• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you got an Xbox one X ? Share your noise level

Commander Keen

Neo Member
I guess I got lucky! I sure didn’t hit the quiet lottery with my PS4Pro tho. My Scorpio X is quieter then the 4TB external I have hooked up to it. The only time I EVER hear it is when the disc spins up on startup for a minute or so then gets quiet again. Been playing lots of AC:Origins, ROTTR and WW2 and nothing.

I've only had mine for a few days. I haven’t heard the fan, but it sits on an open shelf across the room. That said I'm only playing at 1080p right now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

It’s still downsampling from 4K in supported games. So, that shouldn’t make a difference.

Kenito

Neo Member
Is the back of the unit (the entertainment center) closed or open?

Mine does the same while playing BF2. It seems like it dumps hot air like every 30-40min. It's whisper quiet and then you hear a slight "whoosh" sound for like a second.

Every other game the system is super quiet. (Forza 7, BF1, Ghost Recon, etc)
Maybe BF2 is very gpu heavy?

My Scorpio ed. sits flat and my entertainment center has opening front and back.

Thank you!

Got my replaced Scorpio today (advanced exchange) and I will let you know how it goes. I have been playing Halo 5 for an hour and I don't want to speak too soon about performance in respect of noise so I will post an update later.

If it helps anyone, the replacement was brand new and I just made sure to stipulate that I wanted a new Scorpio.

Tall Paul

Got my replaced Scorpio today (advanced exchange) and I will let you know how it goes. I have been playing Halo 5 for an hour and I don't want to speak too soon about performance in respect of noise so I will post an update later.

If it helps anyone, the replacement was brand new and I just made sure to stipulate that I wanted a new Scorpio.
Be interesting to hear results mate, I got sent a standard in advance exchange for a noisy hot Scorpio and it was basically doing the same thing so I’ve sent it back, spoke to MS again yesterday but haven’t had call back. Unit has lots of air and space so not sure if it’s just the way it is.

Having played Gears, Halo and ACO for the last 3 + hours, this is a completely different experience. Yes, the fans do increase in speed periodically depending on load but I have had no instances of the ZERO - Full Blast fan speed increases that the last console had.

If it helps anyone, I wasn't 100% certain that my console was faulty due reading different definitions of silent and fan noise being somewhat subjective. I can honestly say, if I didn't have the first console experience (loud fan ramp ups periodically), I would be describing this replacement console as 'silent' as the only reason I notice any noise at all is because I am looking for it.

I mean this in the nicest possible sense. For anyone that thinks that periodic fan noise at levels that break the gaming experience is normal, you're kidding yourself and I urge you to get your console replaced.

My opinion could change with further use but the old one would have been interrupting gameplay many multiple times in 3 hours whereas this one hasn't once.

Forgot to add that the heat levels are different too. I have the console in an open space with about 6-8 inches free space before an external wall. The last console would make the wall (solid brick) too hot to leave your hand on for more than a second with a very large hot footprint.

The replacement makes the wall very warm but not too hot to touch. The heat footprint is smaller too i.e. the area of the wall that gets hot.

ShapeGSX

I was the one who posted the loud Xbox One X video in this thread.
https://youtu.be/GqCozmM-Ako

I took my Scorpio Edition Xbox One X back to Best Buy yesterday as it seemed to be getting worse. I did an even swap with a standard edition Xbox One X. But they let me swap controllers so I still have the Scorpio Edition one. I actually like the look of the standard Xbox One X more, so win-win!

Anyway, the new Xbox One X didn't make a single peep all night as I played Assassin's Creed Origins! It's silent!

If your Xbox One X's fan gets really loud during game play (mine sounded like a strong wind through a gap in a window), there's something wrong with it. Take that sucker back!

I picked up a Xbox One X on Saturday, from best buy in canada. It's not the Scorpio edition or anything, but it isn't very loud at all.

I'm currently using it on a 1080p tv though. I won't be opening my 4k tv until January at the earliest.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The first one I got had some ticking fan noise, which got to about 60db while playing titanfall 2 at 4k.
So i exchanged it and the current one has a far more natural console noise and no ticking and does not go over 40db under heavy load.

Playing the Witcher 3 now it has been patched, and noticed mine does that pulsing thing that others have mentioned (Game seems to push it quite hard?). It just doesn't seem to run at a constant speed, always speeding up and slowing down every couple of seconds. It isn't loud per se, but is noticeable because of how it isn't a constant speed. Unsure what to do about it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Super duper quiet almost as much as my S

Mine is quieter than the S, as quiet as the fat One (but without the noise that came from the power supply). The S has a higher frequency fan which I found to be quite audible, the X is more of a deep humming.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its about the same as my original fat PS4 maybe a little louder.

These measurements were taken by placing my phone on top of the console and placed next to 1x about 1 inch away.

Idle - at home screen
About 21 db on top and 25db on the side vent

Under load
30db on top
41db side vent.

The thing I find anoying is the fan has a wurring noise almost like a car revving.
However overall noise levels are comparable with other 1X'S so I not that fussed.

I actually returned my first 1X because the fan had anoying ticking noise.

_--------------

To make this thread a bit more factual can people post decibel measurements , you can grt sound meters on android and ios.Be sure to state idle and under load (playing a 4k x1 game).thanks.

Lettuce

Had to get my Project Scorpio system unchanged and the new system it louder than my old one and has that annoying buzzing sound to the fan, my old console when at the dash you couldnt hear the fan at all but with this one you can hear the fan at the dash. I might send it back to amazon for a replacement

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine doesn't usually make a lot of noise. The fan kicks in quite a bit more after the Witcher 3 patch, but for the most part it only revs up for a few seconds every now and then playing most games.

I've had mine in constant use for the last two weeks during an incredibly hot summer in Australia (36c now, 42c for the next two days) and so far it's been silent.

If I listen for it during Halo 5, I can hear a soft whir of the fan but I have to specifically listen for it. So far the experience feels really premium; I'm loving it. My console sits mounted on a (non visible) piece of foam to remove vibration on a speaker stand with open air all around it; so it's not a typical home set up (an enclosed cabinet with no free air flow).

Last edited:
I have a scorpio edition and all my games are downloaded, The only noise I ever notice is my external 3tb ticking along as it writes stuff.

-Xenokai-

Neo Member
Ive had my X since day one and not a single problem, Ive played nearly all enhanced titles. Only game that has ever got the fan to kick in a little is gears in the performance mode on campaign and even then its not even louder then the OG X1 when it was under load. I leave the system on for days at a time like I did with my OG X1. My OG system was one I bought at launch day in 2013 and it still works perfectly, boxed it up when I got the X.

freefornow

Gold Member
My OG One was quiet (that big, low revolution fan payed dividends). My1X is more noticeable but only when there are no other ambient sounds.
Feel like some use their consoles as a pillow when gaming. Ear pressed against it.
Air that moves is never silent. Go outside and experience the phenomenon called "wind". Heck, try "wafting breeze".

Codes 208

Id say the noise level is low. Very low. It is there, i do hear a very low fan while its either first put into sleep mode for a few minutes or when game sessions get a little too long. On occasions, depending on load and what game, Ive noticed a sharp increase like a fan suddenly whirring up for a few several seconds then going back in silence as if nothing happened.

Overall though, it does seem quieter than my PS4 (the matte OG) and my older XBOS. Its certainly quiter than the ol' 360 days.

csrogue

Neo Member
My X is silent, can only tell its on because of my external hard drive's noise. Unfortunately I am going to have to get it swapped as it has numerous issues, not least of which is installing games is a lottery, keeps stopping during install. Add to that it shuts down instead of standby and locks out controller input at random.

So I will be back in the noise lottery. Hope the replacement they send me is quiet too, couldn't get them to agree to a brand new one on advance exchange though. I was told it would be a repair. If its noisy I'll be raising a new swap with them.

My X is really silent. Just making noises sometimes during games. My pro on the otherhand... jesus christ, sometimes it sounds like a jet enginge going off

MrBenchmark

Realistically very very light fan exhaust noise from rear if absolutely no noise in room disc in drive slight drive noise. And that is playing game with 4k and HDR. Unlike my PS4 Pro which when playing Uncharted 4 sounds like a overclocked high end PC that is all fan cooled.

Luckily I never play in a quiet room since my home theater is a full Atmos setup.

//DEVIL//

Something I need to point. When I made this thread. I used to a scorpio edition and the fan used to kick in a little during Gears of War 4 main menu. anyway since I really didn't care much about Xbox, I sold my scorpio edition for lil profit ( even though used ) and I figured i would get one later.

Anyway my friend runs a local store and he told me there is almost brand new console for 300$ ( still wrapped, the guy got it as gift and opened the seal only for some weird reason ). So i sold my old PS4 ( I also have a pro) for 150$ and I got the X for additional 150$ ( I am guessing best deal ever ) . Anyway to the point. This new system also emit a faint coil whine if i am very close to the system I can hear it ( if the room is muted and i am like 30 cm away from the console )

However, I do not hear the fan kicking in a little during the Gears of war 4 main menu. So i am going to guess the thermal paste of each console is applied differently. and its affecting the console temperature enough for the fan to kick in to higher gear a little

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Had it for a while now and still whisper quiet. Playing a lot of Forza Horizon 3 lately and it hasn't been much louder than it normally is when idle on the dashboard. Strangely, the loudest its been is when I was playing Fable II through backwards compatibility. I would have thought that had put the least strain on the system from the titles I've played.

Last edited:
Hey guys, is this normal? My Xbox one X scorpio edition is placed inside an open tv shelf, on the upper shelf.
Looks similar like this: https://img.letgo.com/images/5d/9d/c6/cb/5d9dc6cbfc2e7d2a0447882f85d903da.jpg?impolicy=img_900
It's in the middle of the shelf and there's a lot of space on the sides and above. It's placed close to the edge so there's a plenty of centimeters behind the console as well, perhaps 12-15cm. But somehow the fans start to kick in pretty much instantly when I start a 4K game, like Assassins Creed Origins. The fan is loud and not consistent with loudness at 75-85% .
It feels like the "wall" on the shelf tv shelf works like a mirror so the air bounces back into the Xbox. It doesn't seem to handle it that well. However I've heard way louder Xbox one Xs' on youtube.

I tried to put it on the floor instead with no wall behind and it's much quieter. Not 100% quiet like the good old OG Xbox One but loudness 37-38B. So even on the floor it's not quiet and the fan isn't consistent. When I say not consistent it reminds of a wind. I'm sitting 3 metres away in the couch with AC origins running.
One solution is I could ask for an exchange Xbox and try that if it's any different. If it's not working I'll just return the exchange Xbox and let MS the problem was fixed. If I go to dashboard menu it's dead quiet.

Will loose my precious Scorpio edition design if I make an exchange (so i've heard) but I'd choose a quiet console any day. It's also been 6 months since launch so MS must have improved the internal design by now. Or wait until fall and be guaranteed a newer console.

Last edited:
Scorpio edition. Zero noise at all times whether idle or gaming for hours on end. Probably played on it an average of 10-20 hrs a week since launch (wish I had time for far more). Overall an amazing piece of hardware and easily the best console and overall gaming/ecosystem experience I've ever had.

Rickeh

had two xbox one s's both with really bad coil wine, got fed up replaced the internal fan with a silent PC fan (is quieter than my one x) and still going strong. Did have an original phat xbox one (fallout 4 1tb bundle) that was so quiet that I wasn't even sure there was a working fan in there!

For reference the coil wine was this constant ticking noise that started as soon as the console was powered on. Worst was when i was trying to watch a blu ray with this annoying noise in the background!

Dlacy13g

mine is inside an entertainment center but the front door is a vented screen so not soundproof but having it at launch I have never heard it spinning up or fan noise. it's really a good piece of kit.

Boss Man

Only thing I've noticed is that it's got an annoying buzz when a disc is spinning. So it's loud when watching a blu-ray or installing a game.

DavidGzz

If it were not for my display showing me otherwise, I'd think it was off. Hope they keep the team that was responsible for it.

I just measured my X PS edition to 51db during AC:O and 4K gameplay. Think that's a bit too much and Ps4 Pro all over again. So UPS will collect it tomorrow and send it to MS. Hope I'll get a new one. Doesn't really matter if it's PS or OG. The advance exchange option wasn't available. Think it was because I own a PS edition and not the regular one so MS may want to fix it by themselves.

Hope for the best... already dreaming of a quiet console that some of you guys are writing about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom