. Smells like bullshit.

A quick search suggests that Switch accounts for around 50% of all console sales across EMEAA (which includes Czech Republic) so I guess your area must be a super unique place where people only play big boy consoles.

Seems like PC gaming is a more popular in that part of Europe though?
Nintendo was really popular up until Wii, then the Nintendo and Sony switch the position. Playstation 1 was really overpriced, games costed same as they cost now with PS5 (however infaltion and shit, so it was more like 50% back then) and with PS2 they realised that this is not the way. I don't know anyone with switch and I am part of something like a "Czech neoGaf" with many users there. I mean Switch now cost 1k CZK than Series S, now and games are equally expensive as on PS5 now, despite that in Czech you travel by public transport a lot and something like Vita or PSP being really popular, no one here cares about this really. EMEAA is really big number of countries, we are really not contributing in console market as much, Slavic countries are PC first, something like that you would have console when you were young instead of PC is pretty much non-existent, we were looking at the consoles, when i was young as a top tier luxury (obviously piracy played a big role). In those times, mainly Nintendo was the shit. They no longer are (here).

Oh and in Slavic countries there is definitely bias towards consoles and PC market is king, that's why Xbox does not really sell that bad here and Microsoft invested heavily here towards their products, especially now with GamePass. We have crazy deals, like full year for 60 bucks and stuff like that. You have to buy it as a card form tho. What brought Console gaming here as a mainstream was lowering price of X360 back in November 2011 to just 250USD with 21% VAT, so that more like 200USD as price, how it's shown in shops in USA. We have everything here shown with tax, opposite of what people in USA have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom