• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social media is dumb

Riven326

Banned
I love forums. I've been using them close to 20 years. But Instagram, Facebook, and other social media platforms bore the fuck out of me. I have to forced myself to post pictures on Instagram. I just don't care if other people see parts of my life. I mean, who gives a fuck?

All of it is just so boring. I don't know how people can become so invested in it or why they care what other people think. Most of these people are random strangers.

mickaus

I think it depends on the platform and the community using it. I haven't used Facebook for almost 10 years and don't really need to. I find that with NeoGaf I usually post only after I think of something interesting to say, so I just browse most of the time. Maybe just give the other social media platforms a break for a week or two and see if you actually miss it.

T.v

Why even participate then, if you need to force yourself? I agree with you though. I partook in social media for all of two weeks over a decade ago and knew it wasn't for me. It was shallow attention seeking even back then and it has only gotten worse with the advent of Twitter and Insta and the likes. I hate the term Influencer so goddamn much.

Riven326

Banned
Why even participate then, if you need to force yourself? I agree with you though. I partook in social media for all of two weeks over a decade ago and knew it wasn't for me. It was shallow attention seeking even back then and it has only gotten worse with the advent of Twitter and Insta and the likes. I hate the term Influencer so goddamn much.
I've only posted three pictures since joining Instagram a few months ago. I thought it might be fun. I soon realized that I just don't care about it. It got me wondering why so many others do. What am I doing different than these millions of other people? Why do people care about "likes" so much?

The one thing I do find useful about social media is how easy it is to find people from my past that I lost contact with years ago. But that's where it begins and ends for me.

I've only posted three pictures since joining Instagram a few months ago. I thought it might be fun. I soon realized that I just don't care about it. It got me wondering why so many others do. What am I doing different than these millions of other people? Why do people care about "likes" so much?

The one thing I do find useful about social media is how easy it is to find people from my past that I lost contact with years ago. But that's where it begins and ends for me.

I never understood this bit either. There's a reason those motherfuckers are in the past and it's because they didn't cut the grade for the future 🤷‍♂️

Tesseract

Banned
I never understood this bit either. There's a reason those motherfuckers are in the past and it's because they didn't cut the grade for the future 🤷‍♂️
i tend to share the same view

not all that interested in rekindling unless the entangled souls are positive forces

on a more personal level, i got almost no tolerance for whiners who point the finger at everyone but themselves

Last edited:
i tend to share the same view

not all that interested in rekindling unless the entangled souls are positive forces

on a more personal level, i got almost no tolerance for whiners who point the finger at everyone but themselves
Only person i've bothered to meet from my past was a girl i used to be crazy about, like crazy crazy. I met her again and there was nothing, no feeling, no connection (on my end). She had gone from unique, interesting mind to empty NPC meme-ing fuck-pocket.

I felt validated about keeping everyone else in the past.

Some for sure. Others I just pushed away. But you change as you get older and so do they.

Usually for the worst

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Only person i've bothered to meet from my past was a girl i used to be crazy about, like crazy crazy. I met her again and there was nothing, no feeling, no connection (on my end). She had gone from unique, interesting mind to empty NPC meme-ing fuck-pocket.

I felt validated about keeping everyone else in the past.
sad thing to see when someone you care about gets destroyed by the mind virus

pulling them out of it is almost impossible, mutiliates your soul

Amory

Idk. I don't personally post anything, but I'm glad my actual friends and family do so I can scroll through and see them and what they're up to when we haven't seen each other for a while

Birdo

Banned
It all depends on how you use it.

I have about twenty Facebook friends. They are all people I know and see sometimes. I've never had a problem with it.

Same with instagram. I share pics with friends. It's simple and fun. I've never seen a problem.

Stop following thousands of people you don't know.

Dacon

Banned
Social media is literally a cancer eating away at the heart of society's conscience.

Between Twitter and Universities I don't know which is worse, but they've both heavily contributed to the worsening political relationship of citizens of America.

They've actively engineered a destructive religion of insanity that drives people to ridiculous lengths.

People don't even think about what they're doing anymore. They're so convinced that what they're doing is right, and that constant dopamine hit from the like button from other people who have succumbed to this lunacy only encourages this bad behavior.

Last edited:
Idk. I don't personally post anything, but I'm glad my actual friends and family do so I can scroll through and see them and what they're up to when we haven't seen each other for a while
And that's the problem.

You see a quick snapshot of what people do because you haven't seen them in a while, which is usually why people haven't seen each other for a while, they don't have to because they know what they're up to.

Social media has made things anti social

DESTROYA

It’s pretty much all vapid garbage for attention seekers.
If all social platforms just up in vanished one day forever the world would be a better place and nothing of value would be lost.

Banned
I just use it to get laid.

have your orbiters, be their orbiters. When the time is right go strike

GreyHorace

I only have Facebook and I only use it to stay in touch with friends here and abroad.

I'm not much of a narcissist so I don't use Instagram. I mean, do I need people to look at my life in pictures 24/7. And Twitter sucks. So glad I never used it.

Riven326

Banned
Social media is literally a cancer eating away at the heart of society's conscience.

Between Twitter and Universities I don't know which is worse, but they've both heavily contributed to the worsening political relationship of citizens of America.

They've actively engineered a destructive religion of insanity that drives people to ridiculous lengths.

People don't even think about what they're doing anymore. They're so convinced that what they're doing is right, and that constant dopamine hit from the like button from other people who have succumbed to this lunacy only encourages this bad behavior.
Why the dopamine hit from the like button though? That's what I don't understand. If people like your stuff, great. But to get hooked on that like some kind of drug is bizarre to say the least. And I'm a Millenial. I'm told that my generation is the one most hooked on this shit.

Dacon

Banned
Why the dopamine hit from the like button though? That's what I don't understand. If people like your stuff, great. But to get hooked on that like some kind of drug is bizarre to say the least. And I'm a Millenial. I'm told that my generation is the one most hooked on this shit.

Because validation.

Look at it this way, you write some dumb virtue signaling post, and it gets like a thousand likes. A thousand people agree with you, a thousand people approve of the nonsense you wrote. It makes you feel like what you did matters, like you achieved something by making that post, because so many people liked it after all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I like instagram. Pics of animals, food, women, exotic places, guns. Its only political there if you want it to be.

OP you don't have to actually post on IG to browse it. This entire year I have made a staggering...four posts. I got friends like that too who barely post. Curate the experience to what you want & don't be afraid to unfollow people.

Riven326

Banned
I like instagram. Pics of animals, food, women, exotic places, guns. Its only political there if you want it to be.

OP you don't have to actually post on IG to browse it. This entire year I have made a staggering...four posts. I got friends like that too who barely post. Curate the experience to what you want & don't be afraid to unfollow people.
I follow certain people. The pictures they post are cool. I didn't know I had to set my account to private. I had several women message me asking me if I was single. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They are toxic trash OP, you really should stay away from them.

I learned a lot about the inner workings and objectives of social media through my own work in the digital marketing space. I wouldn’t use them even if they paid me. They are designed to fuck up with your emotional state. Unhappy people are the main users that provide engagement to Facebook/Twitter, the content recommendations algorithms silently optimize to achieve that state among the viewers.

I stopped using social media accounts back in 2015 OP. I dismantled them for good in 2018.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I create/produce music, so I like sharing my stuff on social media (ig, twitter, etc) alongside actual entertainment platforms (soundcloud, youtube, etc). I think social media is great if you're an artist, photographer, musician, etc, etc, especially if you keep your profile/page simply for artistic value. The best thing you can do is stay "lowkey" on these platforms, if not completely private aside from showcasing your cool nature/travel pics or best creative work/portfolio.

The only social media I used was twitter. It is far too negative for me. Logging out a little more than a month ago was the best thing I could do. I don't plan on going back anytime soon.

Liamario

Banned
Deleted facebook over a year ago. Don't miss it for a moment. It became nothing more than a habit. Twitter is only used like a message board at this point.

I like it. It's a great tool for communication. I get to keep in touch with so many childhood friends, friends that I'd only get to see once every few years.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Content creators post some good interesting and/or funny content sometimes. Also i like following the ufc fighters, some fitness people, artists and Instagram models lol I stay away from all politics fukk that. If I was an artist or content creator I'd probably utilize those platforms. So they have value for some individuals. Probably should only use it for business and nothing personal. Gotta keep your personal stuff private and separate it from your public persona if you choose to utilize those platforms.

I reduced my usage of social media lately, it’s a big time sink and source of procrastination, but I still go there for the few occasional nuggets. I do that out of the fear of missing out.

One thing I observed on social media is how people don’t bother having discussions anymore, most of the time we just send funny stuff back and forth and react with emojis. I remember long ago when I could have conversations with a girl before even meeting her, nowadays they won’t even reply when I first talk to them. I guess I have to build the image of a successful guy—easy to fake, but I don’t want to play that game—before their attitude changes. No one is interested in simply talking to another, everyone weighs what they potentially gain (fun, information, money, opportunities) before deciding whether to even pay attention.

Even with guys, I send messages asking what’s up or, in the case of someone possibly going through a rough spot, I ask if they want to talk but I get no response. Social media broke people’s capacity to connect. We take the attention of others for granted.

Thankfully on this forum I can write a text wall and someone will actually read it. That’s something I appreciate a lot.

Top Bottom