• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solid Snake Japanese voice actor: ‘Kojima Productions has disbanded’

Hexa

Akio Otsuka, the Japanese voice actor for Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series, wrote out a heartfelt goodbye to Kojima Productions on Twitter today.

“Kojima Productions was forced to disband, but it appears that the work that the team has been putting their utmost effort into is nearly complete,” Otsuka said in a tweet. “I’m not exaggerating when I say that I expect it will become their greatest masterpiece. I couldn’t help it. I just wanted to say ‘Kept you waiting, huh?’ (Laughs.) But even if this is the end, Metal Gear Solid is immortal!”

We don’t know the fate of the Kojima Productions staff after work on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is complete. In fact, this is probably the most official statement we’ve gotten about the company’s status. Prior to this, reports citing sources from within the studio claimed Kojima Productions’ senior staff are working on Metal Gear Solid V as contractors, rather than permanent employees, and founder Hideo Kojima plans to leave alongside upper management when their contract expires in December.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/solid-sn...ima-productions-disbanded#dGdjM6jzh0rYHiEt.99

Wonder if they'll start up a new studio together. I think there's a good chance most of the other key people will end up wherever Kojima ends up too.

Fire me if old and remove my name from existence if old.

Betty

Banned
Fuck Konami.

On the bright side.

Otsuka said in a tweet. “I’m not exaggerating when I say that I expect it will become their greatest masterpiece.

It's always good to end on a high note.

tumblr_inline_nq57wu9xea1r7fr4g_500.gif

Im expecting a kickstarter late 2016 where kojima wants to finish his silent hill project, but under another name.

Kojimpls

Ridley327

Nothing new here, including the reassurance that KojiPro refused to half-ass the game, but it's always nice to have more official and personal sources, even with such unfortunate circumstances.

Walpurgis

Banned
Is there anything preventing all of Kojima Productions from leaving with Kojima to form Kojima Seductions or something? Any trademark or anti-poaching laws that might stop it?

FelipeMGM

So Sony is gonna try to top this year's E3 in 2016 by announcing that Kojima will be the head of their new ''Fox Productions'' first party studio

And his first project is ''Non-Talking Mountais''

I'm sorry

Bebpo

Banned
Hope MGSV is great and they go out with a bang.

Not expecting any patch/MGO support post-December though.

They should establish a fully independent nation, "Outer Heaven," 200 kilometers north of Galzburg, South Africa. Within the nation, Kojima will build a great fortress as his development company's main base. Outer Heaven would be a sanctuary for disillusioned video game developers, where they would not be used as pawns of their publishers, and where they would always have a place, be it in the video game development industry or in society in general.

SgtCobra

sony should hire kojima to head a new japanese studio.
I'm pretty sure Kojima and his "team" are planning their next steps, I only don't think Sony has anything to do with it. Expect some random western third party or a big Japanese company which doesn't have a lot (or even nothing) to do with games in general to fund his stuff and help him out.

Or movies.

Bebpo

Banned
Spent all those years developing Fox Engine to use it for 1 game, sad. :(

Yeah, this is probably the worst part of it. Could have probably had one more game inbetween if not for the years spent on the engine. Then again the new engine should be worth it in MGSV.

Ridley327

MGO is handled by a secondary team, Kojima Productions LA, no? Doesn't specific whether they are disbanded too.

I'm sure MGO is going to be fine and will likely be repurposed into its own service before long, but I wouldn't expect any major single player updates beyond what will be necessary in the immediate post-launch period.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I wanted to make a thread but maybe it isn't warranted so I'll ask about it in here:

How will MGO function? Surely as an online pvp experience it'll need a good flow of patches coming out at the very least for the first 6/8 months. What about it now without a team to work on them? And who knows just how much or how little DLC is done already and what are Konami's plans for that?

Do you guys think Metal Gear Online is basically dead already?

Spent all those years developing Fox Engine to use it for 1 game, sad. :(

5 games.
Sort of.
TTP, GZ, PT.
Pes14/15/16.

RangerBAD

MGO is handled by a secondary team, Kojima Productions LA, no? Doesn't specific whether they are disbanded too.

They're not called Kojima Productions LA anymore. Most of them are probably contractors too.

I wanted to make a thread but maybe it isn't warranted so I'll ask about it in here:

How will MGO function? Surely as an online pvp experience it'll need a good flow of patches coming out at the very least for the first 6/8 months. What about it now without a team to work on them? And who knows just how much or how little DLC is done already and what are Konami's plans for that?

Do you guys think Metal Gear Online is basically dead already?

Not sure, but I feel like it might not come with MGSV.

Top Bottom