• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOEDESCO will release the Unreal Engine 4-powered 16-bit Zelda-inspired game, Airoheart

bender

What time is it?
If done well, and by well I mean OG Nintendo level quality, this could be good. But if it has even the tiny-est amount of jank, it could ruin the game. That's the risk they take by copying one of the greatest games of all time so closely.

It is way too blatant of an "homage" to be interesting to me as anything more than a fan project. Charging for it seems distasteful.

arvfab

Banned
It is way too blatant of an "homage" to be interesting to me as anything more than a fan project. Charging for it seems distasteful.

Isn't the acclaimed The Forgotten City also nothing more than a fan project turned commercial?

bender

What time is it?
Isn't the acclaimed The Forgotten City also nothing more than a fan project turned commercial?

Skyrim mod turned stand alone project, yes. That's not unheard of. I haven't really played The Forgotten City enough to comment, but the game in the OP isn't a mod for A Link To the Past but rather a clone. It would be like if the AM2R team reskinned the game and charged for it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

When I was a kid I always wished that Nintendo did a proper sequel to LTTP for the SNES. A LTTP2 with end of life perfect SNES 2D graphics and new innovative take on gameplay from Nintendo was always my dream which never happened. So I do have a soft spot for these kinds of projects. Unfortunately this just looks more like a direct take on LTTP, but you never know, I would at least like to read some feedback.

arvfab

Banned
Skyrim mod turned stand alone project, yes. That's not unheard of. I haven't really played The Forgotten City enough to comment, but the game in the OP isn't a mod for A Link To the Past but rather a clone. It would be like if the AM2R team reskinned the game and charged for it.
But this one is not an asset flip, from what I could see. It has a similar look and very similar gameplay, but has been built from ground up. It's not like the guy is trying to sell an RPG Maker game...

bender

What time is it?
When I was a kid I always wished that Nintendo did a proper sequel to LTTP for the SNES. A LTTP2 with end of life perfect SNES 2D graphics and new innovative take on gameplay from Nintendo was always my dream which never happened. So I do have a soft spot for these kinds of projects. Unfortunately this just looks more like a direct take on LTTP, but you never know, I would at least like to read some feedback.

It might turn out great but it just looks creatively bankrupt. It would be fine as a "learning how to make games" fan project, but as a commercial project, I just get "remember when" vibes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Their Kickstarter has raised $28k AUS, and it started a few years ago. So this KS program has been around.

What can you say? Some gamers want to play a modern day Zelda clone.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not happening. I love indie games and I don't mean to depreciate them, but off the top of my head I can think of one indie title that's "OG Nintendo level quality" and that's Hollow Knight.

Agreed that its not happening. I would argue that Hollow Knight isnt even at OG Nintendo level of quality. The map system and travel mechanics, especially early in the game, being some of the points that are lacking. I love HK btw.

RhyDin

Yes please have your studio of 5 people redesign every single aspect of your single player series inspired game to feature co - op or else you're lazy.
Reasonable.
I just think that it should have had this in mind from the beginning. If something like Binding of Isaac is a Zelda 1 clone with co-op and it came out ten years ago, then not including it on a Zelda 3 clone ten years later is just as lazy as the art choices here.

Bullet Club

A demo for Airoheart is out on Steam.

"Overwhelming you with a warm familiar feeling!"

Airoheart is a top-down action-adventure RPG inspired by the classics. Embark on an epic journey to save the world from evil and test the strength of your heart in this emotional tale of betrayal, tragedy and redemption. 

Top Bottom