• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So yeah um, MGS4 seems to have killed my PS3.

HUELEN10

I didn't want spoilers, and I didn't see anything else about this. I inserted the disk, and it went through the first install. When Actual gameplay began, it locked up. I wait like a minute, but nothing happened. I turn the unit off, but now it won't boot up, though it will eject the disc. Anyone else having issues?

Parks

Banned
That really, really sucks. I haven't heard any else mention anything similar today, so it must be a case of bad luck.

Try blowing on the disc and putting it back in .

HUELEN10 said:
I didn't want spoilers, and I didn't see anything else about this. I inserted the disk, and it went through the first install. When Actual gameplay began, it locked up. I wait like a minute, but nothing happened. I turn the unit off, but now it won't boot up, though it will eject the disc. Anyone else having issues?

Psycho Mantis returns... oh wait.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Did you smoke a cig during the install?

If you did, you unlock a new suit!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Its just Kojima playing with your mind. The first mission of MGS4 is to get your PS3 working, why do you have to spoil the game?

DieH@rd

Banned
HUELEN10 said:

Hold power button for 5 secs untill you hear a beep. Maybe it will boot up then...

HUELEN10

DieH@rd said:
Hold power button for 5 secs untill you hear a beep. Maybe it will boot up then...
Nah, it isn't that. BTW, I am connected through official S-Video cables on my SD set.

Oni Jazar

HUELEN10 said:
No, it won't boot at all, merely eject discs. It is not a video problem either.

Does it light up? Do you hear the fans blowing? If it is ejecting discs it must be booting at some level.

Did you smoke a cig during the install?

If you did, you unlock a new suit!

Italian Spiderman Camo!

I would try Sony, chances are they've had simular reports and they probably won't tell you to blow on the disk or try controller port 2.

1-800-345-SONY (7669)

HUELEN10

DieH@rd said:
cmon guys, dont make fun with him... he's the sadest person on earth now
Not really. I bought a copy of Wario land 2 at GameStop while I was there. so I guess that makes me....

OH WHO AM I KIDDING......

jts

...hate me...
At least now you have a nice looking disc-ejecter. Use it to keep safe the very best disc you have.

HUELEN10

Oni Jazar said:
Does it light up? Do you hear the fans blowing? If it is ejecting discs it must be booting at some level.
It does light up, but I know it isn't booting right at least. It ejects discs, but will not output anything (Though this is common, but wait there is more), no fans, and controllers will not sync at all. Also, I wanted to see how dead the system apparently is, and it won't even charge my phone on any USB ports when on.

Is it really dead dead?

Should I wait a couple hours and try again?

TwinsDad

HUELEN10 said:
Nah, it isn't that. BTW, I am connected through official S-Video cables on my SD set.

So you tried this. It resets the video settings. It the thing to try first. Also make sure you don't have a loose connection.

Well, now based on that other feedback. I'd say it's dead. Call Sony with the 800-345-sony number and hope for the best.

HUELEN10

TwinsDad said:
So you tried this. It resets the video settings. It the thing to try first. Also make sure you don't have a loose connection.
No, the connection is not loose, and I tested these same cables just now on a PS2. Works fine.

TwinsDad

HUELEN10 said:
No, the connection is not loose, and I tested these same cables just now on a PS2. Works fine.

I've seen a few posts about a fan speed test. If your system can't do that then it's truly dead.

HUELEN10

Should I try the 60GB upside-down "fan test" aka killing it? I mean, it is not gonna get worse than this is it? Would it be worth a shot?

Ranger X

I don't understand these threads. THERE IS NO GAMES KILLING CONSOLES.
It's a wierd you guys have to express the fact your console just broke. It broke and it happened that X game was in.

HUELEN10

Ranger X said:
It's a wierd you guys have to express the fact your console just broke. It broke and it happened that X game was in.
Well sometimes a particular game can cause problems and those problems happen to a lot for users. It is useful to see if this is an occurring as an isolated incident or not. No one is blaming anything. I just felt that MGS4 just might have killed my PS3. Doesn't mean that it did, but a 2 month old console dying doesn't sound too good either.

Ranger X said:
I'm not a console designer. This is just my opinion. But I remember Gears of War putting my 360 in the ER a couple of times. I think it would have happened eventually, but Gears sped up the process. That game works the console harder than any other game I've played so far.

Ranger X

HUELEN10 said:
Well sometimes a particular game can cause problems and those problems happen to a lot for users. It is useful to see if this is an occurring as an isolated incident or not. No one is blaming anything. I just felt that MGS4 just might have killed my PS3. Doesn't mean that it did, but a 2 month old console dying doesn't sound too good either.

What happened is that some games are checking on the disk more often than others. GTA4 for instance is constantly streaming stuff. Prolly that MGS4 does to. This means that if your PS3 is not good, it will show signs when playing those games or it will simply break.
I meant that it could have been any game that trigerred the death of the console. Every console in existence will play one last game. Games aren't to blame, if your console dies, it was already defective or on the verge.

HUELEN10

Ranger X said:
What happened is that some games are checking on the disk more often than others. GTA4 for instance is constantly streaming stuff. Prolly that MGS4 does to. This means that if your PS3 is not good, it will show signs when playing those games or it will simply break.
I meant that it could have been any game that trigerred the death of the console. Every console in existence will play one last game. Games aren't to blame, if your console dies, it was already defective or on the verge.
You make a valid point indeed, but it saddens me. 2 Months old.....

Mine locked up yesterday trying to access the MGO Shop [Through the PS3 Browser] in the MGO Menu of the MGO game after I tried exiting. I knew it was going to happen because it didn't do what I was telling it.

All seems fine now.

fabs115

my ps3 locked up in the middle of a blu ray, i turned it off, then on, and it wouldnt read any discs, but still played demos i downloaded

i called sony, took about 2.5 weeks total but got my same unit and hard drive back bc all my stuff was still on there

sucks to hear though man, mine was a 40 gig made in noc 2007

Top Bottom