• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE trademark H1Z1

Syf

Banned
Did anyone hear him say anything about permadeath? Or read it somewhere? I'm still really curious about that.

10jpg-0a6364.jpg
8jpg-0a6365.jpg
11jpg-e32907.jpg
14jpg-0a6366.jpg
17jpg-e32908.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
They really need to show more in-depth gameplay that isn't over the shoulder like in the very brief trailer. I'm rather wary because from that first glimpse it looks exactly like DayZ with Rust elements built on the PlanetSide 2 engine. Oh and fire.

Right now, this screams of bandwagon jumping because they know the genre is still fresh for the picking, and that is clear because of how quickly they are pushing the game out to the public. We'll be getting early access in under a month, with paid access most likely the case if Landmark is anything to go by.

Everything that Smedley is talking about sounds interesting, but I don't know if it could be feasible. If this is going to take place on one giant server, how well will player interaction outside of America go? Will I lag terribly if I'm in Australia? Will there be local shards? That's one of the beautiful things about DayZ and Rust, I can run a local server and get the best experience possible. Its just like any FPS, lower pings are far more reasonable and allow for better enjoyment.

In saying all that, what I have heard sounds interesting. I love this genre because it allows players to be the dicks they really are, and not be punished for it. It allows experimentation and unique content to flourish because of player interaction. No two scenarios will be the same because of that gameplay. Hopefully H1Z1 can deliver on that, because they may have some rather large potential here.

That is, if they don't rush it out the door.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
They really need to show more in-depth gameplay that isn't over the shoulder like in the very brief trailer. I'm rather wary because from that first glimpse it looks exactly like DayZ with Rust elements built on the PlanetSide 2 engine. Oh and fire.

Right now, this screams of bandwagon jumping because they know the genre is still fresh for the picking, and that is clear because of how quickly they are pushing the game out to the public. We'll be getting early access in under a month, with paid access most likely the case if Landmark is anything to go by.

Everything that Smedley is talking about sounds interesting, but I don't know if it could be feasible. If this is going to take place on one giant server, how well will player interaction outside of America go? Will I lag terribly if I'm in Australia? Will there be local shards? That's one of the beautiful things about DayZ and Rust, I can run a local server and get the best experience possible. Its just like any FPS, lower pings are far more reasonable and allow for better enjoyment.

In saying all that, what I have heard sounds interesting. I love this genre because it allows players to be the dicks they really are, and not be punished for it. It allows experimentation and unique content to flourish because of player interaction. No two scenarios will be the same because of that gameplay. Hopefully H1Z1 can deliver on that, because they may have some rather large potential here.

That is, if they don't rush it out the door.

They've been working on it for a long time now. We'll be able to get in by next month, from what Smedley stated. Probably for $20.

I really hope this does well on PC and we get a PS4 version.

Kind of sums up Sony for me. Such an infuriating company sometimes. They put out some great games but also make some absolutely what the fuck decisions. I mean you'd think this is the sort of project that just makes perfect sense for a PC/PS4 release. MS get it. They're putting the State of Decay MMO on XBone. Meanwhile SCE and SOE might work together at some point in time, maybe if the game is successful on PC.

cjp

Did anyone hear him say anything about permadeath? Or read it somewhere? I'm still really curious about that.

I think he said something about you will respawn and then be able to find your corpse and loot it.

Something along those lines.

Tratorn

Did he just say that PS4 has been decided?

Yep, PS4-version is coming.
But sadly PC first... :/

Well, it's a pretty small team so it's no surprise, but I wish they would bring all these games (PS2, Everquest, H1Z1) faster to PS4 than they probably will.

Guymelef

Yes. It's confirmed. Just not a direct confirmation. May be it'll be a big announcement. Who knows.

I hate this.
Like Everquest Online they "confirmed" PS4 version, but it's not official (Like a PS Blog entry, etc...)
I think it's because PS4 versions will come long time after PC version.

Pop

We're going to have to wait 6 months probably before we see this on Ps4. This sorta thing should have been decided years ago. Pisses me off, I'm out.

Iadien

We're going to have to wait 6 months probably before we see this on Ps4. This sorta thing should have been decided years ago. Pisses me off, I'm out.

SOE is PC first more often than not.

Mifune

Mehmber
Kind of sums up Sony for me. Such an infuriating company sometimes. They put out some great games but also make some absolutely what the fuck decisions. I mean you'd think this is the sort of project that just makes perfect sense for a PC/PS4 release. MS get it. They're putting the State of Decay MMO on XBone. Meanwhile SCE and SOE might work together at some point in time, maybe if the game is successful on PC.

Well, two of SOE's big MMOs have already been confirmed for PS4 (EQ and Planetside 2). We're not sure when they're coming. But they're coming.

Iadien

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 15m
"next week we will livestream and you can expect to see screenshots and videos"

Freeman

Banned
No skills to unlock, no leveling.
Ohhh, yes... music to my ears.

edit: I hope they focus on the simulation aspect, make long rang guns difficult to use unless you know what you are doing.
edit 2: should be on PS4 from the get go or a soon as possible, no reason to do otherwise.

sunnz

I remember reading that you can trade guns and such.

Which makes me worried and makes me think there will be some global bank ( like warz has), which is very stupid. Hope it isn't the case.

Silly for me to mention since it's very early in development but I do dislike the art/ graphic style. Reminds me of warz too but I really love the guys passion and some of his ideas are great, like spark plugs and such for vehicles, which DAYZ is massively missing .

Will get this on Early access, will get it on the PS4 too, it'll give the console a huge boost being just about the first true sandbox game on a console.

I'm eager to see how much their crafting and resource systems have some on since SWG, they got everything about SWG wrong from launch up to the hologrind, through to the CU and then the NGE, but at the time it was a fabulous resources and crafting system, if they've iterated on that over the years then we might be in for something special. :)

Top Bottom