• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

ibyYxQVLx6DX4L.png

wii%20u_zps6395f7fd.png

Wii U White - ¥25,000
PS3 White - ¥24,980
Wii U Black - ¥30,000
PS3 Black 500 GB - ¥29,980

The prices shown at the top (for Wii U) is the price with tax, so I'm going to include the tax-less price.

Is this going to be a lose situation for Sony and a win situation for Nintendo? Is this near price parity not going to affect anything?

I think the Wii U may sell over the PS3 because for the same price, you can get a shiny new console.

pramath

Banned
Sony on the way to being dispatched of brutally in the land of the rising sun it seems... in both the handheld and home console market.

Jaruru

and.............???

edit: wasn't that 5 yrs old game console? is that supposed to fight with a brand new one?

zewone

What are they doing? Sony has no sense in their upper management. I see another forced retirement coming.

LOCK

Sony must see the Wii U as an excuse to keep prices up and extend the PS3 lifecycle.

I fear PS4 chances next year....really...

I'm lost here. The Wii U is going to sell better no matter what, it's a brand new console launching.

Yeah but if someone who doesn't have either of the two systems is going to purchase one, and sees that they are around the same price, they may lean toward buying the shiny new console instead. Thus, Sony lost a sale.

Here's a better question: we're at year what like 5 or 6 into this gen and the ps3 is STILL above $250(!) so what kind of price are we looking at for a ps4 in a year's time? Surely they wouldn't try $599 again, right?

Well to be fair dropping the price of the PS3 would have killed Vita harder but still...

By the way this just boosts my suspicion both PS4 and 720 will be 450-550 and be contract consoles.

sikkinixx

Here's a better question: we're at year what like 5 or 6 into this gen and the ps3 is STILL above $250(!) so what kind of price are we looking at for a ps4 in a year's time? Surely they wouldn't try $599 again, right?

FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE US DOLLARS!

*sigh* :(

Yeah this is not a good sign for ps4 next year. Looks like I will have to spend more on the pc for a couple more years longer than I thought. Overpriced hdd and no tablet with being 2-3x less powerful and paid online is not a good value proposition standing next to the competition who has all the software cards at the moment. However I do like their software prospects in the west and hope it does well the next year.

Also $499 PS4 is looking likely again

Man

Sony are going AMD on both CPU and GPU next gen and they will stay with the BD format. A typical up-to-date $399 console if you will, not a 'custom everything' like the PS3.
Obviously they are also going with the small Flash storage strategy started with the X360 (starting now for Sony with this new PS3 Ultra Slim).

Vita is a completely different ball park than the PS3.

With all the cross games between them? Also the main point I was trying to make is that 3DS is successful enough and has enough games to support is own ecosystem without worrying about the Wii which is completely irrelevant now anyway.

beril

This is what's always bothering me with people complaining how WiiU is just slightly more powerful than 6 year old hardware; it's also priced pretty much the same as said 6 year old hardware. The PS3 only reached that price point a couple of years ago; and with the WiiU at just slightly higher with a fancy tablet controller there's a limit to just how much more powerful it could have been (and from what we know so far it still is considerably more powerful). Of course there's also the xbox 360 which launched at 300, but that was a big, noisy, powerhungry beast of really shoddy build quality, and the original 300$ SKU was very barebone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Don't worry guys, DCharlie has a plan.
Sony just have to release PS4 trailers these holidays to murder Wii U before it even releases.

Checkmate.

This is what's always bothering me with people complaining how WiiU is just slightly more powerful than 6 year old hardware; it's also priced pretty much the same as said 6 year old hardware. The PS3 only reached that price point a couple of years ago; and with the WiiU at just slightly higher with a fancy tablet controller there's a limit to just how much more powerful it could have been (and from what we know so far it still is considerably more powerful). Of course there's also the xbox 360 which launched at 300, but that was a big, noisy, powerhungry beast of really shoddy build quality, and the original 300$ SKU was very barebone.

If only every GAFfer thought like this...

The PS3 only reached that price point a couple of years ago; and with the WiiU at just slightly higher with a fancy tablet controller there's a limit to just how much more powerful it could have been (and from what we know so far it still is considerably more powerful).

This needs to be highlighted. A lot of people seem to think it's just a 360 with a tablet, but it's got much more RAM and a faster CPU. That means it will be able to run current gen games, but at the level they never could but should have - closer to 60 fps, 1080p, etc.

squidyj

ibyYxQVLx6DX4L.png

wii%20u_zps6395f7fd.png

Wii U White - ¥25,000
PS3 White - ¥24,980
Wii U Black - ¥30,000
PS3 Black 500 GB - ¥29,980

The prices shown at the top (for Wii U) is the price with tax, so I'm going to include the tax-less price.

Is this going to be a lose situation for Sony and a win situation for Nintendo? Is this near price parity not going to affect anything?

I think the Wii U may sell over the PS3 because for the same price, you can get a shiny new console.

I hear the Wii U has an extensive game library right now.

If only every GAFfer thought like this...

GAF would be a very boring place full of bad opinions?

A next gen console at current gen prices, Nintendo must be using voodoo!

aaaand this is why calling the Wii U next gen is retarded.

jerd

I hear the Wii U has an extensive game library right now.

GAF would be a very boring place full of bad opinions?

Your first argument is good. It makes sense. The PS3 has a good library of games, and it well should. It has been out for 6 years. The other two I don't get. Why is it a bad opinion? Why is it wrong to call Wii U next gen and what does that have to do with the price?

I don't see why this is a bad move for Sony. If Nintendo is going to sell out no matter what, why lower your prices to try to compete on volume? You might as well just make as much profit as possible on each system.

pramath

Banned
I don't see why this is a bad move for Sony. If Nintendo is going to sell out no matter what, why lower your prices to try to compete on volume? You might as well just make as much profit as possible on each system.

Nobody is going to buy a PS3 with the Wii U the same price with an NSMB and Monster Hunter launch.

It's going to be a bloodbath. Vita part deux.

They are really going to be allowing Nintendo to gain a stranglehold in both the home and portable markets.

hachi

Banned

Do go on. I like the way console generations have become an exclusive club barring admittance to those do not take their innovations and upgrades from the approved list.

I would be worried about the PS4 since this new PS3 may last as long as the PSP which seems to be blocking any PSVita movement into the market.

We can all ignore the WiiU is current gen bullshit going around its not worth it

farnham

Banned
i dont know...
ps 3 has an established userbase and wiiu has similar power to PS3 and comes to market 6 years after PS3 was released.

many people might fear that wiiu will be treated like the wii by third parties (highly likely) and will be dropped fast once the new xbox and ps comes out.

I think nintendo really did a bad job this time around to promote wiiu as the new casual gamer mashine, which is probably the only way for wiiu success.

They should have launched with wiifitu and wiisportsu alongside with wiiplayu

what we got is only nintendoland and nsmbu... the latter worked with casuals sure. but will nintendoland do that as well? that will be the biggest question.

Top Bottom