• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you want to know about Ultron? No strings attached, I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

One of the most electrifying villains in the Marvel Universe, sorry ZZZaxxx. He has a long and storied history. But I will just do the highlights. Avengers 2 seems to be based off Ultron Unlimited

Ultron starts out as an experiment in artificial intelligence by Hank Pym, it quickly became self aware and hypnotized Hank into forgetting him.

IhgrCHU.jpg

His next notable appearance is as Ultron 5, who created The Vision using the body of the Original Human Torch, who was an android

SjyojV0.jpg

Then there was Ultron 6 who went full adamantium, dual head carbs, and manual gearbox.
Ultron-6.jpg

Ultron 8 wanting to love creates Jocasta who is based on his "mom" Wasp

Later Ultron 13 decides to give it another go kidnaps Mockingbird and uses her brain as a base for his new mate War Toy!!
utMZLj3.jpg

Ultron makes a few more minor appearances, but his next big play is the one he is best known for. He recreated every past version of himself and invaded the country of Solernia. And killed every living thing

zgRSTac.jpg

The Avengers went to stop them and fought hundreds of copies of Ultron, thank god they were just made of lesser nearly indestructible metals.

But even then it took Hank wielding Antarctic Vibnerium aka Antimetal to take him down.

When next seen Ultron takes on the female form of his mother Wasp. Only to be destroyed by the power of a Million exploding suns.
Mighty_Avengers_Vol_1_2_Textless.jpg

Ultron was next seen controlling then Phalanx, a techno organic race trying to infect all life in the universe. He was stopped by a bunch of assholes.
background.jpg

Then there was the Age of Ultron, which wasn't that good and involved a lot of time travel fuckery. But to summarize it, Ultron is gone and he ain't coming back.......yet.

What makes Ultron so dangerous is that he can never be defeated the same way twice. When Wonder Man shook his internal circuitry apart, the next version was made of solid adamantinum, to move he literally rearrange every molecule in his body to do it.

That and his motivations and attack methods vary from version to version. Thats what makes him so interesting, even thought he does have those traits being an evil robot that wants to destroy all humans. He is also very human himself, batshit crazy, but human still.

Essental reading
Avengers #54-#58
Avengers #66-#68
Avengers #157-#168
Secret Wars #1-#12
Avengers #19-#22
Avengers #212=#230
Annihilation: Conquest #1-#6

Thread dedicated to Wolf Swag and Ultron's dog Rex. RIP

Askani

Thanks for the knowledge drop. It's always nice to confirm what I know and learn what I didn't know. I appreciate Comic GAF.

Ultron Unlimited is one of my favorite Avengers arcs. Really glad Whedon is seemingly taking some ideas from that story.

Ditto. And Whedon is smart enough to know that if he is adapting it, the Avengers must have words with Ultron at the end.

And I haven't read the story in years. I totally forgot about Ultron using the pile of corpses to make his face on the ground so the news would see it.

EDIT: Slayven, you didn't mention the fact that hottie Ultron was born by taking over Tony Starks body and turning it into a robotic woman.
Or are you trying to erase that shit story like you are Age of Ultron?

ultron87

Ultron Unlimited is the reason I have this user name everywhere. Loved it, even if the convenient can of anti-metal at the end was a little silly. It is going to be really weird going from obscure comic villain name as username to biggest movie of the year villain as username.

Drayco21

Ultron is such a cool character, not even lame shit like the female-tony-stark body thing or Age of Ultron can hold him back.

I'm still holding out hope that Ultron will upload himself to a body up in space after Age of Ultron and his inevitable defeat, and they combine the plots of both Annihilation series into one film since they don't have rights to Annihilus. Have Ultron show up and destroy Xandar, use the Phalanx as the Wave, ect. Though I guess Rich can't exactly pull Ultron inside out.

why do they keep making new ones? Surely once the first one went bad and they destroyed it, you'd kind of just not try doing that again?

Most of the time he builds his new bodies himself- it's part of why he's been so hard to deal with for the Avengers. Every time they expose one chasis' weakness, he simply transfers to another and upgrades it to no longer be vulnerable the same way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why do they keep making new ones? Surely once the first one went bad and they destroyed it, you'd kind of just not try doing that again?

anyway, that OP was a bit mind melting. Basically he's a bad robot?

"Antarctic Vibnerium aka Antimetal"

Never change, comics.

Maybe do.

It's definitely a silly resolution but who cares when the story is so good. It really cemented Ultron as one of the most vicious, unrepentant villains the Avengers have ever faced.

In addition to the original Busiek version I also recommend people check out the Ultron arc in the first season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They did a fantastic job adapting the story and that version of Ultron is really well-done and imposing.

He's not a robot he's an AI. And he keeps rebuilding himself. They can never really stop Ultron for good.

Awesome thread OP. I wonder if hell make an appearance in Ant Man since Pym was involved with the original concept. I know Ant Man will come after Avengers 2 so not really sure unless they just throw in a cameo.

On Annihilation Conquest, Ultron is to blame for the death and slavement of hundreds of worlds.

I blame Hank Pym on a universal scale. If Reed Richards got blamed on the Trial of Galactus, so should Pym :mad:

Parch

Hmm. It will be interesting to see what they actually do with the character. I'm thinking it's just going to be a generic, hard to beat, ranting bad guy and picked Ultron because he's scary looking.
In other words I'm not expecting much.

Schattenjäger;135582496 said:
Wouldn't an infinity gauntlet equipped Thanos just shit on Ultron?

Well yeah, with the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos is basically God. He can snap his fingers and kill anybody, or everybody. Or change the nature of reality. He could cancel DC Comics titles if he wanted to. Or become part of the real world outside of comic books. He's aware of other realities, and could change Happy Days so Fonzie dies in season one if he wanted a laugh.

Without the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos is still completely leagues above Ultron, as well as basically anyone else outside of personified abstract concepts in the MU like Death and Eternity (or Galactus). And even against "people" like them, well... he'll figure something out.

They dont. Ultron rebuilds himself. He is an AI that can upload himself anywhere. He's practically immortal.

Awesome thread OP. I wonder if hell make an appearance in Ant Man since Pym was involved with the original concept. I know Ant Man will come after Avengers 2 so not really sure unless they just throw in a cameo.

There is a confirmed flashback in Ant-Man with Pym, Howard Stark and Peggy Carter. Maybe that's where the idea for Ultron came about, and was later scrapped to be revived by Tony.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Schattenjäger;135582496 said:
Wouldn't an infinity gauntlet equipped Thanos just shit on Ultron?

Thanos doesn't need the gauntlet to crush Ultron, it wouldn't be a contest.

They dont. Ultron rebuilds himself. He is an AI that can upload himself anywhere. He's practically immortal.

Immortal, learns from his mistakes, and the only constant is how much he hates living things.

Ultron is pretty scary, is the very concept of technology gone wrong.

Dash27

Think Skynet. You'd have to kill the internet.

Well yeah, with the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos is basically God. He can snap his fingers and kill anybody, or everybody. Or change the nature of reality. He could cancel DC Comics titles if he wanted to. Or become part of the real world outside of comic books.

No, because they showed that the gems don't work in the DC universe.

3034397-darkseidinfinity.jpg

Ein Bear

I'm still holding out hope that Ultron will upload himself to a body up in space after Age of Ultron and his inevitable defeat, and they combine the plots of both Annihilation series into one film since they don't have rights to Annihilus. Have Ultron show up and destroy Xandar, use the Phalanx as the Wave, ect. Though I guess Rich can't exactly pull Ultron inside out.

This would be fucking amazing. Kind of wish you hadn't said it... I'm pre-emptively disappointed that it probably won't happen now.

No, because they showed that the gems don't work in the DC universe.

3034397-darkseidinfinity.jpg

So Superman or Darkseid could wreck Thanos even with the IG?

Interesting...

Sorry, I had to.

On topic: Thanks OP, will try to find those that you mentioned, I want to learn more about Ultron, even if that means that I'll spoil myself (like I did with Winter Soldier).

Ithil

So why is he evil exactly?

His brain patterns are based on Hank Pym's, so instead of being an objective robot everything negative in Pym's mind was ramped up to eleven and Ultron becomes basically sociopathic and hating of anything living.
In Avengers AoU, his brain patterns will presumably be based on Tony Stark's, so, uh, yeah you can see where a robot mind based on that might go wrong.

Slayven

His brain is based on Hank Pym's, so instead of being an objective robot everything negative in Pym's mind was ramped up to eleven and Ultron becomes basically sociopathic and hating of anything living.

Imagine if he was based on Reed Richards?

Choomp

Banned
As for the MCU I can see Ultron being the best Marvel villain. I'm in love with the casting choice and judging by the trailer he's gonna be really cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom