• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you got an Xbox one X ? Share your noise level

bigfootjumpsuit

Neo Member
I have a faint buzzing sound when playing GOW4 and shadow of war. I can hear it when game sounds/music are off and have a hard time making out the sound even when volumes are low and I sit about 8 ft from tv. Doesn't happen with other non 4k games. Don't know if normal or not.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Two Scorpio Editions and one regular X edition and besides installing a game from disk all 3 and virtually silent.

All 3 laying horizontal and are pretty much in the open.

When playing non-enhanced games it is silent. Mine is a Scorpio console. When playing Gears or TR, the blower fan kicks in periodically for a couple of seconds which I assume is triggered by the internal heat level reaching XXX. It's kind of a whooshing sound.

Everyone that I speak to in real life has the exact same experience.

Randomly, I tried connecting, and placing a Arctic Breeze USB fan blowing across the top of the console from the rear and this significantly cools the top right section towards the back and reduces the amount of times that the blower activates.

My console is around 6 inches in front of an external wall with no other heat generating devices within 2 feet of the console. The external wall gets very hot, like an external wall would get on a summers day.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nope.

These X robots are the worst, deserve a ban really

This is same as people saying “your Pro is loud, mine isn’t!”

Garbage

We all have the same X right now and right now there is faint coil whine from every unit.

Deal with it

Dude what lol.

Did I say there wasn't coil whine?

You gonna be ok over there?

MANGOD

Banned
Compared to my pro this thing is silent. Only ever heard it when a disk has been installing and at that its far from an issue

Walshicus

Nope.

Garbage

We all have the same X right now and right now there is faint coil whine from every unit.

Deal with it

Basically silent.

Can we stop with the vacuum PS4 Pro comments, as one this is about the Xbox One X sound/noise level, and two you are making it sound like every Pro is loud when that isn't the case.

Nope.

Garbage

Deal with it

You guys going to be ok?

PS4 and Pro are loud guys it's ok. Tolerance varies based on personal preference, personal set up/ambient noise and your console manufacturer preference. I played on my PC all the time in the same room as my wife and everytime I gamed on my PS4 she asked why my PC was making so much noise. It makes sense, it's a small package with a large SoC and power supply to cool. The Xbox One X has a more expensive cooling and power solution so it's quieter.

Also X robots? Well I guess you're fair and balanced because you mentioned "people" bitching about people bitching about PS noise lol.

knerl

Nope.

Garbage

Deal with it

No you don't all have the same X. There can be variations in components used depending on the factory they come from etc. or someone just might have had bad luck getting a unit that's a bit faulty. Could be a bad PSU for instance.

HoldSteady

Neo Member
Honestly I don’t hear it all. My Original Xbox One and PS4 would sound like they were preparing to take flight at times. Really impressed how quiet it is.

I can hear a whine coming from it when it's on and the room is quiet, but I'm very sensitive to noises, especially high pitched ones. I can often hear them coming from TV screens themselves if I'm close enough.

I know people have already complained about comparisons, but I have to say it's night and day with my PS4 Pro. That's not too loud, but the X is much quieter.

Malcolm9

You guys going to be ok?

PS4 and Pro are loud guys it's ok. Tolerance varies based on personal preference, personal set up/ambient noise and your console manufacturer preference. I played on my PC all the time in the same room as my wife and everytime I gamed on my PS4 she asked why my PC was making so much noise. It makes sense, it's a small package with a large SoC and power supply to cool. The Xbox One X has a more expensive cooling and power solution so it's quieter.

Also X robots? Well I guess you're fair and balanced because you mentioned "people" bitching about people bitching about PS noise lol.

Except my Pro is quiet, so your logic is wrong.

MS have done a cracking job with the X though for sure.

Played ww2 for 5 hours straight on sunday, didnt hear the fan kick in once. I was amazed because sunday was pretty hot.

So consider me suitably impressed.
I will use this as a point to say that my Pro gets so loud with this game that I just don't want to play anymore. One of the reasons I'm buying an X with hope that is quite.
Sorry for derailing, I will post once again once I have the X on my hands.

crpav

Silent? No noise? I don't know if I buy that. I don't know how to upload and share a recording I did of mine at lunch with my phone inches from the machine but it does have a typical low fan cooling hum. I play with my sound low, have sensitive ears and can hear sitting way back on my couch. Again not saying anyone is lying but silent? The thing has to cool so a fan and electronics have to make some noise.

I have the Scorpio. I also notice the fan rev up and down occasionally when playing COD with full HDR and all.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You guys going to be ok?

Apply some new thermal paste if your Pro is loud. I've never noticed mine being notably loud. I may hear the fan kick up under a heavy load but that's still about 35-40db (according to my phone app at least) which is hardly murder on the ears.

Xbox One X is quieter than that (I head the HDD seeking more frequently than I hear the system fans there) but either way, neither are disruptively loud.

If I have to mash my ear against a system to hear coil whine, that's called a non issue.

Nope.

Garbage

Deal with it

Calling people X-robots

Backseat modding talking about how "XRobots all deserve a ban"

Saying "deal with it"

Literally all things outlined against the ToS here on NeoGAF. Jesus Christ, just because 99% of people here and on Resetera have silent XBXs doesn't mean you need to blow up so hard. Why the outburst?

Raide

Pretty much silent. When the room is really quiet, I can hear a faint hum of the fan but I have to get pretty close to notice.

Orcus

I haven't heard any fan noise above my ambient background noise, which is fairly quiet. This includes when I have my headphones off and the TV muted. I can barely hear the disk spinning up if there are no other sounds at that moment. I also sit about 5 ft from the Xbox when playing.

Apply some new thermal paste if your Pro is loud. I've never noticed mine being notably loud. I may hear the fan kick up under a heavy load but that's still about 35-40db (according to my phone app at least) which is hardly murder on the ears.

Xbox One X is quieter than that (I head the HDD seeking more frequently than I hear the system fans there) but either way, neither are disruptively loud.

If I have to mash my ear against a system to hear coil whine, that's called a non issue.

I will try the app, but I never claimed murder on my ears and the vacuum claim by some I'm sure is hyperbolic. Just as the whisper quiet claims are. I wouldn't call it quiet, not compared to my PC anyway. The only piece of electronics that's louder is my OG Xbox 360.

Where are you measuring from with your phone?

No Pro here. OG PS4

MilkyJoe

Nope.

Garbage

Deal with it

Come to my house and have a listen, you maniac.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My ps pro is pretty silent. I wonder if people are mistaking disk drive noise for the fan?

My Pro is also silent (though audible when playing stuff like Lost Legacy and Horizon). This is especially true if you do not have the Pro vertical.

My Scorpio Edition is still the quietest console I've owned, but the Pro is second. Far quieter than my Star Wars PS4 was.

Also, in regards to the Xbox One X and Liquid Cooling: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-one-x-vapor-cooling-system,34787.html

Nope.

This is same as people saying ”your Pro is loud, mine isn't!"

Garbage

Deal with it

My PS4 Pro gets loud as fuck with certain games..oddly enough it happens when in the pause menu with a few of them. My X1X is silent. Like I havent even heard any noise other then the disc drive. Granted my play sessions are usually no longer then 2 hours, but still there's a big difference. (with my units anyways)

Chronos24

I think one of the things we should note here is the games in which we are playing on the X. Should narrow down any causes of those experiencing noise of any sort.

Apples_89

Can anyone describe the sound of a coil whine?Mine just arrived today and ever since it's been turned on there is this subtle raspy noise coming from it. It doesn't sound like air blowing that you'd typically hear from a fan, more like a dull whirling sound emitting from some component moving inside. The weird thing is that it doesn't even slightly go down in pitch when the system is im rest mode. My OG PS4, Pro and day one xbox one are dead silent in rest, whereas this one I can hear in a silent room over 15 feet away. Anyone else experiencing something similar or should I be concerned?

Isurus

From where I sit, I can’t hear a damn thing. That’s all that matters to me. I could hear a faint sound of the fan from my S, but absolutely nothing from the X. If I wasn’t looking, I couldn’t say if it was on or not.

This thread is painful to read. The OP was very specific about the conditions to which he was requesting.
You guys remind me of most of my students. You tell them something and they interpret it as “I’ll do it my way and that’s fine.”
Most of you probably aren’t to big into science. If I had an Xbox X I would:
Put in a game
Mute everything in the room (fans, etc)
Get within 1-2 feet of the console
Listen
Possibly repeat with another game
Then report back to Neogaf

We are comparing Xbox x to Xbox x. Your experiences with other consoles doesn’t matter. Is your Xbox x loud or not? If you can barely hear it from within 2 feet...it’s not loud. If it sounds loud from 2 feet, it’s loud.

Sorry, OP. I know what you meant.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This thread is painful to read. The OP was very specific about the conditions to which he was requesting.
You guys remind me of most of my students. You tell them something and they interpret it as “I’ll do it my way and that’s fine.”
Put in a game
Listen

We are comparing Xbox x to Xbox x. Your experiences with other consoles doesn’t matter. Is your Xbox x loud or not? If you can barely hear it from within 2 feet...it’s not loud. If it sounds loud from 2 feet, it’s loud.

That’s what I did but thanks for patronising me. Thank God your not my teacher.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nope.

Garbage

Deal with it

Can't hear any noise from mine except from initial disc load, my PS4 sounds like a fighter jet under load. Microsofts Surface design team in charge of the xbox design now know what they're doing with cooling.

Deal with it.

B D Joe

I have to give microsoft credit for making one of the quietest consoles ive ever owned. Even inserting a disc has a nice feel to it and this is definitely a premium console. Like others on here the only noise is when installing from a disc then once that stops it's inaudible from my sofa about 5-6 feet away

I have a new white version pro sat next to it on an open space shelf unit so plenty of air. And the pro is loads noisier from even the cheaper sounding optical drive to the constant fan noise even at idle. I've owned 3 pro's since launch and heard 2 friend's models and none are as quiet as the 1X . I'm not knocking the pro as it's a great machine but i just don't believe a whisper quiet one exists and if anyone really does own one i'll happily swap mine for it...

petrus91

Near silent for me, some coil whine under load but it might be normal. Standard edition (No Scorpio). I sit, let's say, 60 cm away from my console since I play on a monitor. I measured 41 db on GoW4 at peak with an iPhone app near the right vent entrance on the console. Pretty good.
For instance, the same app measured aroud 50 db on my Pro, especially during Unch4 and Horizon, gotta try some BB and TLoU:R.
Pretty satisfied with the engineering behind this thing, very well built console.

//DEVIL//

Put in a game
Listen

i know right ? i tried to be specific. and explain exactly how test works. all I from from some trolls are worst the feedback ever. some guys were legit. but most others are clear fanboys. i mean jesus. its a video game console :/

Lucifon

My PS4 Pro gets loud as fuck with certain games..oddly enough it happens when in the pause menu with a few of them. My X1X is silent. Like I havent even heard any noise other then the disc drive. Granted my play sessions are usually no longer then 2 hours, but still there's a big difference. (with my units anyways)

I genuinely believe this is when pause menus operate with an unlocked framerate. As a result the PS4 just decides to ramp the hell up and run that menu at 100%. It happens in so many games on pause menus that it's the only thing I can think is happening for it to occur on such a system wide level.

arhra

Did some quick testing using a sound meter app on my phone (not exactly a highly-accurate calibrated scientific instrument, but the numbers should be good enough to compare to each other), with the phone positioned roughly a foot away from the front of both consoles. With everything powered fully off, the room was reading at around 32-33 dB.

For the One X, idling on the dash resulted in basically no change from ambient, except maybe it was ticking over to 33 a little more often. Playing a game (RotTR, tested in both native 4K and the 4K enriched mode, in the Geothermal Valley) pushed noise levels up to ~34dB, with occasional peaks at 35, and nothing I could do seemed to push it any higher than that. The only thing that did push it higher was plugging my external drive in, which pushed it up to ~38dB.

And since the thread has gone there anyway, I tested the Pro as well. At the main menu, it settled at around 33-34dB. Launching a game (Horizon Zero Dawn) and playing for a while brought that up to 35-36 or so. Opening the map, for whatever reason, causes the fan to go nuts and spikes the readings up to over 40dB (which is something I've heard it do occasionally when stressed in other games too, but the Horizon map is guaranteed to make it ramp up to full quickly).

However, loudness levels alone don't tell the whole story - the tone and pitch of the noise also affects how it's perceived, and while my Xbox's external drive isn't much *quieter* on an absolute scale than the Pro's fan on full blast, the Pro's fan on full blast is a much higher pitched and more intrusive sound than the low hum of the HDD. Luckily it's a fairly rare occurrence.

So in summary, most of the time, the Pro alone is a tiny bit noisier than the X alone, but once I factor in the external, the X is actually louder in general use. However, when stressed the Pro's fan gets much louder, while I've yet to manage to get the X's fan to crank up to any noticeable degree.

But honestly they're both pretty damn quiet systems most of the time, certainly compared to last-gen when I had the original models of the 360 and PS3, both of which where noisy as hell. In general gameplay usage, when sitting on the couch with the TV audio at a comfortable level, the noise levels of both systems are a complete non-issue (until I open the map in Horizon, because reasons).

Pantz

Gold Member
Not playing games: Zero sound even with ear up next to it.
Playing games: Very faint sound with ear next to it... maybe the sound of 2 ladybugs having sex. No fan noise.

It's the quietest console I've had post 1999.

tommyguns

Not playing games: Zero sound even with ear up next to it.
Playing games: Very faint sound with ear next to it... maybe the sound of 2 ladybugs having sex. No fan noise.

It's the quietest console I've had post 1999.

Jeez.

My X while not playing games on dashboard. Audible slight hum/tick. Sounds like hard drive noise?

WHile playing games. Same noise. Plus fan noise depending on the game. Wolfenstein 2 got it quite loud with the fan constantly running during gameplay.

In comparison, my pro is straight up silent on the dashboard with no game being played.

ShapeGSX

Mine is one of the loud ones, unfortunately. It makes a sound like wind blowing forcefully through a window when the system gets pushed. I am debating sending it in for repair.

Don't pay attention to the overall noise since the camera is quite close to the system. I can't hear the normal drone during gameplay. Listen for the "whoosh" of air at 1:18 and at 3:20.

https://youtu.be/GqCozmM-Ako

crpav

Mine is one of the loud ones, unfortunately. It makes a sound like wind blowing forcefully through a window when the system gets pushed. I am debating sending it in for repair.

Don't pay attention to the overall noise since the camera is quite close to the system. I can't hear the normal drone during gameplay. Listen for the "whoosh" of air at 1:18 and at 3:20.

https://youtu.be/GqCozmM-Ako

I said it before and say it again. THERE IS NO WAY THIS SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY SILENT. If it is then I don't know what to believe anymore.

Yours sounds like mine basically> I was so close to doing an advanced exchange but decided to say no. I don't want to return a working scorpio for a refurbed unit which may not be a scorpio and possibly be damaged, scratched and worse than what I have.

Also thought about returning to Best Buy as I have until Tuesday but with it being opened I don't think I would get a refund and only an exchange for a non scorpio.

In the end, don't worry about it.

Top Bottom