• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you're European and love import ?

Raist

Banned
Well, rejoice, the european union council has decided to raise the threshold value for imported goods.
There won't be any taxes for imports with a value up to 150€, as compared to 22€ until now.

The value limit of ECU 22 set out in Article 27 of Regulation (EEC) No 918/83 has not been increased since 1991, whereas at the same time customs duties have been significantly reduced or even abolished.
Accordingly, it is appropriate to increase the value limit for consignments of negligible value.

in Article 27 the value of ECU 22 shall be replaced by EUR 150;

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:085:0001:0002:EN:PDF

Go Rockband ?

EDIT : wait a bit before celebrating...

It shall apply from 1 December 2008.

El-Suave

I think this goes into effect on December 1st - so you'd have to wait for extra cheap Rock Band quite a bit more.

Kosma

Banned
eu_flag.jpg

Indeed

So let me get this straight.

From December 1st. on importing games, or everything for that matter, from the US will be free? (Except shipping)

kaleii

So this will probably happen before the PS3 version is out here in Europe
OH MY GOD I HOPE NOT

Xater

Indeed said:
So let me get this straight.

From December 1st. on importing games, or everything for that matter, from the US will be free? (Except shipping)

Exactly. No duties for everything below 150€.

So can UK Customs still try and charge 17.5% VAT / import duty or are their hands tied by this rule?

If yes, FUCKING WIN.
I was nailed for that on a Japanese DS lite when they first came out.

Xater

radioheadrule83 said:
So can UK Customs still try and charge 17.5% VAT / import duty or are their hands tied by this rule?

If yes, FUCKING WIN.

The UK is part of the EU right?

BTW I was also charged alot for a DS. Although it was the original one.

Fxp

Good news, everyone!
P.S. Just today I paid approx. $60 VAT for my replaced Wii (under warranty) sent from Canada.

painey

GOD BLESS EUROPE
CONTINENT THAT I LOVE
STAND BESIDE HER
AND GUIDE HER
THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOVE
FROM THE EIFFEL TOWER,
TO THE VATICAN,
TO THE OLD MILLENNIUM DOME
GOD BLESS EUROPE
MY HOME SWEET HOME

Firebrand

Does this affect the VAT though? Right now, here in Sweden at least, we don't have to pay customs fees if the value is below these 22 euros, but we do have to pay a lovely 25% VAT regardless. Fortunately for me, they haven't looked at any of my game imports so far.

abq

radioheadrule83 said:

If yes, FUCKING WIN.
The doctrine of supremacy states that EC law gets precedence over national law.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as an american store owner who sees a ton of EU orders (THANK YOU WEAK DOLLAR!!) this news couldn't possibly be better.

MrHicks said:
is this for imports from any country?

yes, it is.

im getting 90% of my games and merchandise from either Japan or the US, since forever. this is indeed good news.

and god bless the weak dollar!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Now if only Canada would follow suit.

Free trade with America is fine and dandy, but why the fuck am I being hit with a tariff on a $20 CAD (15 euro) item from Hong Kong?

Walshicus

painey said:
GOD BLESS EUROPE
CONTINENT THAT I LOVE
STAND BESIDE HER
AND GUIDE HER
THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOVE
FROM THE EIFFEL TOWER,
TO THE VATICAN,
TO THE OLD MILLENNIUM DOME
GOD BLESS EUROPE
MY HOME SWEET HOME
Where did that come from?

And now I'm going to have to google whether the ECU had a 1:1 exchange rate with the €uro. I should remember stuff like that... :S

Top Bottom