• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so why the hell do I have to change my gamertag!?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sorry if already discussed, but I've been away having a baby (my wife that is)

Got an email from Microsoft saying my gamertag is very similar to someone elses, so please change it, and we'll give you a copy of PGR2 (Which I've already got)

I don't understand this. Surely the name itself is irrelevant, as all matches/friends is done on some kind of internal serial number, and I have to OK a friend request. So if Mrklaw12345 gets mistaken for me, and someone happens to type his name wrong, tough titty.

Is there a sinister reason behind all this? I was happy to be able to get my normal tag as my gamertag, and now Microsoft are going to take it away.

jedimike

That's weird. I would email them back and tell them you already have PGR2, but you'll change it for *game of your choice* and a free year of XBL.

edit: make sure game you want is published by MS

B'z-chan

Banned
I too was told to change my gamer tag which pissed me off i have till the 31st to comply and if i do i'll get a choice of games from MS's great lineup. I hate this crap. Why are they making people change there tags?

IJoel

Congrats on the baby!

Take advantage of the situation and ask them for another game since you already have PGR2.

It does seem odd, however. My guess is that someone from MS has a very similar tag, or wants that one.

mrklaw said:
sorry if already discussed, but I've been away having a baby (my wife that is)

Got an email from Microsoft saying my gamertag is very similar to someone elses, so please change it, and we'll give you a copy of PGR2 (Which I've already got)

I don't understand this. Surely the name itself is irrelevant, as all matches/friends is done on some kind of internal serial number, and I have to OK a friend request. So if Mrklaw12345 gets mistaken for me, and someone happens to type his name wrong, tough titty.

Is there a sinister reason behind all this? I was happy to be able to get my normal tag as my gamertag, and now Microsoft are going to take it away.

SyNapSe

That's wierd. Tell them you want 2 copies of Halo 2.. one for you, and I'll pay you $20 for the other! Everyone's a winner!

tell em you want halo 2, unreal championship 2, a year of xbox live free and if they can't comply, fuck off and tell the other person to change their gamertag or get some less idiotic buddies...

FinFan

Many people have gotten that email. Basically, because of some new Live 3.0 stat tracking features, i some one has a GT that is close to your, using a space (i.e. mr klaw)
Then you both have to change your tag.

But, after much complaining to Major Nelson on the xbox forums they have changed it from just PGR2 to either PGR2, Links, or TopSpin and a free year of Live.

Attention: Members who are being asked to change their gamertag.
Posted: 07-04-2004 07:25 PM
For those members that received the email informing them that then need to change their gamer tag within the next 10-days, we now have a revised compensation plan. In addition to receiving the game that was mentioned in the email, you will also receive a free, one year subscription to Xbox Live for being so understanding about this change.

Effective immediately when you call support (1-8004MYXBOX) and they confirm that you are on the list of affected gamertags, the support agent will ask you for some information to ensure your account information is current and within 6-weeks (or so) you'll receive the game and a free 12-month subscription code (in separate mailings) that you can then use when your current subscription expires.

Note: The agent can't add the free 12-months to your account while you are on the phone.Once they gathers the required information, you will be sent the card in the mail and you can then use that code when your account expires for your free year of Xbox Live. Since the affected members have subscriptions that run out at various times, this is the most efficient way to ensure that members get the entire 12-months free.

Action Necessary for those that received the email informing them that their gamertag must be changed:
You must call to confirm you are on the list and your address is correct, and to let support know you'd like to participate in this offer! This is one thing that is worth a free 5 minute phone call to make sure you are all set and can get your free year of Xbox Live

If you don't call, you will not get the free game and the free year of Xbox Live

Note: The agents are being informed of this change now, so if you call within the next few hours they may not be aware of this late breaking development yet…so I'd call tomorrow once the information has been distributed to all the agents. You are finding out about this before the agents...so don't run and call the moment I post this and expect them to know

Thanks for being understanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gamertag: Major Nelson
Xbox Live Director of Programming
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Ramirez

I don't see the big deal here,you get a free game and all you have to do is change your name?Big fuckin deal,do it and quit complainin!! :p

FinFan

Ramirez said:
I don't see the big deal here,you get a free game and all you have to do is change your name?Big fuckin deal,do it and quit complainin!! :p

Many of the people this has effected were beta testers and they have had their Gamer Tags for 2 years so I can see how they could be a little pissed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Its the principle though. Its my tag on here, and on other fora, and on xbox live.

Seems odd though. Surely there are lots of people with joe21 and joe22? How stupid must their software be to not handle simple punctuation?

Their email didn't mention a free year of live though (I'm in the UK) - I'll copy that and mention it.

Still sucks, especially now there are 1million people out there - I'm never going to get a good tag.

Slo

Some exec's kid probably wants your gamertag. Just try to get as much out of it as you can.

BuG

If you were to register a new GamerTag which is very close to your current GT with one of those free 2-month trials, would you be able to score some free shit out of Microsoft?

Top Bottom