• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you can Slave Trade on a Steam game now

DryvBy

4ROw7iE.jpg

While looking through the many quality Steam games recently released, I stumbled upon Playing History 2 - Slave Trade. It's an adventure game. As a little slave kid, taken from Africa. Here's a description:

Travel back in time and witness the horrors of slave trade firsthand. You will be working as young slave steward on a ship crossing the Atlantic. You are to serve the captain and be his eyes and ears. What do you do, when you realize that your own sister has been captured by the slave traders?

Amazing. It has Steam achievements too, so I'll be sure to do as much slave handling (or slaving) as I can for $3.74.

If you're not sold on it, I can assure you it's an excellent game from the reviews.
yc3tjTE.jpg

de0o02z.jpg

q8aZvfI.jpg

Well now, ain't ya curious as to how this game looks? Here ya go with some media:

Trailer

linkfilter

linkfilter

edit: Slave Tetris
FDE0B4AB4A0F10F32FF2F2900BA0EB481DE4DC2A

Can I get a game on Steam? Thinking about making Half-Life 4.

DryvBy

Wow, that is extremely tacky. I....hope it fails as I don't want this racist shit to gain any traction.

Well it is a history game. And accurate too. Just look at this screen shot:

linkfilter

YES! That's a mouse! Humanoid mice were very well-known slave traders.

Got this in a bundle recently don't remember which one too many of those things lately can't wait to try it out though lol.

I watched Sterling's playthrough of this.

The intentions behind it seem like the developers genuinely wanted to teach kids about slavery, at least? But man is the execution incredibly tacky to the point where it borders parody, which makes it even funnier I guess. Either go all out or go home; 'Slave Tetris' stuff just makes it seem like you're trying to take the piss even though I really do think this was made with good-but-misdirected intentions. I'd also argue Steam isn't the best venue for edutainment games if the reviews section is anything to go off.

fedexpeon

Banned
Is this an educational game?
Like does it actually teach you the timeline of slavery, the harsh behaviors, and the degenerated belief and moral of past society?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well it is a history game. And accurate too. Just look at this screen shot:

linkfilter

YES! That's a mouse! Humanoid mice were very well-known slave traders.

I mean...when you're right your right....

I can't believe Steam even allows something like this.

Despite the name of the developer, I have a feeling that this game doesn't approach the sensitive topic with the accuracy and seriousness it demands.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This genuinely looks like a VeggieTales version of slavery.

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm not against the idea of a game exploring the themes of slavery and the atrocities that happened, but it needs to be handled in a way that explores those themes with the sensitivity it deserves, and chiefly among the one of the more important things to focus on is art-style and direction. That shit is overly exaggerated and feels mean-spirited in tone.

Melter

before everyone raises their pitchforks... the trailer suggests this is an educational game. although I agree it is extremely tacky in presentation.

Kyuur

You know, I was expecting worse from the title. Thought it we be a game where you were the slave trader, not the slave.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Frog Fractions 2 was supposed to drop around now.

Wait a sec - this game is 2 years old. How did you stumble on it in the recently released stuff?

105.Will

before everyone raises their pitchforks... the trailer suggests this is an educational game. although I agree it is extremely tacky in presentation.

I understand that they want it to be educational, but a cartoon art style doesn't really help show the horrors of slave trade.

DryvBy

Frog Fractions 2 was supposed to drop around now.

Wait a sec - this game is 2 years old. How did you stumble on it in the recently released stuff?

Steam's New Releases only show up sometime in the view All New Releases. I was looking to see if any old game showed up (good old game, not this) and bam, saw this.

ExVicis

People wanna develop this, well I certainly can't stop them. Hell people can play it too.

Doesn't mean this isn't the dumbest most racist shit ever, no amount of humanoid mice is gonna change that.

Top Bottom